PR Balrog: Balrog's USF4 changes make him more rushdown heavy, feels this is the best version of Boxer - tons of loc test impressions from NEC 14

Posted by DreamKing23
December 10, 2013 at 4 p.m. PST

Olympic Gaming attended NEC 14 this past weekend, and was able to score quick interviews with numerous players, getting their impressions on Ultra Street Fighter 4. NEC being another location test, many of these players were able to get hands on time with the game, and test out their main characters.

There are a ton of great players here discussing their thoughts, including EG|PR Balrog (Balrog), PIE|Smug (Dudley), Yeb (Gen), Zeus (Vega), EMP|Tampa Bison and Happy Medicine (M. Bison), AG|Native Impact (T. Hawk), and more.

Because these were shot at the event, some of them are a little bit difficult to hear due to background noise. But you can catch everything if you listen closely.

Hit the jump to check out the video.

Thanks to David_I, and AkumahMatata for sending in the tips.

Comments

shinwar said on December 10, 2013 at 4:05 p.m.

oooooo

Captainbuttocks said on December 10, 2013 at 4:08 p.m.

Wheres online tony ?

s0lid_snake said on December 10, 2013 at 4:11 p.m.

of course it's the best version of him, everything is safe...

perfume said on December 10, 2013 at 4:12 p.m.

Nice, I love Rog's rushdown Rog.

Rambro said on December 10, 2013 at 4:17 p.m.

man smug is going to be sooo dangerous

Jason said on December 10, 2013 at 4:25 p.m.

Even though they made his LP and MP overheads safe, they don't lead into big damage anymore, so they're really just like a normal overhead now, except with a dash on the start and slower startup.

And LP dash straight being -3 on block was incredibly stupid, considering similar moves like Scissor Kick or Sakura's tatsu being +0.

omegamarth said on December 10, 2013 at 4:45 p.m.

Yeah, the LP dash Straight nerf in AE was a bunch of crap.

But wait, can't you still combo off of the EX/HP versions of overhead? If not, that's a bummer, and I guess I'm gonna have to get better with them hit confirms, lol.

Even if there's no more overhead into ultra, this is still a godsend, and safe overhead/low dash punches are going to be an absolute nightmare.

shinwar said on December 10, 2013 at 4:48 p.m.

I just want Rog's Headbutt to be FADCable.

shoryuken78 said on December 10, 2013 at 4:49 p.m.

s0lid_snake said on December 10, 2013 at 4:49 p.m.

- EX Dash Ground Smash is now -1 on block. (changed from -3)
Is that his overhead, because if so there really is no reason to ever use his hp version. He can still do ex and pull of a full combo and if they block he's safe.

RebornOdin said on December 10, 2013 at 4:50 p.m.

EX/HP versions of overhead function exactly like they do now.

BlackOnyxThunder said on December 10, 2013 at 4:51 p.m.

SMUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUG da beast...

shoryuken78 said on December 10, 2013 at 5 p.m.

Cascadian1106 said on December 10, 2013 at 5:03 p.m.

LOLOL. Chun Li will still destroy these boxers without even breaking a sweat using her new tools.

shoryuken78 said on December 10, 2013 at 5:16 p.m.

RedRapperSux said on December 10, 2013 at 5:17 p.m.

k

shoryuken78 said on December 10, 2013 at 5:22 p.m.

DannyBoyPERU said on December 10, 2013 at 5:23 p.m.

Bison baby criers...

Gruntside said on December 10, 2013 at 5:27 p.m.

Hell yea my n1gga smug telling me what i wanna hear

shoryuken78 said on December 10, 2013 at 5:27 p.m.

mrkareemruiz said on December 10, 2013 at 5:39 p.m.

Boxer needed them buffs he was not great in AE

PrinceBlast said on December 10, 2013 at 5:43 p.m.

interesting..

Alfiebo said on December 10, 2013 at 5:44 p.m.

THESE BLANKA CHANGES AREN'T ENOUGH!

Xul said on December 10, 2013 at 5:47 p.m.

etrotman said on December 10, 2013 at 6:28 p.m.

Xul , did u make top 16 at dreamhack? Lol

Raloobs said on December 10, 2013 at 6:33 p.m.

what ever happened to yang, didnt people say he was gonna be gdlk? whats happening with the twins in general? havent heard crap about them, good or bad

APollo_Lv2 said on December 10, 2013 at 6:46 p.m.

