Stars flying, dress-clad backflips and planet-kissing - Screenshots and art for Rosalina, Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS' latest newcomer

Posted by Nicholas 'MajinTenshinhan' Taylor • December 18, 2013 at 7:25 a.m. PST

With the reveal of a new character, we always get a bunch of screenshots uploaded to the official Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS homepage, and the same is true this time. Not only that, but we've also got a beautiful piece of official art for our latest newcomer.

Hit the jump to check out several screenshots from the Wii U version, a shot from the 3DS version, and some official art for Rosalina and Luma.

First, here's the official art for Rosalina, showing her flying through the starts together with old comrade Mario, as well as new comrades Star Fox and ... Wii Fit Trainer? Now that's a party I'd like to play through an RPG with.

Next, here are Rosalina and Luma, in their official character art for the game. Judging from early impressions, they sure seem like they'd make a good team!

And below is a full gallery of Wii U shots, and one 3DS shot, of Rosalina and her partner in crime battling it out together.

Click images for larger versions

Source: Official Super Smash Bros. Website.

How do you feel about the Rosalina & Luma announcement? Let us know in the comments.

Comments

JiFoJoka said on December 18, 2013 at 7:24 a.m.

I'm surprised that they added another Mario character. The playstyle looks interesting, controlling both characters separately (I'm guessing through special/B moves).

I assume Ice Climbers are replaced by these two, unless there are more duo-characters.

GodotLaserFace said on December 18, 2013 at 7:27 a.m.

YEEEEEES!!

osirris33 said on December 18, 2013 at 7:31 a.m.

VICTORY!!!! I might buy a Wii U just for Rosalina.

AlphaJ4769 said on December 18, 2013 at 7:38 a.m.

This is a very interesting choice for Smash Bros. There's a Trailer for the character and she looks like a more technical version of theIce Climbers. Can't wait to see how her combos work.

samuraix025 said on December 18, 2013 at 7:40 a.m.

WEEGEE needs to get on that, Mario can't have all the ladies

dezeray112 said on December 18, 2013 at 7:41 a.m.

That was an awesome reveal trailer! So will all newcomer characters have reveal trailers just like Rosalina, Wii Fit Trainer etc?

Ninjanuity said on December 18, 2013 at 7:49 a.m.

The Ice Climbers are shoe-in, along with any other Melee character that returned in Brawl.

SeriphAngel said on December 18, 2013 at 7:49 a.m.

Cool I got my wish for Rosalina. Now I just need Zelda to see which magical girl truly is number one!!!

ZeDudd said on December 18, 2013 at 7:51 a.m.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWW YYYYYYYEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!

Marthmario said on December 18, 2013 at 8:05 a.m.

AND I SAID HEAAAYEAYEAYEAYEYAYEAEYAAYE!!!

MARTHMARIO CONFIRMED TO MAIN ROSALINA!!!

JesseRobles said on December 18, 2013 at 8:11 a.m.

Peach, Zelda and now ROSALINA. They are all I need in this game for me to throw my money at Nintendo. <3

Deceptimike said on December 18, 2013 at 8:17 a.m.

Like I said in the other story, I'm thrilled that she's in.

Her playstyle looks incredibly unique and fun, plus she's the perfect representative for the Galaxy series. Not to mention she's my favorite character from the Mario universe. I can't wait to play her.

Hrm said on December 18, 2013 at 8:22 a.m.

Why would people think Rosalina would replace the Ice Climbers? The ice climbers don't play anything like her.

Kijui said on December 18, 2013 at 8:28 a.m.

No f***ing way! Where's the Dedede?!

PrinceBlast said on December 18, 2013 at 8:33 a.m.

looks mad interesting i think i'll main her

Silver_ArrowSan said on December 18, 2013 at 8:43 a.m.

*waits for Waluigi(and Captain Falcon) announcement*

courte said on December 18, 2013 at 9:02 a.m.

hmmm no lyndis? no hector?ill just do some yoga

poor daisy

MCZ_Ryu said on December 18, 2013 at 9:22 a.m.

Character design looks awesome!

