Rumor: King of Fighters 13 and older games in series coming to Steam

Posted by Jonathan 'Catalyst' Grey • February 3, 2013 at 8:36 p.m. PST
Rumor: King of Fighters 13 and older games in series coming to Steam There's a tool people can use to check which games are registered on Steam, and in the past it has been used to see in advance which games are coming to the service.

A few new entries that should catch the eyes of SNK Playmore fighting game fans have recently popped up on the tool. The latest entry in the King of Fighters series (13), along with a few of their older games which are community favorites are said to be available in the future.

Sites such as Cinemablend and GameChup investigated things a bit further, and saw that some past history is on the side of this list being accurate, with other titles showing up in the tool first before they were released on Steam.

Here's a quick rundown of fighting games that popped up this time around.

• King of Fighters 13
• King of Fighters 2002 Unlimited Match
• King of Fighters ’98 Ultimate Match

This is somewhat surprising news, as it's fairly rare for major fighting games to see PC ports, so much so that Namco Bandai's Katsuhiro Harada remarked that fighting games are not good for the PC, and PC gamers aren't interested in this particular genre.

If this rumor holds up, it could be some positive news for PC gamers around the globe.

Tip sent in by an anonymous reader and Hash.

Comments

chowdizzle said on February 3, 2013 at 8:39 p.m.

KoF XIII with playable netcode?!?!

I was just complaining about fighters not being on PC last night. This is great news... assuming this actually happens.

DaBakerMann said on February 3, 2013 at 8:39 p.m.

I would gladly purchase kof XIII again if the netcode was awesome on the pc.

Keiwai said on February 3, 2013 at 8:41 p.m.

2002 UM PLEASE!

StriderGlemX5 said on February 3, 2013 at 8:42 p.m.

we can get KoF 13 for free on PC lmao

ineedbackup said on February 3, 2013 at 8:44 p.m.

pc master race

gluemchen said on February 3, 2013 at 8:49 p.m.

Does this mean this is on steam greenlight for upvote?

Mr_Rik0 said on February 3, 2013 at 8:50 p.m.

gimme the dlc chars included and I'm down for it, netcode can be a plus

Fome said on February 3, 2013 at 8:52 p.m.

THANK YOU SNK I LOVE FIGHTING GAMES ON PC!

DustinFong said on February 3, 2013 at 8:54 p.m.

HALLELUJAH

GLORIA IN EXCLESIS DEO

WE IN THERE

RedRapperSux said on February 3, 2013 at 8:59 p.m.

Good stuff.

KCereal said on February 3, 2013 at 9:05 p.m.

I wonder how KOF13 would even work for online. Especially modding.

hey said on February 3, 2013 at 9:05 p.m.

Let it be known that BEING IN THE STEAM DATABASE DOES NOT NECESSARILY MEAN A RELEASE. But it is an interesting sign at least, and I'd personally buy KoF if it goes up there.

dejavu22 said on February 3, 2013 at 9:07 p.m.

wait so Steam has online play?

if so i'm so excited for KOF 98 ULTIMATE MATCH!!!!

oh and KOF 13 also...

but 98UM is the best KOF imo (followed by KOF 11(XI)

xxMarshy said on February 3, 2013 at 9:08 p.m.

Too bad it is just KOF, i'll have to pass on that. Hoping Soul Calibur 5 (or a future Soul Calibur game) gets released on the PC.

Eternal said on February 3, 2013 at 9:09 p.m.

Buying KOF13 day 1 if it comes to PC. Been asking for it for ages.

dopvlur said on February 3, 2013 at 9:11 p.m.

Dream Match never ends...

KOF98/KOF98UM best KOFs for sure, let´s see if is the Final Edition.

jtir123 said on February 3, 2013 at 9:13 p.m.

Yes. Yes.

DustinFong said on February 3, 2013 at 9:20 p.m.

Just wanted to follow up and say that in a lot of places where KoF is popular, PC (as opposed to console) gaming is dominant, so a PC release would make sense.

illness690 said on February 3, 2013 at 9:23 p.m.

poignant_potency said on February 3, 2013 at 9:27 p.m.

And there was great rejoicing!... beneath the cries and shouts a faint sound was heard, not much but a whisper "Rock Howard DLC".

Oniros said on February 3, 2013 at 9:29 p.m.

If KOF XIII has playable netcode, I might give it a 2nd chance.

Vawned said on February 3, 2013 at 9:29 p.m.

Hell yes.

@13 I really hope that's kind of a lame joke.

Porkstew said on February 3, 2013 at 9:43 p.m.

Going to pay full price for KOF13, unless it's a sucky port. Then I'll wait for a sale. Don't screw this up, Atlus.

