Posted by Steven 'Dreamking23' Chavez • February 3, 2013 at 12:10 p.m. PST
Xian: Gen slightly above mid tier in the rankings, nobody really knows the matchup - talks best SSF4 AE v2012 players, Canada Cup 2012 and more We here at EventHubs recently conducted an interview with Canada Cup 2012 winner in Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition v2012, DM|Xian. In this piece, we asked Xian about various topics including where he feels Gen falls on the tier list, who he thinks are the best SSF4 AE v2012 players on the tournament scene today, the next major event we can expect to see him compete in and more.

Here's a bit from the interview to get you started, and you can check out the full list of questions after the jump.

EH: You won Canada Cup 2012 with a character that is rarely seen used in tournaments, Gen. Where do you think this character falls in the tier rankings, and how do you feel he stacks up against the higher tier characters in Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition v2012?

Xian: I feel Gen falls slightly above mid tier in the tier rankings. He has poor matchups against most of the high tiers including Fei Long, Akuma, Yun, and Adon. However, due to the lack of matchup knowledge, nobody really knows how to fight Gen.

EH: WW|Infiltration is one of the strongest players around right now, as he has won 1st place in a slew of events lately. Do you think your Gen would be able to beat him in a tournament match?

Xian: I have lost to him in both Taiwan SF 25th Anniversary and Canada cup 5v5. He managed to download my bad habits and tendencies as a player. From my experience against him I feel he doesn’t know the Gen matchup too well. If I want to beat him I must completely change my playing style, but at this current point in time, I probably cannot beat him in a tournament match.

EH: Other than the Evo 2012 champion, who do you feel are the top 5 best Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition v2012 players currently on the tournament scene?

Xian: MCZ|Daigo, RZR|Fuudo. The other 2 I can’t decide. It can be anyone among EG|Ricky Ortiz, Xiaohai, Sako, Kazunoko, EG|Momochi, AVM|Gamerbee, MCZ|Tokido, EG|Justin Wong and MCZ|Mago.

EH: At Canada Cup 2012 you defeated RZR|Fuudo and MCZ|Mago who are both known for being spectacular Fei Long players. What was it like having to battle two of the strongest Fei players in one event and what kind of adjustments did you have to make after beating Fuudo, in order to defeat Mago?

Xian: I looked forward to fighting Fuudo, he beat me soundly in a set last year in AE after I transitioned to Gen. I trained pretty hard for the Fei Long matchup with team mate DM|GACKT so I was glad that I could use this experience against them. I didn’t make many adjustments until the final set because both weren’t very familiar with the Gen matchup in the first place. The key to winning the last set was Zhi’s sage advice regarding Mago’s meter usage and new playstyle. After he whispered these sweet nothings into my ear, my defense was hardly broken throughout the entire last set.

EH: What is the next major tournament you plan on attending?

Xian: Red Fight District at Netherlands and Final Round in Atlanta.

EH: If you’d like to make any shout outs, please feel free to do so.

Xian: I want to thank Richard from the Red Fight District at Netherlands for inviting me to their awesome tournament. I am dying to travel this year and this is the best place to start off the new battle season. If other tournament organizers are interested in having me, please feel to contact me.

I am streaming everyday on twitch.tv/toughcookietv. I play SF4, UMVC3 and KOF13 in preparation for this year’s Road to EVO tournament season. When SFxT 2013 releases, I will also be playing that. My stream is perfect for audiences that stay up late in the US, or live in Asia or Europe.

We have many events broadcasted on the channel including the A-League. The winner will be sent to Atlanta’s Final Round. I've never been there but it seems like the EVO of the East Coast with awesome fried chicken, so I will try my best to win because I love fried chicken more than the next man. It is a staple of my diet along with lamb curry.

I talk with the stream chat and give advice during mid-match. Unlike most trollish chats, the viewers are usually smaller and more intimate so I can interact with everyone and have meaningful discussion about life and video games. You can learn a lot from my stream and I show most of my setups and tricks. Revealing the gambit of my setups is a cathartic process that forces me to develop new techniques and start from ground zero. Resting on one’s laurels and old setups is the easiest way to getting massacred at the next tournament. It is only fitting that the world’s most prestigious FG tournament is named “Evolution.”

You can find our tournament replays on the Tough Cookie Youtube channel. Also, we have a subscription model for $4.99, which is the price of a Happy Meal. I guarantee that you will be happier watching my stream than eating a tasteless ecoli infested hamburger. Even if you don't subscribe for the cool icons, please follow our channel so you know exactly when I stream. Your encouragement really matters.

Lastly, thanks to my sponsor Team Desperation Move in partnership with Mad Catz. Without DM, I would not have the opportunity to travel abroad and eat different variations of fried chicken. Mike Ross once took me to Roscoe’s and I was hooked from the start. I miss my teammate @Zhieeep and hope he returns to the FGC after he successfully finds a waifu in the anime world.

