Posted by Jonathan 'Catalyst' Grey • August 11, 2013 at 2:08 p.m. PDT
Rage quitter removal: Tekken Revolution players getting banned for disconnecting Namco Bandai is taking a more direct approach for people who decide to pull the plug early when playing Tekken Revolution online. While Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 features a disconnecter hell which pits people who quit early against each other, Namco Bandai decided to outright ban some players who have over 200 disconnects while playing online.

Namco's Katsuhiro Harada said that they have a detection system on the PlayStation Network and official server logs, and they're checking the number of times someone cuts out just before losing.

We have disconnecter Detect program system and official Server log from PSN. We have banned only "over 200 disconnecter" (It is a very very small number in this world).

We are checking "the number of times of cutting just before losing, " and it is not a problem of only the number of match. We are investigating to the frequency and timing.

And we can see "which is disconnected" sever data, but if you say "it's just natural disconnected!", we will still re-investigate.

Source: Harada's Twitter.

Comments

USAtlas said on August 11, 2013 at 2:11 p.m.

Finally.

Virtua_Kazama said on August 11, 2013 at 2:12 p.m.

People getting penalized for rage quitting. Not bad.

YouDontKnowMe said on August 11, 2013 at 2:13 p.m.

If only Injustice had this...

OhYouDontSayThat said on August 11, 2013 at 2:14 p.m.

props, i just hope they can accurately tell the difference between bad connections and actually quitters.

Gillstolemyride said on August 11, 2013 at 2:17 p.m.

I'd love that in USF4

Pharaoh_Amaranth said on August 11, 2013 at 2:19 p.m.

Finally. Way too many people rage quit on this game and hadn't been penalized. Played one 12 win streak Law player, kicked his behind, and right before I won the last match, he quit.

Went up against him mere moments later and it still had his same 12 win streak displayed, and he quit out again. lol

DolphinButter said on August 11, 2013 at 2:22 p.m.

I've been having trouble keeping a connection during some of my sessions, and I'm sure it has something to do with the game itself. I would disconnect from my opponent after both of us attack, thus indicating that neither of us had a hand free to pull the plug; I would then be awarded a win without exiting the ranked match search. After finding another match, it would be with the same person, and I'd see that they were awarded a win as well. I can only infer that neither of us were in the wrong.

Recently, I've been logged out of PSN entirely because of some issues with my modem, and I've only seen the message window that indicates a true, active disconnect once. However, the message told me my disconnect rate was at 3%, which is way higher than the one time I've disconnected and had it counted as a loss; especially considering that, at the time, I had already played well over 500 matches. So, give or take, Tekken Revolution believes I already disconnected roughly 15 times.

Obviously, this is purely anecdotal evidence, but as #4 has said, I hope they're able to distinguish what is actually a rage quit. Regardless, it's a good idea to ban quitters. I'm having a ton of fun with the game and would hate to have it soured by some bad apples.

JiFoJoka said on August 11, 2013 at 2:25 p.m.

At first I thought this was bad for accidental disconnections. But >200 disconnects, that's a ton!

I hope more fighting games would use this 'ban-hammer system'!

FrederickBadguy said on August 11, 2013 at 2:26 p.m.

Now all the other fighting games need this.

M1Punk said on August 11, 2013 at 2:27 p.m.

I'm glad they're able to experiment with the new penalty because of the F2P model. Banning someone who payed $60 for the game would be hilarious (if guilty).

Super_Shoto_Fighter_4 said on August 11, 2013 at 2:27 p.m.

What I like to hear.

Wardog said on August 11, 2013 at 2:34 p.m.

That's sad. People won't take their beating like a man/women and just rage quit. Let's just hope innocent people with bad connection don't get effected by this. Good work Namco!

200! Wow, that's sad.

victv1 said on August 11, 2013 at 2:36 p.m.

can they make this for injustice also plz

bushin_dunks said on August 11, 2013 at 2:36 p.m.

this is perfect.

6748 said on August 11, 2013 at 2:37 p.m.

ok this is retarded what happens if someone disconnects by accident or internet goes down wtf? retarded ass decision

MentalFloss said on August 11, 2013 at 2:41 p.m.

@15 200 times though? C'mon now...
Retarded ass comment in my opinion.

MetroCityPub said on August 11, 2013 at 2:41 p.m.

