Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate will have 231 costumes to unlock, new 2v2 Tag Mode and Character Points system being added

Posted by Steven 'Dreamking23' Chavez • August 22, 2013 at 4:52 p.m. PDT
Dead or Alive fans have a bit of news to read through today regarding the upcoming Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate game. Tecmo Koei has revealed that the next DoA iteration will feature a staggering 231 unlockable costumes for players to use in battle.

In the original Dead or Alive 5, players were able to unlock 114 alternate outfits for their characters. Ultimate is adding nearly double that, each of which can be acquired by using the Grade Points earned by winning matches.

Not only will Tecmo be adding a slew of new costumes, but a 2v2 online tag mode that allows two players to square off against other teams and a new Character Points system will be in DoA5U. This system, akin to Street Fighter 4's Battle Points, will indicate a player's skill level with a specific character.

Check out a few screen shots from Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate below.

Click images for larger versions

Source: Siliconera. Tip by TheDuskwalker.

Comments

FrenchPingu said on August 22, 2013 at 4:55 p.m.

That's a lot of swimsuit !

swifF101 said on August 22, 2013 at 4:56 p.m.

hyyyyyype

NyuBomber said on August 22, 2013 at 4:56 p.m.

I had to do a flipping triple take. Much respect to Tecmo.

JiFoJoka said on August 22, 2013 at 4:58 p.m.

WOAH! Even if the number of costumes included colour alternates (if there are any), that's still a ton! O_O

Kwisatz_Haderach said on August 22, 2013 at 5:04 p.m.

Awesome, but do the costumes from vanilla transfer over, too?

DCarvel said on August 22, 2013 at 5:07 p.m.

Oh my goodness oh my dayum........231?

Muju said on August 22, 2013 at 5:09 p.m.

Swimsuit Collection 2013

SqueakyBloom said on August 22, 2013 at 5:12 p.m.

@#5 They do carry over, but some of the vanilla costumes are now part of DoAU unlockables.

icejohn said on August 22, 2013 at 5:15 p.m.

All over my computer lol
Hype news...just a few more days!

KCereal said on August 22, 2013 at 5:20 p.m.

231 bikinis #PogChamp

Meety said on August 22, 2013 at 5:21 p.m.

This be DOA. They specialize in a lot of costumes throughout their games.

anthonygamer said on August 22, 2013 at 5:22 p.m.

Holy crap! Can't wait until this comes out.

Thrashballer said on August 22, 2013 at 5:23 p.m.

Hopefully there'll be some classic costumes included.

Virtua_Kazama said on August 22, 2013 at 5:25 p.m.

Hey guys, if you wanna check out the game's showcase please check out: http://www.twitch.tv/konsolekingz

gtfopanda said on August 22, 2013 at 5:32 p.m.

Key world, >unlock<

Thank you Tecmo for not ripping us off 100 % like others do.

DProto said on August 22, 2013 at 5:36 p.m.

Galletano said on August 22, 2013 at 5:38 p.m.

I love this, i like unlocking the costumes. Gotta love how teem ninja uses the customs as trophies.

rongames91 said on August 22, 2013 at 5:38 p.m.

oh my god lmao

HooliganComboFTW said on August 22, 2013 at 5:46 p.m.

Unlocking 200+ costumes?

This is nostalgic.

JesseRobles said on August 22, 2013 at 5:53 p.m.

HOLY GUACAMOLE!
Also, why no one makes a team mode tourney? That mode is amazing! I love the game, but 1 vs 1 gets boring to watch really fast. A tag team tourney would be crazy and hype. :)

HyperViperNZ said on August 22, 2013 at 5:56 p.m.

2v2 Online! YES! that's what I've been waiting for! that was the best thing about DOA4. Was disappointed to see it wasn't in the 5th game.
Also excited about the combo trials. Looking forward to this game. Now if only it had team battle mode like the 4th game did.

theshredder39 said on August 22, 2013 at 6:03 p.m.

Well that's interesting, hopefully the VF characters get the costumes that were DLC in VF5.

maxi2099 said on August 22, 2013 at 6:09 p.m.

