Sanford Kelly: 'The New York scene was dying, so I decided to spark things up', Smug feels Dudley will be top tier in USF4 - NEC 14 interviews

Posted by DreamKing23
December 11, 2013 at 3:57 p.m. PST

EventHubs correspondent Jason24cf attended NEC 14 this past weekend, and was able to score a few reat interviews with notable folks in the fighting game community.

In this batch of interviews, Jason talks with EMP|Sanford Kelly coming off of his excellent performance during the SSF4 AE v2012 exhibitions, PIE|Smug, and Double Helix Games' community manager, FilthieRich.

During his interview, Sanford discusses how the exhibition matches came about, saying that he felt the scene in New York was dying, and that he wanted to revitalize it. He mentions that, in New York, Injustice: Gods Among Us has been quite hype for the past few months; so he wanted to call out some players on the Street Fighter side of things.

Also in this story, the Dudley specialist, Smug, explains the friendly rivalry between himself and EG|PR Balrog. The pad warrior continues on to share his opinions about Dudley's Ultra Street Fighter 4 changes, saying that they are very good, and will lead to the gentleman boxer being top tier in the upcoming update.

Hit the jump to view all three interviews.

Comments

BionicRebel said on December 11, 2013 at 4:01 p.m.

Dudley for president. Cool, i will stay loyal to my Oni

GakoTheChef said on December 11, 2013 at 4:04 p.m.

(This comment was removed by a moderator.)

sarif2soon said on December 11, 2013 at 4:07 p.m.

So disappointed that Smug doesn't look like a gentleman.
._.

Jamal_Troll said on December 11, 2013 at 4:10 p.m.

Haha PR Rog's murder face.

warrensid said on December 11, 2013 at 4:15 p.m.

(This comment was removed by a moderator.)

kenshin220 said on December 11, 2013 at 4:17 p.m.

ive been out of the loop for a while who exactly is smug ive never heard of him before today when i watched that amazing match between him and rog. im a huge fan of bother characters so that was very exciting

AugustAPC said on December 11, 2013 at 4:17 p.m.

Seems like Sanford was referring to the hype dying in New York, rather than the scene as a whole. That's why he wanted to spark things up.

The exhibition was amazing to watch. The end of the J. Wong set was incredible. It literally could not have been anymore intense. It came down to the absolute end, both players landed ultra and had pixels left! Loved it!

Chris_P_Links said on December 11, 2013 at 4:21 p.m.

(This comment was removed by a moderator.)

Wardog said on December 11, 2013 at 4:28 p.m.

He kinda look like Marlo from the wire.

DunnDeal said on December 11, 2013 at 4:35 p.m.

(This comment was removed by a moderator.)

shinwar said on December 11, 2013 at 4:37 p.m.

That Sanford face

nitrocan said on December 11, 2013 at 4:39 p.m.

How did Sanford get eliminated in the tourney so early on?

KTProsper said on December 11, 2013 at 4:57 p.m.

I think sandford threw his match away at NEC.. he didn't go with his sagat but instead pulled out oni.

timefalls said on December 11, 2013 at 5:03 p.m.

smug seems like a nice guy!

deteknician said on December 11, 2013 at 5:07 p.m.

That was real hype even watching on stream, thanks Sanford.

Afropower said on December 11, 2013 at 5:13 p.m.

(This comment was removed by a moderator.)

KingKong said on December 11, 2013 at 5:15 p.m.

We need more players like Sanford in the FGC.

Captainbuttocks said on December 11, 2013 at 5:17 p.m.

(This comment was removed by a moderator.)

GentleFist said on December 11, 2013 at 5:19 p.m.

@DreamKing23
Typo in final paragraph. "Friednly rivalry"
Good interviews by Jason, as a Dudley main I definitely think people underestimate him, his pressure and oki are just straight ridiculous lol. It's just that currently he loses to A LOT of buttons from the rest of the cast the majority of the time, but if that flaw is remedied then he will be a very good character in ultra.

NoizyChild said on December 11, 2013 at 5:32 p.m.

Players that cry and moan about every game they're bad at, and have bad attitudes in general?

