Posted by DreamKing23
December 17, 2013 at 11:34 a.m. PST
Justin Wong: I used to put a token on every machine in the arcade growing up, that's why I can juggle games very easily - Wong talks NEC victories The folks over at Major League Gaming were able to catch up with Justin Wong, of Evil Geniuses, to discuss some of his recent activity.

Coming off of his numerous wins at NEC 14, Justin talks about the highlights of the event, the exhibition matches with EMP|Sanford Kelly, and more.

If you missed the event, you may not have heard that Justin took home first place victories in Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition v2012, Street Fighter X Tekken, and Killer Instinct. In this interview he sheds a bit of light on how he is able to jump from game to game, and achieve such success.

Recalling the time when he was growing up and grinding out games at the China Town Fair arcade in New York, Justin says that he used to drop a token down on every fighting game cabinet they had running. He did this for many years, and this is what led him to being fluent in multiple titles.

Hit the jump to check out the video interview.

Teaser source: Karaface. Tip sent in by lavar629.

Comments

Shajita said on December 17, 2013 at 11:54 a.m.

...Drop a token down in every machine? Isn't that just the same as saying he played every game as a kid?

rlt4life said on December 17, 2013 at 11:57 a.m.

Not really. You don't actually have to go to arcades to play games.

SteLoMacK said on December 17, 2013 at 11:59 a.m.

Can't wait to see how well he does in Ultra! Hopefully we'll get to see him main Elena.

Shajita said on December 17, 2013 at 12:08 p.m.

No kiddin'. I've been playing all my life and never stepped into an arcade.
But I don't get why he would say that he "dropped a token in every machine", as if it had some other meaning than "I played whatever I could find in the arcade"

jaysenedwinward said on December 17, 2013 at 12:12 p.m.

Right in the Feels!!!

ZeuX said on December 17, 2013 at 12:12 p.m.

Dem Contractual obligations.....

timefalls said on December 17, 2013 at 12:18 p.m.

amazing >.>

ReddChief said on December 17, 2013 at 12:18 p.m.

Just means he played multiple games in the arcade unlike most who only went to play Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat etc. and because of that he is good at playing many games at a time

Like it is now only the MK players play MK and Injustice because it's made by NRS and the players that only play SSF4 or only play UMvC3 or both because it's made by Capcom and the Tekken players only play Tekken and when they do finally pick up another game they don't do so good but Justin is one of the few who can because he comes up playing that way sense a kid

SuperStraightFighter said on December 17, 2013 at 12:20 p.m.

No wonder I've been getting free coins on Arcade machines back then Kappa.

ChumbleB said on December 17, 2013 at 12:20 p.m.

Back in the olden days, a player would place a physical token on a machine to reserve his place in the queue.

XeroDgX said on December 17, 2013 at 12:21 p.m.

^this

Bladeballn3 said on December 17, 2013 at 12:27 p.m.

Similar skills transfer to different games. I never would of known that.

Pinkfoodstamp said on December 17, 2013 at 12:27 p.m.

Exactly, I remember reserving my place on SSF2 at our local arcade and playing some time killers.

IareBeStayDrunk said on December 17, 2013 at 12:46 p.m.

Im so confused. Is tokens like some kinda of metaphor? Did he have multiple consoles on at once each in its own online lobby? *mindblown*

calicasey said on December 17, 2013 at 12:49 p.m.

A lost era. Every SF2 machine at Milpitas Golfland had token holding slots installed because people were putting so many tokens on the machine they'd fall off while people played.

xShonuffx said on December 17, 2013 at 1 p.m.

I think its been said already but first of, he said he put a token ON every machine not in. See back in the day when there were long lines at the machine you had to put your Token or quarter on top of the machine and stand in line. Some even had number guides on them. Since most fighting games were side by side, its possible to put one on each machine and keep an eye on it while playing. After Justin gets knocked off the machine he would just go to the next available fighting game. This allows him to adjust to fighters on the fly no matter how unique they are.

Gotomaster said on December 17, 2013 at 1:08 p.m.

Justin, instead of getting interviewed by Jason24cf, gets the E-sport treatment. lol

masang said on December 17, 2013 at 1:20 p.m.

i remember when people were using other people's coins for their turn, or just straight up debo-ing them and taking off, lol!

stormblazer said on December 17, 2013 at 2:26 p.m.

lol at you kids who haven't been to a real arcade where there were lines to play the games. Can't just hit rematch. You had to level up or wait for your next game like 20-30 mins.

dorayaki said on December 17, 2013 at 2:39 p.m.

LOL I feel old. You kiddies don't know the joy (or agony) of REAL gaming apparently.

Added to above poster, by putting a token on multiple games, you can play one game while you're "waiting" in line for the other game(s).

Problem is, you do that in my arcade and you'll come back talking about, "who took my token?!?"

seanyd said on December 17, 2013 at 2:46 p.m.

i guess all these "kids" should apologize for not being born in the era of arcades.

shano said on December 17, 2013 at 2:57 p.m.

