Posted by Steven 'Dreamking23' Chavez • October 27, 2012 at 12:46 p.m. PDT
Which game would you like to see at Evo 2013? Evolution Championship Series Facebook poll - Super Smash Brothers Melee currently leading A poll recently went up on the official Evolution Championship Series Facebook page asking people to vote for which game they would most like to see added to the official Evo 2013 line up. Included in the choices that can be voted on are such titles as Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition v2012, Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3, Super Smash Brothers Melee and more.

Here is a word about this poll from the Evo Facebook page.

Which fighting game are you most interested in seeing in the official Evo 2013 lineup? Let us know what you think. The top games in this poll aren't guaranteed to make the lineup, but a strong showing certainly wouldn't hurt! Want to see your game at Evo? Try getting your friends to play, or running tournaments are your local video game store or hobby shop. Games which have a broad audience of competitors from around the world will always get our attention!

Below you can check out current standings for the top 6 highest requested games. Interestingly enough, Super Smash Brothers Melee has taken a commanding lead with 4,040 people; even beating out both Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 and Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition v2012.

• Super Smash Brothers Melee - 4,040 people
• King of Fighters 13 - 2,464 people
• Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 - 2, 284
• Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition v2012 - 2,152 people
• Tekken Tag Tournament 2 - 1,800 people
• Persona 4 Arena - 1,665 people

Which games would you guys most like to see added to the official line up next year at Evo 2013? Is there a game that is not on the list that maybe should be added? Leave your thoughts in the comments section below.

Tip by Jookey.

Comments

Tensa said on October 27, 2012 at 12:49 p.m.

dat melee I wouldnt mind smash but I would rather have something new

shadowassault said on October 27, 2012 at 12:51 p.m.

I am mad I looked down that list and I found Final Fantasy X......needless to say, that's not even a fighting game.

I honestly voted my favorite fighting game Tatsunoko vs Capcom, I would like to see that come back so I can actually go and try my heart out at a game that I missed out on the competitive scene in.

Shiragaku said on October 27, 2012 at 12:55 p.m.

How did Melee get so many votes?

BarcelSnacks said on October 27, 2012 at 12:55 p.m.

Sorry but fighting games only.

BarcelSnacks said on October 27, 2012 at 12:57 p.m.

Props to KOF XIII, beating MvC3 and SFIV, also GGXXR has a lot of votes

h1tm0nl33 said on October 27, 2012 at 12:57 p.m.

It's a crime that Melee and SFxT have more Votes than Gundam Battle Assault 2 and Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Fighting Edition.

niggardly said on October 27, 2012 at 1:01 p.m.

J said on October 27, 2012 at 1:04 p.m.

I'd like UMvC3, SSF4AE2012, TTT2, SFxT2013 and then maybe 3S/TvC/CvS2/SC5.

Cauptain said on October 27, 2012 at 1:05 p.m.

WOW...Melee >>>>>>>> SLOW FIGHTER IV in public petition??

Wheres ONO now???

Crapcom, please, release a new and very good STREET FIGHTER.

unsafermike2002 said on October 27, 2012 at 1:07 p.m.

we need this game at evo = Vanguard Princess

Tensa said on October 27, 2012 at 1:08 p.m.

yeah I would like ae2012,umvc3,ttt2,sfxt2013 and ggxxac+r

BarcelSnacks said on October 27, 2012 at 1:09 p.m.

#7 anything is better that super bait reversal IV

NyuBomber said on October 27, 2012 at 1:11 p.m.

Guys, think sensibly for once.

Voting for Marvel and SF4* is like voting for Ryu to make it into a crossover game - they're going to be there, and the votes are better spent elsewhere, and some people realize that.

In addition, Melee's a niche community in an already niche community, thanks to mindsets already on display here. Because of this, its fans are more fervent, and probably organized to drive support. Melee is also the most dynamically unique game from the standard fighter formula on that top 6 line-up, so more people also want it for the unique factor.

*I would've said Capcom games, but SFxT will actually need fan support to make the cut, I think.

Tensa said on October 27, 2012 at 1:16 p.m.

@13 I agree we all know sf/marvel will be there along with tekken its just everything else after that will need support

RoanHen said on October 27, 2012 at 1:16 p.m.

KOF XIII, yeah!

RedCyclone said on October 27, 2012 at 1:21 p.m.

AE & UMVC3 will be main games at Evo next year and every year after that until their sequels are released since everywhere outside of Asia builds up every other game as the next big thing then stops playing it a month after release.

Another tip; if Smash gets in, do not let Mew2King sleep at your house unless you have plastic sheets.

RunningWild said on October 27, 2012 at 1:32 p.m.

genocide_cutter said on October 27, 2012 at 1:32 p.m.

go KOFXIII

Porkstew said on October 27, 2012 at 1:34 p.m.

