Posted by Catalyst
March 12, 2012 at 8:39 a.m. PDT
Capcom: Some view DLC releases as gouging, others want more updates - where's the balance? When responding to a question about the future of the Street Fighter 4 series, Capcom's Christian Svensson talked about the dilemma that publishers face with their content. He mentions that some of their fans view multiple updates as more of a good thing, while others feel like they're being gouged.

He also covers the subject of female stamina in fighting games, and why it's traditionally lower.

Is there a chance for one more Street Fighter 4 game? — Kimbap629

Svensson: I'm not going to answer the question directly yet, but I'm going to instead ask a rhetorical question (or one and a halfish):

Some people view us releasing updates to our titles as "milking" or "gouging". Others actively request more updates and releases (as seen in this thread) because they love what we've made and would like more. And quite often both camps are upset when we don't do updates or offer additional post-launch DLC (even though some who complain are the same people who would hypocritically criticize us for "milking").

How do we serve both audiences, while at the same time effectively managing brand/genre strategy and also achieving our business objectives?

Lastly, this isn't a dilemma unique to Capcom. It is a tightrope that all publishers/developers walk. I'm hopeful that we will become better tightrope walkers in the future than we have been in the past.

Now, to answer the question (sort of), it's to be determined at this point in time. Such decisions are not made in isolation, but instead must be viewed through the lens such a product's impact and resource needs within our total fighting game roadmap.

Female characters always having sub par health in Capcom games lately. Is there a reason beyond misogyny? — Eternal

Svensson: Yeah, I don't think there's quite the bias you're claiming for but characters get balanced in different ways.

How much health a character has is just one parameter and it's far from the only parameter to look at.

Where do you think the balance point is on DLC updates? Leave a comment below with your thoughts.

Source: Capcom-Unity boards.

Comments

AnaboliChris said on March 12, 2012 at 8:44 a.m.

oh jeez who wants another iteration of SF4..the title is long enough as is..let it sit.

Majin_Acolyte said on March 12, 2012 at 8:45 a.m.

Villest1 said on March 12, 2012 at 8:47 a.m.

I hope that they still support SSF4 with downloadable content. That or get to working on SF5. :3

Relikk said on March 12, 2012 at 8:48 a.m.

The balance is not giving us stuff that's already on the bloody disc as "DLC".

ButterKnife said on March 12, 2012 at 8:49 a.m.

Females in fighting games should have low health and weak hits. Not for sexist reasons, but because they're always scrawny looking. Chun-li has some tough legs, but her arms are like 1/8th the size of a guy like Zangief. And don't even get me started on school girl characters.

When are we going to get some giant amazon woman? I would totally support her getting above average stamina.

Tsevin said on March 12, 2012 at 8:49 a.m.

There is no balance point. The people complaining are morons who would apparently somehow be appeased with having a longer download time and being charged MORE (to offset bandwidth costs) just so they're getting "true DLC". Then there's other people who just don't want updates at all, or they want the updates for free. You can't win.

SuperTurboFinisher said on March 12, 2012 at 8:50 a.m.

AE 2012 is fine. I did want dlc characters but after the twins ruined the balance, I think it better they way it is.

jason24cf said on March 12, 2012 at 8:53 a.m.

@Majin well said. I too hope that Capcom add's on to SF4 or just begin work on SF5. SFxT isnt for me. SFxT is all about a launch and thats boring. SF4 revived the FGC because it was an amazing game that kept it very simple. Not to many off the wall combos, animation and such. Just footsies, spacing and learning matchups.

mcfizzle said on March 12, 2012 at 8:54 a.m.

Do all the cosmetic costume/color DLC you want and have it on the disc if necessary.

New characters and gameplay related things are a no-no. Those need to come in additional title update and should never already be on the disc like SFxT. Having that stuff already available and charging for it later is the definition of milking/gouging.

I think most people are happy to pay for the additional dev time that goes into creating more content post release. Paying more for stuff that is already complete at time of release... not so much.

Jedda678 said on March 12, 2012 at 8:55 a.m.

Some people just complain to complain. It doesn't matter the topic. I garuntee you when 70% of the FGC gets their hands on the DLC they will hate how some characters play in SFxT. "Oh this guy is WAAAAY to OP" or "Ohhh they fudged up my character! I hate you crapcom radda radda!" You can't please everyone. It was the same with WoW. "Oh dungeons and raid content are too easy!" - WotLK "Oh dungeons and raid content are too hard!" - Early Cataclysm you can see where I am going with this. I admit I don't like having to wait for my DLC all the way until the fall just because the vita version is coming out then. But nothing we can do about it, we can bitch and complain all we want and I doubt Capcom is going to push the release foward of the DLC.

andriand said on March 12, 2012 at 8:58 a.m.

