Posted by Jonathan 'Catalyst' Grey • March 22, 2012 at 6:33 p.m. PDT
Svensson talks about the PC mod community for Capcom games, calling on-disc DLC something else Addressing a few questions from fans of Capcom, Christian Svensson once again delved into the Unity Boards to talk about the PC modding community that has sprung up around their games, and calling on-disc DLC by a different name.

Why don't you embrace the PC mod community for your games? There's some great stuff done out there, you could use it to your own benefit. — Eternal

Svensson: I love the modding scenes that have popped up around our games and at some point in time I'd love to see us do more actively to enable those efforts.

That said, there's a lot of hand wringing within the legal and IP depts when it comes to modding though. The concept of a derivative work starts to muddy the water of who owns the product or the mods. Secondly, modding opens up the community to infringe upon others' IP (say, a skin for Ryu made to look like Goku from DragonballZ). If we're enabling that ability, we also need to be able to police it and remove those infringing pieces from the community as we could have the liability in those cases, which takes time and resources. I think there are ways to work around that via a EULA and stuff, however there's a large hurdle to get folks past.

Lastly, there's the emotional connection some of the producers have to their games. Rationally or not, they don't want people changing the experience or the characters they've labored for 2+ years over. I don't agree but I know I've had exactly this conversation with a few producers in Japan on that front.

Capcom should use different terminology besides DLC since it is clearly not DLC. Call it time-release content or anything else. — Nick

Svensson: Noted. Thank you for the suggestion.

Comments

Staffinator said on March 22, 2012 at 6:38 p.m.

Call it what it is. A SCAM!!!!

Oroku_Saki said on March 22, 2012 at 6:43 p.m.

Utter bulls**t about that mod excuse. I remember playing an Unreal Tournament mod that gave everyone DBZ powers, and it's not like it caused any issues. Heck, my sister has Link in her playthrough of Skyrim, is that causing Nintendo to start wrangling their hands.
It's a mod created by fans and given out for free, stop the excuses Capcom. You don't have to police those mods. I use Photoshop for creating fanart and original artwork, do you think Adobe owns either the fanart or my original work¿
You companies are getting too big for your britches and need to be knocked down a peg or few. Maybe then, you'll appreciate your customers more.

bokosaki said on March 22, 2012 at 6:50 p.m.

Doesn't matter how you call it, a scam is a scam.

NyuBomber said on March 22, 2012 at 6:51 p.m.

@2 and Re: Mods in general - The way I read it is that they'd need to set-up legal and technical infrastructure to "support" and "embrace" mods Skyrim-style. That all costs money and hiring people. They have to weigh the cost-to-benefit for supporting something players do anyway.

Bethesda DOES own every mod made for Skyrim, BTW.

BestAlgorithm said on March 22, 2012 at 6:52 p.m.

What about... Slimy Business Practices? SBP

Chryo said on March 22, 2012 at 6:54 p.m.

@2 He's not saying they HAVE to police it. He's just saying that if Capcom got involved directly with an official mod distribution system or whatever (think Steam Workshop with Skyrim mods) they would have to bring in the red tape or work out something with their legal department, remember that they're a big company and they have to do things differently by law. If they just stay out of it and let modders do their thing everyone can have their fun. He's advocating the status quo.

roknin said on March 22, 2012 at 7:03 p.m.

Chryo has it exactly right. This is honestly probaby the best response on that front, as it's sort of a hint that they aren't going to block the modding process - just that they can't directly supply the tools to do it from a legal standpoint. Which makes sense.

LOL at the second answer - if they would have gone with that or something similar in the first place (in other words provided a lot more transparency in regards to additional content), this likely wouldn't have blown up as it has. The way it looks now, they purposely withheld content, whether it's completely finished or not.

That said, the DLC thing isn't even that big of an issue for me anymore (and really wasn't), as it's not like that's not a common practice in this day and age, sadly.

What is - and remains - an issue for me, is the lack of pair play and the fact it won't be fixed on the 360.

It's made me extremely wary of their future products, and the bad PR has helped mar what I feel is an very fun fighting game.

GokaiGreen said on March 22, 2012 at 7:07 p.m.

h4mx0r said on March 22, 2012 at 7:07 p.m.

For the record, while we've seen tons of mods throughout history that went unscathed, there were several mods that ended up receiving Cease and Desist orders, resulting in mod progress shut down.

