Posted by Steven 'Dreamking23' Chavez • February 3, 2013 at 4:56 p.m. PST
EventHubs asks: Longer pauses in between rounds or quicker transitions to retain momentum? Which do you prefer? In fighting games, a typical match usually consists of a 2 out of 3 set of rounds. When one player loses their entire life bar for that round, a new round begins.

Each game has their own way of beginning the new round; the most common being Street Fighter beginning with full life bars and a reset position. Games such as Mortal Kombat 9 reset the life bars but wherever the players are on the stage when the round ends, that is where they will begin the next.

The upcoming DC Brawler, Injustice: Gods Among Us, will not be using the traditional rounds system. Instead, players will be given 2 life bars and once one of those bars depletes, the character will fall and quickly rise again to continue the match. This is akin to the Killer Instinct series and this allows for a faster paced match and quicker action.

On the other end of the spectrum, we have games such as King of Fighters 13 that retain quite a large pause in between rounds or character K.O.s, if you will. Using these breaks in the action can allow players to take a breather and devise a strategy for the upcoming battle. We see a similar technique used commonly in tournaments where a player will go back to the character select screen and stay a while, without any intention of switching characters.

One way of handling the transition between rounds allows a player to keep their momentum up and the other gives them time to think and relax a bit to regain composure. Which do you prefer when playing fighting games and which do you think is more beneficial?

Leave your opinions below.

Comments

General_Scales said on February 3, 2013 at 5:04 p.m.

The faster the better, there's no need to over think things if you lose.

HooliganComboFTW said on February 3, 2013 at 5:05 p.m.

No need the luxury of waiting between rounds; Give it your all at the start to the end

BUYACUSHUN said on February 3, 2013 at 5:07 p.m.

i like the KI, MK way of doing things. Feels more like an actual fight. But the SF way of doing things is cool too.

One way allows for a whole new look on positioning and one way sets everyone back is much more calmer.

I for one don't think the MK way of doing rounds would work with SF. If i made a fighter i would like to do it the KI or MK way.

rockman said on February 3, 2013 at 5:07 p.m.

I prefer the ST/KoF style round transition myself as it puts both player back at neutral advantage.

i208khonsu said on February 3, 2013 at 5:10 p.m.

I've thought for a while that in between rounds there should be a short cut-scene similar to Oni's win animation where the winner tosses the looser back toward the middle of the arena. Could be just their throw animation. Maybe even some words are exchanged. The idea would be to mimic those types of scenes that break up fight scenes in Anime and Comic Book movies.

Furthermore the dialog of the cut-scene could be select-able similar to how win-quotes were select-able in early street fighter games. More over special dialog could be enabled visa-vie not blocking (babalaties) to increase the hype and put meaning into what's taunted. Different dialog could be unlocked by not using meter, not using special moves, finishing the round with a super, etc...

Also with Injustice and SFxT with stages being multi-tiered the cut-scene could be the winner knocking their opponent into the other arena instead of just throwing them toward the center.

Chrisuchiwa said on February 3, 2013 at 5:11 p.m.

I prefer short pauses like SF or KOF (even if it is a bit too much in this one). they are helpful for both players. Even if I loved Killer Instinct style though.

What about Blazblue, only based on japanese tourney style where you are forced to go on character select screen after a match. Sometimes I scream, why?

Doomed2laugh said on February 3, 2013 at 5:12 p.m.

quicker transitions

RunningWild said on February 3, 2013 at 5:12 p.m.

StriderSpinel said on February 3, 2013 at 5:17 p.m.

i like quick transitions without music or image fades with start positions and life reset...

zombiebrian said on February 3, 2013 at 5:21 p.m.

Depends on the game tbh most time im just ready for round 2 and want the transition over with sometime i wanna think about it, that said some games like kof take allot longer to complete at tourneys so shorter transitions would be nicer.

I feel this in many ways is an irrelevant question each game will be different each gamer will deal with it in their own way and just get used to it as a part of learning the games basics.

godfist314 said on February 3, 2013 at 5:22 p.m.

