Rosalina can pull in / deflect items, juggle enemies using Luma, and more - IGN's Rewind Theater takes a closer look at the new SSB Wii U fighter

Posted by DreamKing23
December 31, 2013 at 4:22 p.m. PST

Shortly after her initial announcement, IGN posted their Rewind Theater video that takes a closer look at Rosalina in Super Smash Bros. Wii U.

In the usual fashion, the IGN guys breakdown the entire trailer, and discuss some of the more interesting aspects spotted. They catch numerous things that may have been missed upon first viewing.

Rosalina has the ability to pull in / deflect items and projectiles using one of her special moves, can hit juggle combos in conjunction with Luma, and her meteor smash comes in the form of an energy ring that is generated beneath her.

If you're interested in seeing some of what the latest Super Smash Bros. Wii U / 3DS fighter can do, check out the trailer breakdown after the jump.

Mentioned by Ultra David.

Comments

EMP_BrokeTier_Triforce said on December 31, 2013 at 5:23 p.m.

I thought this website covered fighting games

Utils said on December 31, 2013 at 5:27 p.m.

I always find these entertaining.

They're really good at what they do.

bloopbloopbloops said on December 31, 2013 at 5:43 p.m.

very cool. can't wait for this game!! Zelda, kirby, hopefully Diddy, and Roslina, here we go!!!

TheLowestOfTiers said on December 31, 2013 at 6 p.m.

*Reads: "She can pull in/deflect items"*

So she's Pein from Naruto? ;D

MarthFE said on December 31, 2013 at 6:42 p.m.

And I thought the FGC was trying to grow, not die.

Be less ignorant and more accepting. Just because you don't like a game/are bad at it doesn't mean others don't enjoy it for what it is. Sorry, but YOU don't get to label what a fighting game is. Just like with music there are different types, breaking the mold doesn't make smash any less of a fighting game.

Guess people really are afraid of "different" and "change" (if they weren't then people wouldn't be losing interest in umvc3 as well)

theshredder39 said on December 31, 2013 at 6:52 p.m.

Don't bother, a reaction is exactly what that guy wanted.

BlightedAgent said on December 31, 2013 at 7:15 p.m.

Wow, they pointed out the stuff I didn't even notice. I never knew she can pull in items. I think the colors of the Lumas don't signal anything or have unique characteristics. I think when she summons one, it will be a random color.

xShonuffx said on December 31, 2013 at 7:46 p.m.

I feel weird saying this but Rosalina looks so gorgeous the way they designed her. Im kind of liking her more than peach. She also sounds more mature and not as mousey as Peach. I like an elegant lady.

GodPride said on December 31, 2013 at 8:28 p.m.

She's a very interesting character that no one will really use.

x_Who_Is_Alpha said on December 31, 2013 at 9:34 p.m.

Yeah I agree. There's something about her that's refreshing in the Mario Universe. Just a good overall design I guess. I never really stuck with the Galaxy games, but I did like Rosalina a lot when I was playing.

snubtrap said on December 31, 2013 at 9:46 p.m.

I'm not sure how I feel about her specifically yet, but I'm glad that they're willing to try some creative things. Hopefully the rest of the new characters follow suit.

Eye_of_Orochi said on December 31, 2013 at 10:53 p.m.

Can you tell me some lottery numbers while you're at your crystal ball making predictions? That would make my new year.

MarthFE said on December 31, 2013 at 11:18 p.m.

Whether he wanted it or not there's a lot of people who for whatever reason dont accept smash as a fighter, just saying people need to open their eyes... And if they don't want to then hey, doesn't bother me, they're the ones missing out on something amazing while I get to enjoy it with all the other players who had an open mind.

On note of the video, they keep referencing the ice climbers, but I think she'll be nothing like them. If she was like the ice climbers then there would have been no point in adding her to smash. Im assuming B will also be used for positioning luma and A will make it do what rosalina does just to continue your setup (since rosalina cant NOT have A moves it may be considered "copying" Rosalina) whether or not you can take out and put away luma at will is still a mystery, and whether you have different B moves depending on if luma is out or away is still unknown. It'd be a cool feature but it probably won't be like that. I'll assume B calls luma, B forward makes it do that dash move for hits and setups for combos, B up is the launcher recovery, and B down is the "wii star curser" shield... Then then how did she use the gravity to pull in items? Neutral B possibly? Maybe once you call luma or if luma is out by default it just has a health meter in a way (like Ada for Carl) and he disappears temporarily when it's depleted, comes back once it refills (since there's no meter, a timer)

chipndip said on December 31, 2013 at 11:58 p.m.

It's not weird. It's exactly why I'm starting to dig Rosalina too. Just took a few appearances, but I believe Rosalina > Peach. Not by the biggest of margins, but I'd be a definite fan of Rosalina, for sure. She's finally a real female character in the Mario series you can count on.

JesseRobles said on January 1, 2014 at 1:17 a.m.

She's so awesome! Seems that it's gonna be tough to main her, but it'll be a fun process. :)

ZDH513 said on January 1, 2014 at 3:56 a.m.

I actually never really considered smash a fighter but that was early on in my years of just casually playing fighting games and after getting more serious and buying my own equipment i decided to revist smash and it is a very complex and well set fighter i never really gave credit too although with that said i was always set back with how little nintendo cared about balance and with brawl just being brawl i could never see myself getting serious in the game but with this game and especially a charc like rosalina i am actually getting hype i can't wait to try it out :)

Sunforged_One said on January 1, 2014 at 4:01 a.m.

I agree on Rosalina > Peach.

I don't agree on her beeing a character no one will really use. She seems to be quite powerful with lots of disjointed hitboxes and really good spacing and space-control and she even has a ranged meteor-attack. And so I guess a lot of people will use her.
It seems that she will be difficult to handle, but I guess more people are in for a challenge than beeing afraid of something like that.

TheGuardian07 said on January 1, 2014 at 12:28 p.m.

I admire what these guys are doing, but everything pointed out in this video was already painfully obvious. Heck, they even missed the Up tilt/Uair. They didn't really need a rewind for this trailer.

PrinceBlast said on January 1, 2014 at 12:35 p.m.

i will main her

flurryous said on January 1, 2014 at 3:44 p.m.

I mained Rosalina in Mario Kart Wii.
I added Rosalina as a character in custom Brawl.
From the day I knew about her, I made it a point to put her on the map in my circle of friends.

Now they're bringing her to NewSmash.

I also played Bowser in every Smash game since Melee (never had N64, don't even know if he was playable, but whatever).

Now they're making him a viable character in NewSmash.

It's like they're making this game specifically for ME. I think Sakurai read my facebook posts about how nothing would make me buy a Wii U and accepted the challenge.

And he even brought my main (Toon Link) back for another run?
I am defeated, Sakurai.