I can't think of them off the top of my head now since it's been a while since I last heard about such a case. They were usually related to some anime though, and Bandai or someone getting all butt hurt about it, even though it wasn't being done for profit or anything.

LK said on March 22, 2012 at 7:19 p.m.

A scam is a scam IS a scam and is a scam.

Von_Kunlun_BOOF said on March 22, 2012 at 7:20 p.m.

I hate Svensson. How about not cheating people out of their money? How about giving us a game that's not busted in so many ways? Never buying a Capcom game again.

Fool me once, shame on you.
Fool me twice, F**k you.

EvilRick said on March 22, 2012 at 7:21 p.m.

Hey Svensson, I have a sugestion, I personally think it could be usefull in the future and could avoid topic wars on the subject.

Call it PADAD

Pay us
Again for the
Data that is
Already in
Disc

ricefarmer said on March 22, 2012 at 7:24 p.m.

samuraix025 said on March 22, 2012 at 7:24 p.m.

how about people go yell at netherealm, namco, and aksysnot call it dlc as well, capcom is taking a lot of heat for a common practice, just like my poor old Saints. but this isn't a foot ball site...

# 2 is a prime example of people who hop on a soap box ready to blast off at the mouth without dissecting what was actually said. Svensson said he supports the mod community.

but from a business stand point it cost money to officially support it. you have to get all the legal gargon in place and you do in fact have to police it as to not cause legal problems for your company.

thats all he was saying. besides with home brew mods you can do what you want and since capcom or whatever company has no legal binding to it they don't care. as long as said mod is not sold for profit.

and before its argued. capcom can't stop you from hacking sfxt, heck they can't even stop you from telling people how to hack it as long as you don't charge for the info. the ban hammer flies through the loop hole when you bring the characters onto xbl, thus breaking MICROSOFT'S Terms of Service.

RandomDP said on March 22, 2012 at 7:25 p.m.

Call it "SCAM"

S = Scumbag
C = Capcom
A = Acquiring
M = Money!

samuraix025 said on March 22, 2012 at 7:31 p.m.

@ 9 Hot Coffee is a major one. and that mod was already on disc (see what i did there lol) also to add to what I said about xbl and the ban hammer, the same goes for youtube. its all about Terms of Service. know what you agree to my friends.

RedRapperSux said on March 22, 2012 at 7:35 p.m.

I'm on board with calling it SCAM.

Chronoless said on March 22, 2012 at 7:40 p.m.

Now we understand what Capcom means when they say "the Character will not make it in the game if he wasn't consider to be in the game before release" - they mean "We already have them in the game, you just need a to pay to access them".

Chronoless said on March 22, 2012 at 7:46 p.m.

@13 and if Games were made in America, we wouldn't have any issue with once character being own by 2+ different company.

Ghost said on March 22, 2012 at 7:53 p.m.

This guy is always full of sh*t, as is the rest of Capcom.

icejohn said on March 22, 2012 at 7:55 p.m.

@1 n 15

lmao you guys win the internet

Aluppoj said on March 22, 2012 at 8:13 p.m.

No matter what he says, you guys say he's full of $hit.

Even though in this article he basically says, "feel free to mod, we'll turn our back".

No matter what the post, you scabs complain about Disk Locked Content.

Get over it.

People (yes, I'm speaking for a bunch of us) are tired of listening to you comment on buisness matters you clearly do not understand.

BlankaBeast said on March 22, 2012 at 8:23 p.m.

The mods are becoming more and more amazing if you are keeping track of PC version.

May 11th BABY!

maxs2d2ace said on March 22, 2012 at 8:28 p.m.

i got to ask a question. why do people even listen to this loser anymore? its not like he has any REAL direction on how they go about marketing in general. all he does is tell us on how capcom japan is going go about doing things. he's nothing more than a "yes sir, your always right sir".he even said he wised they handdle dlc a little better. all the people you really need to talk to and rage on never show their faces. seth,ono,seeven,ect art just the messengers.

samuraix025 said on March 22, 2012 at 8:29 p.m.

@ 23

I'm one of the people you speak for. that's for sure. everyone who owns sfxt bought the game knowing they were going to get 38 characters as advertised on the box, and 12 more as stated at the press conference shortly after release. that fact alone negates any and all accusation of "scaming", but far be it from me to make sense -_-.

kshein said on March 22, 2012 at 8:36 p.m.