The FGC has the best trolls. Can't stop laughing at Smash Bros. in first place.

MarLightning said on October 27, 2012 at 1:41 p.m.

SSB Melee??? It got more double votes than SF4: AE. What the... Well, I like SSB Melee much, too, because it's fun.

KoF13 got more votes than SF4:AE... That makes sense because at EVO 12, the crowd got HYPED, so did I.

Hrm said on October 27, 2012 at 1:46 p.m.

It'd be kind of neat to see Melee get in. I've certainly got nothing against it. Don't really see why people gotta hate.

I gotta say though I'm really surprised by all the support out of nowhere.

Regardless, games like MVC2 and the Tekken series were at Evo pretty much every year. I don't see any good reason that Melee doesn't deserve a chance in the spotlight other than it being a non-standard style fighter.

Guybrush20X6 said on October 27, 2012 at 1:51 p.m.

@6 Then I guess I diserve the death penalty for never having heard of them in the first place I guess.

I'm happy to see melee get in but is it a fools hope to believe that Smash 4 will be more competitive friendly?

kirbykirbykirby said on October 27, 2012 at 1:55 p.m.

Nintendo has a muh larger fan base than capcom and other companies that make fighters. I'd rather see tatsunoko cause people slept on that game

DarknessFallz said on October 27, 2012 at 1:55 p.m.

Smash is first in votes? I would love to see Project Justice at Evo!!!!

Galletano said on October 27, 2012 at 1:57 p.m.

This poll is not exclusive for the fgc, I bet casuals voted too. And melee is the most casual friendly game on that list.

BarcelSnacks said on October 27, 2012 at 2:01 p.m.

#24 I just want the HD version, but a man can dream.

Moosh said on October 27, 2012 at 2:07 p.m.

"Competitive" SSB requires players to strip away 80% of the game's content in order to transform it into something that kind of resembles a traditional fighting game. Gutting a party game and calling it a competitive fighter is stupid. This is coming from someone who loves Smash Bros. and owns every game in the series (I flipped out when I heard they were making the original on the N64, I bought it the very day it came out). The cast isn't designed to be balanced in a void (or even at all). It doesn't stand up to the intense examination of people trying to win at all costs; some characters are outrageously good and horribly bad. The game isn't supposed to be about "skill" beyond a certain basic level - it's supposed to be just a chaotic, random brawl with crazy items and stage events popping up all over the place. Cutting all that out is cutting out most of the actual fun of the game. This is like parents demanding the party clown they hired for their kid's birthday to recite pi instead of making balloon animals. The result can be impressive, but that's not the reason it's there.

@ everyone marveling at why SF4 isn't getting votes: why would you vote for something that's already going to be there?

illness690 said on October 27, 2012 at 2:08 p.m.

Shiragaku said on October 27, 2012 at 2:09 p.m.

I do not have a problem with Melee itself, but many of the Melee guys I hung around with were just plain miserable...and that is saying something in comparison to the mainstream FGC.

Ermapume said on October 27, 2012 at 2:13 p.m.

Id love for Melee to make it. Id actually watch Evo live just for that.

Vain said on October 27, 2012 at 2:16 p.m.

2007 Evo was a great year for Melee, but Brawl came out in 2008 and took Melee's Evo spot and you know how that turned out. Hopefully Melee gets another chance :).

Batsu said on October 27, 2012 at 2:23 p.m.

90% of the people voting for Smash aren't even serious enough about fighters to watch.

Lomito said on October 27, 2012 at 2:24 p.m.

i love smash but.. isnt kinda old? add cvs2 and 3rdStrike then or guiltygear(the new one)

skyrimer said on October 27, 2012 at 2:29 p.m.

you just have to read the 90+ options to see people are not taking this seriously, divekick 880 votes lol

Gypsyhatten said on October 27, 2012 at 2:35 p.m.

#25 More likely that some big SSBM forum or whatnot got a hold of the poll, possibly boosting with spoof facebook accounts as well.

"Casuals" would be unlikely to get to EVO's facebook page and if they did, they'd probably vote for Brawl.

SgtKonus said on October 27, 2012 at 3:04 p.m.

Wow, what a change up.

Out of the six EVO spots, only 3 are available. ( I mean, SSFAE:2012,UMVC3 and TTT2 are in. The Tekken scene is quiet but strong, they always have decent numbers at EVO).

Who knows what the other three games could be-

If Ehrgeiz is an EVO game I will die from laughter at how Trolls own the FGC.

Ketchup17 said on October 27, 2012 at 3:22 p.m.

hey, high level Smash play is a LOT more difficult than anything Capcom can dish out.. trust me, I've tried to be competitive in Smash. It isn't easy

Hayabusa_San said on October 27, 2012 at 3:25 p.m.

I voted for DOA5, TvC and 3rd Strike. I know neither of this will be on EVO (people simply don't like them enough), but i prefer this 3 instead of Smash Melee.