You're better off playing offline if you somehow 'disconnect by accident' or your 'internet goes down' more than 200 times.

Naturally it's safe to assume you're doing it on purpose.

Wardog said on August 11, 2013 at 2:41 p.m.

thomaslight said on August 11, 2013 at 2:44 p.m.

This is great. Thank you Harada.

Xul said on August 11, 2013 at 2:44 p.m.

BallTapper said on August 11, 2013 at 2:45 p.m.

as long as your internet dosnt go down 35 consecutive times in the span of an hour i would imagine you would be fine

TrueGamingGuru said on August 11, 2013 at 2:47 p.m.

This is a good idea, but the only thing I do hope they check between bad internet connection & rage quitters so it doesn't become a future problem for players that didn't rage quit. So that people who do have a bad internet connection will not be penalize, (which would not be good) so that all the rage quitters can do is suffer when they are penalized.

Obanye said on August 11, 2013 at 2:53 p.m.

Great move. Bye there is a bug in TR currently where sometime the match will just drop for no reason when no one pulled, but in that case both players count as a win. Also no more TR for me, went back to TTTT, you don't learn much playing invincible and lazer spammers even when you win every time.

okay said on August 11, 2013 at 2:58 p.m.

Charge $20 for accounts to be unbanned. Make more money off of the lamers.

PureEvilJ said on August 11, 2013 at 3 p.m.

wow this is pretty amazing i just hope they really can tell the difference between bad connection and a actually "rage quit"

PropLeXed said on August 11, 2013 at 3:02 p.m.

I don't even play Tekken but good stuff, about time something like this was introduced and I hope more games adopt this.

ultimateloss said on August 11, 2013 at 3:04 p.m.

If they had this in Injustice then about half of the players would be banned :D also I think this is very awesome. I like TR, but I don't see how people can get mad enough about losing in a game like this to intentionally quit over 200 times

XxkakashixX53 said on August 11, 2013 at 3:06 p.m.

If your connection is that bad I don't think you should be playing online anyways...

This is good and most fighting games need this.

TheTHCGamer said on August 11, 2013 at 3:08 p.m.

@23 Maybe some people should stop borrowing Internet and people with really bad connections should be penalized. I can't stand running into players who have terrible connections with any fighting game I play online. You don't need the best Internet but do everyone a favor (including yourself) by trying to have a solid online experience.

I feel if the match ends due to your poor connection it should count as a loss. Not everyone has a bad connection to the point where its not even worth playing online but some people do. If I lagged bad on a regular basis I wouldn't even bother playing online but that's just me.

Blazur said on August 11, 2013 at 3:10 p.m.

This is outright awesome! It's about time a developer took a more strict stance against this despicable behavior. I'm running into some players on Injustice ranked with 200+ disconnects. It's pathetic.

kirbykirbykirby said on August 11, 2013 at 3:13 p.m.

Marvel 3 on the vita has crazy rage quits.

AAK said on August 11, 2013 at 3:15 p.m.

This doesn't really mean much since PSN is free and they can just make an alt account.

Hackstermatrix said on August 11, 2013 at 3:22 p.m.

I have a bad connection and it's only a coincidence it only disconnects when I'm about to make my comeback.
If anyone should complain it's me!!!

TheTHCGamer said on August 11, 2013 at 3:24 p.m.

@33 But it does if that person is trying to build up there rank and a good majority of people disconnect because they're trying to achieve a better rank. That's why a good chunk of players that are ranked near the top in fighting games are disconnectors.

I know online rank doesn't mean s*** but the point remains that players will disconnect to keep there rank.

shadowhumane said on August 11, 2013 at 3:26 p.m.

now if tekken tag 2 has the same idea and blazblue street fighter injusice

Lockm said on August 11, 2013 at 3:29 p.m.

They are not just checking how many times one disconnects, but also when they disconnect during a match. If someone disconnects often but it is at a beginning of a match then that would not fall into the parameters given by the Disconnect Detect Program. So for someone to have atleast 200 disconnects within those parameters is pretty damn small, and they do deserve to be banned.

TheTHCGamer said on August 11, 2013 at 3:31 p.m.

@34 lol I know right so many people have that same issue I've noticed.

Aluppoj said on August 11, 2013 at 3:32 p.m.

