Updated: Squigly announced as DLC for Skullgirls, information in the coming weeks

Posted by SFilp • February 1, 2013 at 5:44 p.m. PST
Updated: The official Skullgirls Facebook has posted an HD image of Squigly in game with her alternate colors.

The final Skullgirls donation drive to get the game to Evo 2013 has concluded. During the conclusion of the stream, Autumn Games announced Squigly as a DLC character to the game.

In total Skullgirls raised $78,760 for breast cancer research in an attempt to get the game at this years Evolution. More information on Squiggly will be released in the next few weeks.

If you hit the jump, you can check out some of Squigly's gameplay, please remember it's in its early stages and some things are not yet animated.

Click image for larger version

Sent in by Mezerian.

Comments

Nightblade777 said on February 1, 2013 at 12:57 a.m.

Squigly looks awesome! Can't wait for her to be finished and released! Plus she has a divekick. Kappa.

Doopliss said on February 1, 2013 at 1 a.m.

That's great, I was assuming I wouldn't see any more SG-characters.

GokaiGreen said on February 1, 2013 at 1:05 a.m.

gluemchen said on February 1, 2013 at 1:07 a.m.

She seems to be a very nifty character.

rakuko said on February 1, 2013 at 1:07 a.m.

I was looking forward to Squigly ever since i saw the artwork samples.

wonder if this'll make it in.

BeatNinja said on February 1, 2013 at 1:16 a.m.

I was in the stream when Mike pulled out the key, couldn't stop freaking out...
SO HYPE

HooliganComboFTW said on February 1, 2013 at 1:36 a.m.

Ah a DLC character finally appears

She has such a great forward walk animation and is gonna be a Stance Character

Great speech from Mike Z at the end too

Ice9 said on February 1, 2013 at 1:46 a.m.

Footage starts at the sound of the Squee.

Otter_of_Death said on February 1, 2013 at 1:48 a.m.

That is tight! I SO wanted this character as DLC!

Crazcar said on February 1, 2013 at 2:14 a.m.

Saw this live. Though I think it'll be a while before she becomes available (so far she has no attack animations, dashes, etc.), I'd buy her just for the forward walking animation, too damn cute lol.

iMTopTier said on February 1, 2013 at 2:51 a.m.

finally announcing DLC? good now it can go to EVO

i dont want to see a 50+ players tournament using the same 3-5 characters -_-

yaboiman said on February 1, 2013 at 4:02 a.m.

we need more pls!!!

Louiscipher said on February 1, 2013 at 4:04 a.m.

Interesting Tim Burton/Zone-Tan/Jhonen Vasquez design going on there. Looking forward to this character.

ChipsLight said on February 1, 2013 at 4:10 a.m.

Finally !
My future main will come to the game ! \o/

iushdfiu said on February 1, 2013 at 4:20 a.m.

Zentsurugi said on February 1, 2013 at 4:37 a.m.

Yes!!! This is fantastic news! I knew this game wasn't dead! So hype!

draw2 said on February 1, 2013 at 4:39 a.m.

This game is so un-dead...it slipped past my filter...
?

Gailim said on February 1, 2013 at 4:56 a.m.

wow can't they put both of them in there? I know 8 games was crazy enough but these two raised so much. It seems a shame to see SG not make it after all that

Joutari said on February 1, 2013 at 4:57 a.m.
Wolfz said on February 1, 2013 at 5:02 a.m.

This is some very good walk forward animation

Zentsurugi said on February 1, 2013 at 5:13 a.m.

I was hoping SG would make it too. They raised sooooo much money. I was sure they would win. They should get a slot too though just for that. Plus more information on what's to come for the game would be perfect for the EVO event. Still I am thrilled to see my favorite fighting game still kicking.

icejohn said on February 1, 2013 at 6:19 a.m.

Second best morning EVER!!!

mozart0341 said on February 1, 2013 at 6:27 a.m.

Looks like a Tim Burton character which is not a bad thing. Here's me praying for maybe 2 more characters.

JayOneTheSk8 said on February 1, 2013 at 7:22 a.m.

Awesome... now about the patch for Xbox....

ShinAkiraDesu said on February 1, 2013 at 7:26 a.m.

<3 i have been waiting forever. but mike. wheres my patch?

bunny said on February 1, 2013 at 7:48 a.m.

best weiner dragon ever!

mrdrofficer said on February 1, 2013 at 7:57 a.m.

