Posted by Steven 'Dreamking23' Chavez • October 16, 2012 at 8:57 a.m. PDT
Diary of a Gamer: Latif details his experience at SBO 2012, match footage featuring Cantona's Zangief RZR|Latif has begun writing blog entries over on the Razer website detailing his trip to Japan to compete in SBO 2012. This is part 1 of his Diary of a Gamer and Latif talks about his arrival in Japan, some of the top level Japanese players he faced at the Sega Avion arcade and more.

Below is a bit to get you started.

So after I unpacked my stuff, we went straight down to SBO business. Fortunately, my cousin lived about 10 minutes away from the best arcade in Osaka which was called “Sega Avion”. This arcade hosts a lot of the best players from all over Japan, so luckily for me it was a great way to fight against the best on a daily basis before SBO. A few notable names to mention that showed up were players such as Uryo “Best Sakura”, Cantona “Best Zangief”, Dogura “Best Bison”, kog “Best T hawk”, Amiyu “Best Gen”, Noriyasu “Best Dhalsim” and many other amazing players. First day I didn’t get to play a lot of players since I showed up late at night but I still got to play some great matches mainly against Uryo and Cantona. The matches between me and Uryo were amazing and very close, final score ended being 6-1 in my favor.

I really wanted to play some more matches but unfortunately he had to leave early. Cantona also really impressed me with his amazing play style that was mainly based on incredibly fast reactions to every attack I did and the ability to read every movement. It’s really hard to explain such thing in words so I will leave you guys with some matches to watch instead.

Hit the jump to check out a few of the matches between RZR|Latif and Cantona's Zangief from the Sega Avion.

Tip by Aaerox.

Comments

EnsignHiro said on October 16, 2012 at 9:07 a.m.

i love hearing about gamers experiences. its nice to know that outside of games people do experience such things like traveling, meeting new people, having good times in and out of games etc. much respect to anyone who brings things like this to eventhubs because its always nice to see the face and hear the voice of any pro or non proplayer that is a part of the community. much thanks DreamKing and Aaerox.

keijukaze said on October 16, 2012 at 9:39 a.m.

Setta teeth

Yungin_BLU said on October 16, 2012 at 9:39 a.m.

@ halfway during the last vid in the background. How many times is Nicholas Cage gonna get lit on fire?

sarif2soon said on October 16, 2012 at 10:57 a.m.

he should wear a thobe and shimagh during tournaments. it would be interesting to watch him doing victory dances on stage while wearing those.

BlankaBeast said on October 16, 2012 at 11:38 a.m.

like the cap, more gamers need some style!

llSilkCutll said on October 16, 2012 at 2:02 p.m.

I've been to this arcade and others in Japan. What is astonishing is that the average player there really is a A+ standard to what we all play online lol. I'm a high B+ online and I did win a few matches in the arcade but the standard is through the roof. I'm sure even the genius of Latif lost a good few games there.

Best thing when I was in Tokyo is I got to see Daigo play Ryu in the flesh, it is the best thing in fighting game history to watch live for me, his Ryu is like no other on the planet. The way he buffs every move it's incredible. He lost matches and then to see him adapt and then win the next few was incredible.

And Taito Station is the maddest arcade ever - You have to be there to appreciate the madness! Everyone should visit there at least once.

Soriphen said on October 16, 2012 at 2:30 p.m.

How jealous I am of you >:(.

RedRapperSux said on October 16, 2012 at 3:31 p.m.

@6 Good sh*t.

BurningVigor said on October 16, 2012 at 4:35 p.m.

Well since you're actually putting money to play in the arcades, of course their standards would be higher than online.

This holds true to the arcades scene before. Sure less people played fighters back then, but the overall skill level was much much higher than what it is now.

dirtyvillain said on October 16, 2012 at 5:30 p.m.

Didn't all the vipers get bodied by top japanese players at EVO? vipers' wack

spotlesseden said on October 16, 2012 at 6:27 p.m.

viper always got bodied in Japanese tournaments, they rank viper very low on the tier list. Latif only went 2-2 at SBO.

iusdkhsdi said on October 17, 2012 at 4:49 a.m.