Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS newcomer announced - Rosalina and Luma join the battle

Posted by Nicholas 'MajinTenshinhan' Taylor • December 18, 2013 at 6:40 a.m. PST

After a drought of new playable characters lasting since E3 earlier this year, Nintendo finally decided to share another newcomer with us, and look no further — it's Rosalina, who originated in Super Mario Galaxy, together with her trusty Luma sidekick.

This was announced today in a Nintendo Direct aimed at releases set for next year, and with Super Smash Bros. set for 2014, they decided to throw us a surprise character. If you're wondering about "surprise", check the trailer to see what I mean.

Hit the jump for the video.

Video courtesy of GameXplain.

Thanks to Deceptimike and an anonymous tipster for sending this in.

Comments

Neoxon said on December 18, 2013 at 6:42 a.m.

Her reveal was the biggest hype roller coaster of the Direct.

Doopliss said on December 18, 2013 at 6:43 a.m.

They way she controls the Luma makes her look like a JJBA character.

YoYoCheese said on December 18, 2013 at 6:46 a.m.

I can't believe that this is actually happening!

Day 1 main baby!!!!!!!

Dodoria said on December 18, 2013 at 6:48 a.m.

I stopped playing nintendo games since n64, who is she? lol

Deceptimike said on December 18, 2013 at 6:50 a.m.

Her and Shulk were the only characters I was adamant about adding into the game, so I was ecstatic when I saw the trailer. Her gameplay looks as exciting and unique as I had hoped. I can't wait to use her!

dezeray112 said on December 18, 2013 at 6:50 a.m.

Loved the reveal trailer.

SirRetro08 said on December 18, 2013 at 6:50 a.m.

Not that surprised, but cool. I'm looking forward to new additions from other franchises though.

Kira_Timmy said on December 18, 2013 at 6:57 a.m.

She looks like a freaking cool character to play with. Hard to choose main character. Now Diddy kong reveal PLEAAAASE!

Virtua_Kazama said on December 18, 2013 at 7 a.m.

Rosalina came from Super Mario Galaxy. She is the overseer of the Lumas.

JakePeskin said on December 18, 2013 at 7:02 a.m.

Diddy'll probably be announced in February in conjunction with the release of Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze.

But Rosalina, she looks like she has an ice climber thing going for her, which should be interesting.

swordsman09 said on December 18, 2013 at 7:13 a.m.

She plays like Carl from Blazblue. That's cool I guess.

AdamBomb said on December 18, 2013 at 7:13 a.m.

Not really someone I was asking for but her playstyle seems truly unique! Playing her should be fun

Ninjanuity said on December 18, 2013 at 7:15 a.m.

Looks like a nice puppet character. When I saw it on the direct, I thought it was a new Kirby Air Ride. Maybe next time....

Kira_Timmy said on December 18, 2013 at 7:16 a.m.

yeah, Guess that makes sense.
As long as he will be released. WiiU and Smash will be instant buy.

Rockaphin said on December 18, 2013 at 7:35 a.m.

Interesting character definitely my second main character so far, hopefully Luma cannot grab. I don't want to see another Ice-Climber 0-DEATH chain grab!

perfume said on December 18, 2013 at 7:41 a.m.

Kijui said on December 18, 2013 at 8:39 a.m.

Good thing we don't use items, right y'all? Right?

She reminds me of Zelda, except a lot more... involved concerning other characters' attacks...

ROSALINA SEEMS OP... I feel her advanced techniques will definitely be execution heavy. I have a feeling playing against her with her Luma will be terribly annoying

She looked serious as all hell when her eye glimmered. She was like, "Get ready, b***h!"

HiryuMK said on December 18, 2013 at 8:48 a.m.

Doesn't her gameplay look like the Ice Climbers'?

ProjectAngel said on December 18, 2013 at 8:59 a.m.

No. Her playstyle seems to be more of a 'puppetmaster' style.

courte said on December 18, 2013 at 9:08 a.m.

those starfy diss feels though
who else bought kirby air ride?
her playstyle looks interesting, glad they're expanding in such a direction. last character i thought they'd do so with. my money was on a kong duo

courte said on December 18, 2013 at 9:11 a.m.

a drought would imply new character announcements for smash are par for the course any time but you're kinda right

Ermapume said on December 18, 2013 at 9:21 a.m.

This was a pleasant surprise.

EnsignHiro said on December 18, 2013 at 9:46 a.m.

nice! finally someone new! keep it up eventhubs and tippers!

SmokeRulz said on December 18, 2013 at 9:47 a.m.

She looks INCREDIBLE.

StriderHiryu said on December 18, 2013 at 9:57 a.m.

So many good characters! I'm looking forward to this game each day!

I like the whole playstyle and she is definitely a character I wanted to appear in Smash. Now, the question becomes...will Shulk make it in as well? Come on, Nintendo...

blazebwoy said on December 18, 2013 at 10:01 a.m.

an excellent addition, just hope ice climbers are still in there, awesome trailer

spambot said on December 18, 2013 at 10:18 a.m.

all my boners

Kenshiro said on December 18, 2013 at 10:28 a.m.