Dead or Alive 4 and 5 have very small pauses between rounds. It's literally KO,Round 2 FIGHT in like 1.5 seconds.

Also I love the faster pace in Vampire Savior. Technically there is a pause between rounds, but it's Super fast and they just keep right on playing.

That being said I can see how the Street Fighter / Mortal Kombat pauses between rounds can help players have a 'rythm' of sorts to go by.

spambot said on February 3, 2013 at 5:27 p.m.

i like the quick pause and position rest.
I don't like having a disadvantageous position for losing.

rekonyz said on February 3, 2013 at 5:32 p.m.

A moment for composure is good but there has to be a limit.No offense to infiltration, but he takes FOREVER.

dennishubs said on February 3, 2013 at 5:34 p.m.

nothing wrong with the current method. Infitration's note reading is fine, it only felt long during the canada 5v5 because he had to read 5 different notes on 5 different players and characters in a row.

Chameleonice said on February 3, 2013 at 5:42 p.m.

Maybe this is just me, but I like to take my time during a fight and in-between fights. I actually really get a little aggravated when folks mash buttons to skip past the fight intros (or past dialogue scenes in video games in general), as I use that breather to get my head into the fight and calm myself down and, honestly, just 'get into the mood'. I'm a patient individual and I like to take things slow.

Perhaps this is why Marvel really has never been my kind of game :P Everything's meant to happen extremely quickly and 'slow and steady' styles are punished.

I do really love how the recent Tekken games do it, though. Your opponent can skip past his intro, but he cannot skip past yours. I've really come to appreciate that.

It's the little things, ya know?

illness690 said on February 3, 2013 at 5:43 p.m.

iusdfygw said on February 3, 2013 at 5:44 p.m.

Dmez said on February 3, 2013 at 5:50 p.m.

I wish more fighting games had faster transitions. The long wait between rounds can become extremely frustrating, especially during a loosing streak.

bunny said on February 3, 2013 at 5:53 p.m.

depends if im winning or losing honestly both have their merits

xShonuffx said on February 3, 2013 at 5:54 p.m.

I think the pause between matches only works within the meta of a tournament game.

The argument here imho is positioning. If your in the corner at the start of the next round, your actually at a disadvantage, unless the stages really are flexible in repositioning your character.

The reason most fighters reset to the middle is to give both players a fair advantage each round, just like in Boxing.

NRS is trying to create fights that are seemless so I understand wher ethey are coming from but we won't have a chance to see how it plays out until the game is released.

lordrockman said on February 3, 2013 at 5:56 p.m.

@2 um stole my name?
and i prefer pauses between rounds!

Existent said on February 3, 2013 at 5:58 p.m.

I don't care as long as there isn't crippling slowdown between rounds like in SFxT. At least for me.

jtir123 said on February 3, 2013 at 5:59 p.m.

Both are fine and should remain in their respective games. There shouldn't be a standard, that's too stifling.

Evil_Hayato said on February 3, 2013 at 6:04 p.m.

IMO it doesn't matter too much. I like both but I have no preference. I do enjoy the traditional round layout but don't mind the occasional no break between rounds ala Killer Instinct/Darkstalkers 3. It honestly throws me off when they do have that because I usually take that small amount of time to adjust and get my game face on depending on where I'm at in the match. hah.

learis1 said on February 3, 2013 at 6:07 p.m.

An interesting question, too hard to answer. Really depends on the game as I like both styles a lot in their respective games. I think the quick style fits well for Injustice and I'm glad they chose it.

Roge9 said on February 3, 2013 at 6:08 p.m.

yeah the faster the better, you can think about the match when your cursor is on the rematch button.

Liamis1337 said on February 3, 2013 at 6:10 p.m.