ULC: UNLOCKABLE CONTENT nuff said

ElHiznahn said on March 22, 2012 at 8:36 p.m.

The Day of Judgment is upon you, Scumcom

Nago said on March 22, 2012 at 8:37 p.m.

"I'd love to see us do more actively to enable those efforts."

In other words: "I would love to find a way to steal these people's work and sell it to you."

Arcadiac said on March 22, 2012 at 8:44 p.m.

Oddly enough i feel better about it being called time release!

Tensa said on March 22, 2012 at 8:58 p.m.

its funny when someone at capcom responds with a normal answer he gets hate but if ono trolls people still get mad? Well I guess people wouldnt be mad if the characters wasnt on the disc

EvilRick said on March 22, 2012 at 8:59 p.m.

In any case and all jokes aside, I find the question rather stupid, because it is obvious that changing the name will not make anyone less angry about it.

Funny how Capcom only answers stupid questions but never goes on and take on the serious questions.

"In what do you bas eupon your "DLC" budget when the game is not even out"

or

"Do the 12 characters were gonna be on the disc at first but Sony payed you for esclusive content at the Vita?"

or how about

"What's your bussines plan model that allows you to work 12 full characters 9 months before their official release but not and advertised game mode on the XBOX360 concole?"

EvilRick said on March 22, 2012 at 9:04 p.m.

Or even simpler!

"What is the real reaosn for which you have no intention of patching the XBOX version with the missing game mode?"

Because so far they ha djust said "We're not patching it" but they ah dnot said "we're not patching it because of..."

Eternal said on March 22, 2012 at 9:12 p.m.

FYI That isn't all of my question. Part of his response makes more sense when you see that I had included examples of using Steam Workshop as a method of embracing the mod community. Steam workshop of course does not allow copyright materials or "adult" oriented stuff. However I also point out in another reply that the point of costs and labor is a bad excuse since Bethesda, Valve, and the much smaller company Paradox Interactive are all taking part in the Steam Workshop system.

If a company as small as Paradox can do it, so can Capcom. Really what it comes down to is that all of those companies are PRIVATE owned companies which means that they don't have to explain every dollar they spend to shareholders and they don't spend all of their time trying to maximize profits while minimizing costs and production (e.g. Pay more to get less.)

Capcom is a publically traded company, and one of Japanese origin. Both of those things work against the fanbase as publicly traded companies care about shareholders first, product second, marketing third, and fans somewhere near the bottom. And Japanese companies are much more secretive, and much less in touch with their fans than western companies.

Devdan said on March 22, 2012 at 9:25 p.m.

Oh hey people are still whining about the DLC instead of playing the game cool.

gammabolt17 said on March 22, 2012 at 9:28 p.m.

Thank you Aluppoj! They won't listen, but you're damn right.

caruga said on March 22, 2012 at 9:34 p.m.

I don't see the problem with the locked content. If they had presented the content as being available on purchase it would be different, but it wasn't. Whether it's content you don't own on their disks or on yours, where's the difference? Were you planning on using the extra real-estate on the disc for something?

Aluppoj said on March 22, 2012 at 9:50 p.m.

@samuraix025, Gammabolt17 and Caruga.

No, thank you guys! It's awesome that you guys consistently post using common sence and intelligence.

Our voices are few and far between. But it's the main reason I still post on this site.

@EvilRick

Your comments #33,34. I'll actually support you this time! At least those are VALID questions.

It's a departure from your usual ranting about how unfair Disk Locked Content is. Hopefully this means you're improving.

If I were a guessing man. I'd GUESS Sven would probably tell you they were two separate teams working on "online features" and "character development".

Probably had two different time tables. Two different budgets.

Again, I'm guessing.

But as firmly as I believe the DLC is legit. I also believe X-Box users have a legit complaint about the missing modes.

I'm just fairly certain the modes are unrelated to the 12 Disk Locked characters.

EvilRick said on March 22, 2012 at 9:53 p.m.

@38: Well, it's kind ahard to say as the answer seems to be plain stupid but, true, they never said the characters were gonna be in the game, but the problem is they are actually on the disc, and while it's true we don't own the content from the disc, it is also true that you and me as costumers deserve full acces to the content of the disc we already paid (note that having acces is not the same as owning the content, detail that several people around here seems to be missing). It is like if you buy a music CD that has anadvertises 15 songs, but the you din out that the disc has 2 extra songs already on it that you can only listen if you pay again...