Don't get me wrong. I love Smash Bros series (been fan from the original N64 game), but i don't see why people want an EVO tournament for the game.

zores said on October 27, 2012 at 3:36 p.m.

No melee that is like the mario kart of fighting games. Doesn't belong.

rakuko said on October 27, 2012 at 3:44 p.m.

@27: are you the kind of person that dislikes innovative thinking? as in, using things in ways different than the producers/creators intended? seems like you have some need to limit Smash to "party game" and are disgusted by anyone who wants to play it in a competitive way.

whatever your reasoning.....competitive Smash exists, so you'll just have to deal with it. the Smash community handles hate all the time, your opinion means nothing to them.

@35: and of course there's the idea that the Smash fans must be cheating. "the Smash community can't possibly be that large Kappa"

@36: shoutouts to hurting people for having different opinions.

The_True_Gouki said on October 27, 2012 at 3:52 p.m.

Melee or Brawl, my Sheik would tear ya'll apart.

SuperStraightFighter said on October 27, 2012 at 3:57 p.m.

This poll is complete rubbish, personal lists: AE2012, GG, JojoHD, Persona 4 arena, KOF 13, 3rd strike, TTT2, VF5. Melee hasn't been established as a serious and competitive fighter, it's a game you play with your little sisters and brothers. The trolling in that poll is rediculous.

pinoy929 said on October 27, 2012 at 4:03 p.m.

I think there should be an "EVO Classic" where they do old school games. ST,CvS2, 3s, MvC2, GGXX: AC, etc. Would be fun to see those games being played again.

SuperStraightFighter said on October 27, 2012 at 4:15 p.m.

oh I forgot the new BB and SF2 turbo hd remix

No_Surrender said on October 27, 2012 at 4:25 p.m.

War Gods. That is all.

Moosh said on October 27, 2012 at 4:33 p.m.

I dislike SMB being treated as a competitive fighter, so I hate innovation as a whole? Right. Way to argue from the extreme.

There's nothing innovative about dumbing down SSB with restrictive rules, sorry. I'm well aware competitive SSB exists. I'm pretty darn good at it myself. I've even participated in a huge SSBM tournament before and placed third out of over 200 people. I'm not speaking from a lack of experience.

It's still stupid. Telling me to "deal with it" is retarded too; implying that I care what the "competitive" Smash community thinks. If they have fun, more power to them, but that doesn't change that they're having fun doing something stupid.

BeatNinja said on October 27, 2012 at 4:53 p.m.

@28 Amen my friend.

Melee OR Brawl would be so hype. A nice change of pace if ya ask me.
Anything can be competitive if it has the right community. Don't bag on something just because "I don't like it" or better yet "it isn't made by Capcom"

vicious1024 said on October 27, 2012 at 5:05 p.m.

Damn. People really are pissed about a Smash game being first.

Simba_v7 said on October 27, 2012 at 5:16 p.m.

Relax people. Marvel, SF and KOF is a given for EVO.

Fortune said on October 27, 2012 at 5:48 p.m.

@47, Moosh

chill.

Want to reiterate what @13, NyuBomber said.

"Melee's a niche community in an already niche community, thanks to mindsets already on display here. Because of this, its fans are more fervent, and probably organized to drive support. Melee is also the most dynamically unique game from the standard fighter formula on that top 6 line-up, so more people also want it for the unique factor."

My own thoughts on it, being a Melee player: when I play Melee for a few months without touching SF I do miss playing SF. When I play SF for a few months without touching Melee, I miss playing Melee. They are extremely different, but equally fun and competitive in my eyes. Melee is really different from most of the games on the list. So what? If there is demand, the game should get part of the EVO spotlight.

I would like to know what specific complaints people have about Melee. I have only seen Melee hate posts here with no specific reasoning...

KingLawXXI said on October 27, 2012 at 5:50 p.m.

People are taking this poll waaaaay too seriously. I hope everyone reads this post. Bottom line, this is not an exclusive poll. My kid voted for smash. A lot of casual players and players who wont even show up/watch are voting. I guarantee you AE, MvC3, TTT2, and KoF will be at evo. if it was going by competitive popularity only, of course AE would win by a landslide, maybe only MvC would get close. All these people pissed about smash being first need to go outside and take a lap, I'd be willing to bet a few hundred votes are trolls, and if not, then the people should get what they want, LOLOLOL.

JesseRobles said on October 27, 2012 at 6:07 p.m.

Just newest games, please..

kingofthesharks said on October 27, 2012 at 6:38 p.m.

There are people who love Melee and those who prefer more traditionally-controlled fighters. There are people who consider Melee the peak of Smash's formula and there are those who don't have the experience and simply generalize it as "Smash" in the same light as Brawl or SSB64. There are people who are open-minded and those who are elitist and talk sh*t about a game they think is too simple or party-heavy.