Meh, just show their disconnect % like SF4.

We can make up our own minds. IMHO

PropLeXed said on August 11, 2013 at 3:34 p.m.

I agree with this, there's no way someones internet should be that bad that they disconnect like 200 times and get wrongly banned. If someone is disconnecting that much then maybe they shouldn't be playing online.

FightDirty said on August 11, 2013 at 3:34 p.m.

Yeh, if you disconnect from a match over 200 times, each time it is while you're getting your butt kicked and just before you were about to lose the game then that's not an accident. That's being a serial rage quitter. It wouldn't take much effort by people monitoring the online system to catch that pattern.

Boosters ---> Banned!
Rage quitters ---> Banned!

Life is good.

Devdan said on August 11, 2013 at 3:34 p.m.

Neat. DCers are the worst. I have a pretty lousy connection generally, but I'm definitely not getting disconnected frequently enough that I'd be in any danger.

You'd be surprised how many people care enough about rank to DC. Have you ever fought any of the highest ranked players in VF? Some of them aren't all that great, and considering you can rank down easily in that game...

jpnn80 said on August 11, 2013 at 3:37 p.m.

@Obanye #24: Actually I think it adds some good mind games since you can pull a safe move to entice the opponent to pull the invincible move, and punish him. And I think that the invincible move will be the equivalent of the dragon punch in TxSF, so it may be better to get used to it earlier than later.

illness690 said on August 11, 2013 at 3:39 p.m.

Posthuman15 said on August 11, 2013 at 3:43 p.m.

Hell yes, all rage quitters should be banned for life in every fighting game. if you scrubs cant handle it dont play it.

cikame said on August 11, 2013 at 3:44 p.m.

As long as there is a way to get unbanned, i've been suffering internet problems and am dropping out lots of times a day.

PIMPIzzI said on August 11, 2013 at 3:44 p.m.

lol wtf this is horrible they just take away a bit of your freedom

PropLeXed said on August 11, 2013 at 3:55 p.m.

Taking away the freedom to rage quit when someone's getting wrecked, get a grip man lol.

PIMPIzzI said on August 11, 2013 at 4:01 p.m.

theshredder39 said on August 11, 2013 at 4:03 p.m.

Good idea, but Tekken Revolution isn't the only game that needs this, probably every online video game ever plus I honestly think 200 times is a little too generous, 100 times is more like it.

tavarez said on August 11, 2013 at 4:05 p.m.

xShonuffx said on August 11, 2013 at 4:15 p.m.

@50 This.

I too think 200 is a bit too much wiggle room. The gap needs to be closed so the Rage quitter is not saying "Oh, I have a good 170 DC left so I should be good for awhile." They need to know that each DC inches them closer to a permanent ban and the sooner the better.

You want to deter DC's not just let them run ramped only to be banned months later.

Remember some Rage quitters are not habitual quitters they just quit because they are mad at a specific game. Those are the ones you should discourage as there are more salty players like that then a person who just does nothing but quit games when they lose.

BlackMasamune said on August 11, 2013 at 4:15 p.m.

Right, you disconnect over 200 times right before you lose a match in game that's a couple of months old, and it's you connection? Please.

Good ish on Namco, rage quitting punishment should be mandatory for all fighters.

Paradonyx said on August 11, 2013 at 4:18 p.m.

@49 No they shouldn't, so stop talking with your head up your
a**. Thank you.

jpnn80 said on August 11, 2013 at 4:26 p.m.

@illness690 #44 if you pissed enough at people using invincible and lasers to call them spammers, then it means you didn't think of using some safe moves to block the invincible and punish their long recovery, as well as reacting quickly enough to duck ground lasers or side step flying lasers and punish their recovery too.

ZOMBIEMEGAMAN said on August 11, 2013 at 4:32 p.m.

LarenzW said on August 11, 2013 at 4:33 p.m.

Well, time to boot this back up, main reason I stop p
laying, too many DCers.

Batmang said on August 11, 2013 at 4:42 p.m.

Love it. DCers be like "Harada-san pls. BibleThump"

Hopefully more developers adapt similar methods of dealing with DCing scumbags in the future.

Raven said on August 11, 2013 at 4:46 p.m.

I'd prefer a ragequitter hell where you get to redeem yourself if you don't disconnect much.