I think it depends on the game. Something very cinematic like Injustice it makes sense to make everything seamless to preserve that movie like feeling wheras a game like Street fighter 4 I think the pauses are good since street fighter is a more tactical slower style of game. Personally I kind of like the pause between rounds to take a deep breath and get ready for the next phase of the match. The winner of the first round has to mentally prepare to not get complaceant and prepare for a more desperate opponant who is going to take more risk to even up the match.

zUkUu said on February 3, 2013 at 6:15 p.m.

Depends on what happened. If you're struggling against a certain gimmick it helps to quickly gather all your option in your mind. Otherwise getting back into the action somewhat quickish is the way to go.

Lionheart819 said on February 3, 2013 at 6:22 p.m.

The faster the better for me...

This happened to me last night and it kinda killed my mood for the rest of the night because of how slow paced it made everything. I was playing in Umvc against someone random and he went to the character select screen after every match (regardless of win/lose) and he didn't change anything for the 7 times that he went to the character select screen. I stayed because he taunted me after beating me 2-0 and I wanted my revenge. He would wait until the last possible moment to go to the character select screen and wait until the last possible moment to select his characters.

Gam3B0y said on February 3, 2013 at 6:34 p.m.

as Cammy player I'd like to have instant round 2 :D

Hypermarth said on February 3, 2013 at 6:42 p.m.

Neutral position is much better... It's not like it's "Slow" waiting for it to say fight again it's a difference of like 4-5 seconds...

irrenmann said on February 3, 2013 at 6:43 p.m.

I like to see the characters express themselves about the victory or defeat of the just-concluded round.

Professor_Icepick said on February 3, 2013 at 6:44 p.m.

Depends on the game, honestly. I honestly appreciate the Vampire Savior/Killer Instinct-style of round transitions more lately, just because they're that much rarer. But for games like Street Fighter and KoF, the pause between rounds feels...well, natural.

ya_boy said on February 3, 2013 at 6:52 p.m.

I would also have to say it depends on the game. For something like Blazblue where the characters have a little quip before the next round starts that is kind of nice.
Other games however don't need it and having the next round start almost instantly keeps the tension going.
Though when it comes to positions resetting to neutral I think that should always happen if it affects the gameplay a lot. No one would want to start cornered just because you lost the last round in a corner after all.

gentlestrength said on February 3, 2013 at 7:08 p.m.

I think it depends on the mechanics of the game. Being an SF player (and a former KoF player), I like the pauses in between rounds and would even approve of going to the character select screen in between sets (if a player requests). Both these games are much slower-paced than something like BlazBlue or Persona 4. Thus, strategy and mindgames play a bigger part (in my opinion anyway). For games like UMvC, I imagine faster is better (from observation since I don't really play the game).

Of course, I believe that in either case, a reset of positioning should happen in every game in some way or the other (as stated by others before me).

Schwoi said on February 3, 2013 at 7:16 p.m.

what #16 said.

Rainierman said on February 3, 2013 at 7:41 p.m.

I don't think either of them is better than the other, for the reasons the main post already explained. They just serve different purposes, as many other design decisions do. So the developer will just have to make the right call in which one fits his game the best.

And I think, Injustice has made the right call with its system, just as much as Street Fighter did with its own, for example. So I'm looking forward to playing Injustice.

ShinzoBishamon said on February 3, 2013 at 7:48 p.m.

I like the KOF XIII style

MMGboys said on February 3, 2013 at 7:50 p.m.
Tensa said on February 3, 2013 at 7:55 p.m.

sf style is the best but it depends on the game

Kuya117 said on February 3, 2013 at 8:01 p.m.

Thing's are fine the way they are

FakeVariable said on February 3, 2013 at 8:34 p.m.

I like round transitions to be like CvS2...actually, I just like CvS2

Graphf said on February 3, 2013 at 8:49 p.m.

HiryuMK said on February 3, 2013 at 9:07 p.m.

Between rounds? No, in SSFIV, I keep pressing Starts multiple time to skip the victory pose as soon as possible.

chipndip said on February 3, 2013 at 9:12 p.m.

For games like MVC/CvS/Super Smash:

One round per match. 2/3 is a TON for a game like this. Rounds in MVC games take around 3 minutes per anyway.