Regardless of whether you are on the fence for Melee Evo 2013, one thing is certain. If Melee makes it in, the viewership and publicity of EVO will skyrocket. Not just the hardcore Melee fans will be watching this, but Nintendo fan-sites will embed EVO on their front page, and gaming press sites will publicize EVO as always but maybe the inclusion of Melee will attract more eyes than normal. Hint: everyone knows how to play and control Smash at a basic level, unlike many other fighters. This helps viewers get engaged in a game they know exactly how to play.

Still, Melee isn't guaranteed to get in just because of this poll. But a powerful point stands. Melee is completely offline. There have been no re-releases letting people try it online for fun. Most if not all players/voters of Melee know the fun and hype of tense Melee matches in person. And for those viewers just dropping in, it will be a chance to see the height of high-level play in a 10-year old game shared on the same stream as those who understand high-level fighting gameplay. And unlike MvC2, there is way less chance of seeing god-tier mirror matches in the finals. Plus, as others have stated before, it's a welcome change of pace from usual 2D Capcom and 3D Namco fighters. I'm not ecstatic, but certainly intrigued.

Lemres said on October 27, 2012 at 6:39 p.m.

Don't know why all the hate for Smash Bros. It's a fighting game. It's just not your average fighting game. Not that hard to comprehend. I would love to see this in Evo!

Fortune said on October 27, 2012 at 6:56 p.m.

@54 "Hint: everyone knows how to play and control Smash at a basic level, unlike many other fighters. This helps viewers get engaged in a game they know exactly how to play."

While Melee is very intuitive at a basic level and almost everyone knows how to play it, it is probably the most difficult fighting game execution wise at higher levels (imo). I don't want to hear people saying that just because everyone knows how to play Melee it means that Melee is a "no-skill" game. The amount of technical know-how needed is ridiculous.

Smorgasboard said on October 27, 2012 at 7:02 p.m.

People talk about considering fan feedback but only when the majority opinion matches the personal opinion. #fgclogic

DivinePhoenix69 said on October 27, 2012 at 7:42 p.m.

ROFL at everyone who are so butthurt about melee leading the polls.believe it or not, like alot of people already said high level melee requires an insane amount of execution.i know because my friend who goes by the gamertag jbandrew plays competetive melee.plus it would be nice to see something other than the usual AE or marvel for once.

ieoosjks said on October 27, 2012 at 7:53 p.m.

LordUltraNasty said on October 27, 2012 at 8:04 p.m.

@56 I do agree melee can be execution intense above the casual level with the developers' intended control scheme and methods of play, but I think the controls become much less intuitive with the advanced tech and wouldn't be that difficult if you could change controls or even more so to use something like a fightstick, though you lose out on the c-stick(though you could hold a button to switch between or something).

CrossoverFighterRyu93 said on October 27, 2012 at 8:20 p.m.

Jeez guys calm down. So what if Melee has most votes, everyone loves the game and is very competitive over its sequel. Would you like to see more meta knight cheapness instead? I think not. And toruney players played Melee when it came out and they said it was very competitive and fun and when Brawl came it was on the casual side, but they still play Melee. Besides i don't see PS All Stars being at Evo either way. Even if they say their game is meant for the FGC making them look really stupid.

I'm shocked to see the big titles, Tekken, Street Fighter, are under KOFXIII, that was the hypest tourney this year and im glad to see it again next year. Besides this many votes for Melee means its leading to SSB4 teaming up with Namco's FG directors.

Solar said on October 27, 2012 at 8:28 p.m.

FGC bashing on Smash. Not surprised. Melee is easy to pick up but hard to get good at like the rest of the fighting games.

kingofthesharks said on October 27, 2012 at 8:37 p.m.

@56 and @58

Execution was not my point. I know how precise and fast you have to be to move and attack the way the pros do. It's one of the only analog-based fighters, resulting in huge differences of tilting/smashing the control stick for various results that not many people can easily do on the fly. But execution does not = skill. That's basic FGC and tournament knowledge.
My point was that everybody who has touched a gamecube (and to an extent Brawl and SSB64) has probably played SSBM and knows how the game works mechanically. There are no meters to keep track of and explain, no tag mechanics, almost no chains. You don't need to "just know" which attacks hit high/mid/low unlike Namco fighters, and you don't need someone explaining why PlayerA couldn't just tag out to another character when Magneto's health was running low. The extent to what you have to explain to a random viewer watching Melee is the mechanics behind the ledges and the invincibility frames from grabbing them, which may look strange to people unfamiliar with high level players behaving aggressively and strangely on ledges.
Other than that, the high level of execution speaks for itself. Every "impressive" thing one can do in Melee is like an extension of the basic commands everyone and their mother knows (even if just played the game once), and the speed at which the fighters play is self-explanatory, akin to the first time you watched Pro MvC2 matches. It's easier and more fun for audiences of all kinds to be engaged watching something they know is hard yet relatable (think sports, we're all impressed by backflips on balance beams because we naturally all know how hard it is) as opposed to watching some crazy triple 1-frame link Sako combo and having somebody explain the hidden details of why that was amazing.

jme said on October 27, 2012 at 9:18 p.m.

