Posted by SFilp • February 4, 2013 at 6:21 p.m. PST
Street Fighter X Tekken v2013's pre-set gem units, Dawgtanian wants them to be tournament standard During the SoCal Regionals 2013 stream, Capcom showed off Street Fighter X Tekken v2013's new gem changes that added five pre-set selections.

Now, while I knew about this I didn't know how to get the preset gems to activate on my personal account. HuyDucTran on CalculatedPlay made a post going through all of these five pre-set selections and how to activate them.

These gem sets are automatically set when creating a new save. While yes, it's easy to go delete your save file, you will lose any of your saved customization colors, any trials you've completed and your player data. So if you'd like to keep your save data and use these gem selections, you should edit them into your gem unit yourself.

As Capcom's Dawgtanian noted on Twitter that he'd like these pre-set selections to be the tournament standards for the ease of use.

Below and after the jump is the full list of all the preset gems.

Gem Set 1 (Attack)
< • Gem 001: Immense Power Lv. 1: Connect with 5 normal moves. Gain +10% damage output for 20 sec.
• Gem 019: Immense Power Lv. 1: Your partner connects with 1 Launcher. Gain +10% damage output for 20 sec.
• Gem 038: Immense Power Lv. 2: Escape 1 throw. Gain +20% damage output for 15 sec.

Gem Set 2 (Defense)
• Gem 046: Iron Wall Lv. 1: Block 5 times. Gain +10% incurred damage reduction for 20 sec.
• Gem 050: Iron Wall Lv. 1: Get hit by 2 Special Moves. Gain +10% incurred damage reduction for 20 sec.
• Gem 056: Iron Wall Lv. 1: Perform 1 Cross Cancel. Gain +10% incurred damage reduction for 20 sec.

Gem Set 3 (Cross Gauge)
• Gem 207: Onslaught Lv. 1: Connect with 3 Special Moves. Gain +20% Cross Gauge acqusition rate for 20 sec.
• Gem 205: Onslaught Lv. 1: Have your attack blocked 4 times. Gain +20% Cross Gauge acquisition rate for 20 sec.
• Gem 214: Onslaught Lv. 2: Your partner connects with 1 Launcher. Gain +40% Cross Gauge acquisition rate for 15 sec.

Gem Set 4 (Pandora)
• Gem 024: Immense Power Lv. 3: Go into Pandora state. Gain +30% damage output for 10 sec.
• Gem 245: Proficiency Lv. 2: Go into Pandora state. Gain +20% Cross Gauge usage reduction for 15 sec.
• Gem 139: Divine Speed Lv. 3: Go into Pandora state. Gain +20% movement speed for 10 sec.

Gem Set 5 (Balance)
• Gem 048: Iron Wall Lv. 2: Block 10 times. Gain +20% incurred damage reduction for 15 sec.

Comments

SnakeX said on February 4, 2013 at 6:23 p.m.

I'm sure these will be, since they eliminate the biggest problem with the gems at tournaments; the time it takes to set them up. Selecting a preset takes like half a second.

Yaiba4869 said on February 4, 2013 at 6:23 p.m.

i like it, hope this sets get to be standart on evo

Shingotink said on February 4, 2013 at 6:32 p.m.

I accidently deleted my SFxT folder a few weeks back while trying to free up HDD space. I guess I'll delete my save on purpose this time to get these defaults as I only have a few color edits saved.

rakuko said on February 4, 2013 at 6:35 p.m.

2012: "you can make your characters truly unique by customizing your gem sets! no two Ryus will be quite the same!"

2013: "yeah......just use the presets."

Abbadon36 said on February 4, 2013 at 6:35 p.m.

Yes pound the gems more. didn't everyone already state their dislike of gems? Ya, it's easier but still it's a mechanic the game could have do without. Oh well, I just hope this game will get more then two Evos.

Jaxon76 said on February 4, 2013 at 6:37 p.m.

Interesting that they didn't provide a speed gem setup. When you get 2 speed gems activated at the same time, your character jump speed is super quick, jump attacks are very difficult to antiair, emptyjump low is very strong, etc.

Crazcar said on February 4, 2013 at 6:37 p.m.