I don't think so, Tim.

DanKrolikowski said on December 11, 2013 at 5:34 p.m.

Fave part- how entertained Smug was when talking about Dudley's infinite in the Ultra build he played- at 3:55 in his interview vid. I think he found it entertaining.

KingKong said on December 11, 2013 at 5:39 p.m.

Noizychild, How old are you? Why do you always post negative bullcrap? You should turn off your console and go out, see some friends and family, have a barbecue, just relax and drink a couple of beers if you're over 21

IareBeStayDrunk said on December 11, 2013 at 5:41 p.m.

Thank god smug is able to speak okay during and interview. -_-

OhYouDontSayThat said on December 11, 2013 at 5:50 p.m.

HAHAHAAAHAHAHAH! that's PR's face right after losing

Splack said on December 11, 2013 at 5:50 p.m.

Sanford Kelly vid @ 10:01

Hmmmm...breaking man codes with that hand bruh....

RedRapperSux said on December 11, 2013 at 5:54 p.m.

(This comment was removed by a moderator.)

NoizyChild said on December 11, 2013 at 6:01 p.m.

I don't. The truth just happened to be negative.

Yeah, Sanford may have created some hype, but he's pretty much known for having a jacked-up attitude.

RedRapperSux said on December 11, 2013 at 6:18 p.m.

Best Show.

BlackOnyxThunder said on December 11, 2013 at 6:20 p.m.

Sweet

franciscois said on December 11, 2013 at 6:58 p.m.

(This comment was removed by a moderator.)

TheTHCGamer said on December 11, 2013 at 7:37 p.m.

Really is a beauty contest? Anyway as usual great interviews Jason It was nice to see Sanford get the whole place hype and when hes feeling confident he can beat anyone in my opinion. It was also nice to hear from the most popular up and coming player smug cant wait to see what he does with Dudley.

DH did a great job with hiring Rich I love getting his perspective on the fighting game community and fighting games in general. Its good to know that KI most likely wont turn into a NRS game with a ton of patches being released the first few months of its release.

saucefonda said on December 11, 2013 at 8:02 p.m.

(This comment was removed by a moderator.)

keefpadthai said on December 11, 2013 at 8:05 p.m.

Well, after this, you got my respect Sanford!!! Keep it up!!!

Aluppoj said on December 11, 2013 at 8:19 p.m.

My compliments to Jason24cf. These were ALL informative, professional interviews!

You let these guys do their thing, and left all the bull$hit out.

Very nice man. Hope to see more of this from you in the future.

@EH posters

Not really that cool to rip on people for their appearance. Smug looks like a normal guy to me.

LegendaryAura said on December 11, 2013 at 8:48 p.m.

Smug, currently my favorite player to watch!
I didn't like Sanford before NEC but he has definitely stepped it up in my book!

GodPride said on December 11, 2013 at 9:44 p.m.

(This comment was removed by a moderator.)

The_Big_Boss said on December 11, 2013 at 9:57 p.m.

(This comment was removed by a moderator.)

citiofbrass said on December 11, 2013 at 10:50 p.m.

good coverage, thx jason

applesandwieners said on December 11, 2013 at 10:53 p.m.

GoldenTrophy said on December 11, 2013 at 10:56 p.m.

I wonder what the appearance of the posters critiquing Smug's face look like. I hope for their sake that they happen to be female because it's pretty "fairy like" to be so observant over a man'a looks. I focus on a chicks looks but I'll save the dude appearance judging to the "on the down low" lames.

kkumar628 said on December 12, 2013 at 2:48 a.m.

Smug really is a beast. That Dudley just cannot be stopped once he gets a taste of blood. These interviews are really well done, too. Mad props to you, Jason.

Houseker said on December 12, 2013 at 3:31 a.m.

Nice interviews. Liked all of them! Keep it up

samuraix025 said on December 12, 2013 at 3:53 a.m.

that PR Rog sad panda face in the background

I_Are_RaBBiT said on December 12, 2013 at 4:08 a.m.

