EventHubs Fight Tracker open beta interview, future of program discussed on Cross Counter

Posted by Jonathan 'Catalyst' Grey • November 23, 2012 at 9 a.m. PST
I had the chance to sit down with Gootecks of Cross Counter recently about the EventHubs Fight Tracker. A fairly revolutionary new part of the website we've been working on for quite some time to help players in the fighting game community easily connect with one another.

In the clip, we cover an overview of this program while Gootecks runs through a demo of its features. We also talk about the future of the Fight Tracker, going over some extended features we will be working on rolling out in the near future. Check it out below.

Please keep in mind the Fight Tracker is currently in open beta, but we'll be rolling out a full release here in the very near future. Until then, please jump in and tell us what you think. You can also scope out this thread of the EHubs forums for more info and a brief FAQ.

Comments

RespectSenseiRay said on November 23, 2012 at 9:13 a.m.

Oh Snap. I didn't know Catalyst was a human.
Please forgive me for my ignorance. I'm an 09er.

sarif2soon said on November 23, 2012 at 9:19 a.m.

so this is what catalyst looks like...

error3 said on November 23, 2012 at 9:19 a.m.

@1 lol I feel the same way. Much more respect for Catalyst (sorry for any rude post).

The best idea I heard in this video was being able to see people main's that they play. I play low tier in Marvel, so now I can just filter out people who only play vergil, wesker, strider teams and what not.

zombiebrian said on November 23, 2012 at 9:20 a.m.

Thanks for the shout out :)

zombiebrian said on November 23, 2012 at 9:24 a.m.

Fight tracker is possibly one of the biggest things to happen to the scene this year with participation it'll revolutionize the way we find members for our local scene's, how we find scenes and how we learn about local events. No more trawling through forums in vain hope.

SabishiiRyuu said on November 23, 2012 at 9:30 a.m.

I have a suggestion. Can you add the option of choosing between kilometers and miles? It gets quite annoying for a european to convert all the distances in his head.

hetisvet said on November 23, 2012 at 9:33 a.m.

Amazing stuff. Thanks, please keep it up.

roknin said on November 23, 2012 at 9:35 a.m.

Sounds pretty awesome, looking forward to this feature for sure.

sarif2soon said on November 23, 2012 at 9:38 a.m.

i'm the two-thousand-and-something best seth on PSN (44xx BP) and i rated my personal skill with a 2. is that fair enough?
i wanna know what you guys, the users, rated yourselves.

SabishiiRyuu said on November 23, 2012 at 9:39 a.m.

it's actually working now: http://www.eventhubs.com/tracker

SabishiiRyuu said on November 23, 2012 at 9:41 a.m.

Sarif2soon: I'm a ~4000PP/15000BP gief and rated myself 5/10. It's not easy to rate yourself. Some rate themselves based on online scene, others compare it to offline scene. I took the latter approach.

delusional11 said on November 23, 2012 at 10:04 a.m.

Catalyst is a lot better looking than I imagined.

Catalyst said on November 23, 2012 at 10:05 a.m.

@SabishiiRyuu

That is an item on our to do list, yes.

Tuthur said on November 23, 2012 at 10:08 a.m.

Hey, great initiative Catalyst! However I think you should use the metric system to display relative locations, not everyone in the FGC is from the U.S., and I personally have no idea what miles represent for distances.

Keep up the good work!

Novax99 said on November 23, 2012 at 10:15 a.m.

This is pretty sick, especially for people who play games that are not as popular. You can use this to find players alot easier than using a forum.

Vawned said on November 23, 2012 at 10:15 a.m.

That was really awesome, man!
Kudos for such initiative! The scene will surely grown with that.

Beastworm said on November 23, 2012 at 10:15 a.m.

Kilometers!

sarif2soon said on November 23, 2012 at 10:19 a.m.

lol, i don't even have an offline scene. the closest thing i have to it is a really cocky friend who calls himself a "pro".

@catalyst
thank you and the eventhubs staff for this. as ZB said, the tracker WILL revolutionize the scene.

IMainDanHibiki said on November 23, 2012 at 10:19 a.m.