Name it as ULC then, UnLockable Content. I don't really mind with the DLC chars, but if naming it DLC is a problem, just address it differently.

Other games have very similar ways of selling their stuffs like that. If the contents are meant to be sold separately, then it doesn't matter whether it's in the disc or not. We have 40 chars anyway, that's already more than AE.

warriors said on March 12, 2012 at 9:01 a.m.

I dont know how this is hard
Yes its ok to pay 40 or 60 USD for a (NEW) game

No its not ok to pay 100+ USD for more or less the same game with minor enhancement and updates

40+10 for an old game is worst than 60 USD for a new game

Update old game to sell more copied to new-comers and make the update free for existing buyers, i.e. do not to resell updates to existing audience, make the market bigger

Make more and better games, sell more
Make less games, and make them more expensive, sell less

The problem is, they sell less copies than other genres, so they are trying to make the game more expensive to make more money

The fighting game market is turning itself into a niche market ...

The_Greench said on March 12, 2012 at 9:02 a.m.

All the controversy aside, this is the real hard truth: You can't please everyone.

The recent issues are tied to the question, "Where does DLC draw a line and stop becoming DLC?" They're right in that you'll have fans that want another SFIV, MvC3, and SFxT, while there are fans who would give up their left arm to let these games evolve and grow in the scene over a few years at least before the mention of an update.

The classic fighters that many fans consider the true gems, went untouched for years after it's final iteration and only then did they REALLY evolve; games like Super Turbo, Marvel vs Capcom 2, Third Strike, Alpha 3, CvS2, and so on. Whether you ended up competing in it after the community has rang it dry was your prerogative.

I think another issue with the question of update vs "milking" the fans is that many people feel like these current fighters don't have as much lasting appeal as the old ones did. I would have disagreed in 2009, however here I am, 2012, and I never thought I'd say it, but I really have no large interest in competing in SFIV at the moment---however I still watch many of the streams and enjoy the high level tournaments. I am competing in other fighters right now, but back then when I walked into my local arcade, I played the same machine for years and years. I competed at an intermediate - advanced level all the way up to the release of SFIV, where I then jumped ship.

And of course we know the real issue with the recent drama was the fact that the DLC was on the disc, rather than created later, legitimately. Yes it's true, not everyone prefers to have a new version of their favorite fighter EVERY year but it's not as controversial as the SFxT issues.

Capcom should at the very least take to heart that a big media blowout like this has been can only hurt the image of the game in question, SFxT. While it's true that this hasn't caused a "significant" amount of customers to have dropped their pre orders (Since the casual audience brings in the green far exceeding the hardcore) their hardcore fans are the ones that mostly support the second and third versions, and it's many updates. I know for a fact that while I purchased SFxT because I purely wanted to dive into a new system, I am unfortunately reminded of the catastrophic fan backlash the game has caused at least once a day---which only hurts your enjoyment of something.

Eckin said on March 12, 2012 at 9:06 a.m.

Capcom believes that DLC means Disk-Locked Content, which leads to a lot of confusion!

warriors said on March 12, 2012 at 9:06 a.m.

Capcom I have a suggestion for SSF4
1-Make a new update, add new characters, make the characters free for download for existing buyers

2- Make a new disc-release, make it 40 USD for standard (which include all characters + new ones) and 60 for Standard + Custom pack and any other aesthetic addons new arenas whatever

You will sell new copied of the game, make your market bigger, and make existing buyers happy, and I bet many of the current buyers will buy the new 60 USD disc

Kawalorn said on March 12, 2012 at 9:07 a.m.

You know when it's balanced? When you sell as DLC something taht WOULDN'T be in the game normally if the concept didn't exist.

Kirin said on March 12, 2012 at 9:12 a.m.

Sven, the DLC we are talking about is not Disk-Locked Content.
You are like selling us popsicles but charging us extra for the sticks.

Amerika said on March 12, 2012 at 9:17 a.m.

DLC is an acronym that is being used to fit everything. It covers free content, paid content and now it's even being used to cover what other games would call expansion packs or similar (SFIV to Super SFIV).

It can be confusing for quite a few people out there.

Personally, I have no problem paying for expansion pack content...assuming it isn't already on the disc I bought AND fully functional. I do not feel like I am entitled to that content BUT that is a major PR issue that Capcom should have handled better even if it required us to download a bigger update later. They appear to the average person as holding back content to milk people later...that's not my viewpoint but it is one that many will share and it won't be completely out of line either.

I have no problems with paid costume packs. However, I do have a problem with paid costume packs that are as expensive as what Capcom sells. I think that is another reason why DLC has such a bad name is the price gouging with 0 sales on stuff that a lot of companies would have either provided for free to keep interest up in the game or at a much much lower cost. But, I do not really care too much about costumes so it's not a huge issue to me.