Give me PC or give death!
One shame that since the game is from Tecmo I have 99% of chance to receive death...

Portal23 said on August 22, 2013 at 6:23 p.m.

Just take my money now!!

TrueGamingGuru said on August 22, 2013 at 6:27 p.m.

More costumes to unlock, AWESOME. I'm almost 100% done unlocking the DOA5 original, but I couldn't get Lisa's rare swimsuit (since its conditions is very hard to get) I'll get it later. I get to unlock more costumes, which I'm going to have a good time.

@23 Why do you want a PC version anyway? You got to keep in mind the DOA series overall has never gotten a PC release from Tecmo or Team Ninja themselves. (The only PC version was not developed by Tecmo, and was made in China) DOA has always been part of consoles from Sega, Playstation, Xbox, & 3DS.

Eye_of_Orochi said on August 22, 2013 at 6:28 p.m.

This is great news.

But I will say to #15, many costumes were not free in vanilla and actually cost a lot of money to unlock them all.

MuMuGuy said on August 22, 2013 at 6:28 p.m.

lol @ all the screenshots showing all connections that are rated as a 5. The vanilla version of DOA5 had smegma for netcode, so call me Doubting Thomas as to the netcode being good in DOA5U.

Volks said on August 22, 2013 at 6:38 p.m.

Unlocking costumes is teh lose. I'll wait for the " all unlocked" save to be uploaded, it did me wonders for injustice.

AugustAPC said on August 22, 2013 at 6:45 p.m.

I wonder how many costumes are available for purchase in contrast. I know that they're still keeping most of the female swimsuits as DLC and not adding them to the game as unlockables.

BumbleBee said on August 22, 2013 at 6:45 p.m.

@ 19 You damn right, good sir. I almost forgot how it is - spending hours/days on unlocking good amount of stuff. Thank you, Tecmo !

Virtua_Kazama said on August 22, 2013 at 6:45 p.m.

@TrueGamingGuru

You can try 200 Ranked matches in order to unlock Lisa's swimsuit.

TrueGamingGuru said on August 22, 2013 at 6:59 p.m.

@31 You could unlock Lisa's swimsuit that way? Did you get Lisa's swimsuit that way? I've never heard that method of playing 200 ranked matches, the only method I know was Survival mode on Legend difficulty. If that was the case I'll try that instead of Survival.

massi4h said on August 22, 2013 at 7:30 p.m.

I struggled to dish out the money to get DOA5 even though I really like the series. Now I'm even less likely to have someone to play with :(

Also from what I heard back in the day, getting Lisa'a swimsuit (the Venus) was way harder when she first came into it in DOAX. Unless this is a different swimsuit entirely

swordsman09 said on August 22, 2013 at 7:59 p.m.

So now we get 200+ costumes? Great!
I can't wait to see Rig and Jacky's outfits!

Smorgasboard said on August 22, 2013 at 8:04 p.m.

Why don't more people play this game?

ya_boy said on August 22, 2013 at 8:13 p.m.

So this game did one thing right. All games whether they be fighters or otherwise should make you unlock costumes, not sell them at prices only Warren Buffett would shrug at.
The number needs to be lower though because color swaps don't count as extra costumes and if I remember correctly every character has like 3 or more color swaps of one costume. So 231 is a padded number.

darrenbritt34 said on August 22, 2013 at 8:13 p.m.

231????!!!!!! HOLY SH*T!!!!!!!

Virtua_Kazama said on August 22, 2013 at 8:42 p.m.

@TrueGamingGuru

Yea, but you don't have to win Ranked Matches. Just play it. It was mentioned on the 1.03 changelist months ago.

TrueGamingGuru said on August 22, 2013 at 9:09 p.m.

@38 That's easy enough, I'll try that instead of Survival. I must've missed that piece of info, oh well. One last quick question, can you unlock Lisa's costume with anyone else in Ranked Matches? Like example I'm likely to use Kasumi to do the Ranked Matches, just to unlock Lisa's costume.

zss27 said on August 22, 2013 at 9:23 p.m.

