Rumor: Darkstalkers 4 in the works, will use Street Fighter X Tekken's engine

Posted by Jonathan 'Catalyst' Grey • March 3, 2012 at 3:20 p.m. PST
Rumor: Darkstalkers 4 in the works, will use Street Fighter X Tekken's engine Citing an unnamed source, so take this with a grain of salt, but GamesBeat is reporting that Darkstalkers 4 is in the works with Capcom producer Yoshinori Ono at the helm.

Apparently, their source for this information shared details about Resident Evil 6 before it was announced — which ended up holding water. This same source shared details about Darkstalkers 4, including:

• The game will use a modified version of the Street Fighter X Tekken engine.

• The title has been in the works since last year.

• Principal development of SFxT was complete towards the end of 2011, which is when Ono is said to have shifted his focus to Darkstalkers 4.

A few weeks back, Capcom also renewed their Darkstalkers trademark, although the last time the company took this action in 2004, it was to prepare Darkstalkers Chronicle on the PSP.

This is still an unconfirmed rumor at this point, so you might want to temper your excitement, but this is potentially good news for Darkstalkers fans.

Comments

boulderabuser said on March 3, 2012 at 2:38 p.m.

Hope this turns out to be true.

zufir said on March 3, 2012 at 2:39 p.m.

WE IN THEREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

KingofSarus said on March 3, 2012 at 2:39 p.m.

Don't know whether to be hyped or afraid as hell. (At least Niitsuma didn't get his hands on it)

Ketchup17 said on March 3, 2012 at 2:40 p.m.

wow... let this happen please

Blitzkrieg_exe said on March 3, 2012 at 2:40 p.m.

I'll pass on this one. VS has never been relevant to my interests. Best of luck to the dev team and I hope all of the fans get what they desire.

NyuBomber said on March 3, 2012 at 2:42 p.m.

I can see them modding SFxT's engine for Darkstalkers, I just hope they capture the graphical cartoony stretch qualities that made Darkstalkers really pop.

@5 You are way too composed, you need more ALL CAPS and !!!!'s and mispellins.

Nader886 said on March 3, 2012 at 2:45 p.m.

we can only hope this holds up!

f1ip said on March 3, 2012 at 2:47 p.m.

they better make the game look good, jedah pumpin blood into ppl in HD

vbshinra said on March 3, 2012 at 2:47 p.m.

Hopefully after they done this they'll make a new rival schools

DunnDeal said on March 3, 2012 at 2:49 p.m.

Demetri better be in it this time. No excuses this time Capcom. I remember what they said about him being in MvC3.

"We just can't put Demetri in the game because he has too many frames and takes up too much space. Same with Human Torch"

If that was the case, how did Dark Phoenix make it in?

Atrkl said on March 3, 2012 at 2:49 p.m.

BB Hood is comin back :D

zufir said on March 3, 2012 at 2:50 p.m.

LIK DIS
AH EM GEE DARKSTALKURRRR LES GOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111111ELEVEN!!!1112243454!!

BurningVigor said on March 3, 2012 at 2:52 p.m.

I think capcom will be closely looking at the sales for street fighter x tekken before making any announcement for this game.

OSM said on March 3, 2012 at 2:53 p.m.

Bring it on Capcom.

I've been feverishly anticipating this happening for awhile, I hope they can do the franchise justice and beyond. It will be very interesting to see how they tackle all of the character animations, the general pace of the game, and any new mechanics that will inevitably be introduced into the works.

I look forward to playing as Demitri, Lord Raptor, Donovan, Hsien-Ko (DONE RIGHT THIS TIME), and Q-Bee in 3D, or whatever they're going for.

flungdungfar said on March 3, 2012 at 2:56 p.m.

Cool,

Time to saturate the market while u can i guess.

Frost said on March 3, 2012 at 2:56 p.m.

Darkstalkers 4 = YESSSSSSSSSSSS

Using SFxT engine = NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

maxs2d2ace said on March 3, 2012 at 2:57 p.m.

holy crap!!! is it christmas? please PLEASE DONT FU@K with us wait.......................................................... i'm scared for DLC =(

RyuForever said on March 3, 2012 at 2:58 p.m.