If you want a old dusty game like melee to come to evo, then cvs2 should come back as well.

Kaizy said on October 27, 2012 at 9:57 p.m.

There's no point because they force players to use items. They shove their Evo ruleset down smash players' throats and don't allow them to have the ruleset that they use for all of their tournaments.

HooliganComboFTW said on October 27, 2012 at 10:53 p.m.

these polls are so much flamebait lol

OmegaZero said on October 27, 2012 at 11:10 p.m.

Im happy to see that theres support for melee, I mean is without a doubt the most heavy execution game to date, however and as much as I love melee, there is but one problem with having melee at evo, skisonic, yes that...ok (forget the hate for a moment), I go straight to the point, some years ago, melee was on the evo tournamente line, by that time there was a lot of rules to make it a less random as possible, such as banning stages like the ice climbers, and disabling items, this was with the sole purpose to make the game as competitive as possible, however evo staff make the mistake of including items (not all items) in the games, this lead to random exploding capsules, and crates that randomize the game, making it less hype, and a lot more random, because of this melee players discarded evo as a reliable tournament manager, so they all went to the mlg circuit.

After some years brawl came out, the game make it on evo as expected, this time skisonic was desperate to include items on brawl, by this time other tournaments already have rules for stages and as always no items, however skisonic did all on his power to include items on the evo brawl, all so that he could play with sonic... hes whole intention was to play a so call low tier (he said sonic was low tier), of course sonic was viable to some point, and he got his bad matchups, but the thing is skisonic wanted the items so he could play with sonic an feel the effect of those bad matchups a lot less, (sonic has a bit of advantage with items cause of his speed), but beacuse of skisonic own selfish wish brawl was taken once again out of the evo tournament line, im pretty sure keits end up helping skisonic on that item rule for brawl at the evo tournaments but Im not sure.

I love melee, and I kinda like brawl its fun, I only hope they dont make the same mistakes they did on the past, this time they need to think an do thing right.

By the way I would love and official tatsunoko vs capcom UAS tournament, that way I have and excuse to go to evo and kick marn ass (marn zero sucks)

YaK99 said on October 28, 2012 at 12:21 a.m.

I dont know about you guys but anyone else want jojo's bizzare adventure? Just me.....alright

MrKingFunk said on October 28, 2012 at 4:19 a.m.

My two cents, for all it's worth.

JiCi said on October 28, 2012 at 5:13 a.m.

I'm crossing my fingers for P4A, I really do.

Kinda a shame that Melee is considered better than Brawl, because my favorite characters (Ike & Pit) aren't in Melee.

I also wished that Capcom would keep only one game and select SSFIVAE over UMvC3. Seriously, I'm utterly sick of seeing One-Touch-Kill combos in UMvC3, which nobody can get out of. At least SF players don't play as bastardly as that game. With UMvC3 out of the way, then maybe DoA5 might get a real spot.

zhanba8 said on October 28, 2012 at 5:27 a.m.

Adnan said on October 28, 2012 at 6:21 a.m.

KOF had the most entertaining Top 8 this year imo, it'd be awesome to see it again next year. I heard MadKOF is retiring from competitive play or something though (could anyone here confirm this?)

Not sure why people even bother voting for uMVC3 and SSF4, they're shoe-ins. The new SFxT patch seems to be changing things up a fair bit so maybe it deserves a 2nd chance. Preferably I'd like for Capcom to only one game there, it'd allow for the most variety (there are so many fighting games out right now) but that won't happen.

TeggHiaIo said on October 28, 2012 at 6:25 a.m.

I made an account specifically to respond to you (which may be instigating something, but I honesty wanted you to understand this).

You clearly lack an understanding of the depth of Melee.

I don't mean that offensively, or harshly, or as an insult.

Melee operates on a 60 frame-per-second system. This means that it is possible to input a command at any one of 60 frames in each second. This is the same as SF4.

Melee has 33 different attacks available to every character. Some have more, and most attacks attack different areas around the character at different times of their execution, and most have different levels of hitstun/angles of knockback depending on where / when they hit. This is more variance (in moveset) than SF4.

Melee has dozens of pages worth of techniquesk that are "basics" of high-level play, all of which require frame-perfect timing. This is similar to SF4, from what I've heard of that game's technical conplexities.

Melee's combos are dynamic. Melee has been out for 11 years, and the surface of Melee's combo game is still being scratched. Melee has more combo variance than SF4.