For others:

After each round, reset to neutral position with fully healed life. It's called "neutral game" for a reason. I dislike when I have 2 gauges or so of health, and when I lose a ROUND, I have to spend time working at the rest of the other dude's health for him to lose a round, so by the time we're at the "final round", I'm already half-way dead. If that's the case, just have one round with a bigger health gauge. Also, not resetting back to neutral position is kind of stupid. What if you lost the round in a corner? Corners are HORRID in fighting games. You mean to tell me I have to start up round two at a disadvantage as big as the corner? That's like starting a CoD match with your radar jammed...

Smorgasboard said on February 3, 2013 at 9:22 p.m.

Why have rounds in the first place if you are not going to have a break in between?

If there are no breaks, might as well make it one big round.

Cpt_Jack_House said on February 3, 2013 at 9:30 p.m.

Depends on the game, and the mode for me personally, Story mode or survival mode? I generally want the transition to be quick, Arcade and Versus mode I like the traditionally longer transitions.
But there's no reason for them to be longer than they need to be, SC and Tekken have replays which can be nifty and are longer reasonably, while games like SFIV(K.O. -> pause -> Victory Speak -> pause -> fade to black) could be a bit shorter.
Either way most of the longer ones can be skipped, it normally doesn't slow things down too much.

OmegaZero said on February 3, 2013 at 9:54 p.m.

this is actually a really good question, so heres what I think:

Having a generally longer pause is good, for games that are slow paced like street fighter, mostly cause its a game that you need to play the footsie game, and play with your normals, rather than going all out doing crazy things.

For games like fast paced games, like guilty gear, like marvel, like kof, is good to have less time in between rounds, or no rounds, cause that keep the game fast, so you can keep your momentum, games like this where momentum is everything should have little, to no time in between rounds.

Lets take smash, for example, on tournaments we see 2 out of 3, and stocks battle, so theres no rounds, just 1 game where you need to hae momentum, however everytime someone gets kill they can stay for a bit of time up in the sky, this time helps the player that just die, to think what could help him perform better, however the player who score the kill has the platform for himself, he can position himself wherever he wants, or do what most professional players do, wavedash, dash forward, and do quick fair, dair, nair, or any quick tech, they do this to keep momentum and keep their minds focus on the game, this is great, cause your give your oponent the time to take a breath in between life as well as giving your oponent the chance to keep his momentum by giving them the freedom to spam tech while they wait (this in the case a player wants to take time, most of the time you see people going right back on the game).

So basically it depends in how the game its design, if the someone get and advantage with screen positioning then rounds that reset position and health should be implemented, if they dont have that kind of thing and the game is kind of like killer instinct then having quick pauses during rounds keep the game fast and enjoyable.

GokaiGreen said on February 3, 2013 at 10:08 p.m.

jme said on February 3, 2013 at 10:16 p.m.

It doesn't matter. But What #1 said not true. Players do need a breather wth are you talking about

riceface said on February 3, 2013 at 10:24 p.m.

sf traditional style is better,

LunaSlave said on February 3, 2013 at 10:31 p.m.

I personally like a break, and then a reset to a neutral position, but it depends on the game. MK system works for MK, VS system works for VS, etc. I love replays of the action, though - a lot of the 3d fighters get this one right.

mozart0341 said on February 3, 2013 at 10:46 p.m.

All ways loved darkstalkers round style.

theshredder39 said on February 4, 2013 at 12:23 a.m.

I can see either working for two types of crowds.

On one hand the fight over all is much faster and ya know it won't break the flow.

On the other hand there are people who take the time for the next round as a short break to get ready for the next round.

I can go both ways with this especially since the MVC series, while it may not have a multiple round system, the team mechanic in it's own way acted as one in itself and each match in those games is non stop action no matter what's going on.

Nayte said on February 4, 2013 at 1:11 a.m.

Street Fighter system with a victory pose and a round reset (positionning, life bar but keeping supermeter) is the most even.