LOL :)

Sweet_Violence said on December 17, 2013 at 3:10 p.m.

I am sorry for something I couldn't control.

RedRapperSux said on December 17, 2013 at 3:16 p.m.

Reminds me how all the popular games would have really long lines of nickels/tokens along the bottom of the screen.

Rising_Jaguar said on December 17, 2013 at 3:16 p.m.

dunno about you guys but people still do queue up by placing coins on the machine here at my arcade..i do it too, and i'm a youngin (i believe), lol

ReNiC said on December 17, 2013 at 3:53 p.m.

Holy crap have NONE of you been to an arcade?

Rye_Aka_SekaiSenshi said on December 17, 2013 at 3:54 p.m.

If you weren't tall enough back in the day and known as "The kid" at the arcade you would've to place your quarters on the bottom of the screen (Depends on the size) And you had to beat a bunch of tall ass mofo up there. lol Otherwise you'll have to get back in line and watch people go on a streak. Luckily, some people at the arcades are actually nice, if you actually put effort into playing against some of them and keep losing or getting blown up, you'll get advice from them namely in MVC2 but, most of the time some of them would laugh at you or makes angry looking faces at you like to step away from the cabinet or die. lol Lucky for me, that never happened in MY game in CVS2 topped everyone with a team that I don't even use and it wasn't even with my money. Some black guy just said "Here kid, I gotta go." Basically saw me watching everyone play and probably saw that I'm there all the time. lol Cool memories!

MarthFE said on December 17, 2013 at 4:21 p.m.

I don't think those who grew up in arcades realize that some places just don't have any arcades, or none close by that people could go to daily.

Kenmasters101 said on December 17, 2013 at 4:34 p.m.

China town arcade woot woot!

tenderoni said on December 17, 2013 at 5:22 p.m.

Forget Justin Wong for a second... who was that girl at the end of the video?

chosenst said on December 17, 2013 at 7:36 p.m.

It's just scary to me that people haven't had the chance to experience the arcade atmosphere. I used to love spending afternoons at the local "Nickel Nickel" or down at the Golf N' Stuff arcade... it was just an entirely different experience from gaming with your buddies at home.

You never knew how good the person stepping up to play you was. You never knew how long your money would last. You never knew when your folks would pick you up, so you would rather die then run out of coins first and sit there doing nothing. All that put together made people strive to play their best. If they got beat they would try harder. If they couldn't figure it out they would ask questions. It really made for an amazing atmosphere for video gaming.. and helped cultivate relationships between people with similar interests (not over the internet). I haven't been to an arcade in years.. but I still find myself wanting to walk inside if I see a nice one, just to see what kind of classics they have to offer.

First_Blood said on December 17, 2013 at 7:44 p.m.

Justin Wong said, "Suck it!" @ 2:40 on video. LOL

Gotomaster said on December 17, 2013 at 7:54 p.m.

I'll be honest, I never liked atmosphere of the Arcade days of games. The only time I ever gave myself time to play games on arcades was when I was on the road with loved ones. We would normally stop at a dinner or something, and I would see an arcade machine, where I would play stuff like a Jurassic Park shooter, Terminator Shooter, and my first experience with the Vs series, with Xmen vs Street Fighter. Those out trip moments were the only time I enjoyed the arcade atmosphere. Mostly because there was few people hogging them. So I was able to enjoy the games myself. Never went to the arcades.

General_Awesomo said on December 17, 2013 at 8:01 p.m.

I saw what some of you commenters did there. ^_^

hijahijo said on December 18, 2013 at 1:19 a.m.

Danny Glover: I'm too old for this shyte!

ObscenelyGreat said on December 18, 2013 at 1:34 a.m.

ObscenelyGreat said on December 18, 2013 at 1:58 a.m.

gamemk said on December 18, 2013 at 6:05 a.m.

Signifigance of his token story is that he loves the genre and the competition. The Arcade environment bred the best but the games weren't sport worthy because they were designed to make a certain amount of money in a certain amount of time, in spite of whatever extra depth existed, by chance or by clever, good design. Conversely, the larger online scene doesn't breed the best players, but because the games are no longer confined to the arcade model they can become more sports-like in design, even though they don't always achieve that.

Because the arcade games , and environment were so unforgiving , they eventually brought in less and less new players, but thanks to the infinite "rematch" players who might have been turned off by the arcade environment, the fgc might gain new peopl. They just won't have the relentless drive.

Same thing in the NBA. Kobe and Lebron have totally different views on competition, but both are strong players.

BlankaBeast said on December 18, 2013 at 7:51 a.m.

Justin "Jugglemaster" Wongggg

darthvenom said on December 18, 2013 at 12:18 p.m.

Is that why Diago always kicks his @$$?

Cyan said on December 18, 2013 at 1:13 p.m.

He surely never put some "tokens" in the haircutter...

Amerika said on December 19, 2013 at 8:07 p.m.

That's what it meant. He didn't stick to "his game" in the arcade. He played them all which is why he can juggle games pretty easily where many other top players in some games struggle to crossover to other games with wildly different mechanics.