Posted by Jonathan 'Catalyst' Grey • August 19, 2013 at 7:06 p.m. PDT
Combofiend shares SNES Street Fighter 2 series memories, talks about how combos and cross ups were unintentional glitches The Capcom Fighters crew released a video today to celebrate the SNES re-releases of the Street Fighter 2 series of games on the Wii U.

Combofiend discusses some of his memories from these titles and the mechanics that were discovered through the years; notably that combos and cross ups were unintentional glitches, but have of course become a staple in many fighting games since.

Also, feel free to jump into the comments and share some of your favorite memories while playing the Street Fighter 2 series of games. Hit the jump to check out the video, and leave a comment with your experiences.

Comments

Memanruler said on August 19, 2013 at 7:18 p.m.

Combofiend sounds like he just woke up.

Wardog said on August 19, 2013 at 7:19 p.m.

I've always wondering about this since I was young... what the heck is that thing on the main menu before you press start, on street fighter 2 turbo?lol

I always thought it's was some guy with some long nose wearing big glasses.lol Thanks

TheTHCGamer said on August 19, 2013 at 7:37 p.m.

SF2 was so popular that it cost 79.99 thats 20 dollars more than most SNES games. On top of that good luck finding a copy the first few weeks it was released I had to look everywhere.

TheDeadTexan said on August 19, 2013 at 7:49 p.m.

I spent my childhood at the Montgomery Ward at the mall because they had SF2 on their SNES display 24/7.

CyberAthlete said on August 19, 2013 at 7:49 p.m.

Just so many memories

sinnido said on August 19, 2013 at 7:54 p.m.

when's hyper fighting? :((( really wish the hyper fighting arcade port on xbl had a better online experience.

nuts said on August 19, 2013 at 7:57 p.m.

I remember each of these cartridges going for near $70 because SF was so in demand.

Yarott said on August 19, 2013 at 8:09 p.m.

Wasn't SSF2: The New Fighters the one that had an 8-Man Tournament mode?

Stickyresin said on August 19, 2013 at 8:10 p.m.

People need to stop referring to SF2 combos as "glitches". Unintentional, yes, as they didn't specifically program in combos. But combos aren't anything that needs to be programmed, it's just a natural consequence of having moves with high hitstun advantage. So while they may not have planned combos as being part of the game, it was certainly not a glitch. Same with crossups.

aubergine said on August 19, 2013 at 8:11 p.m.

Capcom was really smart hiring Combofiend because he has such universal appeal. Good personality, very knowledgable, intelligent... and damn good at the games he talks about too.

Xykes said on August 19, 2013 at 8:12 p.m.

It wasn't just the demand that made the games cost so much.

Higher memory cartridge games simply cost more money. These weren't CDs or DVDs.

I remember the Genesis version of SSF2 had 40 Megs, so it cost a lot. I believe the SNES version had 32 Megs.

aabib12 said on August 19, 2013 at 8:31 p.m.

bunny said on August 19, 2013 at 8:37 p.m.

i remember coming across that old code to enable mirror matches great times .

bunny said on August 19, 2013 at 8:41 p.m.

piece of sh!t spammer get a real job @ 12

A_Hung_Gentleman said on August 19, 2013 at 8:41 p.m.

I remember when Super 2 came out my cousin bought it, and it took us like a month to get Supers to go off. (we were like 8 and 10)

bunny said on August 19, 2013 at 8:45 p.m.

ha i had the same problems figuring out the supers in AOF back in the day good memories

kara said on August 19, 2013 at 9:14 p.m.

gammabolt17 said on August 19, 2013 at 9:19 p.m.

It was indeed.

Turbo is the SNES version of Hyper Fighting.

Hexelf said on August 19, 2013 at 9:47 p.m.

Super SF2 and Hyper Fighting are both <3

sinnido said on August 19, 2013 at 10:17 p.m.

i know. they were never full ports from the arcade. even the music took a dip in sound quality. the xbl port is great just has an awful netcode that never got patched up and no one cares about hf anymore. </3

RandomSelectMaster said on August 19, 2013 at 10:23 p.m.

I remember the love of SF2. It made the fighting game community happen. Ahhh... anyway, I think I may know whom the 5th character for USF4 is... it's Hakan's wife!

sergio_reyes_ said on August 19, 2013 at 11:53 p.m.

this games is classic

rob7979 said on August 20, 2013 at 12:29 a.m.

I have such great memories of playing SF2 world warrior, turbo and super. My main memory was thinking Ryu ruled and then getting mauled by some guile player in the arcades and having my eyes opened as to how to build charge back moves into gameplay.

Having said all that it makes me realise how awesome today's situation is with online play and in depth knowledge online for each fighter.

JIHADJOE said on August 20, 2013 at 4:28 a.m.

Links may not have been glitches, but cancels were.

disp said on August 20, 2013 at 5 a.m.

I remember trading the SNES SF2 cartridge for the SF2 Turbo one in grade school. I felt I cheated on the guy, but he wanted it.

samuraix025 said on August 20, 2013 at 5:03 a.m.

I'll just leave this here... http://www.change.org/petitions/capco...

MentalFloss said on August 20, 2013 at 6:14 a.m.

I still fondly remember the day at 8 on the Break, my buddy SixButtons (who some in the early tourney scene may know of well) showed me my first SF2 cancel which he called the "magic foot" lol. It was basically just Ryu's low forward > Fireball. But at the time it was like OMG how does that work! (after seeing him do the low forward on screen then the fireball come out after he had taken his hand off the joystick)

I also not so fondly remember the day I experienced my first player who utilized cross-ups (on purpose). He was a Ken player and I remember getting so swoll because I couldn't figure out why I couldn't block his jump-ins consistently. :D

deteknician said on August 20, 2013 at 6:58 a.m.

Great commercial I mean memories.

Liamis1337 said on August 20, 2013 at 7:50 a.m.

Correct me if I'm wrong but these look like the SNES versions of the games. I played the sh1t out of these when I was a kid but I would like to see arcade versions on a system these days.

Liamis1337 said on August 20, 2013 at 7:56 a.m.

nevermind...I missed the snes in the title.

SillyGoose said on August 20, 2013 at 2:25 p.m.

@9 Being able to cancel normal attacks into special moves was an unintentional glitch no matter how you try to dress it up.

RedRapperSux said on August 21, 2013 at 10:45 a.m.

It's Hakans new born son.