You don't know how happy this article made me right now...

hentailogic1 said on March 3, 2012 at 2:58 p.m.

SF X Tekken engine, meaning the new Darkstalkers might get released on PC too.

katalystx said on March 3, 2012 at 2:59 p.m.

SFxT engine.... I really hope the characters don't have big ass feet and hands

Eodbot said on March 3, 2012 at 3 p.m.

spotlesseden said on March 3, 2012 at 3:01 p.m.

why Street Fighter X Tekken's engine?

CHMOD said on March 3, 2012 at 3:01 p.m.

The SFxTekken engine is awesome

Rafabio said on March 3, 2012 at 3:06 p.m.

Great news. Nostalgic game for me. Demetri! :)

Frost said on March 3, 2012 at 3:06 p.m.

I have no complains about the engine in general. I just believe that it won't fix Darkstalkers.

I really hoped Capcom would stick to doing 2D sprites. It would fit the game 100% more than what SFxT's engine can do.

Ravellino said on March 3, 2012 at 3:07 p.m.

XD

werewolfgold said on March 3, 2012 at 3:10 p.m.

Hmmm...

Hopefully the characters won't be as goofy looking as the SF4 characters...

MasterBP said on March 3, 2012 at 3:12 p.m.

my thoughts exactly

still excited by this news though

gtfopanda said on March 3, 2012 at 3:13 p.m.

I just hope it won't be as ugly as Super Steroid Fighter 4.

irrenmann said on March 3, 2012 at 3:16 p.m.

@MasterBP: "I personally really dislike the look of the sf4/xt engine. everyone looks like giant masses of muscle as opposed to actual people, and the XT engine has that awful unreal engine "everyone just got hugged by hakan" effect"

Those are art direction complaints. These factors are not determined by the game engine.

In other words, it could look very different.

dezeray112 said on March 3, 2012 at 3:17 p.m.

I hope this is true.

Firebrand said on March 3, 2012 at 3:17 p.m.

(Gi gi gee!)

I know this sounds silly, but I'd be perfect for this game.

hentailogic1 said on March 3, 2012 at 3:18 p.m.

I hope Darkstalkers will be released for PC as the same time as console or within 2 weeks, cuz it sucks that SFxTekken PC is only released 2 months after consoles. SFxTekken is the last delayed release I'll accept.

Cammystrike said on March 3, 2012 at 3:18 p.m.

Here comes the part where the ggpo Vampire Savior players, all 20 of them crawl out of the woodwork and talk about everyone being fake fans of the series.

Anyway I hope this turns out to be true. Seeing the Darkstalkers all with 3D models will be pretty sweet. And yes I'm so happy Ono will be handling this and not Nitusma.

GodPride said on March 3, 2012 at 3:19 p.m.

Why not use the MvC3 engine instead? They already have 3 Darkstalker models ready to go.

Gameplan said on March 3, 2012 at 3:20 p.m.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!

My only complain is the fact that it's gonna use the SFxT engine, which probably means is not gonna be a next gen game. On the bright side, that also means we wont have to wait as long for it. :D

I just hope they use a good art style for the characters, because that's one of the key features of the franchise. The SF4 art style wouldn't fit in a Darkstalkers game at all.

Boba said on March 3, 2012 at 3:20 p.m.

if this is true..plz add ruby heart. Also hoping to hear some more of this at that capcom captivate event.

yamas11 said on March 3, 2012 at 3:29 p.m.

Morrigan in the thumbnail has a nip slip.

baiken said on March 3, 2012 at 3:29 p.m.

The only studio capable of making a game deserving the title of Vampire Savior is Reverge Labs. Capcom will make another SFIV clone in horrible 3d.

Celticlord said on March 3, 2012 at 3:33 p.m.

The mvc3 team did a much better job with the character models than the sf4 and sfxtk team. Either way I am excited by this 'news'

Getdownbrown83 said on March 3, 2012 at 3:34 p.m.

Sweet been waiting a long time for this... Capcom can saturate the crap out of the genre for all I care heck there are 50 billion FPS games and as a fan the more the merrier and the only time I ever regretted buying a fighting game was when I bought Capcom fighting evolution god that game was uuuhhhhh.

