Sanford Kelly's Sagat and Oni combat Justin Wong, Aquasilk, and PR Balrog - SSF4 AE v2012 exhibition replays from NEC 14

Posted by DreamKing23
December 10, 2013 at 11:01 a.m. PST
Team Spooky has uploaded the complete footage of EMP|Sanford Kelly's Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition v2012 exhibition matches that took place at NEC 14 this past weekend. These first to 5 sets were played against a few heavy hitters in on the tournament scene: EG|Justin Wong (Rufus), EG|PR Balrog (Balrog), and Aquasilk (Zangief).

To get you started, we have the first to 5 between Sanford's Oni, and Aquasilk's Zangief.

Hit the jump to view the other bouts.

Mentioned by Wolfz.

Comments

evo546 said on December 10, 2013 at 11:07 a.m.

Best NEC 2013 moment for sure.

FreshProduce4u2 said on December 10, 2013 at 11:11 a.m.

Kellz is the truth. Best matches hands down. Im proud to say that I've played in arcades with him.

HADdaHUSTLA said on December 10, 2013 at 11:23 a.m.

The Fanatiq of Street Fighter 4, SanThrax. This dude is a beast, but in tournaments, he can't get it done. The hype on these off tournament sets were godlike, even the Marvel Sets. I love it when I feel like I'm there even when I'm hundreds of miles away. GREAT TOURNAMENT!!!!

KanzakiMtl said on December 10, 2013 at 11:40 a.m.

Sanford is just amazing...His execution is so godlike...I'm jealous lol

David_I said on December 10, 2013 at 11:41 a.m.

Aqua made a complete fool of himself after his pre-match video promo was aired and getting bodied hard by Kelly. -_-

bonchon said on December 10, 2013 at 11:51 a.m.

Why Smug > Sanford

- Beat PRBalrog 5 - 3 compare to Sanford's close 5 - 4 win
- Beat Sanford easily whether using Sagat or Oni
- Use a low tier char and have char loyalty, unlike Sanford always counter picks with Cammy/Sagat.
- Placed higher than Sanford in NEC in AE singles
- Placed higher than Sanford's team in NEC in AE teams

MCZ_Ryu said on December 10, 2013 at 12:02 p.m.
EMP_BrokeTier_Triforce said on December 10, 2013 at 12:02 p.m.

Mad respect to Sanford for this

ForTheViolence said on December 10, 2013 at 12:02 p.m.

Who cares, what the hell does smug have to do with this? Why smug is not better than sanford.

-Never beaten sanford in a first to 5, has only lost.
Only point that needs to be made.

bonchon said on December 10, 2013 at 12:07 p.m.

lol because Sanford is scared to play Smug in FT5, he always get bodied by Smug in tournaments. Just admit there are many better players than Sanford @ NYC. Smug,Zeus, Rico can all body Sanford easily in short or long sets.

HeatEXTEND said on December 10, 2013 at 12:20 p.m.

was hype kreygasm

HeatEXTEND said on December 10, 2013 at 12:21 p.m.

gr8 b8 m8, I r8 8/8

JusticeBFBHCBHS said on December 10, 2013 at 12:23 p.m.

Actually, I think it's because no one wants to watch a FT5 of "Pro vs. Nobody." Those guys need to move up the ladder before anyone important will be calling them out for FT5's.

TheStarryKnight said on December 10, 2013 at 12:23 p.m.

I like Sanford, I just don't know how much Sanford likes being Sanford. He seems to have a chip on his shoulder or like everything is a pain to him in his demeanor. It'd be nice to see him look more peaceful, great player, but attitude says a lot..
Also these top players who are black need to show more of black rhythm and swag that they are supposed to have. Complaining, pop-offs, excessive trash talk, excuses, and all else aren't always a good look.

Keep rocking Kellz and stay cool man, you've earned your spot as a common name that people talk about. Just find the flow and enjoy it.