Along with finding people with a certain skill rank, would it be possible to have our own personal 'rank' for other people?

Our personal rank wouldn't affect other people's personal rank for themselves, but it could help narrow down results from people who say they're the best at a certain game, but are mediocre at best, or vice versa.

At the very least, I'd like a 'Prefer This Player' and 'Avoid this Player' option. All private of course, because if it were public it'd be bait for trolling.

Just a thought. Thanks for everything guys, this site has grown a lot over the past two years.

hazelnut1112 said on November 23, 2012 at 10:21 a.m.

This is pretty neat. A good way to help the FGC expand in numbers.

Oroku_Saki said on November 23, 2012 at 10:23 a.m.

Awesome stuff, but what happens when I'm in Nigeria¿ Let's hope the scene there start participating more. In Japan it's easier for me to track and find people to play. This is an awesome site feature Catalyst & other EventHubs staff.

AnaboliChris said on November 23, 2012 at 10:25 a.m.

Sounds awesome

Skye said on November 23, 2012 at 10:26 a.m.

I like this, I think once it gets developed to its full potential it will be something interesting and useful.

SkllXMnky said on November 23, 2012 at 10:36 a.m.

I don't feel like I'm a good player in alot of the games, like I understand the intermediate to a slight advanced tech, but not to sure how to apply to when I'm actually playing people(online usually because I sometimes sandbag when I'm playing with my friends). So would that be like a [s]1[\s]2-3?

Snipeclips said on November 23, 2012 at 10:51 a.m.

You don't seem to be the tidiest of men XP.

Anyways Cat good sh*t on what you done, can't wait for the venues to be updated.

zUkUu said on November 23, 2012 at 10:56 a.m.

I thought Catalyst was a 1.30 small gnome who works 24/7! :O
consider my world shattered.

SKILL said on November 23, 2012 at 10:59 a.m.

ReallY COOL!!!";)

zUkUu said on November 23, 2012 at 11:01 a.m.

there is also a "Fight Tracker" button missing in the header, or somewhere at the side, but please highly visible so it gets a lot of attention.

zombiebrian said on November 23, 2012 at 11:07 a.m.

@zUkUu

Ive been working with the guy for 3 years i got told he was a tall asian guy years ago. Mind blown XD

Fishman said on November 23, 2012 at 11:07 a.m.

I didn't rate one game above 5, I guess I'm just too humble.
Also lol'd at Smash Bros being on the list.

Fishman said on November 23, 2012 at 11:10 a.m.

An on that note, it'd be pretty shiddy if you went to fight someone around your 4-5 level, for example, and they're actually really good and blow you up but don't consider themselves that good at all.
It definitely needs some kind of "did you fight this guy, what do you rate him" functionality. It could average out all the ratings and have it written somewhere.
Personal Rating: 5
Community Rating: 7

BUYACUSHUN said on November 23, 2012 at 11:12 a.m.

i thought catalyst was some kinda automated computer program. Turns out catalyst is an actual person and is a he.

Also now i can find some good SFxT, TTT2 players to fight.

zUkUu said on November 23, 2012 at 11:14 a.m.

@zombiebrian
haha xD

now please don't tell me SFlip doesn't look like his avatar picture too...

ALL_CAPS said on November 23, 2012 at 11:14 a.m.

This is great!

Catalyst said on November 23, 2012 at 11:19 a.m.

@Snipeclips

Haha, I just moved into a new place so I'm trying to get things in order still. Sorry for the mess.

zUkUu said on November 23, 2012 at 11:26 a.m.

@SFlip
All lies! D:

the cake too. (of course i knew where it is from :)).

AceKombat said on November 23, 2012 at 11:36 a.m.

I based the skill system on my profile based on how well I care and dedicate to the certain game, not by skill. I find it very biased for one to give their own skill level but that's my opinion. Is this fine?

ZeuX said on November 23, 2012 at 11:44 a.m.

SRK needs something like this

Kamhaul said on November 23, 2012 at 11:50 a.m.

Hopefully i can find some hidden people in this barrenland for fighting games.

gOOse_ecks said on November 23, 2012 at 12:05 p.m.