Some people around here see the complain as an act of "whining2 but the truth is, Capcom has not made any solid official respond to this action, so far they had just made like 2 barebones "explanations" for this act, but nothing really solid or trustable. People want answers and critique them or even insult for that in my opinion looks really unfair and unrespectfull. Perhaps if Capcom had goone out and say "We put the data characters in disc because of this, and this, and this, and that, and this, and because of this, this, this and that" then people may be not complaining at all.

for_me_it_was_tuesday said on March 22, 2012 at 10:17 p.m.

if he hasnt got nothing good to say i think he should just shut the fuk up coz its just making things worse for scamcom,

spotlesseden said on March 22, 2012 at 11:06 p.m.

just can U(unlockable)LC

Estebest said on March 22, 2012 at 11:34 p.m.

@40 38 characters (Xbox)/43 characters (PS3) is what was advertised and was what you got. As a consumer, yes you own the disc and you own everything on it. If you know how to access the extra content that's on it then Capcom can't legally do anything about it. It's yours, but they don't have any legal responsibility to give you access to it. The Xbox Live bans come from Microsoft, as this is a violation of their Terms of Service.

Honestly though, had the 12 characters not been on the disc but you somehow knew they were already completed still would you still be mad? It's honestly the same thing in the end.

DLC for games is almost always planned during development of the game itself. The arguments of "well they had time to finish DLC but not ___" doesn't really hold. Different teams work on different things. DLC is usually developed from a separate budget and thus needs to generate it's own revenue.

Now the lack of local co-op online for the 360 version is a completely valid complaint. An advertised feature that was cut without any word from Capcom pre-release about it is stupid as hell.

samuraix025 said on March 22, 2012 at 11:57 p.m.

Finally someone understands!

EvilRick said on March 23, 2012 at 12:22 a.m.

@43: Yes, I probably would still be mad, but mad in a way of "damn, I'm upset I have to wait 9 months to download something that is complete today's date" probably would be just complaining about them not releasing the characters sooner.

My current complain isn't about they releasing the characters fro free, yes I'm not happy with the way DLC is worked IN GENERAL on game companies today. I'd like to think that DLC should be worked after game release disc, not prior but well, that's a general problem on all gaming companies, not just Capcom and yes, we as costumers may not be aware of how all this DLC & game budgets work. My complain right now as a gamer & costumer is that Capcom is not telling us anything, maybe if they had come out and said "Guys we know you're upset but please try to understand that we had X budgets for the DLC planed, tha the characters were worked by a totallly diferent developement team, that since the begining they were planed as DLC, that they decided to add them on disc becaus ethe developements realised this was the most convenient way for adding the characters, etc, etc..." I bet that if they had come out and say smething like this, at least a 60% of the complainers would had shut up an bought the game, me included, but no, nothing, so far the only 2 lame answeres we got were "It was made to save hard drive space" and "I wish it had been worked in a diferent way" and these 2 answers tell me nothing. I need YOU CAPCOM to convince me this is not a thieving or an abuse of your costumers, but you're not doing it, instead you had decided to just ignore the fact we know with both issues; the characters and the XBOX missing modes, you haven't explained yourself on these 2 matters and until you do, I refuse to buy your product.

I'm not a whiner and I'm not bithcing and I don't want those 12 to be worked for free, I want answeres, I want reason that lead me to believe that they'r ebeen fair and taking decitions that work for everybody and Capcom are not giving them.

Estebest said on March 23, 2012 at 12:28 a.m.

@45 Fair enough, that's not at all unreasonable.

gammabolt17 said on March 23, 2012 at 12:39 a.m.

Common sense escapes these people so your very right words will go unheard. You are damn right, though.

tehdud said on March 23, 2012 at 12:54 a.m.

MS should tell Capcom to **** off and fix the port first before banning anyone.

SnakeX said on March 23, 2012 at 1:10 a.m.

"As a consumer, yes you own the disc and you own everything on it. If you know how to access the extra content that's on it then Capcom can't legally do anything about it."