It just seems like Capcom is completely disconnected from their audience. As if they have never hired world savvy marketing people who would know pretty much exactly how much negativity would come about with these decisions. Of course, they may have known exactly that and then analyzed some charts that say even though they piss off X amount of their audience and lose sales they will make up for it because the people who do buy will buy the expensive DLC. I truly hope Capcom is more ignorant with the former theory than evil with the latter.

DunnDeal said on March 12, 2012 at 9:18 a.m.

Weren't you people just complaining about having to buy SF4 3 times already? Now you want another update? You don't know what you want. Just let the game die if it's gonna die.

Wheelman56 said on March 12, 2012 at 9:20 a.m.

How do you please both groups? Do just like the golden age of gaming and offer some FREE UPDATES. FFS I'm surprised they didn't charge for AE2012.

Jerecaine said on March 12, 2012 at 9:24 a.m.

SF4 has had a healthy lifespan, just let it die out within the next 10 years. It's been through FOUR versions ffs, we don't need a 5th.

Marvel is the game that needs help. It's like they left that on the side to bleed out. And for the record I don't really care about the DLC issue, I just want some more support for it

ThinkJurgen said on March 12, 2012 at 9:28 a.m.

I call BS on Svens answer to balancing.

Example: Sagat and Rose, Rufus and Ibuki, Ryu and Sakura, Abel and Makoto.

They all have the same game plan, whether it be zoning, rushing down or even being versatile. Though, in the end, their stamina rankings are vast apart.

Getdownbrown83 said on March 12, 2012 at 9:29 a.m.

@5 yea it might be pretty cool to have a amazon chick how like she hulk is I'm down

triplefierce said on March 12, 2012 at 9:33 a.m.

Capcom could have avoided all of this had they disclosed all info on DLC before launch and made DLC characters available on day 1.

Forza 4 is a very good example of how to handle DLC. They made it very clear that car packs would be available monthly after the game's release, but they would not be integral to play the core of the game. No drama at all, the community accepted it positively.

Capcom saying the DLC characters were unavailable because they were still being developed, only later to find out that they are done and locked on disc is disingenuous and disrespectful to the players that continue to support them. They should have been forth coming about EVERYTHING and made everything available on day 1.

Kirin said on March 12, 2012 at 9:34 a.m.

Should be somewhere in the disc.

boobee_cakes said on March 12, 2012 at 9:34 a.m.

If Capcom really wanted to sell you the rest of the game, they should have adopted the "online pass" approach. Reward those that buy new and also give people an incentive to buy new. I would have been fine with this.

I can see the issue with having to download all the characters. Not everyone has a HDD with the 360 and also like the 3rd tier of costumes in SFIV, people wont be able to see or play against the characters, deciding the online community.

I think the balance to this, is release it at a fair price. I would drop $15 to have the rest of the cast unlocked. Also it would be really cool if buying on Vita would unlock the characters on PS3, like how you can get all the DLC on Vita version of Mahvel.

Azuregum said on March 12, 2012 at 9:39 a.m.

This guy has had a week to come up with damage control and this is the best he can do? He really is awful at his job and should be fired.

SnakeX said on March 12, 2012 at 9:40 a.m.

The people constantly complaining about on-disk DLC need to realize that this is not some new practice that Capcom invented. It's been a part of games for YEARS now. Blame the way the industry is headed if you really take issue with it.

You seem to be forgetting that DLC is optional. You don't HAVE to buy it if you deem it to be too expensive. Don't act self-entitled.
Like you briefly alluded, at the end of the day the best way to make a point is with your wallet.

Lol what?

WinstonChurchill said on March 12, 2012 at 9:45 a.m.

Rule number 1: You can't please everyone.

Lesson number 1: People in the FGC love to whine about EVERYTHING!

Cinderkin said on March 12, 2012 at 9:46 a.m.

I want Street Fighter ALPHA 4! Make it happen Capcom.

Azuregum said on March 12, 2012 at 9:47 a.m.

No, you have to blame individual developers because not every developer abuses the DLC system like Capcom.

In regard to your second point, costumes and cosmetic DLC is optional. Gameplay-affecting DLC isn't optional if you play competitively.

BrokenArmsGordon said on March 12, 2012 at 9:47 a.m.

It's not the quantity, it's the quality... and the way that the releases are staggered and secreted away to service the great big hype machine.

More characters are great. Being caught in a lie about more characters which are being held back just to hype up another platform at the end of the year is not so great.

SnakeX said on March 12, 2012 at 9:47 a.m.

Isn't it already clear that DLC characters are not integral to the core gameplay? You are still able to play the game without them. It's not like they locked away super meter and told us we had to pay for it later if we wanted it.