Does sort of mess up the whole 'customization' aspect that was so big before the game's release, but since it's for tournaments specifically...then I guess you gotta deal with it. Better than either setting up gems and wasting time or not having any at all.

DarknessFallz said on February 4, 2013 at 6:46 p.m.

Capcom, no one likes the gems what is so difficult to comprehend about that?

riceface said on February 4, 2013 at 6:56 p.m.

@darknessfallz

yeah nobody does at all, i hate them, but they've made them already and are refusing to acknowledge that it sucks

MascotRay said on February 4, 2013 at 6:58 p.m.

Uh.... I like them. So no everyone hates them. I'm not trying to be difficult, but the game is way more interesting with them imo.

shades_of_grey said on February 4, 2013 at 7:01 p.m.

Personally I like the gems as I think they add another layer of strategy to the game. My only gripe with them is that Capcom charges for some of them, which is utter bull that I still can't believe happened.

kojibeoulve said on February 4, 2013 at 7:05 p.m.

If you're gonna use the presets, then might as well not have gems at all if you're so interested in saving time. Dammit Capcom, if only you made the gems easier to pick and released the gems for free.

learis1 said on February 4, 2013 at 7:09 p.m.

This is retarded, they included the worst gems in their presets. Where's the life restore and damage absorption gems? Those are ten times better than %dmg or %def gems.

At least the cross gauge preset is nice. All the other presets are complete garbage. Props to Capcom for not understanding the 5th grade math necessary to properly design the gems.

AnaboliChris said on February 4, 2013 at 7:09 p.m.

@#4

ahahahahaha

RunningWild said on February 4, 2013 at 7:10 p.m.

Evilhero said on February 4, 2013 at 7:11 p.m.

There's 5 presets, just like having different grooves in CVS. You can still have the same characters be different based on the presets you make.

I like gems. A lot of thought goes into what my setups are like based on characters I use and if I decide to use pandora with a character. If you watch Jibbo's stream or do any kind of research, you'll find that some of these players put a lot of thought into their setups, especially the meter building ones.

DevilMaySpy said on February 4, 2013 at 7:23 p.m.

@ #2: It's already EVO standard:

SGstarcraft said on February 4, 2013 at 7:30 p.m.

Lol at people "Hope this gets more than two evo's" yeah a couple months ago most people said "This game shouldn't be at evo ever again" and I imagine people will continue to add a negative connetation to sfxt as long as marvel cod and Lol still dominate genre's as their most popular game, whatever isn't casual friendly should be viewed as ass, as a result, sfxt isn't an easy game to get really good at, and its done poorly, its unfortunate, because its really good, but from what I watch even pro players and most streams for this game are at a stageringly low level.

king_e_dawg said on February 4, 2013 at 7:31 p.m.

So now Capcom's completely destroyed something unique because whiny idiots couldn't be bothered to understand what it was they were whining about in the first place. Funny part is, people are going to start complaining about how high the damage is now; even more with an attack gem preset, and if they had just given the gem thing a chance from the start, they might have discovered that since they're based on HOW YOU PLAY (attack heavy, defense heavy, like to throw, etc.) and not just tons of free, random power-up effects, the game might have balanced out better. But oooooohhhhh no. "No timeoutz!!! How use gems??? GEMS STOOPID!!!"

This is why we can't have nice things, FGC. Just try to remember why they did this before you start moaning.

TrueGamingGuru said on February 4, 2013 at 7:31 p.m.

Gems is something that makes fighting games interesting, because it involves customizing your personal play style. I could compare Gems to CvS Custom Groove System. Because Custom Groove System lets you customize your gauge, & your actions. People really need to stop make a big deal about Gems, it almost makes the certain people look like cowards. A true fighter is something that is willing to fight through anything including Gems.

JesseRobles said on February 4, 2013 at 7:35 p.m.

I like the gems! They make the fights more fun and interesting. I support this.

Vanitas_Fatalis said on February 4, 2013 at 7:38 p.m.

I'm all for this

Kalyx_triaD said on February 4, 2013 at 7:41 p.m.

I'm Kalyx triaD and I endorse Gems.