This is 100% incorrect.
Like ALL media, you don't own the contents of the disk. When you buy a DVD, video game, CD, you are paying for the license to access the content that is made available to you. You do NOT own everything on it, and are specifically prohibited from accessing and altering the content of a disk that is not already made available to you. Just because gamers have a sh*tty sense of self-entitlement, it doesn't somehow exclude them from this.

Read the back of any case of ANY video game, DVD, etc etc. It says it all right there, and every user agreement has these words and more in them.

Despite how anyone tries to spin it, hacking and digging through the contents of a disk in ways other than intended IS illegal. Sorry kids. This isn't an opinion. This is a legal fact.

Aluppoj said on March 23, 2012 at 1:11 a.m.

What happened to you Rick? You're starting to sound kinda normal lol!

Keep going. Soon you'll be "NormalRick" lol.

But you should stop torturing yourself. Sven isn't going to give you all of the answers you're looking for.

Most of the people on this site (myself included) have explained when/why it was done this way. Are we Capcom? No. But are we Smart? Yes.

Sadly, in the meantime your missing out on a really fun game.

I know the Missing Co-op is a kick in the balls. And I respect any decision not to buy the game based on that reason.

But...

If you can get past the Co-op mode, buy it. It's a blast.

Estebest said on March 23, 2012 at 1:31 a.m.

@49 What you're describing applies to digital media. Physical media is a bit different. You bought the disc, it's yours and you can do whatever you want with it. As long as you're not making profit from it, decompiling and releasing the data itself, you're not breaking any laws by digging into the disc.

Zenman said on March 23, 2012 at 2:14 a.m.

@2 He's talking about doing something official with them, the mods you mentioned are made by the community and not officially endorsed by the publishers.

SoundwaveButcher said on March 23, 2012 at 2:22 a.m.

"at some point in time"

Means NEVER.

BumblebeeCody said on March 23, 2012 at 2:59 a.m.

CAPCOM doesn't mean CAPsule COMputer.
It's
CAPitalist COMmunist. It's all about the money.

TheDeadTexan said on March 23, 2012 at 3:37 a.m.

How stupid can you be?

Please read a god damn book and find out the differences between capitalism and communism next time you post.

I weep for the future.

for_me_it_was_tuesday said on March 23, 2012 at 3:54 a.m.

what one republic would say to capcom, its too late to apologize, its too laaaate, ye he yeyyy. lol

" Most of the people on this site (myself
included) have explained when/why it was
done this way. Are we Capcom? No. But are
we Smart? Yes."

no dude u aint smart,u were brainwashed, to capcom guys like u are a tool for easy milking

Reality said on March 23, 2012 at 3:56 a.m.

Aluppoj said on March 23, 2012 at 4:33 a.m.

Lol, you are pathetic. We've established a long time ago that you're a $hit talking LIAR that also OWNS SFxT!

You've had the game. You've commented in the threads. You've talked about the controls.

You've supported the SAME company you BASH everyone else for supporting!

You are a complete idiot. And a liar. I wish you'd be banned from speaking on EH because you aren't even man enough to be honest!

If you have to lie from behind your keyboard, I can't begin to Imagine what a slimy little snake you must be in person.

Do you live near a bridge? Use it.

LitchiFayeLing said on March 23, 2012 at 5:20 a.m.

ooooooooo

God DEEM

JTLaVi said on March 23, 2012 at 5:25 a.m.

@54 Oh jesus christ lmfao.

On a side note, i don't think any of these characters look interesting at all and as such i won't be buying them. Surely i'm not the only one in this boat? It's a much less irritating issue when you genuinely have no intention of buying any of the characters!

Unknown_Unknown said on March 23, 2012 at 5:28 a.m.

@Aluppoj I don't believe this dlc is legit. I can't prove this so I guess going with my gut feelings makes me an idiot, huh. And since you were in the room with the big wigs when this idea was conceived you would have infinite knowledge on the situation. I was wrong to ever question any information given to me. I bow down to you old wise one.

Aluppoj said on March 23, 2012 at 5:40 a.m.

No, not at all. Not agreeing with the DLC is fine. Raging it and flaming Capcom/Consumer based on "your gut instinct" isn't.

Which you clearly haven't done. So it's all good.

Thank you for bowing down before the great one. I'm glad I've commanded your respect. Everything is as it should be.

Kenshiro said on March 23, 2012 at 6:02 a.m.