Also, Ono/Seth didn't say the characters were still being developed. They said they were still being balanced. Big difference. The example given involved Blanka, who they were still trying to balance so that he wouldn't be ass in this game's format.

Besides, the reason they're not available yet is because of the Vita version not because they're simply holding out on people. It is the ONLY reason we have to wait for the characters; because the Vita version has to have that perception of exclusivity in order to garner sales. Had they not wasted any time towards developing the Vita version of SFxT, we wouldn't be in this predicament.

oniru said on March 12, 2012 at 9:49 a.m.

I always assumed I was trading stamina for speed with female characters.

halo said on March 12, 2012 at 9:49 a.m.

#24 You kidding me? Forza to me is the worst example. How could cars in a car game have no effect in the game?!! They are the game! They release so many over-priced packets to a game that i never bothered.
Capcom's strategy IMO was much better with SF 4. They initially said they would only sell cosmetic stuff like costumes and even then people where crying foul and milking. SSF IV was unavoidable since they explained it a zillion times how the vanilla was not made so it could support such large stand alone DLC. Then when A.E. edition came, which the fans requested, they gave us both DLC and physical disk options. The only case where they messed up was with MVC3 and there they gave the Japan quake as a reason which many felt it was a lame excuse but hey, was it? Japan is still bleeding from that financially. They made a call and released UMVC3 as a separate game and it was a mistake and they paid for it with low sales.

Now coming to SF X T, it is OBVIOUS that Sony sweetened the deal with Capcom to hold back the 12 extra fighters from home consoles until the Vita version came out first. When the names and some photos leaked, Capcom spoke about the matter openly and officially and said those 12 are to appear on the Vita first (not exclusively). We do not know what the deal would have been if it wasnt for the Vita version. Sure, it leaves room for doubt this time around but its not as bad as people make it out to be IMO. What is the big difference between this and ME3 having a crucial episode come out as day 1 DLC? I think it is obvious that big companies are still testing the DLC area, seeing what consumers like and dont like and what they eventually end up buying or not. They will make mistakes, they will stumble and yes, it is up to us to show them what we are prepared to accept or not. But acting so aggressively IMO is not the answer

Azuregum said on March 12, 2012 at 9:50 a.m.

The characters are done. There are enough gameplay videos to prove that.

KissofPoison said on March 12, 2012 at 9:52 a.m.

We aren't milked if we find value. Emphasis on value. I use UMVC3 and SSF4AE as examples. Those were not value, and they don't use fan input as basis for decision. I am all for paying Capcom loads of money if they have a product I deem of enough value and I'll be as happy as can be. Just stop treating the community as idiots. Their is a reason your cast of characters gets leaked, dlc is outed and such.

jpnn80 said on March 12, 2012 at 9:53 a.m.

#1 Totally agree, too bad Capscamcon mistook SFxT DLC for DISC LOCKED CONTENT, and their fans for idiots...

#8 Funny how you emphasize footsies, spacing and learning matchups as pros of SF4, as they become even more important in SFxT as being able to combo & launch with your opponent rely even more heavily on knowing the reach of his normal moves as well as yours...

SoundwaveButcher said on March 12, 2012 at 9:54 a.m.

Just give us Hugo,Poison,Rolento,Elena,and Charlie for SF4.

ThinkJurgen said on March 12, 2012 at 9:54 a.m.

@SnakeX

(<_<)(>_>)...what what?

Beshoul said on March 12, 2012 at 9:55 a.m.

Do you guys play other games besides fighting games? Because if you did you would know that it's part of the video game industry now.
I'm not saying it's ok...but this isn't "Capcom exclusive".

SnakeX said on March 12, 2012 at 9:55 a.m.

You'd be surprised by the vast amount of developers that abuse DLC. There are far more that do than there are that don't.

EA, Activision, THQ, BioWare, Namco, Square-Enix, Ubisoft, the list goes on and on. It's becoming the industry standard, and it's because they know it works. DLC sales are a big factor in a video game company's revenue these days.

In regards to DLC characters:
Yeah, "if you play competitively" is the key phrase. The amount of people that buy DLC characters and actually sit and analyze them in order to figure them it out on their own is very slim. Therefore, they are not integral. You can still fight against them without having to pay and use them yourself.

maxs2d2ace said on March 12, 2012 at 9:55 a.m.

i hate seven soo dang much man.

SnakeX said on March 12, 2012 at 9:56 a.m.

Sorry, I just didn't understand your rant about stamina differences. Like, at all.

BestAlgorithm said on March 12, 2012 at 9:56 a.m.

DLC that is actually new content and not stuff already finished and on the disk is great and exciting. I want more of that. Stuff that they charge us twice for... that I do not want.

SnakeX said on March 12, 2012 at 9:57 a.m.