You got a lot of sore losers and I agree they should get penalized, just not permanently. Disconnects are too circumstantial. US has broad and pretty bad internet compared to other countries.

I think if certain patterns are detected, it makes sense to temporarily punish people with a 3 strike system.

1) If you disconnect with less than 30-50% health 20 times, you get banned for a month.
2) If you disconnect with less than 30-50% health 20 times (again), you get banned for 90 days.
3) If you disconnect with less than 30-50% health 20 times (a third time), you get banned for a year.

Jing22 said on August 11, 2013 at 4:57 p.m.

Finally someone actually taking the risk to penalize quitters. I've always had this suspicion that the only reasons they didn't was because they didn't care and didn't want players to stop playing their games.

DarkPhoenixRises said on August 11, 2013 at 5:04 p.m.

Nope... I have no sympathy or remorse for a chronic rage quitter, its not the worst thing you can do in the world, but its pretty pathetic its just a game so take the lost... funny thing is 100% of the time a rage quitter feels like they are the ones being cheated because they are so awesome... I don't like entitled individuals, and wish every single game in this world would adopt a ban for rage quitters...if you have a sucky connection that labels you a rage quitter then you're kind of annoying too so the re-investigation is a fit punishment.

IareBeStayDrunk said on August 11, 2013 at 5:05 p.m.

After reading every comment here is my input. (->v-> PPP)

but no seriously. a third of the the commenters are a illiterate and reading the passage was too much to handle, If they tried they failed to understand a very simple concept. i.e.

"That's why there's should be a three strike warning. That should be fair, just in case you power went out for a second and its wasn't your fault then you got two more strikes, to give you a chance without getting instant or temporary ban." ?????????? err... so what give them 600 chances?

A third of the commenters (probably less) are clearly the habitual SwiftRage quitters that we all know and send the "lol" message immediately after it happens. i.e

"People should be able to do whatever they want to. What's next banning someone for 'spamming' a move?" F yo freedom, Id have freedom to punch you in the face if you were next to me getting angry at a video game.

lastly, Im happy to know of that very loose 1/3's breakown that the majority of said 1/3's have an actual head on their shoulders and not a bottle cap. i.e.

"I like this , Tekken Revolution doing good sh1t step by step."

^ why doesnt everyone have this same opinion"

Got a problem, feel free to rant at me.

bigjbilly said on August 11, 2013 at 5:06 p.m.

Rage quitting is hard to define. Sometimes if the other persons internet is so terrible I rage from teh lag fever...over 200x right before losing......lol jk

Strider_Hien said on August 11, 2013 at 5:18 p.m.

@49 Not sure if srs.You should never ragequit,under any circumstances(unless it's an emergency).You want to be free and do whatever?!? Play Arcade Mode,Practice....Online is for matchmaking and good sportsmanship.FCK Rage-quitters! >:|

Cammystrike said on August 11, 2013 at 5:20 p.m.

Injustice really needs something like this. That game is rage quit central. I'm not one of those guys that think making someone rage quit is something to be proud of, I'd rather have the actual win.

I'm sure people that rage quit get much more satisfaction out of the match then I do for being rage quit on.

RA_MO said on August 11, 2013 at 5:30 p.m.

I honestly do not see the point of rage quitting on Tekken Revolution.. There is not even a visible win/loss % for the game. Unless it allows you to not waste a ticket on a loss then that makes more sense but even then, it is not the end of the world...

Wardog said on August 11, 2013 at 5:39 p.m.

Dude, I was talking about for the people with bad connection or sometimes get power outages... that they don't be accuse of rage quitting. Next time read the post, instead of scanning threw it.

Green016 said on August 11, 2013 at 5:52 p.m.

AE/Ultra should do this but I know it'll never happen sadly. There's no doubt it's the game that suffers most from the ragequitting losers. The less of them the better for everyone.

KwRIOT said on August 11, 2013 at 6:09 p.m.

Thank you, Harada.

Dingofist said on August 11, 2013 at 6:14 p.m.

Good stuff, Namco. Good stuff, Harada-san. Loads of people rage-quitting in this game all the time. It's already nice that the game recognizes disconnects and gives you a win if they bail...this is even better!

SoulBroRyu said on August 11, 2013 at 6:18 p.m.

