Updated: Recap of the February 1 monthly chat session with the EventHubs team

Posted by SFilp
February 3, 2013 at 1:20 p.m. PST
Updated: Recap of the February 1 monthly chat session with the EventHubs team Updated: If you happened to miss the chat session earlier this week, Snipe over on our forums has posted the entire log from the event. While the entire log is a giant wall of text, Snipe also created a recap with some of the more important questions that were addressed.

Today, February 1, 2013, we here at EventHubs will be holding our second live chat session in our IRC channel at 5 p.m. PST / 1 a.m. GMT. Catalyst, Dreamking, TheUncharted and myself will all be in attendance.

Like our previous chat session, we will be in the IRC channel for thirty minutes and we will answer any questions you may have for us, whether it be about the Fight Tracker, future of the site or any other subjects.

So be sure to stop by if you guys get a chance and come chat with the EventHubs crew.

Shout outs to ZombieBrian for helping put this all together.

Catalyst: OK, so first off, TheUncharted is our head programmer, a lot of the new developments and things you see around the site are his work. SFilp is our lead editor, you should recognize him from all of the front page posts. DreamKing23 is an editor, he does a lot of front page posts, guide updates and such. Also handles all of the main stories on the weekend and the weekly events. Nyoro isn't here (busy in real life) but he's also another editor on our team.

So, the next thing we're working on is a big improvement to the Fight Tracker, we're going to enable people to enter their primary, secondary and third characters into the Tracker per game. You'll be able to say find... a SSF4 AE v2012 player who rates themselves as a 7 skill level or higher and plays Gen. This should be helpful when you need help with a specific match up or help against a team. That also leads us into generating stats for these games, per character. So you'll see a full breakdown of the most popular characters per every game in the Fight Tracker now, and team games will be supported as well. The stats thing is further off, but it's still coming.

Anyway, we have A LOT of stuff planned for 2013, we're going to be expanding the site greatly, but that is what's on the horizon.

Catalyst: One of the things we try to avoid is doing things that other people are already doing really well. We don't want to step in the ring and just replicate what EVO/IPL/Level|Up, etc. are doing with tournaments. We would want to bring something new to the table. We generally try to innovate vs. re-inventing the wheel.

2. OmegaZero: Then how about sponsoring players? Something to have the EH name on it.

Catalyst: We actually sponsor DMG, a FGC group. Instead of running it ourselves, which is a lot of work, we've generally just sponsored other groups to help them out.

3. Bemvindoooooo: Maybe EH could add thumbs up/down rating system to comments?

Catalyst: Something like that is coming, yes.

4. Kewlname: What do you think of an EH 24/7 stream? Or an EH sponsored tournament perhaps?

Catalyst: We've generally avoid doing things like a 24/7 stream since Peaceful Jay and PandaXGaming are already doing a great job there. We try to support their efforts instead of doing our own thing. We also sponsor tournaments. We actually sponsored Seasons Beatings here a few months back and have done others in the past.

5. Undead_Hayabusa: Will there be more ways to customize our profile page? Things like background customizations, banners and whatnot.

TheUncharted: Something like that is planned for the future, but we haven’t worked out all the details.

6. Undead_Hayabusa: Are you guys planning anything mobile?
Kars: How about an iPhone/Android app for EH?

TheUncharted: We’re working on an Android/iPhone/Mobile app also, but don’t want to reveal too much info too early.

7. Tetra: I really think EH needs a reply system in the comments section. Will it happen?

Catalyst: Reply system is coming soon.

8. FatMus2: So when you say sponsor, you mean with real money?

Catalyst: Yes, all on our sponsorships have been for real money. When we sponsored the first CEO tournament, 2010 I think it was, our sponsorship money went into the bonus pot for SSF4 AE.

9. Anonymous: Will there be a section for Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 3?

Catalyst: Sorry, no Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 3 coverage from us.