Reread what I wrote.

HASJ said on March 12, 2012 at 9:59 a.m.

I want UMvC3ex to be truth and I want (a normal) Bryan in SFxT.

I don't even touch SFIV anymore, only Vanilla Super; AE and 2012 ruined the game for me.

@22, Makoto is better than Abel; Sakura (does not have, even though the similarities of their moves, the same gameplan as Ryu) was better than Ryu in AE; Rufus is just a tid better than Ibuki; Sagat can play in both offense and defense, I never saw a rushdown Rose, pretty sure Sagat is better than her.

Health points do not determine who will win a match, it is just a balancing tool.

ThinkJurgen said on March 12, 2012 at 10:02 a.m.

Sagat is a zoner and so is Rose. Sagat has more options to deal with rush downs...Rose does not. Sagat has more damaging combos and an overhead attack.

Sagat has above average health, while Rose is below.

Thats all I really want explain

Rettaka said on March 12, 2012 at 10:06 a.m.

"I never saw a rushdown Rose"

You have never seen Sako's Rose?!

Tensa said on March 12, 2012 at 10:06 a.m.

sf4ae2012 is good it doesnt need a rebalance or update or anything its fine rather have them make a new darkstalkers of sf5

BestAlgorithm said on March 12, 2012 at 10:10 a.m.

@Jurgen

Rose is also much faster than Sagat. She can fight more effectively on the inside

CapnDaccat said on March 12, 2012 at 10:16 a.m.

We don´t need SF5 just yet.

I would support more balancing patches and DLC characters.

Now Capcom, what you made with SFxTK is milking. I would rather pay 75$ and have the full freaking game at launch then have to wait this fake DLC theater rolls out.

I understand that you guys probably made this to release the characters as time goes buy, to keep the public interested in the game, but just don't. Instead, you guys are only hurting your own image.

SnakeX said on March 12, 2012 at 10:19 a.m.

No no, they did it like this because of the Vita version. That is why we gotta wait until the fall to get at these extras. :/

TCal said on March 12, 2012 at 10:22 a.m.

Download > Unlock
Cough, SFxTk, Cough....

ThinkJurgen said on March 12, 2012 at 10:28 a.m.

@ BestAlgorithm

Point taken.

AdaWongLover5 said on March 12, 2012 at 10:29 a.m.

DO IT RIGHT! IF YOU DO DLC DO IT RIGHT! IN FACT DOESN'T IBUKI SAY "If you do something, do it right!"! Take examples of successful DLC companies and do what they do. Like Rockstar! They do DLC right! Don't steal their marketing plans but see what works and do it! If not that then just make it free or really cheap.

gigantor21 said on March 12, 2012 at 10:29 a.m.

I don't have a problem with DLC updates which I want more of, if anything, to avoid having to get disc based updates instead. Nor do I care that the characters are on the disc already, or that keyboard warriors think that makes me a corporate whore or whatever.

My main problem is that I can't even pay to get access all the extra content until fall because of some arbitrary deal they cut with Sony. What, may I ask, does that add for consumers? If console owners still have to pay regardless, why make them wait on top of it?

Also don't buy into custom colors as paid DLC. That's just putting an arbitrary paywall around basic features that other fighters do for free, or let you pay for if you don't want to unlock it normally. Not "giving people more of what they love". Not all DLC is equal.

I won't speak up for the schizophrenic whining in the community, but it's not like Capcom is scott free. They could've handled the (entirely predictable) fallout from this better IMO.

Rafabio said on March 12, 2012 at 10:30 a.m.

Exactly the way I feel. Well said.

gigantor21 said on March 12, 2012 at 10:31 a.m.

#57 - Ugh, I hit "post" by mistake. DAT GRAMMAR -_-

icejohn said on March 12, 2012 at 10:33 a.m.

funny i didn't hear anyone accuse capcom of milking when they were begging and spamming ono twitter account to bring arcade addition to our shores.
You know actual DLC.

zferolie said on March 12, 2012 at 10:34 a.m.

Seems like he dodged the question about female health in fighting games. Kinda

We know it takes more then health to balance a game. It just seems most females are lower health. Nothing too wrong with that really, just found it amusing that in this game, almost all the females are in the same health bar.

