Street Fighter Legacy: Assassin's Fist Kick Starter campaign launched - target goal $950,000

Posted by Steven 'Dreamking23' Chavez • April 8, 2013 at 9:10 a.m. PDT
The guys behind the Street Fighter Legacy series have opened up a Kick Starter campaign in order to fund their latest project, Street Fighter Legacy: Assassin's Fist. Unlike the first SF Legacy project, this iteration will be a series of episodes and will involve Ryu, Ken, Akuma and Gouken.

The target amount they are looking to raise is £625,000, ($950,000 USD). If you decide to donate a bit of money, there are a bevy of rewards you can receive such as access to their production blog, t-shirts, a DVD collection containing the series episodes, the battle gloves worn by Ken and Ryu, the Akuma beads prop and more.

The Kick Starter will end on May 3 at 8 p.m. EDT / 5 p.m. PDT / 1 a.m. GMT. Check out the video below for more information and hit the jump to see the original Street Fighter Legacy short film.

Via IGN. Tips by rizz72, Villest1, Cylentkila, Frank and a few anonymous readers.

Comments

A4headedninja said on April 8, 2013 at 9:21 a.m.

Dude loks like Tom cruz lol

Guybrush20X6 said on April 8, 2013 at 9:23 a.m.

I've already kickstarted and indigogoed a bunch of projects recently so I'm a bit strapped for cash. I wish them the best of luck anyway.

GokaiGreen said on April 8, 2013 at 9:29 a.m.

ShinOwen said on April 8, 2013 at 9:29 a.m.

I would like the beads and T-shirt.

Major_Dog said on April 8, 2013 at 9:35 a.m.

caloge said on April 8, 2013 at 9:36 a.m.

EDIT: these kickstarters are complete trash. They have funding, they have capcom backing, and they are panhandling to fans for a million bucks? come on, do they have no shame.

Big time pass.

CoNr said on April 8, 2013 at 9:39 a.m.

I am normally one to support things like this, but it just seems a bit un original.. first we had MK legacy which was amazing, and just seems these guys are jumping on that bandwagon... even using the legacy name.

Diamondis said on April 8, 2013 at 9:43 a.m.

Too many, too fast. Unless something spectacular shows up on kickstarter/indiegogo I'll be passing on the rest of them.

illness690 said on April 8, 2013 at 9:53 a.m.

NABFear said on April 8, 2013 at 10:01 a.m.

Whoever plays Gouken needs to be built like a tank, not like the guys playing Ryu & Ken. No normal man stands up and shakes the ground, or continues to shake the ground everytime he moves a limb. He's the master for a reason.

sirfuxballz said on April 8, 2013 at 10:12 a.m.

Splack said on April 8, 2013 at 10:12 a.m.

SOrry bro we just gave our coins to skull girls

Tensa said on April 8, 2013 at 10:33 a.m.

@6 If capcom was backing them I doubt they would need to do this, anyways too many kick starters for me

ROSHINOBI said on April 8, 2013 at 10:42 a.m.

@12 Skull Girls Really..lol...If it wasn't for Street fighter 4 reviving the genre that indie emo piece of crap would still be an after thought...you should want to support all things Street fighter...spend your coins where they count kid. With that said i'll contribute without a doubt, this series is the best live action adaptation of street fighter ever, lets not forget that horrible 90's film and that whack azz legend of chun li, so you all should want to support this awesome project.

Donald_K_Bahls said on April 8, 2013 at 10:48 a.m.

Sf will never work as a live-action film. The stakes are not high enough, and the characters are not based on common story archetypes. Ryu doesn't want to save the world. He's motivated by an inward journey, which doesn't work on film. Ken fights to be better than Ryu. Blanka can't be in the film unless you make him a Golem like cgi character, which costs a lot and again why is Blanka fighting?

ROSHINOBI said on April 8, 2013 at 10:51 a.m.

@7 You got it backwards my friend Street fighter Legacy came out first...so in actuality MK Legacy is the trend following(un original )...and there's nothing wrong with that cause it in the same is an awesome series.