10. Snipe: In older articles you have mentioned there was gonna be a bigger prize down the line for guide makers. Any info on that?

Catalyst: You know, we never actually followed through on that. That's something I'll correct here soonish. Give us a month or two and I’ll have a front page announcement up.

11. Keyblade9: Is sponsoring something you guys will like to do in the future, as far as players or some events?

Catalyst: Yeah, we'll continue to sponsor events and sponsorship groups themselves. It's something we always try to do.

12. xShonuffx: Since Melee might make it to EVO, you think you might make a page for it?

Catalyst: I don't know if older versions of Smash will receive their own pages, but it's possible they will. I'm not sure if I've given carpal tunnel to SFilp and DreamKing23EH by now, but if I haven't... they might be on their way. Smash wouldn't be as much work, but there are things that are a bit more pressing at the moment than Smash, but it's something we can possibly loop back around and get if there's enough demand for it.

13. OmegaZero: EH should have their own store.

Catalyst: We have a merch store in the works. It should debut sometime this year, but no more details beyond that yet.
SFilp: I believe a few of things we've discussed but nothing is final is items like t-shirts, arcade stick bags, and other things like that.

14. RA_MO: Catalyst... When will we finally take over the world already?

Catalyst: The world should be taken over by 2011. We’re still on track, right?

15. DoomFist: Think you’ll ever take questions via a stream like Capcom does? That would be awesome I wanna see your face

Catalyst: It's an idea, we're just probably not nearly as interesting as the Capcom guys. Maybe when we grow a bit larger and have more interesting things to say, heh.

16. OmegaZero: How about a gaming channel with the EH staff, doing random stuff just for the sake of viewers?

SFilp: DreamKing and I will probably be doing quite a few videos of gameplay against each other in the near future.

Catalyst: One of the things we run into with front page posts is lack of interest. We do try and keep people up to date with other games, but a lot of times those stories don't really connect with our readerbase. If they don't connect with our readerbase, we tend to stop doing them.

Shinzo: I understand. I just feel that sometimes EH seems to only post things from Capcom, and occasionally some other games if some news for it pops up.

18. Kewlname: Do you see the FGC on an upslope or a downslope at the current time?

Catalyst: It's actually going up, but it took a big hit by SFxT sucking. So, it's recovering from SFxT suckery, but with IPL on board and EVO's attendance up higher than ever, and SFxT being good now... we should see a decent turn around.

19. FatMus2: It might sound kind of trollish, but here it goes. Do you guys HONESTLY like SFxT (2013 or Vanilla even)?

Undead_Hayabusa: neh
xShonuffx: .....
Tetra: no
OmegaZero: No
Kars: not anymore
Keyblade9: yes lol
OmegaZero: sfxt is just street 4 with juggles but with the same damage output, meaning timeouts everywhere.
Shinzo: I don't find the game interesting, but playing it I can tell this is what the game should have been in the first place
xShonuffx: SFxT to me is just a faster version of SF4.
DoomFist: I'm poor as heck so I can't play any of the new fighting games but I do watch SFxT matches now and then. I love the 'flow' of the game for some reason. It's like ST except more modern looking to me. v2013 has higher damage and faster pace so I do like it.

FatMus2: lol that was to the EH Admins lol

DreamKing23: I didn't like Vanilla very much. I went back to try and play it and everyone ran from me. I'm liking 2k13 though. Lars is so fitting to my playstyle.
Catalyst: I like it so far. I'm just starting to spend time on it again, and I think SFIlp and DreamKing23 were just playing SFxT v2013.

20. VirtuaKazama: I don’t know if anyone asked this question, but what made you guys post news from non-Capcom games?

Catalyst: SFilp and DreamKing coming on board, heh. The first ... 4ish years of Eventhubs... all front page posts were done by me. Those guys have been a huge help and enabled us to expand into other games and a hell of a lot more.
SFilp: All news is fairly slow sometimes, some days it's rather hard to keep our schedule. DreamKing23: Yeah, once I came on board, my first job as a baby news editor was KOF 13 guides.