Huge thanks to Xian for talking with us. Video source: Canada Cup Gaming.

Comments

genocide_cutter said on February 3, 2013 at 12:18 p.m.

Great interview

Assassin4than said on February 3, 2013 at 12:20 p.m.

Hope to see Xian and Amiyu tearing up some face with their Gens until people agree he is at least high mid like Xian says~

AnaboliChris said on February 3, 2013 at 12:22 p.m.

"Matchup experience" Right BumblebeeCody?

BumblebeeCody, you learned a new term today.

RiyuRimururu said on February 3, 2013 at 12:25 p.m.

My top 5 best SSF4 Players in tourney events:

Infiltration
Daigo
Fuudo
Kazunoko
Sako

lol, I like how Xian keep saying "Nobody knows the match-up."

SteadiestShark said on February 3, 2013 at 12:36 p.m.

@ #3

Hah, what's that all about? He's a friend of mine.

zUkUu said on February 3, 2013 at 1 p.m.

I don't get how his defense is affected by by Mago's meter management? Oo

Also not liking that he bashes McDonalds :<

Existent said on February 3, 2013 at 1:13 p.m.

I'm liking it very much. Garbage in every sense of the word.
He worded some things a little strangely. "After he whispered these sweet nothings into my ear".
..........

LordJim said on February 3, 2013 at 1:14 p.m.

McDonalds exists for the Nuggets.
Burgers are ass

Existent said on February 3, 2013 at 1:23 p.m.
rakuko said on February 3, 2013 at 1:30 p.m.

haha, Xian loves fried chicken. <3

@6: i would guess it would be something like "bait him into using his meter for EX chicken wing, so that if/when he gets momentum, he can't use EX command grab as much"

BunnyBoy said on February 3, 2013 at 2:37 p.m.

Xian is so cute! ^__^

Chrisuchiwa said on February 3, 2013 at 2:43 p.m.

Great interview! Something interesting EH should do more.

wonzan said on February 3, 2013 at 2:55 p.m.

xian is probably the best looking dude in the FGC

Schwoi said on February 3, 2013 at 3:22 p.m.

"I can suck the sneeze out of your nose if you like"........ O_o

MetroCityPub said on February 3, 2013 at 3:25 p.m.

Xian interview is funny. Cool guy.

dennishubs said on February 3, 2013 at 4:26 p.m.

watch his streams and subscribe, he gives good advice sometimes though his stream is only interesting when he plays AE

SgtKonus said on February 3, 2013 at 6:10 p.m.

In4JapaneseRiders who will question a really strong player's assessment of the top 5 by saying Ricky and Justin shouldn't be in the drawing.

MCHAWKING said on February 3, 2013 at 6:59 p.m.

I definitely agree with Xian's top "5" players list, in particular the part about Daigo being 2 and Fuudo being 3 and then a bunch of others being very close slightly below that. A lot of people sleep on Fuudo because he doesn't ever come to American tourneys but he is definitely the 3rd best SF player right now, getting 3rd at SF25, 3rd at Canada Cup, most recent Topanga league winner (went 50-20 against the other players in top 6 lol) and 9th at last years Evo. I would also add PR Rog (Fei?) to the list of top 5 contenders as well and maybe Dieminion.

Good interview overall.

KB said on February 3, 2013 at 7:26 p.m.

Is that really an argument? Well, Ricky Ortiz MAY be questionable (but tbh I don't really pay attention to him, so that might be why), but JWong obviously not. He's definitely been pulling his weight on these tournaments and I don't think anybody here can argue with that.

And Xian's really modest, jesus christ lol.

gentlestrength said on February 3, 2013 at 7:38 p.m.

Man, Infiltration is just an outlier. He's amazing considering how in-form Daigo was in the SF 25th Anniv. tournament (and the regional preliminaries).

I respect Xian, he's a great player and I'm glad he's competing in international majors for some SEA respect. I'll always be a Daigo fan for life though.

YanDaMan said on February 4, 2013 at 2:54 a.m.

Lol @ Zhi finding a waifu in the anime world part.

Speakertag said on February 4, 2013 at 8:28 a.m.

Half of it looks like it was written by Zhi. You can kind of sense the creepiness in there. Good sh*t from Xian as always.

CheenaLincoln0022 said on February 4, 2013 at 10:04 a.m.

Raven said on February 4, 2013 at 2:34 p.m.

I'm happy he's repping Gen. He's showing that it's far more the player, than just the character. Gen's rarity is one of his greatest strengths.

anthonygamer said on February 4, 2013 at 3:53 p.m.

#17, "In4JapaneseRiders" So you're in for Japanese riders? You forgot the "B", genius.