Tiers for Soul Calibur 5 by the EventHubs community

Posted by Jonathan 'Catalyst' Grey • November 16, 2012 at 10:52 a.m. PST
Tiers for Soul Calibur 5 by the EventHubs community Very dedicated to the project, xxMarshy has delivered the EventHubs Soul Calibur 5 community tier list results. Kicked off in early November, these results were tallied over the last few weeks.

These were compiled by asking forum users and readers of the front page to head in and vote on each member of the cast, assigning them a letter grade. The ratings are from S (top tier) to D (bottom tier), and cover the 26 fighters in Soul Calibur 5.

Important reminder: The characters are sorted alphabetically in their respective letter grades. Hit the jump the check out the tier list.

S
Alpha Patroklos, Mitsurugi, Natsu
A
Algol, Cervantes, Ivy, Pyrrha, Tira, Viola, Xiba
B
Astaroth, Leixia, Maxi, Nightmare, Omega Pyrrha, Patroklos, Raphael, Yoshimitsu
C
Aeon, Devil Jin, Ezio, Hilde, Siegfried, Voldo
D
Dampierre, Z.W.E.I.

Once again, huge shout outs to xxMarshy getting this going and compiling the rankings for the community.

You can scope out other tier rankings done by the EventHubs community in the past as well.
Tiers for King of Fighters 13.
Assist tiers for Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3.
Tiers for Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3.
Tiers for Fears Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition v2012.

Comments

Guybrush20X6 said on November 16, 2012 at 11:01 a.m.

So Patrokalos got better with soul calibur and Phyria got worse with soul edge? Poetic character design?

rakuko said on November 16, 2012 at 11:14 a.m.

LOL "Tiers for [s]Fears[/s]"

good stuff Catalyst.

Ovada said on November 16, 2012 at 11:24 a.m.

I roll with Hilde/Edgemaster all the time.

Basically it's C tier, or a dice roll, lol.

Catalyst said on November 16, 2012 at 11:31 a.m.

@rakuko

I couldn't resist. Wondered if anyone would spot that.

ButterKnife said on November 16, 2012 at 11:42 a.m.

All 3 of my guys are in C tier (Aeon, Hilde, Voldo), and I kind of expected it. But this game is pretty balanced. Even against high ranking S-tier players who know what they're doing, I don't feel helpless.

I think Zwei and Dampierre might be a little out of the loop though...

wBENDERw said on November 16, 2012 at 12:34 p.m.

tears for fears

Deyrax said on November 16, 2012 at 1:18 p.m.

SC died after 3rd part.

Dragonken said on November 16, 2012 at 1:41 p.m.

What's the official point of Devil Jin? Can he be used in tournaments? I didn't followed SCV news lately.

xxMarshy said on November 16, 2012 at 1:44 p.m.

@Dragonken It depends on the tournament, most majors do not have him available for use but a lot of minor tournaments will have a basic character created with the Devil Jin style for people to use.

Dragonken said on November 16, 2012 at 1:49 p.m.

@xxMarshy
Thanks. When the game arrived people said he was broken, clearly S tier. But now he really seems to be toned down.

xxMarshy said on November 16, 2012 at 2:22 p.m.

Well I'm guessing they said that just because they didn't know how to block his 10 hit combo, once you learn how he really doesn't have all that much besides for decent combos.

Wish they would buff Zwei a lot, he is a really cool character but all his potential was wasted when they decided to give him nothing but terrible normals.

jelaninoel said on November 16, 2012 at 3:08 p.m.

@11 terrible? Try worst in the game:( but really they wanted to make this game like 3rd strke. If ur nice at just guard then everyone is pretty even

yugo said on November 16, 2012 at 5:57 p.m.

ZWEI range ''D''?? i can't understand this.. for me is B or C but i stayed 100 hours with him and when you practice you can be annoying player, abuse attack with the wolf you can break the guard fast.. but i could get a good game with ZWEI,Even i defeated players class ''A''With ZWEI ONLY you must practice.. BUT THIS TOP-TIER IS unfair wit ZWEI.. ok Mitsurugi is my best character but is too simple is this game but im agree with range ''S'' But not range ''D''

zhanba26 said on November 16, 2012 at 7 p.m.

xxMarshy said on November 16, 2012 at 8:08 p.m.

@Strider_RagnaroK
Like Siegfried, Nightmare is a good mixup character, but once you know his tricks he is pretty unsafe and it limits his options since his normals are so slow, he does not have a whiffing problem like Siegfried so that is what places Nightmare above him. Those two are a lot like El Fuerte from Street Fighter 4.

Vurkolak_Envelopment said on November 16, 2012 at 10:57 p.m.

Hang in there my fellow Raph players. Never drop him just because he has to work a little harder than others, because uphill battles are always the finest to win.

ChipsLight said on November 17, 2012 at 5:26 a.m.

That would be cool if every games use for tournament has an officiel skin of Devil Jin in hit to play him.
Or put the Harada skin too, that would be fun.