Lol it's not a common practice for bounties to be placed on players of the opposing team. Don't worry though Drew Brees is doing enough crying for the fandom.

On topic nice Krang mod ^_^

e3vl said on March 23, 2012 at 6:06 a.m.

Shouldn't time-release content be free? Look at Team Fortress 2 for example

Kenshiro said on March 23, 2012 at 6:31 a.m.

That's why it makes no sense to call it anything other than DLC.

A technicality on where it's downloaded from doesn't change the fact you must pay to use it legally.

Jandro83 said on March 23, 2012 at 6:41 a.m.

I agree with #2, just stupid excuses. those defending Capcom are dumb sheep, look at Forza's vinyls for example. You don't see T10 banning users for making vinyls of copyrighted stuff that doesn't belong to MS. Modding is there for the user's IMAGINATION to flow, they can't take legal action on that.

Jedda678 said on March 23, 2012 at 7:08 a.m.

Lmao I'm just reading all this...75% of you are complaining about the content on the disc. STILL COMPLAINING! You idiots need to open your eyes. TONS OF COMPANIES DO IT SHUT YOUR MOUTH. Next, yes Svensson is an a**hole, he clearly just puts things bluntly, but he isn't responsible for the DLC, or the fact they won't fix xbox live, that is marketing and development from the team who made SFxT. Next saying Capcom scammed you, clearly it was false advertising for the xbox version of the game. But look at the commercials, they clearly advertise for PS3. Yes I'm mad I can't invite my buddy over and run him through online with me unless he's on xbox live at his own home, but I don't care really, sometimes I hate teaming up when I can't call my partner in when I want.

But lets get our priorities straight. We want bug fixes, April 3rd is the first shot at that, hopefully they get it right. If they don't then we should yell and complain about that. Anything else is secondary at this point.

Championship_Edition said on March 23, 2012 at 7:36 a.m.

In point of fact copyright holders COULD contact Microsoft and complain about infringing images in Forza. This is what people fail to understand. Just because someone hasn't been told to stop doing something yet, does NOT mean that by some regulation somewhere, they're not in violation.

This problem came up with LittleBigPlanet early on. Sony was paranoid and started removing custom levels that referenced copyrighted work. After a lot of outcry, they generally stopped doing that. The reason is that it's clear the user generated content was tribute and satire, and Sony nor the users were profiting commercially from it. IP holders did not contact Sony and start complaining. Contrary to the image the RIAA and MPAA gives off, most rights holders realize they can't waste time and money policing every technical violation that is harmless.

Sven may be a mouthpiece, but his answer here is correct. Technically rights holders could contact Capcom and bitch about someone making a Goku skin for Ryu. Odds are, they would not do that because they'd realize the fan works are doing no harm, so long as the fans didn't start selling custom mods for money. But legally, it's always best to play it safe and say it's a thorny area that would have to be investigated further.

As for the usual DLC complaining... go yell at the rest of the game industry too. It seems Capcom fans are just crying now because they haven't been paying attention for the last seven years.

Jandro83 said on March 23, 2012 at 7:54 a.m.

It is NOT infringement. User made content is for FREE entertainment and they are not profiting from it. The key word here is PROFIT, I got a close friend who is a DJ and has a cd coming out soon, I asked him about these mixes and stuff where you put different artists in songs, he told me he does NOT require any permission and is not violating anything as long as it's for entertainment without profit. Now in HIS cd he told me, he can't put any mixes with other artists involved cause then it would be illegal, he has to do his own custom tracks. Mods are USER creations, it has NOTHING to do with Capcom or whoever made the game cause a user has a RIGHT to do whatever the hell they want with their game so no one can sue Capcom for it and neither the user UNLESS he is profiting from it somehow.

Kooldude2005 said on March 23, 2012 at 8:19 a.m.

To be honest all companies (not just Capcom) should be more transparent with regards to providing ALL information at point of sell for their products and the contents within that they're selling to the consumer.

I personally believe that games such as SFXT should have notification on the packaging that there may be 'disk locked content already on the disc that may require additional payment to access' or something along those lines; so that people are fully aware prior to purchasing and can choose whether to buy the product or not.

I find Capcom's tactics deceitful in relation to these 12 additional characters being incomplete with their initial press release on the matter and only came clean that they were actually on disk completed or nearly done so - until exposed.