Spacing is important to both games. Character movement, mind games, and stage control all are as well.

Just because its easy to see why something is good or cool does not mean it isn't difficult, or that there are not underlying facets to explain.

"Javi kicked him then got a grab and threw them up, hoping to combo for the kill. Hbox got him first."

Is a massive oversimplification of:

"Javi did a frame-perfect dash pivot reverse-usmash, which sourspotted the move's hitbox. This allowed Hbox to regain stage control. Hbox hit his triggor after his SHfAir a frame or two too late, and missed his L-cancel. Javi punished his missed tech with a grab, then buffered an uThrow out of the grab, and jumped up to FHuAir Hbox. Hbox knew how many frames he'd be stunned, so, instead of smash-DIing the attack, baited it in, and countered with a frame-perfect rest."

That exchange lasted four seconds, and takes probably ten minutes to explain in full.

As for the "speed at which the players play is self explanatory"...The majority of "casual" players (i.e. not involved in the community) think that competitive players play with the game on a higher speed (a mode called "lightning"), because it's so ridiculous for them to move that fluidly and quickly.

Anyway, I just wanted to respond to you. You can make of my points what you will.

KB said on October 28, 2012 at 6:29 a.m.

As long as there are no items, than I'm completely fine with Smash being with EVO.

Hey, hey, hey. I've played Smash for a VERY long time and I can easily say my days as a melee hardcore were, without question, exponentially the best days I've ever had with the game, or even games in generally compared to playing it casually. Just because being competitive is not fun for you specifically doesn't make it not fun for other people. Smash can be played both casually and competitively, and that's the beauty of it. Unfortunately people like you like to only take one side. Personally, I adore playing smash competitively, but I have no grudge against people who try to play the game casually.

ClawlessVictory said on October 28, 2012 at 7:03 a.m.

Zure said on October 28, 2012 at 7:18 a.m.

Aw man. You absolutely have to go through the entire list. Some of these choices are hilarious.

Chrisuchiwa said on October 28, 2012 at 7:42 a.m.

I can believe people are upset about Melee being first in the poll. They are well-organized and they made a page only for supporting Melee at EVO 2013. See here!
I know that Marval3 and SSF' will make it. I olso want BBCP, SFxT 2013, Injustice and KOF 13( even if the game is dying) to make it.

Speakertag said on October 28, 2012 at 8:04 a.m.

Melee isn't a proper figting game. These people just need to stop.

DevilMaySpy said on October 28, 2012 at 8:34 a.m.

If People really wanted to troll, they could vote for SF X T.

Dmez said on October 28, 2012 at 8:45 a.m.

Seeing Melee at EVO would actually be really awesome. I'd be down to see that.

KB said on October 28, 2012 at 9:15 a.m.

#75 Why would you say that? If you're saying that Melee isn't deep fighting game, you are strongly mistaken. I'm not trolling when I say that.

Smash Techniques
SHFFL (Short-hop, fast fall, l-cancel), l-canceling, wavedashing, wavelanding, DACUS (Dash Attack cancel Up Smash), edge guarding, edge hogging, RAR (Reverse Aerial Rush), B-sticking, DI (Directional Influence), Smash DI, boost grab, chaingrabbing, crouch canceling, Dash-dancing, desynching (only for Ice Climbers), Waveshining (only for fox and falco), DJC (Double Jump cancel), Edge-canceled eggs (only for Yoshi), Fast falling, floating (only for peach), Fox-trotting (only for fox), JC (Jump canceling), Jab cancel, Ken Combo, Kirbycide (only for Kirby), moonwalk, Oos (Out of Shield), pivoting, perfect shield, pillaring (only for falco), Shield grab, shield jab, shield jump, short hop, stage spike, tech, tech-chasing, wall grapple, wall of pain, wall jump, etc.

These are all techniques specific to Melee (well except RARs and DACUS, which are specific to Brawl) that are all used to improve the natural metagame. Smash isn't deep? You couldn't be more wrong.

TTT2 isn't a bad fighting game just saying.

umeshoryu89 said on October 28, 2012 at 9:25 a.m.

Yo this poll must be rigged or the FGC is filled with kids. Smash Brothers really? I'm confused, Please if it make it at EVO don't put it on the mainstream because most of us would be embarassed.

RawVoltage said on October 28, 2012 at 9:30 a.m.

How do I vote? Do I just hit the check box and that's it?
Also, please everyone vote for Killer Instinct! We need that game to get a remake/re-release! :}<3

EDIT: Also, props to #81, Melee ftw!

SgtKonus said on October 28, 2012 at 9:41 a.m.

SSBM would mean

-More Money ( SSBM kids have money)
-More Viewers
-More Attendants

I mean, come on, whats not to like. Lets not let our Nerd Elitism about "Melee isn't a Fighting game" get in the way of a good oppurtunity.