Rofl funny, the people who complain about Bison players complaining about their character are the simple minded ones who don't know how to just beat him and love to press buttons. I didn't think it was possible, but Capcom has made Bison even worse

Emesots said on December 10, 2013 at 6:47 p.m.

Man ! happy medicine is one of the best Bison players in America , and he knows what he is talking! these '' buffs'' are ineffective . we bison players want better teleport, scissor kick the way it is now in 2012 , ultra 2 motion commnad again ,EX Psycho Crusher Add additional invincibility in the begining and/or remove his ability to be thrown out of it. Ever since AE 2012, I've been thrown out of this move on startup .

IMainDanHibiki said on December 10, 2013 at 6:53 p.m.

What you Bison players want doesn't matter. If it's for the sake of balance, I agree with Bison's nerfs. Now he can't be a braindead moron with his pressure; a good 3 frame normal will stuff further mindless Lk Lk Lk Scissor Kick pressure.

It's not like it makes any difference in the first place. There are very few members of the cast that can do anything off of a 3 frame normal anyway.

Adapt, don't whine.

AKumahMatata said on December 10, 2013 at 6:55 p.m.

Thank you for the feature and everyone else for the support!

fuerteva said on December 10, 2013 at 6:57 p.m.

Where the honda players at?

Shinkutatsumaki said on December 10, 2013 at 7 p.m.

Wait wait wait.... did Smug just say that Dudley's rose is gonna be like how it was in 3rd strike???
DUUUUUUDS!!!!!!!

But on a serious note, if the 5th new character is gonna be who I think it is, I don't care which current character gets nerfs or buffs. I'm gonna main that new character forever.

EXCh33ky said on December 10, 2013 at 7:08 p.m.

People complaining about Balrog buffs?! LOL

soggytoast said on December 10, 2013 at 7:19 p.m.

Yeah, I almost fell out of my seat during that one.

What a clown this guy is.

"How dare you try to push buttons like a scrub while I scissor kick, s.hk you into oblivion. Just sit there and block like a champ until time runs out. Pfff, breaking out of the corner is for simple minded scrubs. I'm doing all that work deciding between scissor kick, s.hk, or dash up throw and you tried to push buttons like a scrub. Capcom has no idea what they're doing, forcing Bison players to be smarter with their pressure."

Green016 said on December 10, 2013 at 7:29 p.m.

God, I hate what they're doing to this game. Delayed wakeup might work out to be a decent addition but double ultra and red focus still seem so stupid to me and I wish they just got rid of them entirely. I know they're still tweaking things but what the hell are they thinking with some of these changes? Some characters are ridiculously op now, some got barely any buffs, and some look super weak. There's zero balance at all with the cast as a whole.

All I know is everyone out there that mains grapplers, me included should get ready to spend our time in low tier village. All our bad mu's seem to be getting much worse while we're getting not getting much improvements at all or are getting worse. Hawk might get slightly better but Gief is getting shafted as usual and Hakan will probably stay around the same.

I have zero confidence in Combofiend and his knowledge of this game. I just pray that he has little pull at Capcom for his change suggestions for the characters. This is gonna be the worst version of SF4 imo if it continues the way it's going.

EnsignHiro said on December 10, 2013 at 7:33 p.m.

Lol at happy medicine. Simple minded? Says the guy with character that does same safe pressure scissor kick bs over and over again. Man high level players dont sound very intelligent at all sometimes.

Paradonyx said on December 10, 2013 at 8:04 p.m.

*End rant*

Emesots said on December 10, 2013 at 8:08 p.m.

if u do not know how to counteract scisors kik pressure, will train this why this is not a problem when you know retaliate. top players have never complained about it! only noobs! and for the sake of balance, bison is now mid tier. with this nerfs he will be mid-low tier, so it would be wise for him to be mid-high tier! and improve the match up against guille!

RandomSelectMaster said on December 10, 2013 at 8:16 p.m.

And I thought he was dangerous before. His pokes are amazing... let's see how it all turns out. I may have to pick him up :).

KTProsper said on December 10, 2013 at 8:27 p.m.