ViewtifulAlAstor said on December 18, 2013 at 9:32 a.m.

More Women in smash, not a single complaint was given. Now.....just add Crystal and i am certain this shall be the best Smash (::)

Super_Shoto_Fighter_4 said on December 18, 2013 at 9:34 a.m.

This will be one of my main fighters and my first Smash Brothers game. Looking forward to this.

Wardog said on December 18, 2013 at 9:36 a.m.

I just thought about something... are there any evil female villain in the Nintendo world? I can only think of just male villains.

chipndip said on December 18, 2013 at 9:59 a.m.

Nope...

Just want a confirm for Yoshi on my end. If he's not announced by the time Yoshi's Yarn comes out, or Yoshi's New Island, I'll be concerned. =/

Also, anyone notice that was Kirby Air Ride music playing? I'm not gonna lie...I would hop on a sequel to Air Ride. The game was simple, but it was simply fun.

ZeDudd said on December 18, 2013 at 10:04 a.m.

Medusa form Kid Icarus.
-And she's a pretty hot & badass one too!

H_Magnus said on December 18, 2013 at 10:04 a.m.

Does Captain Syrup count as a villain?

ZeDudd said on December 18, 2013 at 10:06 a.m.

She was the main antagonist in Wairo Land 1, so yupp.

ChipsLight said on December 18, 2013 at 10:07 a.m.

I like the Eddie style of the character.

suicidali said on December 18, 2013 at 10:13 a.m.

While it's cool that we've got another new female, and a stand/puppet character no less, did we really need another Mario character? That's 5 now, 6 if you want to include Yoshi, who I'm certain will make it in.

Maybe I'm just salty because I'm holding out hope for Krystal.

Ett said on December 18, 2013 at 10:23 a.m.

I think she plays like Viola from Soulcalibur V.

manboy said on December 18, 2013 at 10:48 a.m.

Nintendo wants this game to be a giant ad. Nearly every character so far has been a cross-promotion device, either promoting a current game or an upcoming one. I have a feeling that we are not going to get a single retro-revival character (other than Megaman). The game is already being held back by the limitations of its little brother handheld version. I guess Rosalina is cool. I would like to see Little Mac or Ridley or Takamaru - anyone pre-1990, though at this point I'd be surprised if we get any one of those.

yamas11 said on December 18, 2013 at 11:21 a.m.

Her boobs look bigger.

Marthmario said on December 18, 2013 at 11:22 a.m.

You shall regret nothing.

Marthmario said on December 18, 2013 at 11:24 a.m.

Funny, most people think Mac is pretty likely! Ridley is a mystery as always and I actually want Takamaru. :3

hazelnut1112 said on December 18, 2013 at 11:46 a.m.

To think we were going to get Kirby playable in Mario Kart 8. Sakurai sure knows how to start these videos.

Batmang said on December 18, 2013 at 11:48 a.m.

An odd magical character with a unique moveset, interesting tricks and control over space? Sounds like my kind of character! :)

Also I agree that It sucks how many reps Mario has compared to the other game series, but Super Mario Galaxy is a fantastic game. One of, if not the best Mario games in recent times. Not to mention that Rosalina is actually a cool character with actual depth, which isn't a common thing in Mario games. So I think Nintendo made a great choice here.

CrazyC0mb0 said on December 18, 2013 at 12:05 p.m.

YES OH MAN that was the first thing I thought of. Puppet characters man. Just what this series needed.

MarthFE said on December 18, 2013 at 12:44 p.m.

Eddie? Nope, zappa

Marthmario said on December 18, 2013 at 1:15 p.m.

WHY ARE BOOBS ALWAYS MENTIONED?!?!?!?

TheTHCGamer said on December 18, 2013 at 1:23 p.m.

Cant wait lets get an official release date Nintendo so I know when I have to be ready to buy a Wii U or better yet lets release a Wii U smash bros bundle.

Syirine said on December 18, 2013 at 1:35 p.m.

You just had to be the one.....

roknin said on December 18, 2013 at 1:56 p.m.