GodPride said on October 28, 2012 at 9:57 a.m.

Not many people are going to vote for a shoe-in. Ryu and Ken, for example, did not place 1st and 2nd respectfully in Harada's TKxSF poll because they're a given.

Anyway, I wouldn't mind Melee at Evo if it means more viewership but I'll never take the game serious. Melee was never intented to be played competitively regardless of how high the skill ceiling is due to the metagaming from its dedicated fans.

TeggHiaIo said on October 28, 2012 at 10:30 a.m.

Anyone who says Melee is not a fighting game is ignoring my last post among a plethora of other evidence.

The simple truth is that Melee has a competitive scene. The game has a skill window beyond what humans can currently reach, and has stayed strong for eleven years.

In spite of all of the (unfounded) bias against our game, we are still trying to reach out within the FGC. At EVO, we would bring players in the hundreds; this past year alone we had competition from around the world come together for a more than 300-man tournament. Our livestream count was in the thousands.

I know that doesn't mean anything to those who have such bias, but I beg you to at least consider the implications.

CheeseCakez said on October 28, 2012 at 11:14 a.m.

Dang, some of the people here are really salty...

gigantor21 said on October 28, 2012 at 12:04 p.m.

LOL @ people crying about Melee yet again. Seriously, NOTHING causes heated reactions and debate the way the Smash games do. It's ridiculous.

Whether it gets in or not, the usual suspects are going to be fine. Relax.

DivinePhoenix69 said on October 28, 2012 at 12:58 p.m.

The amount of salt in @75 and @82's posts is almost too funny.stay ignorant scrubs:D.

TournyFag said on October 28, 2012 at 1:18 p.m.

Calling it right now, Melee is not going to make it into the final list of games.

Evo is being run by a bunch of pig headed Capcom fan boys who will never let a smash game make it into evo again. They refuse to accept Melee is a competitive fighter even though it still has a thriving community after 11 years. Clearly melee brings a huge audience with it and a well rounded group of international players who would jump at the opportunity to compete in front of the world.

But no, most likely the line up will be filled with failed street fighter spin offs that no one gives a crap about.

kingofthesharks said on October 28, 2012 at 2:41 p.m.

@TeggHialo

you're lecturing to the wrong guy. You probably didn't read my 1st post.

I understand how deep melee is, I've played the game at least as long as you have guaranteed, and although never competed, I've played casually with tournament players so I know the potential of characters and many terms/techniques that have taken years to fruit. I know how to operate the game at an advanced level, even if I'm not the most fluid and consistent at everything in preparation to beat truly advanced players.

Both you and Fortune have replied to my posts ignoring everything I said except the technical depth/execution. It just sounds like you guys wanna get something out of your system. I never said high level Melee was simple, easy or not deep. My point was that it was accessible for EVO viewers to watch because Smash Bros in general is POPULAR AS HELL among nintendo console owners and gamers in general, not just "fighting gamers" or "smash players". Melee was the highest selling Gamecube game ever. That alone guarantees at least 2-3 dozen thousand more viewers when the game comes on stream, many of which will likely pour over into watching other fighting games before or afterward while they're at it. It'll be good for EVO in both the lineup and the viewership variety.

Even if a viewer never really played Melee...even if they just hopped on Smash after Brawl came out...or if they didn't play past the original SSB64...it's incredibly easy to follow a match for anyone with basic knowledge of the franchise. There have been no added meters with properties you have to explain, no complex tag mechanics or combo breakers. It's always been the same ring out system with the same hitstun system (though heavier). It's just a faster Smash with much more potential for precise frame inputs, canceling, mixups, etc.

Think of it this way, 3rd Strike is probably more execution heavy on average per character than UMVC3. The timing, less lenient inputs, piano-ing, and frame-perfect links, etc. are HARD, most would agree, compared to most of UMVC3's execution even in high-level play. Now, what is easier to follow along for a casual, possibly even non-fighting gamer viewer? 3rd Strike obviously, because it's 1v1, rooted in the pop-culture famous SF2 style, and the meter system takes about 1-2 sentences to explain. Parrying maybe 1 more sentence. For something like Marvel, 1st-time viewers will be very lost guaranteed if they didn't read a paragraph of the game's mechanics beforehand. At least Smash zooms out the camera to always show every fighter.

All the technical jargon and hidden attack/movement properties can be explained through commentary if needed, just like any other game on stream.

In short, I already understand everything you said. It's just a matter of whether you agree with me that advanced Melee is still easy to follow along even for those with extremely basic understanding of the game, & that it would work well at EVO

ShrieK said on October 28, 2012 at 2:47 p.m.

I just made an account here to throw in my two cents because there is so much hating on melee.