CreatineNotEvenOnce said on November 19, 2012 at 4:46 a.m.

Tira is A tier? Ladies and gentlemen this is why you don't have community tier lists, ever. 90% positive the Shens would probably have a very different list.

Just as bad as the other list that claimed Deadpool's Katana-rama assist was amazing.

xxMarshy said on November 19, 2012 at 6:02 p.m.

@CreatineNotEvenOnce Obviously Tira is nowhere near A tier since her game is all about chance (bad chance at that), but the rest of the list is good for the most part. Pretty predictable that Tira was going to be voted high considering a Tira won Evo.

Goghiro said on November 21, 2012 at 12:37 p.m.

I play with Natsu,Tira,Xiba,Pyrrha,Ivy,Patroklos,Devil Jin,Siegfried,Pyrrha Omega and Viola so I guess if when i start playing online i will have great winning chances

xxMarshy said on November 24, 2012 at 8:48 p.m.

@Goghiro
Jeez that is a lot of characters lol, one of them is bound to be good even before you see the tier list.

DarkSquallLeo7 said on January 2, 2013 at 11:39 a.m.

patroklos is really good character and b-rank is not bad at all!

jonnitti said on March 18, 2013 at 11:28 a.m.

not going to lie this tier list is absolutely terrible

JeezImBad said on May 16, 2013 at 3:42 a.m.

First of all, this tier list is mostly correct, However I would make a few key adjustments.

Siegfried and Nightmare are in the same tier. Siegfried's "whiffing issues" are not nearly as common as people make them out to be. I main Sieg and I almost never have any whiffing issues. Also, Sieg is more versatile and a tiny bit safer than Nightmare. Nightmare has superior spacing and damage though. I main them both and I personally find them about as equal as 2 characters can get. People downplay Sieg way too much.

Raphael deserves to be in the bottom tier. I also play him, and let me tell you, he's butt ass. He only has 3 horizontal mids, 33A is crap range, crap damage, and unsafe (I think). SE A is nice, but predictable due to the stance. 3A has crap for range and crap for damage. Furthermore, his best punisher 6BB (i12) is outclassed by many of the cast. His CE is probably the worst in the game. His combo's aren't very substantial unless you have a wall or meter. Honestly, everything he does remotely well is outclassed by someone else.

Viola deserves to be s Tier. Simply because her combos go on for days and days. She gets massive damage from safe combo starters, non-stop aggressive frame traps over and over. She's bonkers. There's a reason France banned her. French players are usually ahead of the game anyway. I would listen to them.

I can't see Xiba being better than Astaroth, NM, or Sieg for that matter. He's a good character, but not A tier that's for sure. I also use Xiba, so I'm well aware of his strengths and weaknesses. While he has good range and damage, both of those strengths are outclassed by Sieg and NM. Also, with the exception of Xiba's 3Ab (i14), Xiba is also slower than Sieg or NM in general. I find that Sieg and NM both control space much better than him. While Xiba has many safe moves and hit-confirmable CH strings, Sieg and NM can also be played very safely. Put him in B rank.

Phyrra Omega should be put in A rank. Her stabs are ridiculous, and there are many situations where those moves fit into. She has top-notch horizontals that also Tech Crouch, which also combos into her stabs. She has great spacing with 66B, awesome CE that fits into many juggles. 4B (I think that's the input) is an incredible strong move. Not only is it +frames on block (don't remember the exact number), but it also does good guard damage, and can lead to a nice combo on CH that uses (you guessed it!) stabs! Her grabs are some of the best in the game. AND to top it off, she has a really really annoying low that is very hard to react to, if not impossible. I would ever make the case that she deserves to be S tier, maybe not quite, but damn close.

I like reading tier lists mostly because I'm interested in what others think and comparing it to my own assessment. If you disagree with me that's fine just don't be an ass about it is all I'm asking.

GoobieDoob said on September 21, 2013 at 5:19 p.m.

Um, Voldo//Leixia//Aeon are way better than 3rd and 4th tier... but Patroklos and αPatroklos should be lower XD. Like, waaaaay lower.

CauseGrief said on July 20, 2014 at 7:19 p.m.

SS Viola,
S Pyrrah Omega, Natsu, Mitsurugi,
A Alpha Patrokolos, Pyrrah, Yoshimitsu, Tira, Algol,
B Voldo, Nightmare, Seigfried, Patrokolos, Maxi, Ivy, Xiba, Leixia,
C Cervantes, Astaroth, Aeon, Ezio, Hilde, Devil Jin,
D Raphael, Dampierre, Z.W.E.I,

Viola is a menace if used flawlessly.
Pyrrah omega is underrated, reference "bboyskyzo" insane. (Seriously)
Alpha Patrokolos has the potential to be in S so take from that what you will.
Finally, for the remainder of the characters, the fight could go either way providing you're the same skill level as your opponent.
Raphael sucks.