I'm no 'therapist' just an observer.

ForTheViolence said on December 10, 2013 at 12:41 p.m.

Umm they have played sets on the team pie stream and smug got bopped. You have no idea what you are talking about. Smug is a great player, he's been in the spotlight for a few weeks and he already has hardcore dick riders like you though? that was fast. Sanford hasn't lost a ft5 or longer set to anyone in NYC, so again you're speaking nonsense.

H_Magnus said on December 10, 2013 at 12:44 p.m.

PIK A TAP TEAR.

NYCraziSalvi516 said on December 10, 2013 at 12:47 p.m.

That's a complete lie. Sanford has lost sets to Chin, Smug and Zues.

deteknician said on December 10, 2013 at 1:31 p.m.

Personally I'm not big fan of Sanford mostly because of his grumpy attitude but of course respect him as a player. This gauntlet of his was crazy hype and I wish I was there to feel the energy in that room. Good stuff and I hope he can use this to stay more positive; we need more hype like that at tournaments.

Remondo02 said on December 10, 2013 at 1:35 p.m.

Salty in the end against Justin, it was realllllly hype to watch !!!

RedRapperSux said on December 10, 2013 at 1:41 p.m.

Definitely the highlight of the whole entire tournament.

GodPride said on December 10, 2013 at 1:49 p.m.

Justinmon

Cammystrike said on December 10, 2013 at 2:01 p.m.

I wish Justin and Sanford would have ended with a double KO, that would have been mad hype. Either way Sanford did his thing, easily the hypest moment of the tourney.

And Smug is fun to watch and all, but to say he's better than Sanford, you're smoking the good stuff. He has good set ups and execution, but his fundamentals aren't on Sanfords' level.

emmettfmb554 said on December 10, 2013 at 2:02 p.m.

Wolfz said on December 10, 2013 at 2:48 p.m.

Thanks for the mention!

That Justin x Sanford was just the hypest thing I can recall right now from 2013.

CRAYONSEED said on December 10, 2013 at 2:52 p.m.

I had to leave to go to a party before the end of the JWong match. My GOD! If that Sagat corner ultra would have connected Sanford would have won. And twice his FADC>Ultra missed the second part of the Ultra costing him the round.

Sanford did his job, but Capcom eff'd him. They should rematch in USF4...

Xul said on December 10, 2013 at 4:08 p.m.

PxGGiovanni said on December 10, 2013 at 4:47 p.m.
GoldenTrophy said on December 10, 2013 at 10:48 p.m.

He beat Smug in a first to 5(might I add it was one of the best first to 5 I ever seen) and whoop de do Smug beat PR Rog in a 3am in the morning first to 5 so they're 1-1 in face offs I have yet to see smug beat Chris G and Zeus in every encounter he's had with them while Sanford has beaten each of them numerous times.

I_Are_RaBBiT said on December 11, 2013 at 2:46 a.m.

Man..... Sanford really needed this! Sooooo many people were starting to say he was washed up. And after not doing well AT ALL at NEC not getting out of pools, I was starting to think it was a wrap for him too! THEN these exhibitions happened! Jeeeez!! Some of the best, most hype matches I've seen in a looooooooooooooooong time!!

I felt SO sorry for Aqua though! What made it worse was that he did not approach the FT5 humbly. Not even slightly! Ran his mouth and even made gestures behind Sanfords back just before the start of the match! And then got torn to shreds! Ouch! How do you live something like that down? Shaaaaaame!

SAMURAI said on December 11, 2013 at 4:41 a.m.

Sanford ONI!!!

streetfighterjoe said on December 11, 2013 at 5:03 a.m.

Justin wong vs the word

sneakytoes said on December 13, 2013 at 1:26 a.m.

why be a king when you can be a god

JIHADJOE said on December 29, 2013 at 12:25 a.m.

Thanks for the link, didn't even know they had played a FT7.