Captain Syrup (http://www.mariowiki.com/Captain_Syrup)
Drawcia (http://kirby.wikia.com/wiki/Drawcia)
Kotake and Koume / Twinrova (http://zeldawiki.org/Twinrova)

Off the top of my head. Probably more but they get more obscure after that.

chipndip said on December 18, 2013 at 2:58 p.m.

Yoshi doesn't represent Mario in the SSB games. He represents his own franchise.

RunnersKnee said on December 18, 2013 at 3:01 p.m.

When I see the screenshots I can't help but forget the fact that Namco Bandai helps develop this game too!
Wonder if everything is intact or if there will be a some sort of twist added on the game mechanic.
Here's to seeing someone from Namco make it in the roster!

Wardog said on December 18, 2013 at 3:01 p.m.

@ 22,23,24 & 40

Thanks for the reply. They need to make a new modern female villain for the newer era.

I totally forgot about Kotake and Koume / Twiabout.lol
And I'm a big Zelda fan boy.lol thanks again

Wardog said on December 18, 2013 at 3:05 p.m.

I think harada said he won't put anybody from the namco side, in the game... So Heihachi, Pacman or Lloyd (from tales series) won't be in the game. Which is sad, but understandable.

Scourge739 said on December 18, 2013 at 3:58 p.m.

i could have sworn that harada said that he wouldn't put any tekken characters in? and sakurai said that he wouldn't put any fighting game characters in. so i think pac-man is a shoe-in.
(we don't count his SFxT character. . .)

LordProsper said on December 18, 2013 at 4:20 p.m.

I'm really surprised at Rosalina's apparently playstyle, it seems pretty technical. Smash Bros. usually goes out of it's way to NOT be technical.

Wardog said on December 18, 2013 at 4:22 p.m.

You're right. I just look it up and he was talking about the Tekken characters... so there might be a little hope for Pac man, but knowing sakurai, he'll just probably make up an excuse about pac man can't come in the game.

Lately I wonder about that guy sometimes, especially on the decisions he had made on this game so far.

suicidali said on December 18, 2013 at 4:27 p.m.

I know, that's why I said "if you want to include Yoshi", because Yoshi first appeared in a Mario game.
It's kinda funny if you think about it. Luigi doesn't represent Luigi's Mansion, does he?

Neoxon said on December 18, 2013 at 5:39 p.m.

Little Mac is almost guaranteed (& was supposedly leaked around the same time as Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Mega Man, Mii, & Pac-Man before E3 2013), Ridley's chances are a bit on the small side (he'll probably be a boss fight, again), & I'm 50/50 on Takumaru's chances (he could get in, but he isn't as likely as Little Mac or Chrom).

Neoxon said on December 18, 2013 at 5:40 p.m.

It's most likely Pac-Man.

MugenLord said on December 18, 2013 at 5:40 p.m.

The Veterans from the Original Nintendo 64 is coming back. Yoshi is not going anywhere nor is Captain Falcon or Ness.

Owlflame said on December 18, 2013 at 6:50 p.m.

Smash is getting closer and closer to a fighting game with each character.

Lainensis said on December 18, 2013 at 9:27 p.m.

Dat Kirby and Luma friendship.

Hnng.

Lemres said on December 18, 2013 at 10:14 p.m.

You sure about that? I'm still worried about Yoshi, Wario, Ness, etc.

Sunforged_One said on December 19, 2013 at 5:12 a.m.

I think there is no need to be worried. I guess... or I'm even sure that all characters of the first smash will return.

But I am also quite sure that there will be characters we will not see again. Speaking of the Brawl-roster I think Lucas, Ike ( :( ) and Lucario will not be in Smash 4.
Maybe Snake and the PKMN-Trainer aren't either.

Silver_ArrowSan said on December 19, 2013 at 9:02 a.m.

I'm only skeptical about Jigglypuff, as they considered to not put her in Brawl at some point.

guille_n_roll said on December 19, 2013 at 2:05 p.m.

Now we have 4 blond girls in the game, LOL
her gameplay is like a combination of ice climbers + zelda, it's a kind of interesting...

megamanlance said on December 20, 2013 at 5:09 p.m.

:3 ♥_♥