Posted by Jonathan 'Catalyst' Grey • March 20, 2012 at 8:29 a.m. PDT
Harada responds to concerns that Tekken Tag Tournament 2's solo mode is too powerful - more gameplay footage A number of people have mentioned that Tekken Tag Tournament 2's solo mode seems too powerful, and Namco Bandai's Katsuhiro Harada recently hopped on Twitter to address those concerns.

Some people have been saying 1v2 is unbalanced, that a single character is too strong. — 3LON

Harada: No. If you are best of the best TAG player... you can beat the best of the best Single (solo) player.

How about Ingrid as the final boss in Tekken X Street Fighter? — 2_cody31

Harada: No good. I think almost all 'non-core Street Fighter X Tekken player' will say, "Huh? Who?"

After the jump you can scope out new gameplay footage of the title from Level Up Your Game, as Rip runs through the arcade mode against the CPU with Law and Paul. Note that Paul's Phoenix Smasher does a lot of damage whilst in solo mode with rage activated.

Submitted by Flying Wonkey, Rafael2487 and neoWhite.

Comments

zUkUu said on March 20, 2012 at 8:34 a.m.

Gouken x Jinpachi as boss fight.

RQNinja said on March 20, 2012 at 8:37 a.m.

They should reduce the power of the character to 1.5x in instead of doubling it

NyuBomber said on March 20, 2012 at 8:41 a.m.

Sorry Ingrid fans, but...

Yay!

GokaiGreen said on March 20, 2012 at 8:49 a.m.

zUkUu said on March 20, 2012 at 8:51 a.m.

no it's not fair btw. ONE opening leads to more damage. with a tag team you have to land more guesses right to actually to the same damage. +you need to tag out for health reasons = another weak spot.

also, just looking at Paul makes me so angry about capcom... why, oh why did they turn in into a low tier joke character? =/

darkspirit138 said on March 20, 2012 at 8:55 a.m.

Paul is not a joke character! He's my favourite second character with Law in the game. He has great footsies, good mix-ups, high damage-what else do you need?

SuperTurboFinisher said on March 20, 2012 at 9:04 a.m.

But its a tag game ffs. They should add a tag feature in tekken 7 lol

Endgame said on March 20, 2012 at 9:11 a.m.

#6 Better Mobility and safer moves.

In other words, Paul just needs everything to be faster, and he will be a solid character.

zUkUu said on March 20, 2012 at 9:20 a.m.

he IS a joke character. just look at his face?! whole alien / universe thing might not be new, but paul looked at least normal. pre tekken 5 he was pretty cool, characterwise and only had comedy moments with law. now he is nothing more then a retard.

and he needs a few things to work, in comparision with the rest of the cast.

just pick any of those and he would be much better immediatly. don't need all.:
faster shredder, ex version invincible till 2nd active frame, faster walkspeed, j.mp 5 frames, change j.hp with nj.hp, faster morta by a few frames, faster whiff recovery, smasher -4, c.mk 5/6 frames startup, mp sway groundbounce on CH, hp wallbounce on CH and/or safer on block, demolition man midscreen connectable, quicker forward dash or forward sway version, ex sway 1-17 invincible + 17 start up, lp sway immun till end, c.hp better hitbox, his heavy normals not -34... etc...
still gonna play him regardless ofc

Kolbe said on March 20, 2012 at 10:04 a.m.

Lol, I love Harada's answer! "No. It is balanced, you just suck. Deal with it". That's the spirit!

darkspirit138 said on March 20, 2012 at 10:22 a.m.

@8 The Mobility issue is definitely his biggest problem, since most of his combo enders leave the opponent really far away with no real way of catching up to them. I play Law with a lot of meter-building gems so if there I have made a mistake with Paul in terms of an unsafe move I normally switch Law in. Realistically, I haven't played against anybody good offline so I can't say how safe it is in that case.
@9 I would argue against your points against Paul, but they're all pretty valid. Other than his lp sway, I've found the other two to not be very strong. He is definitely lacking, I'm not arguing that. But people are very quickly dismissing him to be a bad character-which is what I've taken joke to mean now. He's not as bad as people say.

zUkUu said on March 20, 2012 at 10:27 a.m.

actually after smasher you can do a hk raze to be upclose and safe.

what I miss the most is actually a decent a2a normal that is both, quick and has a decent hitbox. j.lk is quick but has a terrible hitbox while j.mp has a good hitbox, it's simply too slow. and he needs a beter forward dash.

GakoTheChef said on March 20, 2012 at 10:47 a.m.

@9 and here i was thinking you were talking about tekken paul not SfxT paul saying hes a joke, pauls hair aint no joke son!

Wardog said on March 20, 2012 at 12:14 p.m.

Yes! leave it alone.. i want a great challange, every tekken vet wants this. i can't wait for this game to come out.

Cloukyo said on March 20, 2012 at 12:59 p.m.

Yes because,

Health regeneration, longer combos, better mixups, and ability to use two different styles is a total hindrance compared to playing as one character right?

I really hate how gamers try to backseat develop games, as if they know better than the developers themselves how the games are meant to be played. Do you idiots really think Namco didn't try different health values to see which ones were the most viable?

I'm fairly sure one player is considered beginner mode in this game, you're MEANT to play tag, like Harada said, the best tag player will beat the best single player.

