Posted by Jonathan 'Catalyst' Grey • December 17, 2013 at 8:05 p.m. PST
Skullgirls Encore re-release incoming January 2014, details on what fans of all versions should expect On December 31, 2013, Skullgirls will temporarily be removed from the PlayStation Network and Xbox Live stores, but it will be reborn shortly thereafter as Skullgirls Encore to mark the era where it was completely funded by their highly successful Indiegogo campaign.

The expected transition to Encore is expected to happen sometime in January 2014.

If you have Skullgirls on PSN, XBL, or Steam the official Lab Zero website has a full breakdown of what you should expect as this transition occurs.

If you'd like to see Encore in action, you're in luck as there's a stream archive of a session with this version available after the jump.

Stream archive from EightySixed. Submitted by KhaosMuffins, AngryAssassin, HooliganComboFTW and Rue.

Comments

Gotomaster said on December 17, 2013 at 8:08 p.m.

Don't play Skullgirls, but I feel happy for the fans. The name is also quite appropriate.

RyuGoomba said on December 17, 2013 at 8:09 p.m.

SKULLGIRLS SHALL LIVE ON!

Taizuku said on December 17, 2013 at 8:10 p.m.

All for it. I need to get back to this game. A lot of people are scared off from the art style and the fact that it's harder than most fighting games this gen. People should give it a shot.

maxs2d2ace said on December 17, 2013 at 8:14 p.m.

well we finally get the new characters.

TheTHCGamer said on December 17, 2013 at 8:15 p.m.

Cool cant wait to start getting into SG all over again.

jme said on December 17, 2013 at 8:19 p.m.

Didn't know this was on ps4

ryuhayabusa13 said on December 17, 2013 at 8:32 p.m.

Glad to hear Go skullgirls team!

OhYouDontSayThat said on December 17, 2013 at 8:35 p.m.

skullgirls, clinging to this realm via bloody fingernails.

Sage_Liebert said on December 17, 2013 at 8:38 p.m.

December 31 2013
skullgirls temporarily removed from xboxlive/psn

January 10th 2014
Skullgirls and sony at odds again? Skullgirls not to be on xboxlive/psn...

Enter4none said on December 17, 2013 at 8:43 p.m.

Finally! concrete signs of life with a date for consoles... here's to consistency and equal possibilities for the whole SG fanbase

Ninjagoon said on December 17, 2013 at 9:02 p.m.

I think this song is appropriate:

TagAnarchy said on December 17, 2013 at 9:08 p.m.

Never tried skullgirls yet, but i think i'll be giving encore a try. Hell, for all the money i've put into having skullgirls available for others, it's kinda silly that I haven't tried it myself yet. o.o

sagejonathan said on December 17, 2013 at 9:12 p.m.

So I can get Skullgirls free for PS4 0.0 Life is good.

FightDirty said on December 17, 2013 at 9:19 p.m.

So this is sort of like Skull Girls 2, sounds cool. I was playing SG earlier today and thinking how consoles will never see an update. Glad to hear that's probably not the case.

Snow said on December 17, 2013 at 9:30 p.m.

00:06:30 is when you see the new title screen ("encore" being at a slightly different angle and color than the rest of the title type is going to drive me mad).

00:09:10 is when you can actually start to here Mike talk.

Even though I've migrated from my 360 to Steam more or less, it's great to see all they're doing for the console folks.

AngryAssassin said on December 17, 2013 at 9:53 p.m.

I'm really happy that they worked this out, but I had the utmost faith that they would. The Skullgirls team has done a lot for us fans.

HooliganComboFTW said on December 17, 2013 at 9:54 p.m.

Stand up and be strong LZ

ArturoA9790 said on December 17, 2013 at 10:14 p.m.

This is great news. This game hasn't even peaked yet, hopefully once it gets all it's DLC it will get the recognition it deserves.

Teinted_Gene said on December 17, 2013 at 10:46 p.m.

I just got into SG a few days ago when I heard about the "delisting" from PSN. Now I can get Encore and free DLC.....!?

Life is indeed good.

Mike_Z said on December 17, 2013 at 11:56 p.m.

...er...not PS4. PS3 again.

spambot said on December 18, 2013 at 12:34 a.m.

Thanks to the combo nerfs skullgirls is probably the most easy fighting game to get into

BlackRain said on December 18, 2013 at 1:06 a.m.

Skullgirls forever. Can’t wait for Big Band to be finished, hitting the training mode with him every day since he got introduced in the beta, such an awesome character. And then there’s Eliza, Beowulf, Robo-Fortune... god I can’t wait for all the greatness.

Snow said on December 18, 2013 at 1:11 a.m.

Ya It's going to be really hard for me to decide on a team once all the characters are out. So much ground I want to cover and each new character down the pipe sounds and looks cooler to me than the last it seems.
Then again I just might have problems with committal.

Mecha_G said on December 18, 2013 at 2:57 a.m.

They actually called it Encore.

Carls493 said on December 18, 2013 at 3:13 a.m.

Their dedication is amazing.

AttorneyMayCry said on December 18, 2013 at 4:02 a.m.

"At the time of the transition we will be phasing out the individual character color packs and will only be offering the character color bundle moving forward"

Did the individual packs have anything that wasn't in the bundle pack?

Kawalorn said on December 18, 2013 at 4:28 a.m.

Actually it's even opposite. Buying the whole bundle (or gathering all the single character packs) will give you one additional color for everyone. Win-win.

rie_dude said on December 18, 2013 at 4:51 a.m.

LZ have been through a lot and even through it all they've always been there for the fans. Will be switching to encore myself.

Shajita said on December 18, 2013 at 5:05 a.m.

Lol, just submitted this news. Maybe I should try growing eyes for once.

PaulR said on December 18, 2013 at 7:54 a.m.

Yo shoutout to MikeZ and the Lab Zero team. They are constantly updating the game on Steam, never seen so much dedication for a fighting game before.

JohnSweirlz said on December 18, 2013 at 12:11 p.m.

Yes!!! Now all i am waiting for is the release of Big Band.

Dimensional said on December 19, 2013 at 1:34 p.m.

I just want Eliza to be finished so I can finally have mah 3 person team.

PrinceBlast said on December 19, 2013 at 6:36 p.m.

go forth...

MLPFede said on December 20, 2013 at 6:18 p.m.

MLPFede said on December 20, 2013 at 6:18 p.m.

PurplePonyJotaro said on December 23, 2013 at 1:14 p.m.

Thank you.

LarsMasters said on December 24, 2013 at 7:54 a.m.

I was hoping to be able to switch between English & Japanese voice. Because it is also released in JP & the UNiB (Under Night In-Birth) developers interest in including Skullgirls' character (Fillia maybe) as the guest

LESN101 said on March 25, 2014 at 7:42 p.m.

Get on it!