Awesome. Awesome. Awesome. Awesome. Awesome. Awesome. Awesome. Awesome. Awesome. Awesome. Awesome. Awesome. Awesome. Awesome. Awesome. Awesome. Awesome. Awesome. Awesome. Awesome. Awesome. Awesome. Awesome. Awesome. Awesome. Awesome. Awesome. Awesome. Awesome. Awesome. Awesome. Awesome. Awesome. Awesome. Awesome. Awesome. Awesome. Awesome. Awesome. Awesome. Awesome. Awesome. Awesome. Awesome. Awesome. Awesome. Awesome. Awesome. Awesome. Awesome. Awesome. Awesome. Awesome. Awesome. Awesome. Awesome. Awesome. Awesome. Awesome. Awesome. Awesome. Awesome. Awesome.

liddell1988 said on February 1, 2013 at 7:58 a.m.

Well, finally. I really hope they'll keep them coming :)

JCrab said on February 1, 2013 at 8:40 a.m.

No patch yet? is this a joke or what?

BumblebeeCody said on February 1, 2013 at 8:44 a.m.

I was hoping for maybe 2 more. iMTopTier MvC itself is pretty much the same 3 characters.

Kurow said on February 1, 2013 at 9:33 a.m.

They said she will have stances and different modes to play also that she and the snake attack doing combinations almost every time :P. Sounds cool!

jme said on February 1, 2013 at 9:34 a.m.

There will be more I hope.

KingKong said on February 1, 2013 at 9:49 a.m.

"If you hit the jump, you can check out some of Squigly's gameplay"

Nope. I don't see anything other than an offline twitch tv stream

caruga said on February 1, 2013 at 10:22 a.m.
roknin said on February 1, 2013 at 10:29 a.m.

While Skullgirls may not be my thing sadly enough, I do admire the work their team does, absolutely love the artwork, and look forward to Squigly and more DLC coming soon. And I have to say that so far I'm loving everything bout her design.

KingKong said on February 1, 2013 at 10:34 a.m.

@34 thanks man

TwoCoins said on February 1, 2013 at 11:02 a.m.

would of rather seen Big Band, Paunzerfraust and Black Dahlia

badjab326 said on February 1, 2013 at 11:14 a.m.

Bum pretty much summed up the way I feel about this game. Not interested in the character design, an all female cast, or the weird crap every character has going on.

I definitely respect the team though for all the work they put in, and the game has some really nice features. But come on man, dem char designs are ass.

superray21 said on February 1, 2013 at 11:30 a.m.

@38- summed up my thoughts, pretty much.
I'm glad they were able to raise money for breast cancer and all, but
I totally agree about the character designs.
I also really feel that this game has been shoved down my throat and have never had a desire to play it because of that and the character design.

TaoTuna said on February 1, 2013 at 12:25 p.m.

Agree with 27

RedRapperSux said on February 1, 2013 at 12:34 p.m.

I used to not like Skullgirls... I don't know why really, I must of got caught up in an FGC sheeple effect without even being aware of it. The game is pretty damn good and this news is great.

BlankaBeast said on February 1, 2013 at 12:37 p.m.

Cool, good job guys!

Mecha_G said on February 1, 2013 at 1:09 p.m.

I had given up all hope of ever seeing any DLC characters.

hazelnut1112 said on February 1, 2013 at 1:28 p.m.

This is good. maybe they can use this DLC as a way to patch in for xbox360 players. Good loophole.

Cyan said on February 1, 2013 at 1:36 p.m.

Resurrect this bitch!

JiCi said on February 1, 2013 at 2:12 p.m.

Great... can we get the other 21 characters that were supposed to be in the first release as well?

Kawalorn said on February 1, 2013 at 2:26 p.m.

#47 Right after you show the exact quote saying there were supposed to be that many. And no that one about having many IDEAS, DESINGS and PLANS does not count.

JesseRobles said on February 1, 2013 at 2:39 p.m.

Great news! <3

Viro_veteruscy said on February 1, 2013 at 4:26 p.m.

Whoo!

jdsfweg said on February 1, 2013 at 6:20 p.m.

Kenshiro said on February 1, 2013 at 7:55 p.m.

Pretty good news. This game needs more publicity.