This new system is brilliant. I'm really excited for what this will do for the FGC. Thanks!

alphagen said on November 23, 2012 at 12:07 p.m.

Love it!!! Hope to reviva dead fighting games in my area.

Kogan said on November 23, 2012 at 12:12 p.m.

It would be cool if there was a ranking system built into this based on tournament results and recorded session play, similar to the way poker sites rank their members.

Chrisuchiwa said on November 23, 2012 at 1:07 p.m.

Catalyst is a real man, Omg I finally see him. I always thought EH was runned by computers.
I am kidding, lol. Great stuff.

DevilMaySpy said on November 23, 2012 at 1:27 p.m.

Catalyst isn't Rose?!?!?!

In all seriousness, thank you for this guide. I didn't completely understand the fight tracker system.

solidchancerain said on November 23, 2012 at 1:29 p.m.

Very excited about the Fight Tracker. Such a great idea, I only have a few friends in the area that play, other than that I just have a fight night with some guys weekly online. Anyone want to start a Somerville/Cambridge, MA dojo?

JesseRobles said on November 23, 2012 at 1:44 p.m.

Catalyst is a fiiiiine gentleman. ;)

BornFreeEH said on November 23, 2012 at 1:44 p.m.

Love this. Fantastic contribution to the FGC.

Super_Honda said on November 23, 2012 at 2:05 p.m.

The fight tracker is a great idea and is looking very good. However, because Eventhubs is based in USA, the user base would mostly have USA users and since I'm from the UK, I am basically restricted to play against people in Europe since the connections are generally good. Of course, this also applies to people who are from Asia, America or whatever.

Anyway, wow. I know that people had their own say, but as soon as I saw what Catalyst looks like, I was completely mind-blown. Seriously. I wonder what SFlip, Dreamking23 and Nyoro look like? Haha, it is amazing because when you do see what the person looks like, you would think, 'I didn't expect that person to look like this'.

I wanna say that Eventhubs is my favourite FGC website and the first time I've visited that website was nearly 3 years ago and I didn't create an EH account until around October 2011. Apart from the current layout, I've appreciated the past and current changes for EH and keep up the good work, guys.

xxMarshy said on November 23, 2012 at 3:19 p.m.

Just a suggestion, but I don't like having to rate my skill level and I don't think a lot of people do either, maybe you should replace that with what is your main character you use in that game. Then people can sort their search based on people who use characters they need matchup experience against or whatever reason they may have.

xAlmighty77x said on November 23, 2012 at 3:51 p.m.

wow this is the smartest thing anyone could eva do in the fighting gamecommunity

zhanba32 said on November 23, 2012 at 8:11 p.m.

zhanba32 said on November 23, 2012 at 8:14 p.m.

Chameleonice said on November 23, 2012 at 9:10 p.m.

The character listing function sounds especially awesome, so I'm really looking forward to seeing that up and running :) Really, all of the changes that have been coming on to this site have been a great step towards personalizing it. It all sounds very sensible and very fun.

That being said, the personal rating function might be a bit tough, if only because folks might have a different system for rating themselves. Some might always put their best game at 10 and work down from there, making everything relative. Some might rank all of the games they play in numerical order (1-10) from best to worst. And some might even find the whole thing a bit intimidating. It'll be interesting to watch it evolve.

genesiskhan said on November 23, 2012 at 9:41 p.m.

this is wonderful. man my scene is dry i live in a small town in the bay area san leandro and its hard getting legitimate practice. i can go online but its not as good as having that solid player consistently that trowling the waters. thanks sooo much catalyst its gunna be a fun ride.

Phynx said on November 24, 2012 at 12:26 a.m.

My closest person is 164 miles away. :(

shano said on November 24, 2012 at 2:40 a.m.

Nice stuff eventhubs you guys always do a great job on this site.

jnfsdfwe said on November 24, 2012 at 5:17 a.m.

theCALisONme said on November 24, 2012 at 4:22 p.m.

wowzerz, i thought catalyst would be of asian descent. coolers interview.