EG2 said on March 3, 2012 at 3:35 p.m.

@21& 25. The same engine does not mean it's the same artstyle.

InitialR said on March 3, 2012 at 3:43 p.m.

Neoxon said on March 3, 2012 at 3:49 p.m.

Personally I would like them to use a modified version of (U)MvC3's engine. Characters overall look better on the engine & there's already 3 Darkstalkers made on the engine.

NobleEskimo said on March 3, 2012 at 3:53 p.m.

dem titties

BLAFY said on March 3, 2012 at 3:54 p.m.

Whats so different from Sf and SF x Tk engine?

Shet I dont care, hopefully the game is worth buying and they add a couple of characters to the game. MAYBE EVEN SOME SCRAP CHARACTERS THEY WERE GOING TO USE IN SF4 AND JUST PUT THEM IN THIS GAME!!!

SEPTEMBER AND FORWARD MAY JUST BE CAPCOM WORKING ON DARKSTALKERS, EVENTHUBS GETS NO SLEEP!!!

maybe this is the end (for a while) of street fighter and marvel vs.
SF2 hd remix
sf4
ssf4
ssf4ae
mvc3
umvc3
sf3 strike
mvc2
sf x tk

Maybe, the summer/fall is all about TK vs SF and Darkstalkers as the only new info from new games

EG2 said on March 3, 2012 at 3:57 p.m.

@47. From interviews, they red-did the netcode from the groud-up for one. Perhaps they optimized it more since they have four characters per match now.

Kamehamehadouken said on March 3, 2012 at 3:59 p.m.

Booooooo! I don't believe it. Lies! All Lies!

maxs2d2ace said on March 3, 2012 at 4:06 p.m.

the thing im worried about is that ono doesnt really strike me as the person that would create something dark. i want dark stalkers to have a creepy yet cool dark vibe. ono is known to make stuff that doesnt make sense into a game. i mean morriagin is known to sleep with men before she takes their lives. i want that dark setting that is darkstalkers

drez1210 said on March 3, 2012 at 4:07 p.m.

Hope this is true, dying for a new Dark Stalkers ever since SF came back in 08. Imagine how sick this game can look with the SF X Tekken engine. Maybe in April we find out more.

hentailogic1 said on March 3, 2012 at 4:11 p.m.

I'd like a darker fighting game too, but MvC3 who wasn't made by ono gave morrigan a cute look, so i think darkstalkers would look more goofy than dark.

Ice9 said on March 3, 2012 at 4:14 p.m.

Remember what happened to Megaman Legends 3?

That could happen to Darkstalkers at any given time, so if you want to see A new DS become a reality, I SUGGEST people hound the hell out of Capcom on a daily basis.

illness690 said on March 3, 2012 at 4:18 p.m.

Tizlor said on March 3, 2012 at 4:25 p.m.

They'll release it with half or a quarter of the character roster missing and then sell it back to you like what they're doing with SFxT.

Capcom is a disgusting company.

obscura9 said on March 3, 2012 at 4:31 p.m.

MALDA said on March 3, 2012 at 4:47 p.m.

illness690 said on March 3, 2012 at 4:49 p.m.

kara said on March 3, 2012 at 4:53 p.m.

Sektah84 said on March 3, 2012 at 5:05 p.m.

J.talbain,lord raptor,Morgan and demitri! My fav characters in that game. Hope this ends up true

Kenshiro said on March 3, 2012 at 5:11 p.m.

Yea!!!!!!!!!!!

Morrigan, Talbain and Dimitri is all I need. Don't care who else makes the roster.

RunningWild said on March 3, 2012 at 5:24 p.m.

EDGEucator said on March 3, 2012 at 5:29 p.m.

It will be interesting to see how Capcom f**ks this one up.
Good game before start Capcom.

Vyrisx said on March 3, 2012 at 5:30 p.m.

Have you played Darkstalkers? It's never been a dark and creepy game. It's always been goofy and over the top, just look at the character roster for examples. Ono is the perfect fit for a game like this because he is goofy and over the top. If you don't like that style then you've never liked Darkstalkers to begin with.