She's seriously so adorable I don't see how anybody would be able to play the game without getting a toothache.

Sunforged_One said on December 18, 2013 at 10:39 a.m.

Very interesting!
I like her.

I wonder how the Luma is controlled. But at 2.08 it seems like it is a combination of special moves and normal moves. At 1.41 it looks like that, too.
It seems like she has to summon it - or is it her battle-intro-animation? - wait: I guess not, because it can have different colors and it seem to be able to "die".

But she seems to have some good abilities:
a Meteor-attack, a projectile, a projectile that can fire more projectiles a multi-hitting air-attack, maybe even her recovery is good.

Defenetly going to test her :D

Her special moves seem to be:
Up-B: diagonal super jump
Down-B: magic whirlwind.
neutral-B: summon Luma. If there is a Luma it will fire projectiles instead.
side-B: Luma-drill-attack.

PrinceBlast said on December 18, 2013 at 10:54 a.m.

boswer and her i want to main

Medikor said on December 18, 2013 at 12:09 p.m.

At about 1:53 in the trailer, is that a Punch Out! stage? Could Little Mac or King Hippo be future reveals? So excited!

I love me some Rosalina, so this was a great treat. :)

MarthFE said on December 18, 2013 at 12:35 p.m.

My favourite female Nintendo character being a "puppet" character? This is clearly the best day ever. Marth and Rosalina, mains til the end.
She won't be like ice climbers at all. They're synchronized until you desync them and have the same moves... It'll be a first for smash having a legit puppet, seems shell be more of a Carl clover, Zappa, etc. I smell a high learning curve, no problem for me ;)

But people who are saying she's op and annoying to fight 5 second after seeing a 2 min trailer that shows a display of her moves and nothing more need to evaluate their sense of balance on games. I'm sure a trailer of link would look annoying.... Or Roy who had a moveset similar to Marth, and both characters were horrible.

It's really all about numbers and properties... Not the appearance of the move. Snake's uptilt ring a bell? Move looks bad but was actually way too good.

Thrashballer said on December 18, 2013 at 1:05 p.m.

A nice addition, but I'm still hoping for Waluigi and Little Mac.

DMG2039 said on December 18, 2013 at 1:22 p.m.

I am so excited to See Rosalina I wanted her sense Brawl shes now added to the Smash Girls (Now for Zelda and ZZ Samus and I'll have all my mains (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

ShadowGeno said on December 18, 2013 at 1:54 p.m.

Smash is never short of good ideas, she seems like a nice hybrid of Ice Climbers, Peach and her own unique character.

KaboomKid said on December 18, 2013 at 2:11 p.m.

Not sure how I feel about her to be honest. Her gameplay looks cool, but I hate to think that she might be snatching a slot from another character on her level, like Syrup/Mona/Tetra/Dixie/Midna/etc. Some of the attacks and animations shown might have been a good fit for Lip as well.

Oh well, at least it's a new character. We'll see what comes next.

HushoftheWind said on December 18, 2013 at 3:17 p.m.

Man, i hate to be one of those people who shout "TOP TIER," but i wouldnt be surprise if you she wound up being one the best characters in the game as far as 1v1 goes

Scourge739 said on December 18, 2013 at 3:41 p.m.

idk, it seems like she relies HEAVILY on luma, and if she has her far away while someone is pressuring her it seems like that could be a problem for her.
we'll just have to wait and see when the game comes out.

AugustAPC said on December 18, 2013 at 4:32 p.m.

I expected this. She's one of the very few legitimate new characters from Nintendo franchises in the past decade. Nintendo really needs to step sh*t up when it comes to new IPs.

Neoxon said on December 18, 2013 at 5:41 p.m.

The Wonderful 101 says hi.

Neoxon said on December 18, 2013 at 5:43 p.m.

Waluigi's chances died with Rosalina's confirmation.

As for Little Mac, I wouldn't worry too much about him. He's a safe bet.

Vone said on December 18, 2013 at 8:51 p.m.

Marth? You're not saying Marth is bad right because Marth has always been really good.

MaysTheCraze said on December 18, 2013 at 10:12 p.m.

HYPE! This is so hype! I was hoping Rosalina would make it into Smash Bros. (well, officially anyway)! About time they announced another character.

PurplePonyJotaro said on December 18, 2013 at 11:45 p.m.

How lovely!

ShadowGeno said on December 19, 2013 at 4:19 a.m.

I´m with ya! Wanted to see her added along with Shulk too and possibly Isaac from Golden Sun if it´s not too much trouble.

MarthFE said on December 19, 2013 at 12:01 p.m.

I know, i was referring to link and roy, i just worded it incorrectly. Which also goes to show, marth is a good character and seeing roy at first glance people might assume the same. All i was saying is dont judge a book by its cover, everything is never as it seems (though brawl marth is overrated)

megamanlance said on December 20, 2013 at 5:11 p.m.

♥♥♥♥♥♥ In love.... :3