SeriphAngel said on March 20, 2012 at 1:39 p.m.

There you go Harada. That is what I am talking about. Straigh to the point no bull crap answers. *applauds for telling people they either are good or they suck.* I still cannot wait to play 1vs2. Will I be victorious or be ruined? Doubt it will matter since I plan on being good at both either way.

RA_MO said on March 20, 2012 at 1:55 p.m.

Like him or not you have to admire his state of mind. He has been doing this for years and he is successful because of it and I do not care at the moment how much more successful Capcom is.. Give or take they did have a head start lol. But he knows what he is doing in terms of balance. I do not mean to drag anyone through the dirt but... With the exception of Tekken 5 Dark Resurrection, he has yet to make an updated version to any of his Tekken titles. I think if you truly do like your character... No matter how hard it is to win, you will find a way. I think 1v2 is fine as it is. Like he stated, if you really are the best of the best, you will overcome your opponent. The one player is pretty much on even terms with you... Damage output making up for two people hitting at full strength.. Sounds like double damage to me.. The fact that they life is greater than a team's and it regenerates.... Double life being like fighting two people at once and the regenerating is nothing more than the tag out feature.. Now with the double damage output... Now combos are cut pretty much in half. I just think like any fighting game... Complaints in ways really do show a person's skill level.. If you really are that good... Just deal with the handicaps. People have yet to ask him is the console version could possibly have a separate mode for this... But this again.. With the questions asked to game developers at times... I am not even surprised anymore.

illness690 said on March 20, 2012 at 1:56 p.m.

RA_MO said on March 20, 2012 at 2 p.m.

Also just throwing it out there... Where was all this complaining when people faced Unknown in Tag 1 one for the first time at?

Wardog said on March 20, 2012 at 2:05 p.m.

@SeriphAngel

Yes, 1 vs 2 will be fun and I can't wait to smash and get smash, in this mode.

shades_of_grey said on March 20, 2012 at 2:10 p.m.

When the 1 v 2 mode was announced, I was actually hoping that no help was given to the 1, I wanted a handicap match of sorts. Wanted that option for SFxT too. Would make for some great bragging rights if you could beat 2 of your friends in such a match. And with so many easy opponents online, I wish I could open a lobby where 2 strangers could challenge me at once. Not that I havent found any tough foes (i have), just that there are way more easy opponents online than tough ones.

Dan_CiTi said on March 20, 2012 at 2:13 p.m.

Thank God, Ingrid, Juni, and Juli are terrrrrrrible characters.

RA_MO said on March 20, 2012 at 2:14 p.m.

@shades of grey

Well these are the kind of things people should be bringing to Harada's attention. They should ask if they can make a handicap option for players (including online). Reduce the life of the one player or something to that extent. Offline will most likely have it but I wonder if they would put that in the online mode as well.

Reizo said on March 20, 2012 at 3:02 p.m.

Funny...seeing how ingrid is in the comic, why use her there to not bring her back somewhere else?

NyuBomber said on March 20, 2012 at 3:15 p.m.

@24 SFxT's comic.

Capcom's comic.

And they don't even hint at Ingrid in-game.

Considering how SFxT and TxSF's development are separate, Harada and Co. could very well come up with an entirely separate reason for the crossover.

ya_boy said on March 20, 2012 at 4:02 p.m.

at least this guy is straight up. but if Ingrid doesn't make it in the game at all with such high votes then he is just as crazy as Ono.

zxzxz said on March 20, 2012 at 5:21 p.m.

ingrid is the best.

RA_MO said on March 20, 2012 at 6:12 p.m.

Perhaps Ingrid is the character that will start merging all other universes together... Or perhaps Namco will have their own "Ingrid"

RQNinja said on March 20, 2012 at 9:14 p.m.

Well all I can say now is. Challenge accepted Harada

capcom449 said on March 20, 2012 at 9:22 p.m.

I don't expect Pandora mode itself carrying on to Tekken X Street Fighter, but will the story of Pandora carry on? Or is it to early to say.

Novacane said on March 20, 2012 at 9:47 p.m.

Like a Boss

RA_MO said on March 21, 2012 at 2:17 a.m.

@capcom449

Decent chance, at least at the moment.. There will not be a Pandora. But at this point in time.. Anything is possible. They could somehow replace rage with pandora if they wish to use it.. If not then rage will be the Pandora. I do find it kind of funny how in the SFxT storyline (canon or not) they just managed to live life side by side but neither anyone from SF or Tekken truly met up until this very moment.

But since neither title is canon, I guess it really does not need to make a whole lot of sense. It could be about a mind controlling Monopoly piece for all I care.. As long as it has good mechanics and is enjoyable... Then them kids will play <3

AngryToaster123 said on March 13, 2013 at 8:56 p.m.

@15, are you stupid? Solo characters regenerate too, and they regenerate faster. pnly dormant characters regen on the tag team. Lengthy combos don't mean anything when they don't do as much damage as a staple combo from solo chars. ON top of that, they don't have the burden of having to tag out. tag crashes drain health (regenerative health that is) while your other character is rendered helpless trying to run out. and I'm pretty sure they have higher health. And a Paul raged death fist on solo, need I say more? Stfu and stop siding with the franchise, solo is overpowered and that's that