Selling them is horrible, though.

suicidali said on February 4, 2013 at 7:49 p.m.

The gems were a nice idea that was poorly executed.
If there was a numbered keypad to enter your custom gem setup, and if there weren't any DLC gems, it would've made things 10 times better.
Oh, and the assist gems being godawful on release didn't help matters either.
The presets are ok I suppose, but I imagine about 5 people will use the Pandora or Balance presets. Any why no Speed preset? 2-3 Speed gems activated on an already fast character is bloody terrifying.

V3N0MB1T3 said on February 4, 2013 at 7:49 p.m.

I've heard the pre-set gems compared to grooves from Capcom vs SNK. No one had a problem with grooves back then, so I dont see a problem in people wanting to use these now.

Cinderkin said on February 4, 2013 at 8:13 p.m.

I love the presets for when I play random online and local. I removed the Pandora preset for my mains though and set up gems for those characters. It's really nice to be able to play a random character and have gems ready to go.

I really enjoy this game and if you go through my post history I enjoyed it back when it launched as well. 2013 only made it better.

Izick said on February 4, 2013 at 8:20 p.m.

Gem 245: Proficiency Lv. 2 Thought this gem will make it possible to do 4 Ex moves in a combo but it doesn't. This gem should be taken out for another power gem for Pandora.

powderedtoastman said on February 4, 2013 at 8:38 p.m.

@#25
the comparison is non-existing. All the gems really do is modify things that are already in play. Such as adding bonuses to defenses, offenses,etc.

Where as grooves take and give different features and attributes: such as being able to parry, roll,airblock, run, and various other things

The 2 systems accomplish very different things.
So people not having problems back then isnt like what they are doing today.
Sheesh even the -ISMs in alpha 3 gave and took away options between the choices. Such as certain Xism characters had modified moves and such.

zUkUu said on February 4, 2013 at 8:39 p.m.

Only the Meter and Balanced setup are worth anything.
The other are just plain inferior. It seems capcom has realized that Speed gems are pretty useless, so they didn't made a preset for them.

Smorgasboard said on February 4, 2013 at 8:41 p.m.

I like gems. I think they should allow custom gem layout for top 8.

Xykes said on February 4, 2013 at 9:04 p.m.

@ zUkUu
"It seems capcom has realized that Speed gems are pretty useless, so they didn't made a preset for them."

Umm, useless? No.

I've gotten so many empty jump > lows thanks to well planned speed gems.

If you don't know how to set them up right, then, yeah, they're useless.

zUkUu said on February 4, 2013 at 9:09 p.m.

@31 so you rely on your opponents fault for them to have any use? It's a mere gimmick, nothing more.

The only good gems are those that you can make actual use off. Meter gems, absorb gems, health gems, attack on hit gems etc.

n00b_saib0t said on February 4, 2013 at 9:18 p.m.

So in their infinite genius Capcom couldn't put a "return to default" setting for the gem sets?

Shiranui said on February 4, 2013 at 9:21 p.m.

@32 zUkUu

The entire concept of competitive fighting games exists because of opponents having faults. A gimmick is something that you can avoid once you've seen it before. Empty jump/air attack/crossup is a very legitimate and fundamental part of fighting games.

Cinderkin said on February 4, 2013 at 9:43 p.m.

This is what they should have done.

zUkUu said on February 4, 2013 at 9:45 p.m.

I mean to make actual use of gems.

Good gem: On Partner Launcher: +20% damage
Bad gem: block 10 times: +20% damage

in the first case you can make sure to get something off the gem's effect, since it activates mid-combo, where as the second gem can be pretty much in vain for the most part. That's why so many gems are (on average) pretty useless and inferior. Speed gems are among them. Unless you have a specific gem setup that activates them so you can abuse a certain setup or something, they are not nearly as good as the other gems i mentioned.

Totally agree.

chipndip said on February 4, 2013 at 10:04 p.m.

The gems aren't like the Marvel Super Heroes gems that are just plain out of control. It's a good concept, except that they charged for some. If they didn't, we could have had a whole level of meta-game added to the game in a legit way. Still, these presets are nice, and I don't see why people wouldn't use them. Playing without gems is NOT the way to play this game. It really isn't...