Should be 10 discos, but I appreciate that it's in the game. Harada, you continue to handle business.

Btw, do your opponent a huge favor and make sure to play on a rock solid connection. I can't imagine playing on anything less than being directly connected by ethernet.

MentalFloss said on August 11, 2013 at 6:20 p.m.

I'm starting to get the feeling the only people complaining in here are ragequitters themselves. Anyone else?

TheTHCGamer said on August 11, 2013 at 6:35 p.m.

Yea 200 disconnects is WAY too lenient it should be between 70 and 100. If it was up to me it would be 50 disconnects which would force them use a new account if they wanted to keep play.

LarenzW said on August 11, 2013 at 7:25 p.m.

Out of curiousity, does anyone else play without stats? I might be the only one, 17 million and nothing to use on. *sighs*

ReddChief said on August 11, 2013 at 7:26 p.m.

FINALLY!! something is being done to eliminate the scrubs now only if other companies follow suit

Rising_Jaguar said on August 11, 2013 at 7:29 p.m.

harada holmes comin in~

TrueGamingGuru said on August 11, 2013 at 7:46 p.m.

@30 I understand that you can't stand with people having very terrible internet severs, but there are certain fighter games that lets you choose the connection filter so that way you don't have to deal with players with terrible internet. why should people with a bad internet connection be penalized? You got to really understand people's situation, because not every one is going to have the best of severs. There are billions of people living across the world not everyone lives in the city because people could be living in the country side, villages, and the middle of nowhere (aka desert).

Heres the thing not everyone can achieve the solid online experiences from certain TV/Phone/Internet services, people living with a metal stick on top of your house as your TV/Internet service, (those things can really suck, hope you like to wait for it to load like 30 minutes to go to your facebook) living in certain areas where the best online experience you could get is going to another city when that's not what everyone would be living, or what about the really bad weather having to deal with heavy rain/snow which makes your internet jumpy.

Even if you chose to not bother playing online due to lag, what about the other people do you think they should the same thing like what you would do? Because people can really decide to still play online despite if they don't have a 5-star internet.

Here is another thing what if your game or system decides to freeze on you during online play, do you think that is fair to penalize people over something they didn't expect or has no control over. What if someone's game glitch from moving cameras all the wrong places (aka no control over the camera), black screen, or something that makes the game to start having bugs should people be penalized because of these annoying problems? Sometimes even the games themselves might end up with online problems, or your game system will end up having problems. What if someone's router decides to disconnect that player (even without doing anything at all) should that player be penalized?

Keep that stuff in mind when it comes to these situation.

gluemchen said on August 11, 2013 at 9:02 p.m.

Now this kind of involvement i support fully.

BigFleccs said on August 11, 2013 at 9:21 p.m.

I don't care as long as it knows im not the one who quit. I have had quite a few DC on me.

put_Garuda_in_SFIV said on August 11, 2013 at 9:25 p.m.

200 is too much. They should reduce it to only 30. Well, maybe 50

DyingDeath7 said on August 11, 2013 at 9:48 p.m.

More fighting games should do this, rage quit = ban.

Tensa said on August 11, 2013 at 9:54 p.m.

This needs to be standard

theonlydalauansparrow said on August 11, 2013 at 10:15 p.m.

If someone needs a cheap ass over used character in a fighting game to win.Then im raging...just like I do in sf4 on shotos, top tier and anyone from the derp sf2 cast besides Dee jay...who gives a sh*t it's my decision

SJFox said on August 11, 2013 at 11:07 p.m.

So, no one who's against this ((except probably one)) read on how this is by no means an automated feature and each extreme case is analyzed on a case by case basis before the ban is invoked?

200 DC's and vast majority taking place just before a possible loss is suspicious to me at least.

As for freedoms to ragequit for the sake of boosting, this is NamcoBandai's service. They have the right punish in any way fit those who try to cheat their service. And this right here isn't a bad way to deal with it.

illness690 said on August 11, 2013 at 11:28 p.m.

GodlikeAtheist said on August 11, 2013 at 11:36 p.m.

this is a terrible idea for psn to be honest...you can just make a new acc since its free. if this was xbl i would be all for it. its hard to punish something when the options around it are to open

MentalFloss said on August 12, 2013 at 12:13 a.m.