HooliganComboFTW said on February 3, 2013 at 9:45 p.m.

KoF XIII with playable netcode on PC would be glorious. The game would be much bigger if this happened initially on the consoles

Shinkutatsumaki said on February 3, 2013 at 9:52 p.m.

I would definitely buy it.

brasssmunkye said on February 3, 2013 at 9:57 p.m.

looks like im picking up KoF finally :)

matthew6666666 said on February 3, 2013 at 10 p.m.

Cross platform kof 13 please!

thf24 said on February 3, 2013 at 10:26 p.m.

I've been reluctant to pick it up at full price on console because I'm not sure I'd enjoy the game due to the high execution barrier, but I'd grab it in a heartbeat if it was part of a Steam sale.

Jookey said on February 3, 2013 at 10:33 p.m.

Yes please!

Ittouryoudan said on February 3, 2013 at 10:44 p.m.

Fix the netcode. I had this for the 360 and cried when I played my first and only online match.

A fun game no doubt. If this has amazing netcode.. I can see this getting some past players back.

Mr_Pyro said on February 3, 2013 at 11 p.m.

Huh. This year might be looking up for PC fighters. Here's to you eating your words, Harada.

Phynx said on February 3, 2013 at 11:16 p.m.

Did KoF13 have good netcode?

kakashiisagod said on February 3, 2013 at 11:19 p.m.

Nice, now if only we can get a DOA 5 PC port...

illness690 said on February 3, 2013 at 11:22 p.m.

hazelnut1112 said on February 3, 2013 at 11:40 p.m.

With this and hopefully Skullgirls. I just hope we get to see a rise in fighters being made for PC as well. I am really looking forward to this news.

DustinFong said on February 3, 2013 at 11:50 p.m.

I thought Harada was a pretty cosmopolitan guy, but the idea that PC gamers aren't interested in fighting games is a very Japan-centric attitude. Non-Japanese play PC genres other than hentai, Harada!

Timcrock said on February 4, 2013 at 12:23 a.m.

YES,YES,YES!!!
More fightings for pc!!!

werewolfgold said on February 4, 2013 at 12:52 a.m.

WAT? Y U NO RELEASE 2002UM FOR PSN?!

Aqua said on February 4, 2013 at 1:11 a.m.

there's also a Steam Community page for KOF13:

http://steamcommunity.com/games/222940 (note: these can't be created by regular Steam users)

gonna buy these day1! :D

Murdurus said on February 4, 2013 at 2:37 a.m.

I'm not a huge KOF fan mostly because I'm unable to play it. So if this comes to PC, I can definitely see myself buying it and getting into it.

enagamer said on February 4, 2013 at 2:41 a.m.

Halo is also in the database so I wouldn't get too excited yet.

Schwoi said on February 4, 2013 at 3:25 a.m.

if this was real and the netcode was good, count me in!

gtfopanda said on February 4, 2013 at 3:43 a.m.

This would be great, but the fact there's Halo 3 in the database too doesn't make things any easier.

Here's hoping they fix the bad netcode the console version has.

Kurow said on February 4, 2013 at 3:47 a.m.

WOW! Just take my money for KOF 98 UM and KOF 2002 UM! YES! I have been waiting for years to have both games on PSN and Neo Geo Station have been a completely joke!.

ChipsLight said on February 4, 2013 at 3:51 a.m.

I came.

BrothersBogard said on February 4, 2013 at 4:03 a.m.

is all I want to KOF13 netcode good, hope it's true.

now think KOF98UM 2002UM and 13 with good netcode ... please be true

only thing missing in KOF is online.

Bustahwurf said on February 4, 2013 at 4:03 a.m.

King of Fighters 98 Ultimate Match Final Edition
I need nothing else in my life
I don't know whose balls I gotta shine for this to happen but if I have to I will

BumblebeeCody said on February 4, 2013 at 4:04 a.m.

HD cancel combo into PC market!?
Awwwwww yeah.

TLADGhost said on February 4, 2013 at 4:39 a.m.

Wow. It's really. Im never triying KOF before, and PC re-release of these games are good chance to try it!

Chryo said on February 4, 2013 at 4:40 a.m.

I should clarify beforehand that this post is based on anecdotal evidence, basically following Steam for a couple of years now.

When things get added to the CDR (Steam's content description record, the list this article mentions) it usually means that the ball has started rolling to get the game on the service and Valve is in talks with the game's publisher. It doesn't guarantee that the game will be on Steam, FFVII's PC re-release was added to the CDR but Squeenix eventually opted to release the game only on their website, for example.