Respect to Sanford man! Humblest I have ever seen him! And that strive to be the best is going to take him FAR! People need that kinda hunger or they'll just stay stagnant.

I love that Smug is getting in that tourney experience. It's one thing playing online at home in your draws where no one is watching but to bring the same talent out in a tourney with EVERY EYE ON YOU whilst having to live up to high expectations too has gotta be PRESSURE and a skill in itself. It's kool that he's recognised that. Smug come 2014 is gone be bananas!

Good interviews all around! US FGC seems fun/hyper!! Hopefully we can eventually get this kinda hype back in the UK... *sigh*

gammabolt17 said on December 12, 2013 at 5:40 a.m.

That PR Rog's "Sanford just busted my ass" face.

Sasuga said on December 12, 2013 at 6:02 a.m.

Your a victim of your own imagination.

EnsignHiro said on December 12, 2013 at 6:52 a.m.

Not gonna lie I def dont care for jason at all but I like the players responses ( the ones he interviews).

btw why does sanford not like or play mvc3

Captainbuttocks said on December 12, 2013 at 7:20 a.m.

lol Fairy like. So being able to tell a good looking person from a crowd means you are gay?

Hmm knowing Brad Pitt is better looking than Carrot Top makes you a fairy?

My point about Smug was that it is quite surprising when you see players' real faces. I for one imagine them a certain way and then its funny when they are not what you expect them to be.

Nothing against smug cuz hes a great player.

Captainbuttocks said on December 12, 2013 at 7:32 a.m.

I want to add that when a player uses a character so well, they seem so tied well together that you imagine them being that character, or close enough.

Like Poongko in his early days. I always imagined him as a dark and mysterious person. Boy, was I wrong.

yomaaaahval said on December 12, 2013 at 8:07 a.m.

oni gonna be more banned USF4

JIHADJOE said on December 12, 2013 at 8:07 a.m.

You mean Poongko's Ryu from before he picked up Seth?

jason24cf said on December 12, 2013 at 8:27 a.m.

@Aluppoj @EnsignHiro Going forward, the two of you should skip my videos when they are posted here on EH. It will save you both time and frustration from posting comments.

Aluppoj said on December 12, 2013 at 8:42 a.m.

Even though you did a good job this time, and I compliment you on a job well done, you still manage to act like a douche in the comment section.

Typical.

Save your fingers Jason. I'm not going to argue with you today. I won't be the reason you post gets 300 comments this time.

skumz88 said on December 12, 2013 at 9:06 a.m.

Injustice the most hype game on the East? Really???? No way!!!(Sarcasm) I keep telling people that the dang game ain't dead! Still second, maybe even 1st next to ssf4ae on the online scene since release. And their is proof by a pro player that injustice has been dominating on the East. People crack me up with that, "This game is dead!" Go by what you know and not by what others say. Did the same thing with sfxtk. Majority of you say that you are apart of the fgc but are so quick to bash a game and label it "Dead!" So sad!!! You may not like it, understand it or know how to play it but don't bash it. Bc it is still apart of the community we are all apart of. Great interview!

jason24cf said on December 12, 2013 at 9:12 a.m.

@Aluppoj Funny ou say that. You give a compliment yet you still say "and left all the bull$hit out".

So tell me, who is the real douche here?

Typical.

jason24cf said on December 12, 2013 at 9:14 a.m.

@skumz88 INJ is doing WAY better then SFxT thats for sure. I must admit, top 8 was hype. I believe during Smugs interview, top 8 was taking place and he was worried the audio from the crowed cheering would mask his voice in the interview. They were loud and props to them for coming in full force!

djm0001 said on December 12, 2013 at 9:15 a.m.

I think Balrog's murder face was because Sanford stood up to shake his hand right after he did the FADC-> Ultra to close out the match, it's a bit disrespectful

BEHAVE YA'SELF, QUIT LYIN, EAT A THROW STUPID

ednine said on December 12, 2013 at 9:35 a.m.

injustice is a great great game. mortal kombat is a great great game. SF is the greatest. Killer instinct is good. Guilty Gear is Beautiful. and SF3 is the best yhing ever to happen in video game fighting history.We need a HD SF3

Catalyst said on December 12, 2013 at 9:48 a.m.