I'm glad these are not paid dlc costumes
vanilla costumes were too expensive

swordsman09 said on August 22, 2013 at 9:27 p.m.

Will they let two players on one console play on one team like in SFxT or TTT2? I've been waiting for that feature for a while.

RunnersKnee said on August 22, 2013 at 9:37 p.m.

Didn't Tecmo mention at some point that their 2v2 tag mode will have four characters simultaneous or did I just miss something?
Harada promised the same thing for Tag 2 and it didn't show...

bojack13 said on August 22, 2013 at 9:38 p.m.

Gonna have to remember to wait for the Ultimate edition from now on for these DOA games. Really hate it when my full-priced copy of almost the same game becomes useless but at least they waited a full year, unlike Capcom and UMvC3. Yep, Capcom reference just like you expected.

YoraiDragon said on August 22, 2013 at 9:42 p.m.

DAAAAAAAAAYUM YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

HooliganComboFTW said on August 22, 2013 at 11:01 p.m.

Alpha was already confirmed to have at least one new costume.

Hajiki said on August 22, 2013 at 11:27 p.m.

You can use anyone, as long as you play 200 ranked matches the costume will unlock.

TheLaw said on August 22, 2013 at 11:33 p.m.

@27 supposedly they changed the netcode for this game. And b4 you talk s/hit, keep in mind that Japan's Internet is light years ahead of Internet in the us and etc. I'm talking 1TB/ps

AgentQuicksilver said on August 22, 2013 at 11:35 p.m.

I'm so pumped for this game!

crispylinks77 said on August 23, 2013 at 12:37 a.m.

Holy crap, someone please tell Capcom this is how you show fans they're appreciated.

AugustAPC said on August 23, 2013 at 2:44 a.m.

Well Capcom is giving players all the SF:IV costumes if you purchase the disc based release for Ultra SF:IV.

There's clearly more effort being put into Ultimate DOA 5, but then again, they aren't offering a $15 DLC upgrade rendition, either.

Regardless, there's still a large chunk of DLC costumes that aren't being included in the Ultimate DoA 5 package. Mostly all the skimpy swimsuits for females. It kinda bugs me when I don't have "complete" games, but with the retarded pricing for alternate costumes in fighters, I had to give that up. I mean, I wouldn't even use the swimsuits if I had them... but for some reason, I still want them. Guess it's just the collector in me.

SeriphAngel said on August 23, 2013 at 5:35 a.m.

OMG YES!!!! Just hope I do not have to get them all through DLC though and can actually unlock them the old fashion way. Love that they brought back the point system from 4 I use to be so stoke once I was able to afford the costumes.

SeriphAngel said on August 23, 2013 at 5:44 a.m.

I hope the men do not get gayed over though. My Bayman needs more rape gear.

HyperViperNZ said on August 23, 2013 at 6:40 a.m.

Why do all the sources about DOA5U say that this is the first in the series for 2v2 online tag? The 4th game had it...

Super_Honda said on August 23, 2013 at 6:49 a.m.

I'm actually considering getting a DOA game for the first time. Can anyone provide me some information about DOA: whether it'll be the series in general, mechanics etc. Also, what's interesting about DOA, compared to other fighting games, particularly with 3D fighting games? Obviously, I know they have the girls, which I can see that lol. Anyway, I appreciate it if anyone replies back, by either on PM or on this thread.

HyperViperNZ said on August 23, 2013 at 7:16 a.m.

@Super_Honda
As far as 3D fighting games go, the DOA series would have to be my favorite. The series are unique in that it has a counter system. In a sense this stops button mashers so the game can be quite technical and strategic. It's more fast paced than other 3D fighters too. You'll have to play for yourself because it's too hard to describe. In my opinion the game is visually more stunning than Tekken and Virtua Fighter and the fighting is more fluid and it actually has a decent story line. Anyway, I highly recommend you at least try it.

thiagoeis said on August 23, 2013 at 7:23 a.m.

I'll stick with the free version first. I barely played vanilla DOA5, but some of the new stuff are getting me hype.