Guybrush20X6 said on April 8, 2013 at 10:52 a.m.

@15 Ryu usually fits in the plot as one of Bison's goals, due to his incredible ki and whatnot. I think Street Fighter would work as an anime series focusing on Ryu but for a movie it would need to focus on Chun-li... If only they didn't balls that one up last time.

Aluppoj said on April 8, 2013 at 10:54 a.m.

SinCity. That's how you do Street Fighter.

ReddChief said on April 8, 2013 at 11:52 a.m.

@#14
YES Skullgirls its a video game we can actually play and enjoy plus perks and SF4 reviving means it just revived SF Mize Z been planning what became to be Skullgirls before there was even a SF4 Capcom doesnt need money SF games WILL be made nobody cares about a garbage bootleg webshow there is nothing awesome about this it doesnt effect SF at all except making it look bad buying OFFICIAL SF games DLC and merchandise is spending your coins where it counts because if this was worth a damn Capcom would fund it themselves OK

dro2191 said on April 8, 2013 at 11:56 a.m.

good luck to those guys, i know they can do it

Bigall said on April 8, 2013 at 12:03 p.m.

Assassin's fist kick!!! ^^

YouDontKnowMe said on April 8, 2013 at 12:21 p.m.

I'm going to open a Kick Starter to raise money to buy Kick Starter and shut it down.... Seriously, if you want people to give you money for a project or product then treat me like an investor and be willing to share the profits proportionately, not "access to your blog".

Portal23 said on April 8, 2013 at 12:33 p.m.

not interested

Hypermarth said on April 8, 2013 at 12:47 p.m.

Yeah.... I've seen enough Ryu, Ken and Akuma online....

xanderglz said on April 8, 2013 at 1:24 p.m.

Existent said on April 8, 2013 at 1:28 p.m.

Punctuation. Use it.

Anyway I'm not sure why this is getting so much hate just because Skullgirls did it first. They weren't the first to have crowdfunding.

xanderglz said on April 8, 2013 at 1:57 p.m.

misdaa said on April 8, 2013 at 2:07 p.m.

#22 gets it

They take 0 risk because they get funding beforehand, but take all of the reward.

If I'm taking the risk of funding I deserve to get a return on my investment. Not read a blog while you take free cash.

WorstGiefEVER said on April 8, 2013 at 2:19 p.m.

Where are the Prime Time Playas?

MILLIONS O DOLLAS

MILLIONS O DOLLAS

MILLIONS O DOLLAS

MILLIONS O DOLLAS

MILLIONS O DOLLAS

edrigo said on April 8, 2013 at 2:30 p.m.

Mk legacy if i'm correct got kicked off by that amazing theatrical trailer for the movie they wanted to make. The web series was made but that trailer was mad hype it also came out before mk9 so people were genuinley happy to see anything mk related before then. I think they need to put out more teasers or trailers of stuff personally, cause i remember even non fighting gamers were hype for the mk trailer.

i208khonsu said on April 8, 2013 at 2:31 p.m.

Personally I've enjoyed Thousand Pounds' SF videos a lot more than legacy. Incorporate Thousand Pounds, get Reuben Langdon to play Ken and have Christian "Tom Cruse" Howard play Guy instead.

BumblebeeCody said on April 8, 2013 at 2:34 p.m.

@i208khonsu #31
And Morgan Freeman as Sakura

EXCh33ky said on April 8, 2013 at 2:40 p.m.

Simply amazing LOL

2101RYU said on April 8, 2013 at 3:08 p.m.

i'm so tired of these live action street fighter boyhood power fantasy vanity projects. ryu, ken and akuma played by three whoevers grimacing in some woods down the street from their house, pretending to throw a fireball while generic orchestral score plays. who cares. who cares. stop it. this has been done a million times in a million forms, and all of them are still going to be better than what two amateur filmmakers are going to be able to accomplish on a shoestring budget.

things like this are, to me, basically the equivalent of that star wars kid video on youtube. it's just juvenile self-indulgence. if you're capable artists then please go do something more worthwhile with your time. really, i'd love to see it.

Shinebox said on April 8, 2013 at 3:13 p.m.