Everyone who insulted someone's physical appearance in this comment thread has had their accounts flagged. And if I see it again, next time your account is banned.

It has NEVER been OK to go after someone's physical appearance, here nor anywhere else, and you should all be ashamed of yourselves for doing crap like that.

AveMcree said on December 12, 2013 at 10:41 a.m.

ruh idk why you entertain these cats on here that nothing to say but negative stuff about you or others.... why not just ban them... they obviously are on here just to troll anyways...... how many FGC events do you see these cats at?

jason24cf said on December 12, 2013 at 10:49 a.m.

@AveMcree I dont see them at a single event. Even when I am in there area I dont see them at events. Im glad you enjoyed the videos. The energy from Sanfords Exhibition was GDLK! The bonus footage says it all

TheTHCGamer said on December 12, 2013 at 10:50 a.m.

That's what I'm talking about and it's funny how those same people won't man up by putting there pictures up so we can rate them. All you need to know is these are cool ass people who are getting the fighting game scene hype. I enjoyed all 3 interviews and it's about time we got some insight from the player who currently has the scariest Dudley. I could watch Smug play Dudley all day it's a thing of beauty.

Once again Jason the Ron Burgundy of the FGC great interviews and good choices.

Captainbuttocks said on December 12, 2013 at 11:01 a.m.

If this was facebook, Im sure people would post up pics to see. I mean, where are YOUR selfies?

Anyway, Catalyst, so you can threaten to ban me for a bad joke but still support Jason for his "eat a dick" comments?

Im at a loss for words.

I can learn a lesson, I get it. But you should police your staff the same way.

YanDaMan said on December 12, 2013 at 11:02 a.m.

Dudley top tier in Ultra? Lets not get ahead of ourselves now. Dudley is a mediocre character right now, its Smug's own talent that brings him to the top in the current version of AE. Having the buffs in Ultra will probably make him better, but top tier? When everyone else getting buffed? We'll have to see. I reserve my doubts though.

TheTHCGamer said on December 12, 2013 at 11:06 a.m.

Why would I need selfies you don't see me calling out anyone for how they look and I guess that means were not on Facebook.

A4headedninja said on December 12, 2013 at 11:10 a.m.

Does anybody else notice the salt on PR Rog face? Lol.

Captainbuttocks said on December 12, 2013 at 11:15 a.m.

you are calling out those that don't post up pictures.
Same goes for that AveMcree calling out those that aren't seen at tourneys when they aren't seen either.

No one called out anyone on how they look. You cant compare to a contest if its just a statement or opinion or something u notice. "hey look, that cloud looks like a racecar!" Opinions come hand in hand with spotlight and the comment section is made for opinions.

No one ever said they look better than Smug.

TheTHCGamer said on December 12, 2013 at 11:21 a.m.

Might want to read the comment section one more time and see that some people were being rude. If your going to make rude comments about his someone looks then you in my book you should man up and put yourself out there. I wasn't referring to you just the people who were being blatantly rude but hey take it whatever way you want.

Captainbuttocks said on December 12, 2013 at 11:25 a.m.

I cant, they banned everything. I wasn't fully directing anything against you either. Just the hypocrisy here is amazing.

jason24cf said on December 12, 2013 at 12:17 p.m.

@captainbuttocks I never wrote what you put down. Dont assume and make accusations because you agree with another person who comments here.

EAD = Expressive And Dumb

Dont assume because the bait was taken by that reader. You think I would do anything to damage the image of EH and my brand? If you do, then you are as Eccentric And Defiant as he is.

Aluppoj said on December 12, 2013 at 12:32 p.m.

Don't feed this troll. The occasional decent interview isn't worth all of his crap.

The journalist that doesn't know the difference between *There and *Their. Very nice.

Start a petition to ban Jason, his trolling and antagonistic antics are out of control.

jason24cf said on December 12, 2013 at 12:48 p.m.

@Aluppoj oh know da gamma cups are afta mi? sing da potietien 2 bane hym!