I am 23 years old. I was playing SF2CE when I was 3 feet tall and my head was 6 inches below the buttons on the cabinets at round table. I played SFA1-3, MK2, TMNTTF, Soul Edge, Soul Calibur, Tekken1-3, SSB, Marvel Super Heroes, X-Men vs Street Fighter, Marvel Super Heroes vs Street Fighter, MvC, CvSNK, and started to lose interest around 3rd Strike, MvC2, SC2, Tekken Tag/4, and CvSNK2. I felt the newer fighters offered some good ideas behind game design but didn't captivate me the same way as the older ones--particularly 3rd Strike, as SF games had always been closest to my heart. I got more into PC gaming and particularly RTS games. My brother was the best SC:BW player in the United States for many years, and I was top3 at Warcraft 3 for many years. Eventually, these games got pretty stale, despite how good they are competitively.

I had not played Melee until 2008. I was in college and thought I was done with gaming. But holy crap. Once you get into that game, you cannot put it down. In my whole life, I have never had any hobby or activity that I can do for twelve hours without even wanting to have a break. I have played for thousands of hours and I feel that I am still so bad at this game. I have always considered myself to be a prodigy at games, but this game is something else. I can't even play for three seconds without making some sort of error. This game is serious f***ing business. A party game for kids does not have a competitive scene 11 years later. As far as I know, no games except SC:BW and SF2 have had longevity comparable to Melee. Even though we are a small community compared to something like LoL, and even though I'm just a low level scrub in Melee, I have no regrets about switching to this scene three years ago. Our game is beautiful, and the level of play that the top players have is simply astonishing.

If you think that it should not be played competitively, do you really think most of the best competitive games were created with that purpose in mind? SC:BW was not crafted by some god who knew it was going to spawn millions of South Korean fans through competitive beauty. The years of SF2 tournaments were surely not envisioned by its creators. Moreover, games like SC2 and SF4 (I follow and enjoy SF4 as well) that are designed with the competitive community in mind, have not lived up to the glory of their predecessors. And there's one more thing here. I think Melee was designed to be a competitive game. There's a f***ing TOURNAMENT mode in the game. The tech skill was also largely intentional. They knew about many of the mechanics.

tl;dr Melee is incredible, please don't hate on it just because you don't understand it. You don't have to like it, just don't think it's a joke game.

TeggHiaIo said on October 28, 2012 at 3:48 p.m.

I only listed the points against the part of your post I disagreed with. When you say Melee is a simple ring-out system...that's like me saying most other games are a simple health system.

The truth is, those complexities which you appreciate in fighting games are also evident in Melee.

Games have meters that give the game complexity? DI impacts every single hit, yet is invisible on the screen.

With that said, I agree with your point about Melee being a more spectator-friendly sport for casual / non players. It is obvious when a player hits 3-4 hits in a row what exactly they did...at least, it's obvious that they /did/ something.

My only problem with your post was that it seemed like an attempt to describe an oversimplified Melee, which is a stigma that Melee has been fighting off for ages.

With that said, here's hoping that Melee does indeed make the lineup. Best of luck to the rest of the FGC.

KB said on October 28, 2012 at 4:37 p.m.

#91 Wow that was actually an amazingly well-thought out post. Props to you sir.

Fortune said on October 28, 2012 at 5:32 p.m.

@kingofthesharks

I do agree with your first post, I just misunderstood part of it. Sorry about that.

fdgfdkjk said on October 28, 2012 at 8:07 p.m.

TheB0a said on October 28, 2012 at 8:23 p.m.

I'd like to see:
Dead or Alive 5
King of Fighters XIII
Persona 4 Arena
Street Fighter x Tekken 2013
Tekken Tag Tournament 2

Kwisatz_Haderach said on October 28, 2012 at 8:34 p.m.

Everyone that voted for Smash Brothers is an idiot. I will stop watching if I see that crap on stream.

zhanba9 said on October 28, 2012 at 8:50 p.m.

The_Barry_Gibb_Talk_Show said on October 28, 2012 at 11:29 p.m.

Im reading alot of hate against Smash Bros but I really don't think people hate that game, I think the FGC, as we know it here on eventhubs and SRK, just dont want the SMASH BROS COMMUNITY to blend with the FGC. I think the FGC sees themselves as 'hardcore' and 'edgy' and view the Smash Crowd as 'kiddie'. But that doesnt matter to the people that run EVO because that tournament is a family friendly, all ages tournament as the EVO committee has said before.

So the FGC needs to cease the mentality of EVO being 'just for us elite' and understand that the reason the tournament is called EVO is because it EVOLVES to a changing fighting game landscape.

And also, I want Playstaion Allstars BR at Evo. That game is incedible.

Smorgasboard said on October 29, 2012 at 12:04 a.m.

it's kind of dumb to choose only SSF4 or umvc3 when both games have player bases that dwarf every other game. They are also quite different.

Smash deserves to be treated as part of the FGC even if it doesn't appear at Evo anymore.

Load more comments