Posted by SFilp • February 5, 2013 at 4:42 p.m. PST
Namco Bandai's third quarter sales for Tekken Tag Tournament 2 and Soul Calibur 5 Namco Bandai has released it's third quarter fiscal results.

Below are the sales for both Tekken Tag Tournament 2 and Soul Calibur 5.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 (PS3/360/Wii U) – 1.35 million units
SoulCalibur V (PS3/360) – 870,000 units

For some comparison, Dead or Alive 5 sold 580,000 unites and Street Fighter X Tekken moved 1.4 million units.

Via Gaming Everything and sent in by Skyrimer.

Comments

foolly said on February 5, 2013 at 4:48 p.m.

i thought people said SF X T flopped?? either way great to see Namco doing so well after all these years

dro2191 said on February 5, 2013 at 4:49 p.m.

that's awesome ttt2 deserves it, @ 1 it was the vita version that flopped

InitialR said on February 5, 2013 at 4:52 p.m.

Vigilante_8 said on February 5, 2013 at 4:53 p.m.

Sometimes I think that I'm using nostagia goggles, but I stopped caring for Soul Calibur in 3 (I played and something was off).

I wish Soul Calibur went back to be more like 2, at least on the character designs, I don't know.

the Nostalgia Goggles maybe...

htownboss23 said on February 5, 2013 at 4:54 p.m.

no way how did street fighter x tekken out did tekken tag tournament 2 well you knw what that means for street fighter x tekken MORE CHARACTERS and better story lines

Synless said on February 5, 2013 at 4:54 p.m.

I NEED DAT.

Vigilante_8 said on February 5, 2013 at 4:57 p.m.

Just noticed that I used the term 'nostalgia goggles' while using this pikachu avatar.... lol

fgclolz said on February 5, 2013 at 4:58 p.m.

The SFxT and TTT2 figures are from different periods, even DOA's. Apples, oranges and bananas really.

Damonta said on February 5, 2013 at 5:02 p.m.

The thing with SFxT is that people that hated it didn't realise their dislike for it until after they had already bought the game. The first week of release everyone was on that hype bandwagon and bought the game. A week or two later the problems with the game became more apparent and love for it quickly became hate. Maybe after the 2013 patch more people will love SFxT, but I'd say that TTT2 was more of a success in the long run because from day-1 it's had continual respect and love from the FGC and has racked in more overall profit from sponsorships and things like MLG.

Chrisuchiwa said on February 5, 2013 at 5:03 p.m.

Let's be honest here, SFxT sold 1.4 million copies in 2 months (after 1 month and 3 weeks to be precised). The article posted by Catalyst clearly showed May 7, 2012 and the game was released in March.
I think EH should clearly indicate periods of selling, this is a bit confusing.

Conclusion, we can safely say, Capcom owns us! And always wins!!

InitialR said on February 5, 2013 at 5:09 p.m.

cadnexus said on February 5, 2013 at 5:17 p.m.

You also have to consider SFxT DLC as well, it has a lot of it

SgtKonus said on February 5, 2013 at 5:17 p.m.

Poor Soul Calibur, they haven't gotten it right since 2( and to competitive players, 2 was way too turtle-ish at a high level.)

I'm going to buy Soul Calibur 6 if they make one, but they need to let Project Soul actually make the game this time and not half release it.

Nalaztre said on February 5, 2013 at 5:26 p.m.

The cumulative until June, 2012 for SCV was > 1 MM:

So, it may very well be > 2 MM units by now.

Tensa said on February 5, 2013 at 5:30 p.m.

the doa5 an sfxt numbers are old I don't think they have been updated anyways good stuff to ttt2

anthonygamer said on February 5, 2013 at 5:37 p.m.

The title is about "Tekken Tag Tournament 2 and Soul Calibur 5" then 2 other games are thrown in for no reason.

Fanboy fight lets go!!

Gohikari said on February 5, 2013 at 5:40 p.m.

I Wonder how many copies the WiiU version sold it self.

KCereal said on February 5, 2013 at 5:45 p.m.

Good stuff from Namco Bandai. Buying TTT2 was the best choice ever made. There's so many things to unlock, it feels like I'm back to my PS2 days.

theWARUNIT said on February 5, 2013 at 5:54 p.m.

I just wanna unlock heihachi's old head, and also his tiger jacket.

BoscaBat said on February 5, 2013 at 5:58 p.m.

I hope they continue to support TT2 tho. SCV had a good run, but they seemd to have stopped. I hope they give more time for that series, I couldn't bring myself to buy SCV.