21. OmegaZero: Do you guys see EH sponsoring a large amount of players or groups in the future? And when I say future I mean like 5 to 10 years maybe.

Catalyst: It's possible. We'll have to see what partnerships and opportunities present themselves. If something great comes up and we have the finances to do so, yeah, I could see that happening.

22. Tetra: I like EH’s simple and clean style, any redesigns on the front page soon? Dark blue has been around for a long time.

Catalyst: We probably won't be redesigning things any time soon, but we might have some customization options coming, if people keep asking about them.

23. Jme: Have you guys ever considered making your own fighting game like how Mike Z did?

Catalyst: Nah, we're mostly web developers/writers here. We'll leave the game development to the guys who know how to do it right.

24. xxMarshy: About the Fight Tracker, is there any way we can get it to sort players by their main characters instead of skill level? Skill level is hard to determine by yourself.

SFilp: I believe that’s something we’re working on.

Comments

GokaiGreen said on February 1, 2013 at 4:36 p.m.

jme said on February 1, 2013 at 5:35 p.m.

I told you I'll see in the comment section below

jdsfweg said on February 1, 2013 at 6:20 p.m.

gtfopanda said on February 2, 2013 at 9:57 a.m.

Any chance we can get a recap like the last time?

ldfgwergweg said on February 3, 2013 at 3:15 a.m.

DevilMaySpy said on February 3, 2013 at 1:29 p.m.

Fight tracker update sounds really good. I'd love to meet other Viper players to ask for help.

bunny said on February 3, 2013 at 1:35 p.m.

dang i likes the sound of that new fight tracker keep up the glood work....the typo's for you SFilp

zeth07 said on February 3, 2013 at 1:45 p.m.

"17. Shinzo: Why isn’t there more love for KOF? You go out of your way to find stuff for Marvel and AE, when match videos for KOF can be found everywhere as well.

Catalyst: I understand where you're coming from. Capcom games are the most popular, so it's what we post the most of. I wish the other games were just as popular, but there's a huge decline in readership — typically — when going from Capcom games to other titles in the FGC."

----------
I just want to comment about this. It is like a Catch 22 scenario. If you post a 1000 entries for Street Fighter or Marvel it isn't surprising if it is the most popular. If you only post 10 entries for KOF or BB, how exactly is it supposed to gain popularity if you aren't going to "support it" like you do the other games?

Just because you only get a few hits from KOF/BB doesn't mean you should not do it if you're supposed to be covering ALL fighting games nowadays. The more you post those other games the more attention they get, and then they can become more popular.

You are basically saying since they aren't AS popular as the Capcom games ALREADY, you aren't going to even bother unless it is something important.

You guys post NETPLAY matches of Street Fighter players I'm sure most people never even heard of, yet you almost never post Japanese BlazBlue tournaments with known players that people would know. That generates popularity if people have a name they can attach to the game. You guys are more or less ignoring this entirely just because it isn't Capcom.

yanglikeswang said on February 3, 2013 at 1:54 p.m.

ShinzoBishamon said on February 3, 2013 at 2:19 p.m.

@8 I agree with your comment, like I said i find new videos for KOF and also BB everyday. The videos are there its just whether or not they want to post it is the case.

Os said on February 3, 2013 at 2:24 p.m.

i need help, can somebody tell me where can i find the first complete pack of alternate costumes for Street Fighter 4? i cant find it on the PSN store :(

Chrisuchiwa said on February 3, 2013 at 2:30 p.m.

You guys are great, keep working as hard as you are doing.

zUkUu said on February 3, 2013 at 2:38 p.m.

Something I want to know is, how many (unique) visitor you have daily, and monthly on an average basis. Maybe even some news stats? which games get how many vies etc

Omega94x said on February 3, 2013 at 2:57 p.m.

