Prepare to be Wao'd as Mago and Naruo pick up Oni - Over 2 hours of Super Street Fighter 4: Arcade Edition v2012 online matches

Posted by MajinTenshinhan
December 20, 2013 at 7:46 a.m. PST

After receiving what would best be described as a severe manhandling in this year's Topanga A League from wao, fellow Topanga Leaguers MCZ|Mago and Naruo have decided to get on the hype train which has only one stop: domination.

After the jump, you'll find over 2 hours of online matches between MCZ|Mago and Naruo, where they train the Oni mirror match.

Below, you'll find 5 parts, each around 25 minutes of length, of Oni mirror matching between MCZ|Mago and Naruo. Enjoy, courtesy of TokidoBlog.

With Oni having been seen as a fairly poor character during the early days of Super Street Fighter 4: Arcade Edition v2012, he's certainly made a massive impact lately, in no small part due to wao's impressive performance in Topanga A League. Any new thoughts on Oni after seeing these videos? Let us know in the comments.

Thanks to Artiskan for sending this in.

Original source: Topanga TV on NicoVideo.

Comments

Syirine said on December 20, 2013 at 7:50 a.m.

It starts, let the bandwagon begin.

Memanruler said on December 20, 2013 at 7:54 a.m.

This year's 8 mains at EVO will go:

Oni
Oni
Oni
Oni
Oni
Oni
Akuma
Oni

TheGodOfPez said on December 20, 2013 at 7:54 a.m.

Oni about to be S Tier in USF4 o_0

perfume said on December 20, 2013 at 7:55 a.m.

I mess with oni from time to time, but I don't think I'll ever main him. Not to confident in my execution with all his fadc combos.

diddykv said on December 20, 2013 at 8:02 a.m.

So air dash
Many bait
Such Demon
Wao

MetalMusicMan said on December 20, 2013 at 8:03 a.m.

Oni is still extremely overhyped because of Wao -- Wao is an AMAZING player but the character is still average at best. In USF4 with the faster Step Kick, better focus attack, and FADC SRK though... he'll be a real threat.

sarif2soon said on December 20, 2013 at 8:08 a.m.

DreamKing really is contagious!

SkiesOfAzel said on December 20, 2013 at 8:22 a.m.

How is Oni average at best? He has some of the best tools for footsies, amazing anti air, crazy damage potential, safe pressure and frame traps with claw, he has good health, he is great in the air, he has projectiles, his 50/50 are very hard to react to and his ultras and super are great.

The main reason he was considered weak was that most people that tried him expected a Gouki clone and got led down. Oni isn't a vortex character, he is more similar to Ken, with better mixups and damage output. Play him right and he already is a real threat. In Ultra he will probably be close to the top.

SHOGUN said on December 20, 2013 at 8:25 a.m.

I've been playing him kind of lame with lots of pokes anyways.

xShonuffx said on December 20, 2013 at 8:26 a.m.

I want to know what the stream monsters is saying in Japanese. Any snippits?

shichi said on December 20, 2013 at 8:27 a.m.

Prepare to be Wao'd... my god the play on words... I've tried Oni back when he was released and he's really fun with a ton of options, but is a bit too execution heavy for me.

Tectondrio said on December 20, 2013 at 8:28 a.m.

All this Oni play... I better get comfortable!

Enjoy watching Oni in action as well as playing him. Always a blast to play as my secondary from Dan.

But enough talk...TO THE MIRROR MATCHES!

deteknician said on December 20, 2013 at 8:32 a.m.

Oni is average at best. I agree and so does 99% of people that play this game.

chaosmage said on December 20, 2013 at 8:45 a.m.

@13: 99% of players aren't on Wao, Mago, or Naruo's level. Majority opinion does not equal fact.

Darklurkr23 said on December 20, 2013 at 8:54 a.m.

I really hope Ultra has worth it trophies so I get to play it long again.

And where is that 5th character! XD

rikal1 said on December 20, 2013 at 8:59 a.m.