On a commentaries purpose, having the choice to go fast beetwen rounds (smashing buttons) OR take a long breath (do not cancel the victory stance automatically after 5 sec).

It allows either to go fast in casual games, or to speak about the past round during analysing commentaries. Let the choice !

Murdurus said on February 4, 2013 at 2:59 a.m.

I prefer the Street Fighter round resets. I never really enjoyed the other ways but it might be because I grew up with Street Fighter and that was the way I saw how fighting games should be. I feel like that the length of time isn't too long but it isn't too short either. I also prefer the positions resetting as opposed to something like MK where one bad round can lead up to a loss in a match.

gtfopanda said on February 4, 2013 at 3:47 a.m.

I think Street Fighter pretty much nailed it: if you lose the round and want to get back into action, you mash start and there won't be any wait.

On the other hand if you need a couple seconds to regroup (and your opponent allows you to), you can.

It's cool because you get to choose pretty much from both things.

ChipsLight said on February 4, 2013 at 3:56 a.m.

Personally, I think they're should be some fancy stuff after a round is finished like "What's the matter Ken ? You were better when we were training" for exemple.
I think we need fancy stuff with multiples awnsers against certain characters but the ability to skip it/have an option that skip it everytime.

Louiscipher said on February 4, 2013 at 5:26 a.m.

Quick transition. Run it back.

Why is this even a question?

Jandro83 said on February 4, 2013 at 6:18 a.m.

What's all this "note" reading? If you depend on notes before a fight, you suck. You need to think on the fly, no need for dumb notes, this isn't a school test. Anyways I prefer rounds, a stop in the action and reset to neutral positions I think is necessary.

lukenvoy said on February 4, 2013 at 6:47 a.m.

Momentum please

ElHiznahn said on February 4, 2013 at 7:28 a.m.

@29 I hate that. But if I'm playing someone and he starts taunting/teabagging like an ugly loser IRL after he wins, I want revenge (I don't do that in general). So if I win, I'll throw it back at him, then I'll wait until the last second to quit.

Once in a while, I'll get a hate message from someone who obviously wasn't raised correctly as a child then I'll troll.

Pingu21 said on February 4, 2013 at 7:29 a.m.

I prefer with a little break like in SF, the Darkstalker system where the fight restart immediately is quite tough to play for me.

BlankaBeast said on February 4, 2013 at 7:37 a.m.

Time to think is good.

Oroku_Saki said on February 4, 2013 at 7:47 a.m.

For me it depends on the game being played. Sometimes I like it with fast in-game transitions, and other times, I like going to the victory state, then starting the next round at neutral.

jme said on February 4, 2013 at 8:18 a.m.

And technically in MK9 if you're too close the winning characters backs up.

RoanHen said on February 4, 2013 at 8:43 a.m.

KOF style is the best one, IMO.

BlackReaper201 said on February 4, 2013 at 8:58 a.m.

#46 said it best.

I like Guilty Gear's way of doing it.

CheenaLincoln0022 said on February 4, 2013 at 10 a.m.

shekeib said on February 4, 2013 at 10:31 a.m.

don't need transitions in ssf4, the ultra animations give you plenty of time to think.

RawVoltage said on February 4, 2013 at 12:56 p.m.

Small tiny breather; maybe 2-3 seconds.

FatMus2 said on February 4, 2013 at 11:23 p.m.

I like the SF4 style where you sort of have the option to let the in between rounds win animation play out or hit start to go to the next round. If you want a bit of a breather you can let the animation play out. If you're really feeling a match you can mash start to get right into the next round ASAP. The only problem is that both players can hit start which could be annoying for you if the other guy presses start and you didn't want it. Maybe if there was a system in place where only the loser could skip the animation, that'd be cool.

Monette said on February 5, 2013 at 9:01 a.m.

Kof 13 style(= because I can eat or drink in between lol but ifs sfxt or umvc then shorter is better

sarif2soon said on February 6, 2013 at 2:21 a.m.

i agree with #58; but i also think that there should quicker transition only if BOTH players hit start.