I feel cheated in some way, and yes this practice has been going on for some time; however I believe Capcom has gone too far this time and have become to avaricious.

I'm still a fan of Capcom and the games that they make, however they have lost me as a primary consumer; I will no longer buy any of their games I'm interested in on day one release - at full retail price; but happily wait 6 months down the line and get it cheaper or second hand; to counter the additional costs of all this “DLC” they abundantly put out, should I choose to buy any of it that is.

EvilRick said on March 23, 2012 at 10:16 a.m.

@50: Sadly, you're not Capcom so I can't take your explanations as a valid one, and if Capcom does not explain that with their own words, it leads me to believe they have no good reason or escuse to tell.

More insultive of all is the missing game mod eon XBOX360 which hurst me mor ethan the characters, my cousin and I always loved to tema up and play videogame sisnce the SEGA genesis, where is the fun for us if we can't team up on this game and go online? Just play the arcade or local matches against each other? Where is the ultimate fighting experience on that? And what has Capcom said? Nothing, first "it's microsoft concole's architecture" which was one of the dumbest answeres anyone could had ever made and I do hope that the idiot who wrote that got fired. Then "we ran out of time and resources to do that", this is just... how the hell do you run out of time to develope and advertised game mode on one veriosn of the game but get time to work 12 complete "DLC" characters and two sets of altern costumes months before their release for two consoles?! It makes no sense and thats what pisses me off more from the DLC locked in disc, did you gave more time to this than to a basic game mode?

And then what they say? "We're not patchin it" Why the f@ck you're not patching it? You can't patch it or you don't want to patch it?! Explain me because so far it kind alooks to me that Sony amde a deal with you for removing content from the XBOX version, and under those conditions, I'm not supporting your game.

No! You must patch it, it is adverstise on the manual, you have to bring it, don't go "we're not patching it" you ahve the guts to put locked content on disc? Then get the guts to fix a mayor issue like the missing game mode or at leats explain why you can't patch it.

for_me_it_was_tuesday said on March 23, 2012 at 10:38 a.m.

so if someone creates a goku skin for ryu that would make dbz company mad? selfishcom wouldnt want that, its free advertisement for the other companies even though it would attract some dbz fans to their games

Aluppoj said on March 23, 2012 at 10:41 a.m.

Fair enough. Blow up his twitter and/or CapcomUnity. Maybe you'll get the answers you are looking for.

I'm just saying that it's doubtful they are going to give you those answers. Capcom's PR department has made a ton of screw ups over the last few years.

While I enjoy the way they let us in on the development process, they end up shooting themselves in the foot constantly.

for_me_it_was_tuesday said on March 23, 2012 at 10:47 a.m.

@ 50

"Most of the people on this site (myself
included) have explained when/why it was
done this way. Are we Capcom? No"

your a mutant like professor x,readings peoples mind ? gtfo here man and stop licking capcoms @sshole making excuses for them

Aluppoj said on March 23, 2012 at 10:59 a.m.

Read comment #59

I'm done wasting my time on dirtbag liars. Change your ways like EvilRick has, then talk to me.

Someday you'll learn there is a way to make logical/intelligent complaints. Unlike the Vile Pool of Bile always spewing from your hole.

Go away you troll.

for_me_it_was_tuesday said on March 23, 2012 at 11:04 a.m.

a vote to eventhub users, who u guys want to leave this site, put ur @ss on the line fanboy, deal or no deal?

Aluppoj said on March 23, 2012 at 11:08 a.m.

Btw,

You don't have to be a Super Powered Mutant to use logic and the Amazing Powers of Deduction!

A 6 year old could figure out how/why they did it the way they did. I'm sorry that concept is so far over your head. It actually really sad.

If you and I were to converse in person you probably would confuse me with a God or a person with Super Powers.

Much like a Cave Man would be baffled by the Man of Today. Let me explain in Cave speak so you can understand.

You am Cave Man. Me am future man.

EvilRick said on March 23, 2012 at 11:11 a.m.

@Aluppoj: And you still believe It_was_yesterday and I are the same person with multi-accounts? -_-

anon1010 said on March 23, 2012 at 11:11 a.m.

Took me a while to realize who the modded skin for Seth was of, that's freakin' awesome.

Aluppoj said on March 23, 2012 at 11:12 a.m.