Now, this takes me to...
When Steam adds stuff to the record this early it means they're talking to an established publisher, so Greenlight is completely skipped, the game just makes it into the storefront if a deal is worked out.

RunningWild said on February 4, 2013 at 6:17 a.m.

Torrie_De_Goddess said on February 4, 2013 at 8 a.m.

I wish they'd make KOFXI available as well; it's one of the most well-put together fighters ever but came out when the genre was facing hard times. Everyone should get a taste of what could've been.

shinpichu said on February 4, 2013 at 8:28 a.m.

YES! OH GOD YES!

PLEASE SNK MAKE THIS HAPPEN!

RoanHen said on February 4, 2013 at 8:50 a.m.

Awesome, I really hope this can become true. SNK Playmore really needs to make the KOF fan base bigger, and bringing this games to PC would be nice.

I'd like to see KOF XI too (Marvel players would love this one, REALLY). And about the games here, i hope the KOF 98 UM to be the Final Edition revision; The KOF 2002 UM to be the Tougeki edition; And the KOF XIII to be the KOF XIII Climax edition.

Tensa said on February 4, 2013 at 8:54 a.m.

If Kof13's netcode is playable I will give it a shot oh an I love kof2k2um my fav kof game an kof11 would be nice too

AngryAssassin said on February 4, 2013 at 9:03 a.m.

Before they release either UM game on Steam can we get them on PSN?

Yaarmehearty said on February 4, 2013 at 9:40 a.m.

I own KOF on the 360 and love it but the multilayer is ass and only a couple of people play it in my offline scene, I would totally but it again on PC if the online multilayer works!

TorTorVega said on February 4, 2013 at 11:04 a.m.

Man there are some haters up in here huh? That's kind of sad. More fighting games finding their way to the PC just means more people interested in fighting games.

Schwoi said on February 4, 2013 at 11:09 a.m.

uh, the hate is where exactly?

Professor_Icepick said on February 4, 2013 at 11:18 a.m.

Oh man, I'd totally triple-dip on KoF XIII. Also, I've been hesitating to get KoF 2002 UM, especially now since my XBL just ran out, so I'd try to pick that up and '98 UM again. Here's hoping this isn't just baseless rumors.

Say, didn't SNK Playmore have some kind of vendetta against PC versions of their games due to piracy killing off the original SNK? Or am I just misinformed?

shinpichu said on February 4, 2013 at 11:18 a.m.

I would buy KoF13 on PC even if it had subpar netcode(though I'd appreciate good netcode, since I don't have many people to play with locally). I just want more good PC figthers(hopefully without sh*tty DRM like GfWL).

EA575 said on February 4, 2013 at 11:57 a.m.

There's an excitement in my pants right now...

Bustahwurf said on February 4, 2013 at 11:59 a.m.

Bad business decisions killed the original SNK

JIHADJOE said on February 4, 2013 at 12:01 p.m.

PC port would be trivial to make, considering the Taito Type-X2 arcade machine is basically a PC running Windows XP Embedded. All they really need to do is make some basic ui adjustments to do away with inserting coins.

It gets them sales in a new market then for very little additional development work. No brainer decision for SNK really, I'm actually surprised they didn't do this sooner.

pegasusx said on February 4, 2013 at 3:07 p.m.

This is great. Finding a decent match on Ps3 is tough due to not so good netcode. Hopefully SNKP and Steam can get the ball rolling and help the KOF community grow.

Annon said on February 4, 2013 at 3:43 p.m.

Day 1 buy for me. The only fighting game port I don't own on PC is SFxT, because screw gems and disk-locked-content.

SOyun said on February 4, 2013 at 4:28 p.m.

Considering how netcode is I will probably pass on this title until a sale comes up. Not to be pessimistic but EVERYTIME I have to set my room for online play only people from CHINA or RUSIA or EGYPT arrives.

BTW: I'm from america, you know, the CONTINENT?.

ItalianBoy said on February 4, 2013 at 6 p.m.

good to know just buy last week SSF4 AE on PC and the netcode is lag free VS PSN "ALWAYS" Yellow netcode.

pegasusx said on February 4, 2013 at 9:18 p.m.

@SOyun surprisingly I've been playing some decent matches lately, (I live in the west coast by the way) I even play a person from Mex from time to time, I just set it to 3 green bars and hope for the best.

genocide_cutter said on February 5, 2013 at 9:57 a.m.

Please let this be true

Raakill said on February 5, 2013 at 2:53 p.m.

I hope this is true. Getting bored with only AE on pc.

Burnt said on February 5, 2013 at 9:47 p.m.

That would be be great,i hope my computer can handle that. also hope Capcom follows suit and adds more sh!t like 3SOE and VS Resurrection