The fight tracker update does sound pretty cool

dro2191 said on February 3, 2013 at 3:14 p.m.

@ event hubs these are the ideas that appeal to me
1- a like/dislike system to comments
2- more options to customize your profile (background pics etc)
3- rating our main characters in the games we play
4-sort players by their main characters

all in all keep up the good work, i find you guys 10x better than shoryuken. c o m and even game informer,

Catalyst said on February 3, 2013 at 3:50 p.m.

@zeth07

Even when we've done tons of amounts of coverage on KoF and other titles, those games have never pulled in the readership of Capcom games.

Typically when a game is launched/updated, we devote a fair amount of coverage to it, but even then, Capcom games are far and away the most popular. This page also backs that up.

Our team enjoys non-Capcom games and we do try and keep people abreast of what's going on in the whole FGC, but at the end of the day, we have to serve our readers and what their wishes/wants are.

Catalyst said on February 3, 2013 at 3:51 p.m.

@Everyone who left a comment.

Feedback read here and digested.

godfist314 said on February 3, 2013 at 4:02 p.m.

Cool one of my questions got featured! I'm Doomfist :).

Yes eventhubs is really awesome, their pages load fast and there seem to be new articles every 1-2 hours. I can't think of much in the way of things that I'd like to see added besides having a live stream like Ask Capcom has.

BlackMasamune said on February 3, 2013 at 5:35 p.m.

@Catalyst

Then why not go back to the old EH, and eliminate coverage of all non Capcom Games?

DevilMaySpy said on February 3, 2013 at 8:32 p.m.

@ #19: Because that wouldn't be fair to people looking for really important news on the lesser played games, like who placed in majors, DLC updates, patches, etc. Even though I visit TestYourMight, I will still come to Eventhubs for Injustice updates.

zeth07 said on February 3, 2013 at 9:25 p.m.

@20 But god forbid you get any legitimate tournament matches posted of those games.

Instead you'll get "Funny Moments #147" or "Netplay SF matches from ProudStrawberry" or "Maxmillian's SFxTekken Netplay Matches #254".

Boogityboy said on February 3, 2013 at 9:53 p.m.

BlackMasamune said on February 4, 2013 at 12:01 a.m.

@20, it's not about what's fair, it's about what gets the most attention.

Kirin said on February 4, 2013 at 8:48 a.m.

I think rating system for comment section will be good instead of reply system. There are enough "wars" here already.

However, if reply system did happen, that would be a good reason to actualize what stated on the first question:

"1. OmegaZero: I think a good step for Eventhubs would be to hold its own tournaments in cities and such to make the EH community bigger."

I would love to see these aggressive users meeting each other for real, but not sure for more peaceful situation here.

I just hope everyone here would be able to express their opinions in more friendly ways. If you don't like the comments, just "down vote" it and that's it instead of daily "inb4..., you sound like a..., your tears are like pizza..."

Well, that's just my opinion and after posting this, here I am anticipating some "@24 you..."

xShonuffx said on February 4, 2013 at 9:01 a.m.

@22 First off, SRK.com post videos of Max all the time. I also see no significant differences in quality other than a more fancier border and front page and even EH improved that. I like that the editors ask these questions if anything. It shows the editors care about what their readers think about whats going on in the community and also informs them what people think overall so when companies like Capcom or Namco does polls and ask these sites what people think, they are more accurate rather than assuming what everyone thinks or likes.

Really though, I have no idea what your complaining about. I think EH is awsome.

CheenaLincoln0022 said on February 4, 2013 at 10:04 a.m.

RawVoltage said on February 4, 2013 at 1 p.m.

Disqus commenting system, just sayin'.

Raven said on February 4, 2013 at 2:32 p.m.

I absolutely love eventhubs, it's taught me so much about street fighter and help me grown. You guys are doing a fantastic job, keep up the great work Catalyst and team!