You joined the day after SFxT launched. I wonder why? To relentlessly troll? I think so.

You flame every thread. Catalyst will most likely ban you shortly. I least I hope he will.

After your lame post I hope people (by the 100's) tell you to leave:)

How old are you?

Aluppoj said on March 23, 2012 at 11:14 a.m.

for_me_it_was_tuesday said on March 23, 2012 at 11:14 a.m.

caveman better then future man who have cyber sex with capcom

for_me_it_was_tuesday said on March 23, 2012 at 11:19 a.m.

i think catalyst should ban you, its very convincing that ur a capcom damage control person working for 2bucks an hour

caruga said on March 23, 2012 at 11:55 a.m.

If you feel you deserve more then vote with your wallet. People find it easier to complain than inconvenience themselves with a boycott. How many of you complained about UMVC only to go and buy it? Truth is, they know you're vested in their line of fighting games, and they'll milk you for this and much more before customers will ever a draw a line in enough numbers for them to notice.

I think the whole being in bed with joystick manufacturers, creating a control scheme that is gruelingly difficult to master except on an arcade-style controller, and charging a premium for such a controller is a far worse travesty, but nobody seems to have a problem with that, it's become the accepted thing, a part of fighting-game culture. But to my eyes as a relative newcomer to the scene (as of 2009) it seemed (and still does seem) grossly unfair to have to spend many times the price of the game just to play the game and not have a huge execution barrier to overcome. I ended up spending about half that to build such a controller myself.

As for complaining about capitalism; without it, you wouldn't have any games at all.

As for physically owning the disk meaning you own everything on it, no. The IP is separate from the disk. If you buy a book you aren't just buying ink and paper, you're buying the _meaning_ of the words. It's an abstraction: the infinitely repeatable arrangement of matter-- that is the subject of ownership when it comes to IP.

aridarron said on March 23, 2012 at 12:18 p.m.

His answer is not good enough for me, limiting the modding tools intelligently to not include trademark logos, items etc is all that's needed, going through the combinations of items is what games testers are there for.

ownership can be capcom's own, really who cares! what good will it do me to own a digital custom made costume? it will be cool for maybe a year when the game is released after that i'll upload it on a website for others to use.

The third reason is the most likely imo and I can understand, in that case if the characters can't be modded, give fans the options to mod stages, camera angles, announcers, life bars etc, with the color edit mode in SFXT it means we can't change how Ryu looks but we can change his color? well I can live with that and I expect to see that same thing in SF5.

theniah said on March 23, 2012 at 1:23 p.m.

just start makin 8 bit games that don't cost millions of dollars to produce and we'll still play 20-30 bucks for that

armordinejad said on March 23, 2012 at 2:15 p.m.

Bigall said on March 23, 2012 at 7:13 p.m.

@Aluppoj Shouldn't you be wasting your time playing sft x tk that you like so much, instead of being here wasting time trying to convince us that you aren't wrong.

Aluppoj said on March 23, 2012 at 10:29 p.m.

I'm wrong about my opinion? How does that work? And I'm playing plenty of SFxT.

Thanks for the concern. Tool.

JIHADJOE said on March 24, 2012 at 2:27 a.m.

That's assuming the user does everything by himself. If he takes a DBZ texture to put on Ryu, then he it's no longer purely user-created content, and it potentially brings in a copyright problem with the owners of DBZ.

This is actually what's at the heart of the modding problem. Capcom would be fine if all the mods were purely original, but if they set up a distribution system for "user-created content", then any user might upload some Bandai or Konami copyrighted stuff and it will be Capcom who ends up with a problem because at the end of the day it's their distribution network serving out copyrighted content.

The present situation is actually pretty good, IMO. Capcom just leaves the modding community alone and doesn't have anything to do with it. Modders can make their Naruto x Ken models or whatever, and Capcom doesn't have to deal with any possible fallout.

MayorMcJustin said on March 24, 2012 at 10:47 a.m.

Wow, people find anything to bitch and complain about these days.
Just put it this way. No matter what anyone does, someone somewhere will find something wrong with it and not be completley satisfied. Yes, there are a crap load of things wrong with SFxT, the whole DLC or whatever you want to call it is the least of its problems. Like the sound issue and and launcher cut away online glitch. While I think the game is fun in its own sense, it makes UMVC look like a masterpiece.