Vyrisx said on March 3, 2012 at 5:31 p.m.

If one more kid confuses the ART STYLE for the GAME ENGINE I'm going to shoot myself in the head.

RedWaltz79 said on March 3, 2012 at 5:32 p.m.

I'd rather have a new Rival Schools, Street Fighter EX, or *gasp* a new IP.

MadMetalSlayer said on March 3, 2012 at 5:36 p.m.

SFxT engine is cool and all, but come on, why use the same one for a completely different game? show some variety Capcom. smh. do something like how SNK is doing with the new KoF games. hand drawn 2d models over bulky buff 3d models.

MadMetalSlayer said on March 3, 2012 at 5:36 p.m.

^i prefer 2d over 3d models i mean

Hazzird said on March 3, 2012 at 5:55 p.m.

also rumored: Easy inputs, X-Factor, Gems, Pandora and more of your favorite comeback scrub mechanics! new characters that blow and replaces fan favorites, dlc already on the disc that will be hacked first day, and of course NO MEGAMAN

apotropaic_puppet said on March 3, 2012 at 6:17 p.m.

I hope it's true!
I just hope to God that they don't use the same ugly ass model style from SF4. I personally preferred MvC3 models over SF4 models.
They were too beefy and their mouths were HUGE.
Chun-li looked way too manly, IMO.
Still excited for this to be true! :D

kara said on March 3, 2012 at 6:21 p.m.

Kid_Kuma said on March 3, 2012 at 6:29 p.m.

Capcom please keep this a true Darkstalkers game. I was excited for Hsien-Ko in MvC3....but she can't cancel pendulum? This is a true Darkstalkers now please let it be Bat (pun intended) Sh*t Crazy! And for God/Devil's sake let Hsien-Ko cancel the pendulum again!

OSM said on March 3, 2012 at 6:48 p.m.

I hope they don't release this until next gen. Releasing it now with all of these fighters, especially SFxT, would instantly kill the game.

GomuJonny said on March 3, 2012 at 6:56 p.m.

By modified, I hope that means 'Not Teams'.

DoubleShoryukenATK said on March 3, 2012 at 7:15 p.m.

Guys its Ono, hes trolled Megaman, and locked the 12 Vita characters, on the discs of the console version.

Watch he is trying to take back his back the Troll of the Year Award from Nitsuma.

If it is real i just might wait for VAMPIRE DarkStalkers 4, or MEGA Darkstalkers 4: Vampire Edition! Trolololol

I can see it now! ^^

MALDA said on March 3, 2012 at 7:19 p.m.

Smorgasboard said on March 3, 2012 at 7:30 p.m.

Ono is not the art director so the actual art style is not his call.

After announcing SFxT too early last year, I don't expect any announcement for Darkstalkers until the end of the year.

InitialR said on March 3, 2012 at 7:32 p.m.

HyperSentinel said on March 3, 2012 at 7:46 p.m.

I've already predicted who the guess characters will be (assuming that they do that) Firebrand, Nemesis and possibly Asura though he would be OP!!!!!!

SyckEndings said on March 3, 2012 at 7:49 p.m.

Hope they don't release this anytime within the next 2Years, we already have enough fighting games out.. Let them die out first so it'll be reason to be excited for another fighter, as of now I don't care if this is true or not.

uguumachine said on March 3, 2012 at 8 p.m.

oh god I hope it's true! I hope the art style is similiar to SF4 and not as boring and generic as mahvels.

zarakisan said on March 3, 2012 at 8:18 p.m.

a "modified version" of sfxt engine doesnt mean its gonna look like sfxt. It cud look completely diff. I have faithin capcom to do wats right

genesiskhan said on March 3, 2012 at 8:21 p.m.

yeah would be amazing to see this revived but i dont want a team based game so of course thats gotta go and use the ssf4 engine if ur gunna not make a new one for the game atleast itcould stand true to the series and bring back the old character flash and plz dont make it cutesie and plz if andything make it like mvc if ur gunna ruin it and use the sfxt engine

neogeo_city said on March 3, 2012 at 8:26 p.m.

is this a party game too? dont recycle the engine

HooliganComboFTW said on March 3, 2012 at 8:29 p.m.