GokaiGreen said on March 12, 2012 at 10:34 a.m.

d55pedal said on March 12, 2012 at 10:40 a.m.

look ima lay it down right here for the hole community
one agree on one thing it helps alot more

two developers its okay to have dlc just make sure its not finished already on disc and make us wait till fall and sell it free for vita unless you do it for everyone

three if you do something like AE make sure none of the characters (or at least not the whole thing is stored on disk) shoot you can even do half and half also add more characters not just 2 shotos and 2 hacks please there's already too much

four there's nothing wrong with dlc I think nobody minds paying for it as long as its marketed correctly can we agree on that cause we obviously need to agree on one thing to send a clear message also nothing was wrong with sf4 and ssf4 cause you wasn't buying the same game super greatly improved and changed the game seeing that there was alot of new characters and wasn't released until wayyyyy after sf4
so there's no reason to COMPLAIN about that and if that's the excuse for crappy mvc3 fine then you better make sure you dunk the next one completely okay no disk locked content and that's what im sticking to as should all of you

Four

airspice said on March 12, 2012 at 10:48 a.m.

This man talks a lot but says nothing! He hasn't even understood the complaints! (Or he just doesn't want to understand them)

d55pedal said on March 12, 2012 at 10:52 a.m.

Also developers need help? go with the most reasonable points made here if everyone is complaining about one thing it should probally be fixed so focus on that first the go to the second thing and see if people are being inconsiderate or making valid points

ANYWAYS THIS WOULD SOLVE YOUR PROBLEMS HAVE EVERYONE VOTE WHO PLAYS THE GAME NOT JUST THE FORUMS CAUSE SOME OF THEM ARE JUST PUNKS WHO BARELY PLAY THE GAME AND GET THERE BUTTS WHOOPED CAUSE THEY SUCK OR ARE JUST PLAIN STUPID

HAVE PEOPLE VOTE ON THE GAME THEY BOUGHT AS SOON AS THEY HIT THE SCREEN WHO"S WITH ME THAT WAY THEY CAN GET A CLEAR DECISION!!!!

d55pedal said on March 12, 2012 at 10:56 a.m.

Also they did pretty good with the heatlh based on the style of some characters which all female characters health was good nothing wrong with it if it ain't broke don't fix it but for some people they fail understand the style of characters and based of that stats are given to balance these characters out which I think they do good with not including mvc games

to solve their problems they need to make a vote system update on their games PERIOD to solve their problem

d55pedal said on March 12, 2012 at 10:57 a.m.

JUST TO MAKE SURE IM CLEAR PUT THE VOTING SYSTEM ON THE GAME NOT THE FORUMS CAUSE ITS NOT ALWAYs accurate

Ett said on March 12, 2012 at 11:15 a.m.

Don't ship a broken game. With the DLC on the disk....

hozukimaru said on March 12, 2012 at 11:24 a.m.

Listen up people;there is nothing wrong with DLC being on a "Disc" already.The industry today is build around cutting the used game business out,and they do this with DLC or DLC on a disc;if they do this,others such as gamestop wont get paid from the repurchasing of a used disc.I understand people complaints with this,but if they didnt do this we'd be paying like $39.99 for something we could be buying for only $12-20.I will admit capcom was greedy when making this deal with sony to withhold these 12 characters till the vita version is released,but who are we to say that the vita users will get this for free?for all we know they'll be paying for the same content.

Unknown_Unknown said on March 12, 2012 at 11:26 a.m.

@6 Tsevin if the SFXT dlc costs as much as the AE download, your argument will be invalid.

RandomJohn said on March 12, 2012 at 11:26 a.m.

The audience / people who sees Capcom as "milking" or "gouging" are the cheapazses who are looking for handouts. Capcom is and always has been a for-profit company. They were NEVER a charity. Stop thinking they are and are obligated to give free new editions to each game. If people thinks Capcom is gouging its consumers, then stop buying their products. At the same, accept the fact you're going to miss out on games you probably enjoy but refuse to buy, oh let say, because you're a cheapasz.

HooliganComboFTW said on March 12, 2012 at 11:37 a.m.

ooh yet another comment thread arguing about sf x tekken dlc controversy kakaka

bullitt23 said on March 12, 2012 at 11:56 a.m.

Im down for DLC.....when its fairly priced.

Take the SFxT DLC, knowing capcom, this will cost about the same as a re-edition whilst being cheaper for them..and this is just for the characters.

If capcom does not start pricing their stuff right then no-one will be interested in their games or extra stuff. History will repeat, they will end up being the reason for their own fall. Do you remember how capcom in the early to mid 90's flooded the market with overpriced re-editions and spin-offs, and how no-one supported it? Yeah....same will repeat if they're not careful.

mo123 said on March 12, 2012 at 12:04 p.m.

Discs are really cheap, copying data is really cheap. When you buy a game you are paying mostly for the creation of the game not the disc itself. It does not matter if DLC is already on the disc. You bought the game knowing there would be around 40 characters. If you decide to buy more later, why does it matter where the data is? The result is the same: You spend a certain amount of money, then you have access to 12 more characters. If DLC is on the disc already you don't waste hard drive space and you don't have to wait for it to download.

If you dont't think a game has enough content before dlc, whether it is on the disk or not, don't buy it.