@86 Again as people have mentioned.. the main reason these jackasses do these things are to protect their W/L ratio and their stats because they apparently care enough about them to ragequit in the first place. Banning them and making them start all over is awesome and I still highly endorse this.

sukurin said on August 12, 2013 at 12:22 a.m.

Why u have to wait for 200?? If u want rid off DCers, and want the game still playing just do it like EA on FIFA 13.
- If u on advantage position i.e win 1 round already but u got DC, nor u and ur opponent lose any points.

- If u on disadvantage position (already lose) but u got DC, then u lose ur point, and ur opponent have point.

Doesn't matter the excuse was ( internet lagging, electricity problem, etc)

I'm sure everybody will happy this way, no need banning account.

Duggs26 said on August 12, 2013 at 12:59 a.m.

It will still work on PSN because people want to keep their gift points, stats etc.

AngryAssassin said on August 12, 2013 at 1:32 a.m.

#58, this doesn't help if you're 1-1 in a fighting game on the final round and they quit when they THINK they're about to lose. You could be at a life disadvantage, but start a good combo (possibly one to turn the match around) and they could quit. Given that, they wouldn't be penalized if they were 1-1 and had more health than you. It's a waste of time and it's annoying. Plus don't you have to use tickets to play a certain amount of matches per set period of time? If these get used up it's a huge waste.

FIFA is different. Soccer games can end 1-0, that's not extraordinary. You can't quit make that comparison with a fighting game. Banning seems a bit extreme, but some people are really bad about being good sports.

colossus said on August 12, 2013 at 6:58 a.m.

If Injustice had this don't you think that nobody would left playing it...

worldrunner said on August 12, 2013 at 7:06 a.m.

You have to hope that all games will do this in the future. At the very least a disconnect % is really all That's needed. Players who have a 3% or more disconnect rate are going to have a hard time finding people to play them anyway.

Portal23 said on August 12, 2013 at 10:32 a.m.

For those people who are complaining about this, it is understandable due to power outage but if you constantly DC due to your internet connection, do you think it is about time to get better internet instead of blaming at your bad connection.

shades_of_grey said on August 12, 2013 at 11:20 a.m.

Wow....at least you're honest. The issue is that when you disconnect, it's not against AI's, it's against another person, so you lower the quality of their experience. No one wants to fight sore losers and Harada knows this, so he's trying to do something about it. Yes you can play the game you bought however the hell you want, but there are consequences.

Diablowarrior said on August 12, 2013 at 11:37 a.m.

ban them bitches or incorporate a throw in the towel button if ur getting bashed and wanna save ur fighter throw in that towel lmao

otakujin said on August 12, 2013 at 1:18 p.m.

placing RQ vs RQ is ok but bans are going too far. Do you guys want to lose customers?

Jake_da_Thrilla said on August 12, 2013 at 2:28 p.m.

I'm personally down with this, thought I think that a happy medium would be for a ban to be in place if there is an x number of disconnected in a certain time period.

RandomSelectMaster said on August 12, 2013 at 4:15 p.m.

Banned is a bit extensive considering sometimes the Internet connection themselves can go down which is not your fault. If the system is smart enough to know the difference between turning off your game/system manually as compared to a Internet hiccup, I am all for this!

jnw93 said on August 16, 2013 at 8:07 a.m.

not 1 rage quit on me yet
but coool

NewSense said on September 15, 2013 at 8:39 p.m.

I was fighting a brawler level or Fighter level player with the same character as mine.H was pretty good but his connection, I assume, started lagging a lot.I beat him,got a gift, resumed a new search and during the waiting match, I got a prompt saying the fight did not end as intended or something like that. I dont remember if this was a promotion match. I did not disconnect, yet I was told my disconnection rate is @ 3%. I have never disconnected, I keep all my losses and im a newb @ LV15 experience I dont get it. Why am I being penalize?

NewSense said on September 16, 2013 at 1:18 a.m.

AGAIN!!???? IT HAPPENED!! I won the match fair and square then I resumed a new search. I went to the waiting/loading computer match and then the game went back to the main push start screen and now I got a prompt that says I have a current disconnection rate of 6.7% WTFFFF BITCH ASS RAGE QUITTERS!! I dont understand. I hope I'm getting it wrong. I hope this I'm not getting penalized for what someone else is doing.

Load more comments