Aluppoj said on December 12, 2013 at 12:52 p.m.

@Catalyst

You really back this ^^^^?

You've got to be kidding me.

Captainbuttocks said on December 12, 2013 at 1:10 p.m.

I knew you were saving that comeback since that day you posted it.

EAD "oh look ill just make it like this so that when someone calls me out I can defend myself."

Adding this to the other posts where you say you like to stir up crap on here, yes I do think you like to push your limits.

Captainbuttocks said on December 12, 2013 at 1:15 p.m.

Whats funny tho, is how hard you have taken people's opinions of you even though you claim it doesn't bother you. Otherwise, you would not even bother posting a single comment.

Also, you are slowly taking all the criticism and making changes (maybe subconsciously?). Cuz Aluppoj was right, these interviews were really great and they had no gimmicks like previous vids. Even the editing was great.

onearmedbandit said on December 12, 2013 at 1:32 p.m.

How can this guy say he revived the sf4ae scene in NY...sorry my good man TEAM PIE & TEAM SPOOKY has single handedly breathed fresh air into the dying scene not only for NY but the east coast as a whole. You constantly disrespected and hated on your own scene smh..give credit where its due..thank u PIE & TS for keeping it fresh no one will give u guys the recognition but I will..PS im not a hater, amazing show of skills from all players during the exhibition especially from Sanford Kelly

Catalyst said on December 12, 2013 at 2:05 p.m.

People are allowed to express their opinions on the website, as long as they fall in line with the rules.

You've repeatedly called out people on the site, including Jason, yet you haven't been banned.

You've kept your comments, although sometimes VERY abrasive within the confines of the rules, and so has Jason.

Jason, like everyone else, is entitled to express his opinion, call people out of what he thinks is bullsh!t, etc. He has to play by the same rules as everyone else, and he does.

I can see you're personally offended by some of his statements, but you might want to take a closer look at some of the things that you've said that lead to him responding the way he has.

His response certainly wasn't uncalled for, considering what you've written.

Don't dish it out if you can't take it.

Catalyst said on December 12, 2013 at 2:10 p.m.

If you want better/more healthy responses from Jason — and others — you need to change your tone and approach.

You're going to get that response from most people if you choose to call them out. Everyone on the site is only human, and it's natural to respond that way when they feel insulted/attacked.

25tkoplate said on December 12, 2013 at 2:47 p.m.

etrotman said on December 12, 2013 at 3:02 p.m.

Smug has that real thick NYC accent, reminds me of home.

Aluppoj said on December 12, 2013 at 3:09 p.m.

@Catalyst

If you are the intelligent person I have you pegged to be, you can tell the difference between his comments and mine.

And I started today's assessment with a sincere compliment regarding the raised quality of this latest series of interviews.

Meanwhile, the reporter has admitted that he's baiting people to elicite responses and views.

It's all good man. I was just under the impression that EH was kind of a prestigious place within the FGC. Doesn't feel that way when the guys with the 'Blue Names' act in this fashion.

Peace.

Aluppoj said on December 12, 2013 at 3:11 p.m.

And I was banned once. Literally for nothing. Years ago, before 2011.

The old account was Joppula, and I'd like it back;)

Mr2Good said on December 12, 2013 at 3:15 p.m.

I'm glad I'm not the only person that sees Dudley this way.

Catalyst said on December 12, 2013 at 4:39 p.m.

Let me quote a few of your statements about Jason and his work in the past...

"Overall pretty good interviews from Jason. I could have done without all of the a$$ kissing. But hey, that's his style."

"Closing note, I nearly threw up when Jason stopped interviewing WolfKrone to kiss a little more Chris G tush."

"And Gootecks latest admission video about his temper tantrum over the C&D order he recieved, after trying to hijack IP's and create content based on them shouldn't have impressed anyone with half a brain."

So, yes, I can tell the difference between Jason's comments and yours. You've went out of your way to insult the guy because you don't personally like how he conducts interviews.

That's fine, it's your opinion and you're entitled to express it here, but if you expect someone not to get pissed off at the way you expressed yourself... I'm not sure how you have that perspective.