So if bison gets less push back on so then he's free to grapplers.. if he gets more push back then he's more safe but loses his current pressure.. pick your poison happy medicine.

KTProsper said on December 10, 2013 at 8:33 p.m.

*sk

darkcloudzzz said on December 10, 2013 at 8:54 p.m.

i think native has said it all..even he seems tired from all the salt~~

RandomSelectMaster said on December 10, 2013 at 9:22 p.m.

If anything, I will only complain about Adon's nerfs... why why why? Keep him the same.

Daedae22 said on December 10, 2013 at 9:38 p.m.

Bison and Fei changes reported not that bad? Man o man it feels good to be right. Fei and Bison players pls stop crying now.

Rameo said on December 10, 2013 at 11:36 p.m.

Those moves are not close AT ALL.

Balrog will DESTROY any character that does not have a 3 frame normal now. Jab rush leaves him so close to the opponent that he will be able to bully you with his jabs.

Bison has no reliable anti air, cannot combo into ultra and low kick scissors leaves him at a non abusable range unless you're in the corner.

Balrog can hit you with one jab and land an ultra and carry you to the corner. He does substantial amount of damage off of a jab compared to Bison.

zombiebrian said on December 10, 2013 at 11:58 p.m.

aa into ultra? combos? damn this sound familiar cant place the character whos been doing this since 08? hmmm it'll come to me

Remondo02 said on December 11, 2013 at 1:20 a.m.

Dictator is buff in many ways, except the recovery on his scissor kick and it doesn't change a lot actually...

Chousuke said on December 11, 2013 at 2:22 a.m.

I don't think Bison is significantly nerfed. The way I see it, characters that actually have good normals to stop scissor kick pressure and escape the corner now will need to fear being whiffpunished by s.mp xx whatever if Bison spaces himself right.

I can see Chun becoming a problem for Bison with her 1f super and godlike pokes, but the way it's going, Chun will be a problem for everyone.

Some of the requests really just sound like the usual "please give my character all the tools to beat everything easily" whining, but I suppose everyone does that.

Kelshou said on December 11, 2013 at 2:56 a.m.

PR Rog said that Balrog might be OP...I'm scared...

trinispartan said on December 11, 2013 at 4:37 a.m.

I just hope all chars are worthy like ryu. Gen need a fight to the death.

Aluppoj said on December 11, 2013 at 6:30 a.m.

I think it's great that Capcom has involved the fans. To bring them into the creative process in this way is monumental.

Ultra is going to be a blast.

danny2times said on December 11, 2013 at 6:58 a.m.

Looking to pick boxer up in ultra, looking fun.

Xul said on December 11, 2013 at 7:28 a.m.

put_Garuda_in_SFIV said on December 11, 2013 at 8:10 a.m.

Ummm... Garuda?

danny2times said on December 11, 2013 at 8:38 a.m.

Who do you think it is? My guess is haggars daughter Jessica. She's fine being the token helpless victim. She trained with her dad and fights almost exactly like him.

manoelmfs1 said on December 11, 2013 at 8:41 a.m.

Rog is the easiest character in SF .-.

SeaJay said on December 11, 2013 at 10:55 a.m.

R.I.P Adon :(

Fightprovoker said on December 11, 2013 at 11:44 a.m.

When I played Balrog at Super Arcade last week he did feel maybe to strong. He can still combo into ultra after EX/Fierce Overhead but the Jab and the Strong versions he cant. The overhead is still really easy to see coming and react to though. Gotta admit though that his ultra buff is my favorite. Now instead of the uppercut at the end of ultra 1 you can choose if you wanna straight or upper. I hated getting punished because the last hit of the ultra wouldn't connect.

BuffBison said on December 11, 2013 at 12:08 p.m.

Ima bison player and yes alot of bison players are compaining waaaay too much. His damage is ass and -1 light scissors sucks but like sum1 said b4 adapt. Cancleble far mp adds a more damaging bnb so it is wut it is. And no bison isnt a brain dead character to use as so many people try to say. Just like yall say bison players need to stop whining...funny how yall whine bout bison spamming a move that does 90 damage smh. And thats just corner pressure.

Neobrown said on December 11, 2013 at 2:26 p.m.

It's fun to come on Eventhubs everyday and read all the Salt. Maybe people need to learn two characters? Just my 2 cents