NINJA said on March 12, 2012 at 12:05 p.m.

Publishers basically made a way of charging 150$ for 60$ games... It is that shocking.

mo123 said on March 12, 2012 at 12:08 p.m.

On the other hand, I think a lot of the dlc, like costume packs and probably gem packs is gouging, not because of were it's stored but because the value.

Omni0 said on March 12, 2012 at 12:09 p.m.

Can we at least get one thing straight and say the sfxt stuff is not technically DLC?

Paine said on March 12, 2012 at 12:12 p.m.

I don't think Svenson understands the difference between true DLC and DLC aka Disk locked content.

SAMURAI said on March 12, 2012 at 12:15 p.m.

I hope there's gonna be a new SF4 version. I LOVE that game.
New characters and stages would be awesome. And I'm still waiting on the yellow Bruce Lee jumpsuit for Fei Long.

But leave the balance like it is Capcom, the game is balanced pretty good like it is now.

irrenmann said on March 12, 2012 at 12:15 p.m.

@Majin_Acolyte: "No one has a problem with true DLC, as in DOWNLOADABLE CONTENT. Keyword DOWNLOAD, Its great when developers release actual post launch content which attributes to the longevity of a title. But what we don't want, is companies siphoning out parts of the game and labeling it as DLC. That is just milking the fans who love to play your games. When we pay full-price for a game we should receive the full game. Not 85% of a game until we unlock the rest with out wallets."

No. They know, and they decide, when the initial budget has covered a gold disc release and when separate content will need post-release sales to cover it. To even get approved to make that content, their bosses had to approve a budget that suggested how much it would cost up front and when it would likely become available for sale. You don't automatically own all work they've ever done for any part of a title just because you pay a set amount, and you never had any good reason to think you did.

mo123 said on March 12, 2012 at 12:23 p.m.

Some day in the near future you may not download any content. Games will probably be streamed from the cloud and people will have to get used to valuing how much content they are getting access to for their money. The disc is just a delivery system, it is not really what you are paying for.

Azuregum said on March 12, 2012 at 12:49 p.m.

D55pedal's profile
This user joined EventHubs on March 5, 2012

Looks like we have ourselves a Capcom employee.

Viral Marketing is dishonest and disgusting.

KissofPoison said on March 12, 2012 at 12:50 p.m.

Anyone who says we are just wanting stuff for free obviously doesn't see the true issue at heart. It's not about paying, it's about what we are paying for.

bazooka1hitko said on March 12, 2012 at 12:51 p.m.

what why is capcom trying to devide the gamers?
lol its svenson the amateur he needs to be fired imo.
this guy acts so childish its embarrasing.

asilaydting77 said on March 12, 2012 at 12:56 p.m.

people needa stop crying and if they did offer another
version nobody put a gun to ur head n say buy it they said
if u like we added new characters n features. its ur choice capcom
of course wants to make money but they also have bills to pay theirs a process that occurs when characters n featurea are added. i played ssf4 6 months before i actually upgraded its ur decision . nobody makes u buy.

its like ur cell yeah u bought the phone but if
u want unlimited tx talk nigga u gotta pay no matter if u bought it
or not ssf4 is a game AE is a feature understnd great stop bitching

asilaydting77 said on March 12, 2012 at 12:59 p.m.

people needa stop crying and if they did offer another
version nobody put a gun to ur head n say buy it they said
if u like we added new characters n features. its ur choice capcom

its like ur cell phone yeah u bought the phone but if
u want unlimited tx talk u gotta pay no matter if u bought it
or not ssf4 is a game AE is a feature understnd great stop bitching

asilaydting77 said on March 12, 2012 at 1:04 p.m.

bazooka what r u paying for

pickboy97 said on March 12, 2012 at 1:04 p.m.

This is just my opinion on what Id like to see. New stages and costumes are cool as long as its not like 3-4 costumes per pack at 600 MS points or so. Since this game has been out a while I would like to see something to keep it fresh such as cosmetic upgrades at a descent price ! That way people who are done with the game dont have to bother but those who play it on a regular basis can still look forward to new things to enhance the game .

New characters would also be cool but I dont see it happening as there would need to be balance changes .. but if they could figure out how to leave the cast as is and just implement a couple or more new characters without destroying the game Im all for it. Remember the twins were intentionally made strong when they were released. Why is beyond me. They intentionally unbalanced the game for only God knows why lol.. ( at least I thought I read somewhere where Ono said something like that )

asilaydting77 said on March 12, 2012 at 1:10 p.m.

u know what would b ever better "skins" like guile be charlie jus the looks same move n everything but diff skins. stages would b good doe . and add more alpha characters god damn

kakashiisagod said on March 12, 2012 at 1:13 p.m.