Street Fighter Legacy did come first it's just that Mortal Kombat Legacy was far better.

FightDirty said on April 8, 2013 at 3:33 p.m.

Everybody with their hands out is getting old real fast. How about creating a product that people will want and finding funding somehow. I'm not saying that crowdfunding doesn't have it's uses, but it's starting to look like San Francisco on a sunny afternoon.

TOO MANY BEGGARS.

cikame said on April 8, 2013 at 3:45 p.m.

Would Ryu be wandering through the forest again again?

I'm sorry, but Street Fighter characters are very boring to me.

Dark_Obliske said on April 8, 2013 at 4:29 p.m.

@14 another capcom fan boy raises

umeshoryu89 said on April 8, 2013 at 4:33 p.m.

yo this ammount of money is crazy.

Boogityboy said on April 8, 2013 at 4:58 p.m.

maxs2d2ace said on April 8, 2013 at 5:46 p.m.

i wish them luck but come on, Get real.

Doktor42 said on April 8, 2013 at 6:20 p.m.

I don't see it happening, but I don't think people should be so quick to dismiss the cost as greedy, especially since I'm fairly certain nobody whose actually commenting about it really knows how much something like this would cost.

I'm a little iffy, as I want to give my money to Ghost of a Tail and I already gave some to Skullgirls, but I think I might at least throw $10 at them.

hey said on April 8, 2013 at 6:48 p.m.

This is too expensive of a project, I'm not really sure what they were hoping for.

AveMcree said on April 8, 2013 at 7:01 p.m.

@14 you dont know anything about skullgirl I see because mike has planned that game before SF4 was in process lol!!! and Ive given capcom enough of my money and they will not get a another red cent until they start doing the consumers better by delivering a good game out the box and not updates or even these half azz RE games...... Dmc alone was proof that capcom plain out dont give a crap what people want...... wake up lmao

Vandylizer said on April 8, 2013 at 9:09 p.m.

What's with all the hate on here?
I donated 6 Euros (just under $10) towards a cool looking project.
Why call them beggars? With how successful skullgirls was with their fundraising (and gootecks when he was first starting his Cross Counter fundraising) why not ask the community to provide the means?

I'm tired of seeing trashy street fighter fight scenes. These guys have tons of choreography experience, they look the part, and have good special effects. What more do you guys want?

Plus SF Legacy was released before MK Legacy too, so why call them copycats? Smh...

ROSHINOBI said on April 8, 2013 at 10:51 p.m.

to all that @14 me... <^>-_-<^> CAPCOM 4 LIFE BYOTCHES... also i notice half of you that claim you play skull girls don't even have it listed in your profiles fight tracker...i got one word POSERS!!! get on my level kids...p.s. although i do agree DMC was lack luster...but who cares cause it's all about that Street Fighter.

AveMcree said on April 9, 2013 at 12:34 a.m.

why would a person care about using the fight tracker or any other feature besides the guides on here? lol

rosy said on April 9, 2013 at 1:07 a.m.

Nice. But I think thousandpound is much better. Anyway good luck with the project

rweuioisdf said on April 9, 2013 at 5:50 a.m.

loztkoz said on April 9, 2013 at 11:21 a.m.

Can I donate money to stop terrible projects like these.. I rather donate to the production of another legit anime

Existent said on April 9, 2013 at 10:10 p.m.

Wow. Seriously man? Do I really have to point them out to you?

MyBlock said on April 9, 2013 at 10:11 p.m.

The thing is they acted like the first one was amazing. But dont you remember? It was a huge youtube hype event and then when it came out we got jin kazama and tom cruise touching each others toes at the end.

If the first one was great I can understand all the promotion, but MK Legacy was/is by far better. Also I wonder if they already have a lot of money and they put this up for extra hype/promotion.

Ex_Ein said on April 12, 2013 at 6:28 p.m.

Guys...
MK legacy was backed by Warner Bros(hint a real film production company) to promote MK9.... The original SF legacy short was made by a bunch of dude over about a week of production in between these guys doing normal films.

I'm for this and dropping a good bit..