Daigo vs. Bonchan first to seven Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition v2012 exhibition

Posted by Jonathan 'Catalyst' Grey • May 31, 2012 at 9:36 a.m. PDT
MCZ|Daigo Umehara (Ryu) and Bonchan (Sagat) squared off in first to seven Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition v2012 set a little ways back as part of the Taito Station 20th anniversary event. Unfortunately, the stream quality was fairly low, but the Taito Station folks have uploaded the clip in very nice quality now on to YouTube for your viewing pleasure.

These are two very high level players going back and forth, and it's a nice preview of what people will be in for when Daigo hits CEO in two weeks.

Tip from Sunblade.

Comments

GokaiGreen said on May 31, 2012 at 9:49 a.m.

WhyIDie said on May 31, 2012 at 9:51 a.m.

something about kokujin's distinguishable commentating always gets me hype, even if I don't ever understand a word he's saying

Anon said on May 31, 2012 at 9:55 a.m.

Tiger, hadoken, tiger, hadoken, tiger, hadoken, tiger, hadoken, tiger, hadoken, tiger, hadoken!

Oh wait...it's not 2008 and I'm not a noob. Great play by both of them. I love the classic Ryu/Sagat matchup, and used by the two best respective players.

Von_Kunlun_BOOF said on May 31, 2012 at 10:27 a.m.

People still complain about fireballs?

Really?

handsofgod said on May 31, 2012 at 10:38 a.m.

fujdhfaodjfldskfjdao wow! that was flipping sick!!!!! i must say imo ssf4 aev12 is the best fighting game ever made... watching this made me miss the game so much i havent touched it since sfxt as i felt i needed something new but watching this reminds me, this game is sick! some crazy moments in this match i see daigo up gears a few times and then vice versa! daigo looks ready cant wait for evo and ceo

mischiefs said on May 31, 2012 at 10:49 a.m.

People who complain about fireballs don't get the game...it is like when people doesn't understand a sport and only see "eleven kicking a ball" or a "a bunch of fatties hitting a ball with a stick".

ElPistoleroGL said on May 31, 2012 at 10:55 a.m.

Those commentators get SO hype.

thegoldencat said on May 31, 2012 at 10:58 a.m.

If you watch any classic Daigo matches on youtube half the comments are idiots saying; he's just spamming hadoukens! Very annoying.

gaffel123 said on May 31, 2012 at 11:05 a.m.

@9 just ignore the haters man, 90% of the sf community are a bunch of scrubs

dorayaki said on May 31, 2012 at 11:31 a.m.

Daigo is the "Beast" Umehara, son!

peteystreet said on May 31, 2012 at 11:34 a.m.

People have to understand that fireballs is a tool of poke. That match was so epic. Daigo footsie game is amazing. He whiff punish everything. WOW!

gtfopanda said on May 31, 2012 at 11:38 a.m.

Lmao @ people complaining about fireballs, the game is like what, 4 years old?

RandomSelect said on May 31, 2012 at 12:01 p.m.

I used to find the Dhalsim V Ryu matchup boring until I realized there was a large amount of knowledge going into the match. Much like this one. Some people may find it boring, but when you really understand what's going on behind "just" the fireballs, you'll realize it's something more complex.

On another note, the commentary sounds like it's being done by Nuki x Kokujin, am I the only one who thinks so?

kaka said on May 31, 2012 at 12:17 p.m.

dat ex fireball to cr. hk! didnt even know that exist

Armourx said on May 31, 2012 at 12:19 p.m.

Lettuce be cereal here, Daigo earns his respect. Haters, feel free to form a committee, in a corner, somewhere far away..

Sang said on May 31, 2012 at 12:44 p.m.

Crouching tiger, hidden dragon.

Classic epic fight.

SabishiiRyuu said on May 31, 2012 at 1:11 p.m.

#13: The commentary is mainly done by Nuki. Kokujin and -R- throw some comments in between but it's mostly Nuki. It should be clear as there's noone as hype as Nuki.

SkoOby said on May 31, 2012 at 1:42 p.m.

Man I hate ppl who complain about fireballs too, I'm like ok, so I'm not suppose to use'em to accommodate you?lol jus like any game, u have to find ur way around whatever your opponent throws at you.