SimSimIV said on February 4, 2013 at 10:05 p.m.

Gems grant different buffs and they have different activation requirements. Different characters benefit from different buffs and a very important aspect of gems, is how you chose gems that have activation requirements that fit your character. Some characters rely heavily on special moves in their bnb's and gameplay (Jack for example). Naturally these characters will land more special moves than, let's say Dhalsim, who rely a lot on zoning with normals. It is not fair to only allow the pre set gems, because by doing this, you are only allowing certain activation requirements, which will benefit some characters more than others.

That being said, I would rather have these pre sets than no gems at all, as you will have a better chance of covering your character's weaknesses by using a pre set gem set up of the category you need, even if some characters will do this more effectively than other's and therefor creating an additional balance issue.

Jedda678 said on February 4, 2013 at 10:13 p.m.

I don't see why they need to do presets, granted some gem setups can be a bit devastating or totally useless but that's the fun in gems. Now Ryu mirrors will be a 1/5 chance of being true mirror matches.

Worstfatman said on February 4, 2013 at 10:21 p.m.

why won't this game filter out? Top Story my ass. I don't want this on my feed.

RunningWild said on February 4, 2013 at 10:30 p.m.

Zidiane said on February 4, 2013 at 10:40 p.m.

Doesn't this defeat the purpose of Gems?

TrueGamingGuru said on February 4, 2013 at 10:59 p.m.

@41 Yes I played CvS2, I got the Gamecube version. The customization groove I was talking about was the EX-Groove, I know the normal groove is its own system.

With gems make you play different, its half yes and half no.
Pro: It depends on what Gem you pick that might require to do number of attack, specials, getting hit, use Pandora etc. once it takes effect, your attack/speed/defense/gauge will increase or reduce depending on what Gem. There is even certain Assist Gem that can increase the Time effect of the Gem or increase the Power effect of the Gem.
Con: Just because someone uses Gems, doesn't mean that person has automatic chance of winning and if someone knows their own skill you can even overcome the player that uses Gems.

Tewi said on February 4, 2013 at 10:59 p.m.

Please no gems. What's wrong with no gems?

Doopliss said on February 4, 2013 at 11:05 p.m.

I thought they nerfed gem 24?

rkzhao said on February 5, 2013 at 12:27 a.m.

To me, Gems are like the rage mechanic in TTT2 and other similar mechanics, except you can customize the conditions and effects. The only thing I disliked about gems in vanilla was the visual effect and the auto crap but they've addressed both.

The presets look decent enough but I wish they would allow custom gems once you make it out of pools or something. Different activation conditions benefit different characters and having that additional level of customization is kind of nice.

VladDracul said on February 5, 2013 at 1:24 a.m.

rosy said on February 5, 2013 at 2:58 a.m.

If they didn't put gems in the beginning, I believe the game looks much better. Capcom just ruin their own game with these crappy gems mechanic

yanglikeswang said on February 5, 2013 at 3:05 a.m.

AnthonySilva said on February 5, 2013 at 3:14 a.m.

DustinFong said on February 5, 2013 at 3:30 a.m.

Should have done a groove-like system instead of gems. But I doubt Capcom thought they could sell grooves indefinitely at a few bucks a pop. Ah, how naive they were...

BumblebeeCody said on February 5, 2013 at 5:40 a.m.

@RunningWild #15
Sonic Fighters v.2013 edition. Select your Chaos Emerald.

I don't see the point in gems to or these pre-sets. As if: Button checks, reading notes, coaching and pop-offs didn't slow down match progress anyway, but now selecting your gem set.
Das cool, yo.

FatMus2 said on February 5, 2013 at 5:46 a.m.

I love gems but I don't like this. What's the point of having presets if the whole point is for players to have their own loadouts. Now if tournaments allow both custom loadouts and preset gems then it's fine. But only allowing these presets would be stupid.

liddell1988 said on February 5, 2013 at 6:58 a.m.

Gosh, some of you are real downers.

mrdrofficer said on February 5, 2013 at 7:42 a.m.

Capcoms answer to people complaining is met with complaining.

Graphf said on February 5, 2013 at 8:13 a.m.