KissofPoison said on February 5, 2013 at 6:18 p.m.

they are probably comparing time frames. like sales for ttt2 at a 6 month point or whatever to the others at the same point in time. ( i'm just using 6 months as example not fact)

Malice said on February 5, 2013 at 6:30 p.m.

SCV sold 870K in that nine month fiscal period, 1.56M since release last January.

Batsu said on February 5, 2013 at 6:55 p.m.

@InitialR "...unless he did it on purpose and wants to incite them."

I've been saying this about the EH team for a long time. And as a site meant to provide useful information, it appears to be a tad bit unnecessary.

SnakeX said on February 5, 2013 at 7:52 p.m.

Rationalize all you want, Namco expected 2 million in sales. They did not reach their estimated goal. That's just how it is. And over 500,000 for a full budget title in today's market is considered a flop by any standards. Team Ninja wasn't even expecting high sales either, if I recall correctly they were aiming at 1 million for DOA.

Namco is going to continue making Tekken games for sure, one small bump isn't enough to deter them, especially considering it is one of their premiere titles...but this was probably it for Soul Calibur unfortunately. Third title in a row to fall short of expectations. Though it's partly their fault for not giving the series the same level of attention as Tekken and relying on gimmicks such as guest characters as cheap tactics for extra sales. Which, as we can see, didn't exactly work out.

InitialR said on February 5, 2013 at 9:55 p.m.

skyrimer said on February 6, 2013 at 12:24 a.m.

I'm with @8, that sale comparison is not correct.

Pingu21 said on February 6, 2013 at 1:39 a.m.

I don't know what they expected but it sounds pretty good to me, maybe a little more for TTT2 would have been better (of course better sales are better but you see my point) but the game has been on WiiU for a short time so maybe it will grow.
It would be cool to have the sales by console.

Cosmo26 said on February 6, 2013 at 2:36 a.m.

Tekken got long long long legs and TTT2 did better than T6 in comparison...at the end of its cycle it will reach at least 4M.

scytheavatar said on February 6, 2013 at 2:40 a.m.

@25 I never heard anything about how much Namco was expecting SCV to sell........... considering the absurdly short development time given to that game I find it hard to believe that Namco would be disappointed by the sales results.

yanglikeswang said on February 6, 2013 at 3:28 a.m.

foolly said on February 6, 2013 at 4:22 a.m.

@ InitialR to clarify what i was saying. I never once compared the sale's of SF X T to the games in question. I simply said people called it a flop and looking at those figures, it sold a bit too much to be called a flop. Im not sure why this turned into this game vs that game.

foolly said on February 6, 2013 at 4:26 a.m.

^^unless of course you were responding to the actual article which said "For some comparison blah blah blah"

drunkendan said on February 6, 2013 at 5:45 a.m.

translation: I want more from this series even though I don't support it and SCV barley happened :/

BumblebeeCody said on February 6, 2013 at 6 a.m.

TTT2!

Mufausa said on February 6, 2013 at 7:33 a.m.

Sales would be much more if they released any of their games on PC..

SnakeX said on February 6, 2013 at 8:01 a.m.

I double checked and you're right; final sales for SC4 was a solid 2.3 million, though it too had a slow start. Still, the SC series has been on a roller coaster ride as far as sales go over the years. I'd love to see a 6th SC game but Namco hasn't been treating the series that well (no more arcade releases, limited post-release support, rushed dev team, etc.) so I'm not optimistic.

If I recall correctly, 2 million was the target. It tends to be the standard sales target for fighting games in the current market.

BoscaBat said on February 6, 2013 at 8:10 a.m.

Really tho, I'm not gonna give my money to something half-baked. I don't do the take what you can get approach.

Doubt not supporting it will kill SC series quicker than get Namco to rethink their plans for it. SCVI will happen and hopefully with more time and love put into it.

Duggs26 said on February 6, 2013 at 8:41 a.m.

I'm glad TTT2 has that many sales now, Namco really deserved it. It's a shame they didn't reach their goal of 2 million sales, but who knows? Maybe they'll reach it one day now people have got a bit of Christmas money and are looking for new games to buy.

aprilgail214 said on February 6, 2013 at 8:52 a.m.

edrigo said on February 6, 2013 at 10:52 a.m.

I blame poor advertising with fgs's. They only advertise heavily on fg sites or gaming sites. A big example is hitman recently. it sold well cause it was advertised well. I saw it on double decker buses a month before release in london.

WilmarGracer97 said on February 6, 2013 at 12:06 p.m.

darkblade13 said on February 6, 2013 at 12:49 p.m.

Some of those numbers look kinda off. SFlip can we get some real accurate numbers here and not some made up numbers you listed? Also I don't understand why you listed other games numbers while the topic is talking about Namco Bandai. Please stay on topic.