KiraYagami said on May 31, 2012 at 1:56 p.m.

great stuff

ESTAKA said on May 31, 2012 at 2:16 p.m.

The stream quality was low is an understatement, that stream was unwatchable, glad I can watch it now though.

Chousuke said on May 31, 2012 at 2:30 p.m.

I can't understand how people could find this boring. The whole video was full of awesome starting from the first match.

My mind is still recovering from being blown a few too many times in rapid succession.

DandyCheeks said on May 31, 2012 at 2:39 p.m.

Should've been crouching tiger shot, hidden dragon punch.

EnsignHiro said on May 31, 2012 at 2:44 p.m.

this is way better then the live quality via stream i saw. thanks for the upload.

love this matchup its always exciting from both perspectives. I love how hyped the commentators get its funny yet exciting! Cant wait for CEO so we can see Daigo fight in the USA once again :).

ElectricBlanka said on May 31, 2012 at 3:23 p.m.

Daigo is the "Beast" Umehara, son!!!

chosenst said on May 31, 2012 at 3:30 p.m.

The commentary in this video is SS Tier... and I can't understand a word of it.

thf24 said on May 31, 2012 at 3:58 p.m.

My friend says fireballs are "cheap". He also says combos, anti-airs, footsies, timed games, games less than best of 7 rounds, and anything that's not constantly jumping in and pressing random normals are cheap. Don't identify yourself as that kind of scrub by complaining about fireballs.

jjjjjoyboy said on May 31, 2012 at 4:51 p.m.

@everyone above defending fireballs. We get it, please stop basically saying what #3 said.

WinstonChurchill said on May 31, 2012 at 5:41 p.m.

We need more of this!!!! Great watch. Bonchan, best Sags in the world for me.

#1 you're clueless mate

Sage_Liebert said on May 31, 2012 at 5:50 p.m.

@WinstonChurchill

Better than RF Sagat?

WinstonChurchill said on May 31, 2012 at 5:56 p.m.

Personally I think there are a few better than RF. Leslie, AFG, Hart to name a couple. Don't get me wrong, RF is super decent though. I'd probably put Mago's Sags at the bottom.

Aluppoj said on May 31, 2012 at 7:32 p.m.

Lol, that guy must be a blast to play with!

kdavis851 said on May 31, 2012 at 9:59 p.m.

I agree with you. RF's a world class Sagat, but Bonchan and Leslie are the top of the line.

tidestick said on May 31, 2012 at 11:51 p.m.

And there playing on actual cabinets..NIce!! WNF should use cabinets..

sNsKid said on June 1, 2012 at 12:51 a.m.

I love AE when it's played with skill. Sometimes I wish I hadn't moved on to other fighters.

Madbeats said on June 1, 2012 at 1:35 a.m.

In AE 2012, Daigo has been missing the solar plexus link A LOT
lately (even vs Mago in Topanga League) that damage always adds up in a round, and his max damage output amongst other things is what makes him a beast...those errors might work against him in CEO/EVO

iojdsdsdf said on June 1, 2012 at 5:21 a.m.

J said on June 1, 2012 at 6:10 a.m.

Sick footsies.

llSilkCutll said on June 1, 2012 at 6:13 a.m.

The insane crmk pressure Daigo putting on there made it really difficult for Bonchan who with Leslie are the best Sagat's in the world.

The only reason why Japanese players are better is the have better execution i.e. they don't drop many combo's and they know how and when to block.

Great play by both - Really high level skill.

Seoul777 said on June 1, 2012 at 7:44 p.m.

I found it really awesome how bonchan would Focus cancel > throw/cr.strong into tiger knee vs ryu cr. forward quite a few times. Though on the flip side of him doing that if diago DIDN'T throw out cr. forward then that would somewhat force bonchan to back dash putting him closer to the corner. Who cares about "fireball spam". Do what it takes to win.

jelaninoel said on June 1, 2012 at 11:08 p.m.

Damn daigo is on tht kuroda level footsy status in

ipman said on June 2, 2012 at 12:24 p.m.

Daigo is the "Umehara" Beast, son?