The salty runback: Maximilian's Sabrewulf battles the DreamKing's Thunder in Killer Instinct, pt. 1

Posted by DreamKing23
December 19, 2013 at 5:23 p.m. PST

Two Killer Instinct players walk into a lobby... Okay, fine. So, I don't have some clever line to introduce this, but what I do have for you is an awesome set of matches between Maximilian and myself.

Max and I faced each other a couple of times shortly after the game was released, and the fans seemed to dig those bouts quite a bit, requesting we run a set. So the two of us had the chance to sit down and run through a number of games, and today's video is part one of those matches.

I stuck with my main, Thunder, throughout these fights, and Max begins with Sabrewulf. Wicked reads, hard-hitting combos, and Combo Breakers galore; this set is exactly what you'd expect of a Killer Instinct match up.

I'll quit typing your ear off now; hit the jump to check out the salty runback between Maximilian and DreamKing.

Mentioned by USAtlas.

Comments

USAtlas said on December 19, 2013 at 5:26 p.m.

Good set guys! DK gotta finish your plate. Dropped some combos there.

Dreamking23 said on December 19, 2013 at 5:36 p.m.

Yeah, to be honest, Max surprised me here. He played crazy well in these sets. I've since hit the lab and gotten better, but I still need improvements.

sarif2soon said on December 19, 2013 at 5:40 p.m.

VERY interesting tech using Sadira:

krylis said on December 19, 2013 at 5:48 p.m.

too many counter breakers man

Bloody_hado said on December 19, 2013 at 5:49 p.m.

Good Set.
I've noticed something about Max.
He likes Sadira alot and loves to play with her but everytime he's going to fight someone that he know's is a strong player he always picks Sabrewulf. hmm...

sarif2soon said on December 19, 2013 at 5:50 p.m.

Max using Manuals now?

(lol at "THE" DreamKing)

Darklurkr23 said on December 19, 2013 at 6:11 p.m.

Man all these people do is Counter Breaker stance. Get in there and fight! XD

4HTim said on December 19, 2013 at 7:18 p.m.

how do you feel about the saberwulf vs thunder match up DK?

Enter4none said on December 19, 2013 at 7:42 p.m.

Seems like MAX has trained his eyes heavily and recognizes patterns very fast and the matching reflexes for the combo breakers ~ other than that, he has (that I noticed from here and his video going against Justin Wong) at least two combo sets for Sabrewulf, same mix-ups but both with manuals that make it ever hard to deal with.

@Bloddy_hado: yes, dude likes Sadira (who doesn't? XD) but his wolf is still stronger.

CaptainHowdy said on December 19, 2013 at 8:22 p.m.

Freaking awesome. I can't wait to play this game, I need an Xbox One so badly.

Guile4Life said on December 19, 2013 at 9:06 p.m.

Game looks pretty n sounds awesome other than that it just doesn't do it for me like when I was a teen playing the first one in the arcades.

Strider_Hien said on December 19, 2013 at 9:14 p.m.

You meant "You'll quit",right DK? Get it before the grammar nazis....>_> Love this rivalry! X_X

Sage_Liebert said on December 19, 2013 at 10:13 p.m.

MAN! brings back the good ole Killer Instinct Gold days. After school and the weekends were spent on KIGold for N64. Mained Fulgore and used to mash those combos out like I knew what I was doing.

Darkdragon007 said on December 19, 2013 at 11:59 p.m.

Man Max is good. You can tell how much he loves the game.

Got to admit though after that 1st match he just sat there and ate your Weaties right in front of you.

I got to play you once, but I play over a friend's house, and he doesn't play ranked. Actually held my own for have such a small amount of time with the game (I go over there maybe once a week.).

thepurist said on December 20, 2013 at 1:35 a.m.

Nice set ! I have faced you DreamKing in some ranked matches, GG :)

Gotomaster said on December 20, 2013 at 2:14 a.m.

He'll still stick to Sadir against a good player. H stuck with her against Justin.

MatchFixah said on December 20, 2013 at 4:32 a.m.

I just noticed that wulf slide adds a ton of KV, hence one of the combos was not ended.

Posthuman15 said on December 20, 2013 at 4:55 a.m.

They werent mixing it enough...

Kurow said on December 20, 2013 at 5:21 a.m.

Wow DreamKing23 throwing so many counter breakers but being pretty bad at doing combo breakers. It paid off at least 2 times that he was able to do big damage and take 1 life bar but he got punished way too many times trying to do counter breakers.

Phraudulence said on December 20, 2013 at 9:01 a.m.

It wasn't that max was better than dk . Dream just gave him too much respect for being a decent player he should have figured out what autos max was tryin to break and which ones he reacted faster too because it would isolate the first choice auto that max is iorginally set on looking for but he didn't let the pattern play out.. Just lack of aggression against the most aggressive character in the game = 5 -1

2Dcool said on December 20, 2013 at 1:51 p.m.

DK, you pick very obvious times to throw a counter breaker and Max used them at the more correct time.

I feel like everytime you used a counter breaker, you used it when you NEEDED more damage making it obvious. Max was using them when he was ahead and knew that you needed to break the combo. In my opinion, have more faith in your neutral game and just don't go for them.

Baby_Astaroth said on December 22, 2013 at 10:47 p.m.

Supreme Victory