Rainierman said on February 1, 2013 at 8:34 p.m.

I'll be one to defend the character concepts. I'm might not be thrilled about the designs themselves, appearance wise, but the characters are interesting, and that's what keeps me with an eye on this game. So I'm happy about these news.

Sadly, there is just one thing that stops me from ever getting this game regardless. Just one, and I'm kinda ashamed to admit it. My stomach can't stand Double's animations. She just grosses me out so much I feel like... brb. xD

Squigly looks like somebody I'd easily main though. That, or Peacock. There's a lot of fun to be had from creative characters like the ones in Skullgirls, in my opinion. And that's what's important in a game, isn't it?

AttorneyMayCry said on February 1, 2013 at 9:32 p.m.

It's about damn time.

Supasnupakoopa said on February 1, 2013 at 10:53 p.m.

Squiggly my darling, where have you been all my Skullgirls life, you are one of the characters that I have been waiting on (both her and Feng) to complete my team (Filia, Squiggly, and Feng) If you are made available, then even though I am poor, I will gladly purchase you, please make this happen

Crondizzle said on February 1, 2013 at 11:26 p.m.

Existent said on February 2, 2013 at 12:53 a.m.

Nah man, the art style is divisive at best.

Kurow said on February 2, 2013 at 2:14 a.m.

The art style is suppose to be some kind of horror + cartoon but I suppose that Americans can only like Marvel/DC comic style art. They do no like "anime games" like persona or guilty gear either :S.

yowhenssfxt said on February 2, 2013 at 8:47 a.m.

HooliganComboFTW said on February 2, 2013 at 9:23 a.m.

The fix is not clicking the article

Existent said on February 2, 2013 at 10:31 a.m.

That's an unbelievably broad generalization. Come on man.

wonzan said on February 2, 2013 at 10:39 a.m.

picture makes me think "edwina penis hand" (sorry for being immature lol)

Supasnupakoopa said on February 2, 2013 at 10:39 a.m.

lol I really like the art style of Skullgirls. its very unique and inspiring. However art style/character design will never sit well with everyone, seeing as how beauty is subjective. Tbh I really dont like the art style/character design of sf4. But because the game play is decent, I put up with it. It is kinda sad that a lot of people let someone's artistic creativity get in the way of an otherwise really enjoyable game

KaboomKid said on February 2, 2013 at 12:44 p.m.

I wonder how people would react to Injustice if the whole game was being done in the Bruce Timm style. There's not much that separates that style from what's in Skullgirls, but until recently it wasn't really something you'd connect with a "serious" fighting game. That might be what's actually turning some people off to this game.

I imagine some people are also just uncomfortable associating this art style with "sexiness" too. Jane Jetson is an iconic cartoon character, but I'd understand if someone was uneasy playing a fighting game featuring similar looking characters in short skirts shooting fireballs. Our tastes can vary a lot in certain situations, so sometimes we just need to acknowledge that a quality product can be presented in a way we don't personally enjoy.

Anyway, I do like the Skullgirls characters, and I'm glad that the team is sticking with their vision. It's cool to see that Japan isn't the only country cultivating crazy new ideas in fighting games.

Lyn said on February 2, 2013 at 1:20 p.m.

@Rainerman

You'll hate me then, Double is my main and favorite among the entire cast.

I MEAN LOOK AT HER! WHY NOT MAIN HER!?

Rainierman said on February 2, 2013 at 2:42 p.m.

xD Because *vomits*

ldfgwergweg said on February 3, 2013 at 3:15 a.m.

Ex_Ein said on February 3, 2013 at 11:20 p.m.

*Yawn* looks like bullsh!t!

skip1329 said on February 6, 2013 at 3:08 a.m.

I want to say this as respectfully as possible, so please bear with me...

The game was great. I love the artwork. I liked most of the jokes. I even got some good nostalgia from this being the first game to kill my thumbs since the 90s.

All that aside, the list of characters was just too short to keep the attention of both my roommate and myself. We even bought the game seperately to help fund more content. My mom has stage 4 breast cancer, and I appreciate the charity thing, but 1 new character is too little too late for me. I look forward to your future products, but I just can't wait any longer for this one to get better.

FightinFailure said on March 28, 2013 at 3:29 a.m.

Her walk animation is adorable, and the game needs more characters. All for the inclusion of DLC if it's worth while.