Players can control both Luma and Rosalina in Super Smash Bros. Wii U / 3DS, Sakurai says she can perform ranged Smash attacks

Posted by Steven 'Dreamking23' Chavez • December 19, 2013 at 9:13 p.m. PST
Yesterday morning, a new Super Smash Bros. Wii U / 3DS character was revealed during the Nintendo Direct conference. Super Mario Galaxy's Rosalina, along with her sidekick Luma, will be joining the fray, and you can check out her reveal trailer here.

Today, Sakurai posted his pic of the day with a small bit of information regarding Rosalina. According to the series creator, players can control both characters in battle, as opposed to Luma being a CPU controlled aid.

Additionally, Sakurai stated that Rosalina is capable of hitting her opponents with ranged Smash attacks. Check out the pic of the day below, followed by Sakurai's quote.

Click image for larger version

Pic of the day. Rosalina and Luma can be right by each other or set farther apart. They're both controlled by the player, so a smash attack can be done from far off. Remote control all the way!

Source: The official Super Smash Bros. website, and Miiverse. Mentioned by MugenLord.

Comments

LordProsper said on December 19, 2013 at 9:19 p.m.

So she IS like Carl Clover.

That's... a surprisingly technical playstyle for Smash.

jme said on December 19, 2013 at 9:23 p.m.

Sounds like what Ice climbers what shoulda been.

KCereal said on December 19, 2013 at 9:39 p.m.

ZA WARUDO

takeo007 said on December 19, 2013 at 9:41 p.m.

full screen edge guarding!?

Scourge739 said on December 19, 2013 at 9:46 p.m.

sounds difficult

i like it

Gurpwnder said on December 19, 2013 at 9:53 p.m.

LOL Viola's in Smash?

HiryuMK said on December 19, 2013 at 10:20 p.m.

Can someone explain me what is a ''Puppeteer'' gameplay style? When I watched the video, its look like the Ice Climbers' fighting style but someone said she is more of a ''Puppeteer''.

SpadeHand said on December 19, 2013 at 10:42 p.m.

Man I hope she replaces the Ice Climbers.

MarthFE said on December 19, 2013 at 11:12 p.m.

Puppeteer basically means you control 2 characters at once like carl clover from blazblue, eddie/zappa from guilty gear, shadow labrys from persona 4 arena, lieselotte from arcana heart etc

Im hype to finally have one of the in smash since in most cases this is the type of character i prefer to main, and to boot its rosalina, my favourite nintendo female. Woo..

I hope ice climbers stay, theyre a style of their own and they do have fans so itd seem unfair to have them out. That and i dont want everyone jumping ship to rosalina. I kinda down she'll have luma chaingrab bs though.

Hrm said on December 19, 2013 at 11:18 p.m.

Conceptually, Rosalina and the Ice Climbers are entirely different.
Rosalina is built around controlling your Luma remotely to attack and set up combo opportunities. The Ice Climbers, on the other hand, are built around the added functionality you get when they attack in unison: added damage, additional hits, extended combo ability, etc. While de-synchronizing the Ice Climbers is a powerful tactic, it's not entirely necessary to their playstyle, and in fact is a risky move in and of itself! De-synchronized Ice Climbers lose access to their best recovery options, as well as hitting significantly less hard while solo.
It's entirely possible to be a competent Ice Climbers player without using their advanced de-synchronization tactics.

jme said on December 20, 2013 at 12:03 a.m.

Carl from Blazblue.

Or the whole persona thing in Persona 4 arena

Ninjanuity said on December 20, 2013 at 1:19 a.m.

Smash version of Eddie/Carl? Top 5 material.

Lemres said on December 20, 2013 at 2:04 a.m.

I still have many questions as to how this will work. I guess I need to see more of her in action. So wouldn't Luma be a sitting duck if she's fighting with her attacks? If the opponent manages to knock Rosalina far enough, then Luma is the next target. I guess this goes to my next question. Can Rosalina summon Luma in-game like Olimar with his pikmin? I thought Luma was another Nana and disappears completely until a ko. And if Luma is already on-screen and far away from Rosalina, can you summon Luma to anywhere that Rosalina is? I really need to see more videos of her. That trailer did not do justice for me lol.

ChipsLight said on December 20, 2013 at 2:53 a.m.

Sounds more like Eddie than Carl Clover.

nightoX said on December 20, 2013 at 5:30 a.m.

So Rosalina is a JoJo?
Best Character.

NyuBomber said on December 20, 2013 at 5:35 a.m.