Capcom's damage control continues to amaze me. The best thing they could do is take it on the chin with this issue. Shut-up and relieze people hate this thing. It's more of a principle issue. When I buy a DLC package on steam I always have to download those files separately. For example the DLC for Deus EX is around 1.5 Gigs. I have absolutely no problem supporting a good game post release. But I do have a problem downloading a 100kb file that allows me to use something I already own. Imagine in Microsoft sent you the entire office disc and you had to pay to use powerpoint and excel even though they were already installed. Capcom, needs to fix their image asap, this " we are right your just not business savvy enough to understand, you dumb consumer" is not gonna fly forever, especially with more fighters on the horizon that let you use everything on the Disc (Tekken and DOA) for example. Svenson should just stop this he is not good at damage control, at all. The guy chews out fans left and right. People wanted Megaman, he said f-U you want who we tell you to want so shut up and accept it. I say fine bro, I guess you don't need my money then. Vote with your dollar folks, and tell them why you wont pay its the only way to ensure this wont happen again. 8.95 ring any bells Kappa?

asilaydting77 said on March 12, 2012 at 1:13 p.m.

sf4 is a good game though. i have one wish. and that is that Deejays
ex machine gun upper connected fully with sobat featival like balrogs head to violent buffalo

asilaydting77 said on March 12, 2012 at 1:17 p.m.

and he dont need it a million buyers to one non buyer he gone drive
his benz either way son

KissofPoison said on March 12, 2012 at 1:37 p.m.

asilaydting, if you buy a phone they don't make you pay extra to change the background or screensaver. they don't have things locked away that you pay to unlock. you own everything.

people paid for the disc, they are entitled to everything on the said disc. it would be like buying a cd then saying you can listen to only 1 song off that cd. then turn around and pay another .99 to unlock each extra song.

worst part is they Capcom won't let you just have that one song. they make you pay in packs, so you have to pay 15 dollars for 4 characters when you really only want 1, or just want this color they make you take/pay for all for just 1. They are completely out of touch with their consumer base.

kakashiisagod said on March 12, 2012 at 1:42 p.m.

@asilaydting77
He should care, and so should Capcom. Its not this scene (The FGC) that will abandon Capcom my friend, I love SFXTK it is a a lot of fun to play I think. Its the average consumer that will.Average consumers have already given this game and the company a pass, for lying to their faces. I hope he enjoys his benz, I could care less what he drives. My point is that the company looks bad, because people like him cant control damage correctly. Ono looks bad, even though, I feel he genuinely loves his fans, Ive met him in person that guy is awesome, and really believes in his products. Non-buyers and buyers are important, son, A complaint is a gift to a Business. Never burn the customer, a golden rule of customer service. Complaints are great for benchmarking what works and what doesn't. BTW he wont be able to afford his Benz much longer if Capcom lays him off. Unemployment doesn't pay for premium gas, son.

musacci said on March 12, 2012 at 1:48 p.m.

to the people complaining about the dlc on disc:

I really don't see the difference between having to buy 12 characters that are on your disc or having to buy 12 characters that are on capcom's hard disk.
I believe that when capcom made sf4 had already in mind to make super and ae and had already decided which were the characters to implement in the game.
They could have placed the characters directly on the disc of sf4 and make a small unlock update with maybe some slight balance change but what would have changed for the buyer?

AoiHana said on March 12, 2012 at 1:58 p.m.

Sf4 is not that special compared to other games needing another rebalanced version,people will eventuly get tired and want something new. Also I learned my mistake from mvc3,never get a capcom fighter day one,i can wait intill fall for sfxt,there are too many FGs coming out that I plan on playing anyway,people got bills you know lol.

KissofPoison said on March 12, 2012 at 2:26 p.m.

@musacci

the difference is that like i've said before. If they spent less time working on stuff we aren't getting when we pay. They could have spent more time on the glaring issues of the game that we ACTUALLY get for paying this money.

HyperViperNZ said on March 12, 2012 at 2:48 p.m.

Didnt even give a traight answer about the male/female health issue. To me, females always get less because they seem more agile and harder to hit than males. Maybe thats part of a reason why??

ShadowoftheDarkgod said on March 12, 2012 at 2:50 p.m.
mrdrofficer said on March 12, 2012 at 3:15 p.m.

Please make a new update to SFIV.

DLC, new disc, whatever. I'll buy it and so will everyone complaining because they're doing so on a website only hardcore fighting game fans read. You really think they're morals are going to get in the way of them paying for more characters. Hell, two new characters and a stage would get 90 percent of this post re-buying the damn thing for full price I guarantee it.

We love the game. And if people will buy Madden and ME3, you know us hardcore players will buy a sequel to our favorite game.

Thanks for continuing to support us.

Load more comments