PaulR said on February 5, 2013 at 8:20 a.m.

I wonder if all those people who are hating on gems could list 5 legitimate reasons why gems suck?

Tensa said on February 5, 2013 at 8:23 a.m.

pre set gems is fine man I think a custom Pandora loadout would be cool too

Monette said on February 5, 2013 at 8:43 a.m.

Is pandora a little better after the patch?? Because if it is it'll be, imo, really good with these gems... I think that's good though(= you need that dynamic for people to keep playing. I love this game but I always find myself getting murdered because I can only use asuka and im having a character crisis lol

Smorgasboard said on February 5, 2013 at 9:04 a.m.

It's at Evo because it will probably have the third highest attendance among all the games.

While ST is a great game, it will have very low attendance compared to any newer game.

LordProsper said on February 5, 2013 at 9:21 a.m.

I would have loved the gem mechanic if it weren't for the whole 'Hey let's make people pay money' thing. I couldn't even set up the gems I wanted on my characters because almost every time I tried to pick a gem that was actually good, it said 'LOL NOPE YOU NEED TO BUY THIS.'

I really wanna know what moron at Capcom said 'Oh no, I don't think anyone will be pissed if we try this, people will love it!'

roknin said on February 5, 2013 at 9:59 a.m.

The gem system is fine; it's the delivery method that was horrid.

On one hand, I'm a little put-off by this as the customization was the fun of the system. Limiting things to just the presets largely takes that away.

On the other hand, trying to ensure every console has DLC gems available is a very cumbersome setup for TOs, I'm sure. That and the fact that Capcom still needs to make the gem selection process a bit more user-friendly (it's functional right now, but it could definitely still use some tweaking)... This is compounded by the fact that there are gems you have to pay for - the gems would have done much better as something you earn in-game, perhaps for doing certain trials or achievements.

A good middle ground would be to have these available and allow gem selection as usual, but for now if these are the standard until something better is in place that satisfies al aspects, I'm personally okay with that. Certainly better than the "no gems gentlemen's agreement" that's been going around.

At this point I'm more interested in the game being played period, than how gems are implemented.

HDTran said on February 5, 2013 at 10:10 a.m.

Yeah, I got mentioned! If you guys want to see my throwback images for the Gem Sets in CvS2 and A3 vein, check out: http://www.calculatedplay.com/post/41...

Teags said on February 5, 2013 at 10:28 a.m.

So if we don't start a new save, the only way to apply these new sets to the whole cast is to set them manually for every character?! Or is there a way to set default sets?

@63 - Love the A3 style.

thf24 said on February 5, 2013 at 12:32 p.m.

People were complaining about gems not being standard enough before, now they're complaining about them being too standard. I guess we just have to accept that there's a portion of the FGC that isn't satisfied if it doesn't have something to complain about.

JasmineCrams08 said on February 5, 2013 at 12:38 p.m.

shekeib said on February 5, 2013 at 1:44 p.m.

Wizard made only these 5 presets available at evo. At evo we wont find out who is the best, just which characters use the gem presets the best.

wizard always posts dumb stuff. Remember how he hated on persona 4 when you could tell he was ass at it, not knowing basic game mechanics?

The_Big_Boss said on February 5, 2013 at 11:42 p.m.

SMH. Capcom is freaking LAZY. Just make it to where you can pick gems faster. A fan gave you a GENIUS idea about using a dial up system. Whatever happened to that?

Sasuga said on February 6, 2013 at 8:38 a.m.

Iron Wall for defense?

I would rather have a bunch of character based default gem-layouts. For grapplers, Iron wall is a much more viable choice than for low health characters, for instance.

Rhyllis said on February 7, 2013 at 6:49 p.m.

I am rather certain that the 30% damage boost Pandora gem is in fact only 10%, probably nerfed because of how much stronger Pandora is in general.

Unless I'm somehow missing it on the list. There is a Gem for when the OPPONENT uses Pandora that gives you 30% more damage, perhaps there was some confusion somewhere when listing them.

Enryl said on February 8, 2013 at 2:13 a.m.

that makes no sense, the fun of gems is to customize your characters, also there i see the chance that some char may benefit more than others