From your comment history, it's clear you're intelligent and know how to express yourself in constructive ways, but that went right out the window a few times when you went in hard on Jason's work.

People take pride in their work, and everyone has a different style. If you go in hard, don't expect the response to be kind in return.

You're 100% entitled to make those statements, as long as it falls in line with the rules, and Jason can make his in return.

The fact is, IMO, you should be better than that in the first place. Criticism is fine and completely has its place, but you appeared to be setting out to insult the guy, and IMO didn't go about things constructively.

If you really wanted to change things and help out, you wouldn't go in so hard, and maybe you'd reach out to Jason in a constructive way and try and help him out.

You don't -have- to do that, but if you care so much, why not use your time and abilities to create good things? I personally think you're entirely capable, so why not take the high road?

applesandwieners said on December 12, 2013 at 4:44 p.m.

Aluppoj said on December 12, 2013 at 5 p.m.

@Catalyst

I appreciate the response.

In fairness I think things started out that way. IMHO, Jason was less than receptive and exceptionally rude.

I think you'll notice a trend lately. Several users have been vocal regarding their displeasure with Jason's comments.

Frankly, the games he's playing within the comment threads are getting extremely tiresome. And they aren't reflective of the behavior you'd expect from someone with 'EH' plastered in front of his name.

He's referencing me in EVERY comment in this post. (I live near Detriot and didn't attend Youmacon. And "EAD" was directed at me)

But you're correct. I have gone in hard on Jason. I'll try to be more constructive in future dealings. Maybe you'll have some words of wisdom for Jason on how EH representatives should conduct themselves within the boards?

To reiterate my initial post: These were Informative and Professional interviews. I look forward to seeing more of this type of work in the future.

djm0001 said on December 12, 2013 at 5:06 p.m.

Apple Sand Wieners, not Apples And Wieners

Eventhubsqueer2 said on December 12, 2013 at 5:09 p.m.

Pen15 said on December 12, 2013 at 8:30 p.m.

Mr_Salt said on December 13, 2013 at 12:24 a.m.

I'm in favor or Aluppoj, formerly known as Joppula(the plot thickens), going against Jason24cf in a journalistic showdown in an extended interview with an FGC member or a first to five in a fighting game determined by coin toss. They wouldn't even be here if they didn't play fighting games, right?

Regarding people commenting on how FGC members look: Who cares when there's an Ibuki cosplayer on the other page with her hips sticking out of the costume? If that doesn't capture your fancy, go look at Thor or Arrow or something. We work with what we're given. Unless you're trying to court Pie Smug or stop someone from courting him, put it in Vogue. Leave it out of a site for fighting games and things revolving around them.

Aluppoj said on December 13, 2013 at 12:35 a.m.

;-)

I like your style.

Street Fighter is Jason's game. Mine as well.

Chun Li vs Fei Long.

If I lose I can always cry Top Tier right? J/K

Mr_Salt said on December 13, 2013 at 12:36 a.m.

If you think Jason is a poor interviewer, he looks like Walter Kronkite next to this guy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbE1HV...

Mr_Salt said on December 13, 2013 at 12:39 a.m.

You can always hold off the showdown till the next USF test location. I hear Chun-Li's jump arc is godlike along with her damage. I'm a T-Hawk and Adon player so I'm still waiting for one character to get a gun and the other to keep both hits of his fierce kick.

I am serious about the challenge though. Maybe an online exchange of gamertags. After Dreamking and Catalyst put their fights online, I'm eager to see the people running the show and working behind the scenes like Spooky, Min, and Jason show take on their viewers. Not because they have anything to prove per se but it's all for entertainment anyway. I know they enjoy the games as much as we do. Otherwise, Spooky will stream weddings.

Aluppoj said on December 13, 2013 at 12:43 a.m.

Heh heh, I'm all for a few T.Hawk buffs for you. He's awesome.

But I'm not a huge Adon fan. He's really pesky.

As for the Loctest, I doubt we'll be in the same state anytime soon. I'm in Michigan, 1,000,000,000 miles away from any loc tests:(

Sure, I'd play.