YES!!!!!! rather have them do this then a SF5. LOL art style and engine not the same thing so cool your heads people. In any case this is good news and i don't care if this might be rehash of SF. in this day and age with a crapload of similar shooters I'm glad this might be in the works

MALDA said on March 3, 2012 at 8:57 p.m.

InitialR said on March 3, 2012 at 9:02 p.m.

Big_Mac said on March 3, 2012 at 9:07 p.m.

RIP 2D sprites ;_;

ShiroiKaze said on March 3, 2012 at 9:26 p.m.

considering that it seems all the DLC content for SFxT has been completed already, it makes sense for the team to be working on a new title.

Tensa said on March 3, 2012 at 9:31 p.m.

damn people are crying already geez people you guys should be happy that they are even making it I mean it could end up like legends 3 and we know what how crazy that got just chill and wait till we see gameplay or whenever we get our hands on it,I have sfxt and its the best fighter capcom's made since cvs2 easily

maxs2d2ace said on March 3, 2012 at 9:57 p.m.

Man F@ck you. i know everything about darkstalkers. you dont know CHIT about it. almost every character has a dark past. BB hood is tragic. my boy lord raptor is tragic yet awesome. he was a rockstar that went crazy and commited a great sin. Jon is cursed to stay a werewolf for ever.
and if you dont think this is dark

or this
and you dont think darkstalkers has a dark vibe your a loser. you think just because they got a few crazy moves its goofy. did you even read any of the comic? i bet you didnt because their really really Dark. so shut F@ck up

maxs2d2ace said on March 3, 2012 at 10 p.m.

sorry wrong video in the second post

Aluppoj said on March 3, 2012 at 10:52 p.m.

Lol @ everyone ripping on SF4/SFxT's art style. They look awesome IMO. Much more stylistic than the skinny plastic like models of MvsC3.

Btw. Darkstalkers/Vampire Savior ALWAYS shared the SAME art style as the Alpha series. And they were all muscle bound maniacs too!

Victor, Sasquatch, Dimitri! Even the Mummy looked like he was on Roids!

The SFxT engine would be a PERFECT fit for this "over the top" cartoon monster game!

Another big effing looooool a ppl who want Darkstalkers to suddenly look all "realistic".

Gtfo.

baiken said on March 3, 2012 at 11:28 p.m.

A sprite based game is what is perfect for this franchise, not a 3d engine.

yates1987 said on March 3, 2012 at 11:49 p.m.

Seriously?
I think the characters in sf4 and sfxt are just weird
some of them have eye problem
some of them have really terrible legs
some of them don't have necks

illness690 said on March 4, 2012 at 12:29 a.m.

foolly said on March 4, 2012 at 1 a.m.

#92 maxs2d2ace dude you can make your point without getting nerd rage. seriously it sounds like youre throwing a fit over there

Schtevitios said on March 4, 2012 at 1:13 a.m.

I would imagine the main reason to use the SFxT engine is purely a cost cutting measure, as its pretty obvious that a new Darkstalkers title wouldnt carry the same budget behind it as a new SF title. And that was probably a strong part of the pitch if this rumour is true.

For all the people freaking about the art style, both Mirrors Edge and Gears of War were both made in the same engine, Darkstalkers could look COMPLETELY different to SFxT.

Bynoe said on March 4, 2012 at 1:22 a.m.

A lot of people don't seem to realise that engine does not equal artstyle at all... I agree that the SFIV/SFxT art style is ass ugly (though I've gotten so used to it it doesn't bother me anymore), but just because it's using the same engine doesn't necessarily mean it has to use the same art style... if it does then that sucks cause I really don't feel like it would be a good fit for some of the Dark Stalkers characters (imagine what Lilith would look like...), but gameplay wise it looks like it would be a good fit (provided they speed up gameplay a bit) so I'm not gonna write it off just yet.

JIHADJOE said on March 4, 2012 at 3:23 a.m.

I'll be ready to push buttons with my Sasquatch.

Celticlord said on March 4, 2012 at 5:48 a.m.

@100 Speed up the gameplay a bit ? I think the engine is flexible enough to get that turbo Darkstalkers feel

Load more comments