I can't lie and I always thought this but wouldn't it be cool if kni could follow up after his upward u1? Givivg a gouken like setup

Smorgasboard said on December 20, 2013 at 9:01 a.m.

They are probably learning Oni so that they would know how to beat him.

JIHADJOE said on December 20, 2013 at 9:11 a.m.

Literally over 99.99999% of the world thought time was absolute and Newtonian gravity was correct in the 1920s... But Einstein begged to differ, and eventually countless experiments proved him right.

Majority opinion does not necessarily mean correctness, which is why we need experimentalist types to take things to the lab and figure out where the truth really lies.

I, for one, appreciate Mago and Naruo taking Oni to the lab and verifying Wao's theories.

SkiesOfAzel said on December 20, 2013 at 9:15 a.m.

99% of the people that play this game also agreed that Fei sucked back in the day.

I am also curious what is considered "average" nowadays.

IMainDanHibiki said on December 20, 2013 at 9:15 a.m.

Majin, please. Please no. Don't let Dreamking get to you Majin. PLEASE. THE PUNS ARE OVERWHELMING

coddog said on December 20, 2013 at 9:15 a.m.

NvhA said on December 20, 2013 at 9:20 a.m.

Dat 1st post was as predictable as Fanatiq getting nemo'd.

mrambitious said on December 20, 2013 at 9:22 a.m.

You got that right.

Kaxner said on December 20, 2013 at 9:40 a.m.

I'm all for rushdown and big combos so I'm definitely jumping on the Oni bandwagon if Seth is destroyed in Ultra.

MajinTenshinhan said on December 20, 2013 at 9:52 a.m.

DevilMaySpy said on December 20, 2013 at 10:45 a.m.

Can we give Sanford some credit? He's been hyping up Oni as Top 10 for the last 4 months, has had some exceptional performances, and people only mention Wao.

cris25 said on December 20, 2013 at 11:04 a.m.

With all his buffs in Ultra, there's no reason to keep the gimmicky Crossup heavy slash. Just EX would be enough as he pays a bar for that.

sintu said on December 20, 2013 at 11:07 a.m.

So... Oni is the new Sagat? We've come full circle then?

Mr2Good said on December 20, 2013 at 11:17 a.m.

Wao is to Oni as Smug is to Dudley. They make the character seem alot better than they are because they are exceptional players.

Kelshou said on December 20, 2013 at 11:33 a.m.

Yep...I would say wao is to Oni what Sako is to Evil Ryu.

BlankasBalls said on December 20, 2013 at 11:53 a.m.

Strawburry said on December 20, 2013 at 12:08 p.m.

Did James Chen help you with the title?

Artiskan said on December 20, 2013 at 12:52 p.m.

I'm surprised that Oni is even getting buffs...and with him being able to FADC his dp on block, people are gonna be all over him when USF4 drops...

H_Magnus said on December 20, 2013 at 1:27 p.m.

I believe you meant "OVERWAOLMING" #Kappa.

SAMURAI said on December 20, 2013 at 1:45 p.m.

Take a look at Oni. He's supposed to be strong. I hope he'll be the top tier character in Ultra, better him than some schoolgirl or a dwarf like Yun.

shoryuken78 said on December 20, 2013 at 1:57 p.m.

shoryuken78 said on December 20, 2013 at 2:06 p.m.

AKH said on December 21, 2013 at 3:33 a.m.

no need to wait for wao or anybody else or some nerf/buf to play oni... he was efficient from day one, now with dp cancelable, faster move, and his power and all the rest... let's go for usf4, it's for him

Arcade said on December 21, 2013 at 3:41 a.m.

Oni was S tier now he is just SS tier, they shouldnt have given him SRK FADC on block;)

AKH said on December 21, 2013 at 3:50 a.m.

right but as a oni player, it's all good

kawaiii said on December 22, 2013 at 9:52 a.m.

it's great to see top players sucking as much as I do

7o70n1 said on December 23, 2013 at 5:13 a.m.

I'm glad oni is getting the buffs he's getting.. HOWEVER, wtf is up with his fadc dp on hit??! Can't ultra into it any more or combo? Almost not worth the fadc on block..