Love it, bring on the Smash!

Ing_Goodface said on December 20, 2013 at 5:57 a.m.

All this talk about Carl and Ice Climbers and no mention of Devo? Guys, I'm embarrassed. The guy has a literal puppet.

mrambitious said on December 20, 2013 at 9:25 a.m.

A carl in this game sounds cool, but if the star can die i think it might be difficult to effectively use. I like the Relius Clover / Ice Climbers style better

ryuhayabusa13 said on December 20, 2013 at 9:45 a.m.

Yup. That's pretty much Her "Stand"

riku45 said on December 20, 2013 at 10:51 a.m.

Similar to kankuro from Naruto

MarthFE said on December 20, 2013 at 11:09 a.m.

Yeesh, so much "top tier" and "top 5", calm down, the game isn't even half done. Just because Eddie has always been top tier doesn't mean all puppet characters are, and this is a completely different style of fighting game where it might not work out as well as planned or it could be exceptional and cheap, no way to label it yet though.. She doesn't look like she hits too hard and look at the past couple tier lists, they're usually all the same types of characters, fast, hard hitters, above average grabs. Only reason ice climbers have ever had the chance to be high is chaingrabs.

Also, if the puppet can die that makes her more like Carl than Eddie... Just sayin

Neoxon said on December 20, 2013 at 11:40 a.m.

Sounds more like Carl Clover than a Stand or a Persona.

Neoxon said on December 20, 2013 at 11:41 a.m.

If Sakurai wanted to get rid of the Ice Climbers, he would have done so in Brawl. Plus, whatever issues he was having with the 3DS version seem to have been resolved with the reveal of Rosalina & Luma.

The odds are pretty decent that the Ice Climbers will return.

Ninjanuity said on December 20, 2013 at 1:51 p.m.

Relax buddy. It was in jest.

What makes a character top tier in Smash games vary from game to game because the physics differ from game-to-game on top of the character changes. You can't make a generalized rule about what makes a character good in Smash in general. Falcon is high tier in 64 and Melee, but bottom tier in Brawl, as his speed isn't really benefit him much in that game as it does in the past games.

Little Eddie can die if it gets hit once. Zato/Eddie was the precursor of the puppet character, so he gets more credit than Carl in my book.

KB said on December 20, 2013 at 7:29 p.m.

@22 ALL ABOARD THE HYPE TRAIN ROSALINA CONFIRMED FOR META KNIGHT TIER PLEASE NERF NINTENDO

MarthFE said on December 21, 2013 at 3:16 a.m.

I figured, I wasn't pissed off or anything, that'd be dumb... I just tend to explain too much when I type, wasn't supposed to come off as a rant.

I know, I never once said any specific character names were always best, but rather properties and types of characters. Smash is probably the only fighter I got so into I knew literally everything about it, just Canada lacked a competitive scene (especially near me) and I wasn't able to get to bigger tournies when it mattered. Most fighters I can sit back and agree because my knowledge is lesser and i usually dont know everything else beyond my characters aside from what i need to know, but smash is "my thing"... No I don't mean I'm a pro, and I don't mean I'm never wrong. However id say i am/was amazing and definitely knew my stuff, it's that thing I had a passion for. for example falco in melee and even brawl is very similar to fox in 64 etc, most of the best characters in each game had similar qualities.

And I don't know cause clearly I haven't played the new smash yet but Rosalina looks like she will probably have a rough time with fast characters since shell probably be pressured easily and she doesn't seem to hit hard in most cases outside some luma moves. But well see when the time comes. Even if she is top tier... Given her probable difficult learning curve she won't be used by many or hit the top for a long time.

Oh well, wouldn't be the first time that happened. But yeah zato/Eddie was the first (I'd still count Zappa as well technically), followed by d'bo I think... To each their own, I won't argue over preferences, I respect it. For me Carl pulls it off better and closer to perfection, an upside to being newer and up to date. Maybe the new gg will change that though. I just thankful for the existence of such unique and fun characters, the puppeteers.

Unless she's absolutely busted, she won't be as popular when the game is out after all the reveals. Just how it usually goes... Maybe they learned something from metaknight too (and patching is possible now)

Combo_Knight said on December 21, 2013 at 4:59 p.m.

Not daisy no care.

PurplePonyJotaro said on December 24, 2013 at 5:48 p.m.

Reminds me a bit of Eddie. The could be good or bad. Let's hope she is not as complex, but still offers plenty. I am confident she will be a joy to play as.