Capcom_Warrior said on August 23, 2013 at 7:52 a.m.

Have you not seen how expensive the DLC is for the current DOA5? It's ridiculous. It's cool that there's gonna be a lot of costumes for this but unlocking everything is so boring and tedious. Who wants to play Arcade Mode that much. This way of unlocking content has to stop. I'd rather it just be for matches played in any mode. Kinda like colors and taunts in SSF4AE.

Niitris said on August 23, 2013 at 8:02 a.m.

I prefer other 3D fighters, but I dabble with everything.

DoA's core gameplay revolves around the rock-paper-sissors relationship of strike, throw, and, hold(counter). It's a very interesting system, and probably my favorite in any fighter. However, holds tend to be powerful (which is where the "lol mash counter" issue comes from), so watch out.

Holds can be done out of critical stun and in string gaps (not out of regular hit-stun like many people would say). This in itself isn't a problem, but when holds are as powerful as they are, it gives people an incentive to "guess" the right counter by mashing (think combo breaker). Of course there are launchers too, so if you don't want to avoid the stun game, you can do that instead (your launch height won't be as high though). I lurk FreeStepDodge for insight (as well as many other competitive sites), so I'm not saying this to bash DoA in any way.

Personally, if they nerfed holds (add more recovery and made it to where only parries [not all holds inflict damage] can be done out of stun) I think it would do a lot for DoA's gameplay. It's a surprisingly fun (and of course pretty looking) game and it's not as bad as people say (I used to not give it a chance either), but it is a bit rough around the edges.

Niitris said on August 23, 2013 at 8:14 a.m.

so if you want to avoid the stun game*

can't edit comments >_>

AresDemigod said on August 23, 2013 at 8:45 a.m.

this game is so underrated and boobs...

RYU81 said on August 23, 2013 at 8:58 a.m.

will all 231 costumes free to unlock into the game or will there half of them as DLC?

cinnamonpirate said on August 23, 2013 at 12:24 p.m.

Some people seem to be under the impression that all 231 costumes will be unlock able through gameplay. This is probably not the case.

SuperJ said on August 23, 2013 at 12:48 p.m.

I'm not really going to play online but MAYBE I'll still get this for the sheer amount of content UNLOCKABLE and not as dlc. We'll see...

Super_Honda said on August 23, 2013 at 1:25 p.m.

@57 and @60

Okay, thanks for providing me some information on DOA. There's a F2P DOA so I'll try that and see where I can go from there. If I like it,
I'll get DOA5U. At first, DOA put me off due to its over the top sexuality and it's kinda embarrassing to play a game like that lol. But the gameplay of DOA sounds interesting so I'll give it a try.

Egon_Spengler said on August 23, 2013 at 2:33 p.m.

If I already unlocked every costume and character in DOA5, will that same content already be unlocked in DOA5U?

anthonygamer said on August 23, 2013 at 4:38 p.m.

#67 no.

KwRIOT said on August 23, 2013 at 7:43 p.m.

Girls get a load of great costumes.

Guys get same tuxedo in three colors. Done.

Dreamcastman19 said on August 24, 2013 at 12:49 a.m.

ugh, some of you guys are just soo friggin lazy. "What? I gotta unlock costumes?! WAH!!! Why can't I be stupid and lazy and just PAY for them instead?!" What happening to gaming where all the goodies in a game were earned? Would you people rather pay for it? Jeez, all you have to do is PLAY THE GAME! Its not like theyre asking you to make a blunt sacrifice to a cult.

MuMuGuy said on August 24, 2013 at 7:32 a.m.

Just because Team Ninja claimed that they improved the netcode from DOA5 doesn't mean that they'll improve it at all or enough. Look at how laggy IGAU is even after the "2 years they spent working on IGAU's online functionality" according to Ed Boon. DOA5 was unplayable online even after the netcode patch.

The servers in DOA5 were so awful that it seems as if they are located in the middle of Antarctica and are powered by hamsters on wheels and the hamsters got tired.

InitialR said on August 24, 2013 at 12:59 p.m.