'Darkstalkers are not dead' T-shirt featured prominently in latest Street Fighter X Tekken episode #2 clip

Posted by Jonathan 'Catalyst' Grey • June 4, 2012 at 2 p.m. PDT
Featured conspicuously in the latest Street Fighter X Tekken episode #2 clip, a boy is sporting a red T-shirt with the words, "Darkstalkers are not dead," written on it.

If you pay close attention to the trailer — it's pretty hard to miss, as there are multiple shots where the boy's shirt is clearly displayed. Here are a few screen captures.

Click images for larger versions

Yoshinori Ono posted a short note on Twitter that could be read a few different ways, as he was asked about the T-shirt and replied that:

I can't announce about Darkstalkers yet... ;(

A little history here, as Yoshinori said back at the 2011 San Diego Comic-Con that Darkstalkers wasn't dead, and he wanted to do a new entry in the series, along with a new Street Fighter Alpha title.

Earlier this year, a rumor surfaced that Darkstalkers 4 was in the works, with Yoshinori Ono at the helm, but it cited an unnamed source and nothing more on this particular bit has been reported at this time.

Ono has since left the Street Fighter research and development team for awhile, but is of course still supporting the franchise through various means.

So what does this all mean? That's debatable as Capcom isn't completely opposed to the idea or trolling, but on the other end, they're not against the idea of dropping multiple hints about things they're working on, either — as they've done in the past.

What's your opinion of the T-shirt? Leave a comment below with your thoughts.

Comments

NEWkidCJ said on June 4, 2012 at 2:04 p.m.

When Guilty Gear hits the PSN/Live everything is going to die. #JustSaying

Atrkl said on June 4, 2012 at 2:06 p.m.

The return of BB HOOD LET'S GO

Blinky said on June 4, 2012 at 2:07 p.m.

*Just Saiyan

SnakeX said on June 4, 2012 at 2:07 p.m.

Could just be an easter egg and nothing more.
I mean sure, you could speculate that Ono not being at the helm of the SF team might mean he's working with a Darkstalkers team or something, but we don't really have much to go off of at this point.

DeboMagneto said on June 4, 2012 at 2:08 p.m.

Lets go Demitri Maximoff!

ceejay3232 said on June 4, 2012 at 2:09 p.m.

^^^^^^^ yeah what he said!

oXSHANKXo said on June 4, 2012 at 2:11 p.m.

its just a shirt ...
all we can do is wait !

KissofPoison said on June 4, 2012 at 2:15 p.m.

Why don't they work on their current mess before trying to hype up a different.

Lordd_G said on June 4, 2012 at 2:16 p.m.

It's is actually supposed to be a long-sleeve shirt as part of Capcom's line of officially licensed clothing where you have to pay extra to get the rest of the shirt.

"Thank You for Wearing!! Capcom"

HooliganComboFTW said on June 4, 2012 at 2:19 p.m.

P4U is more likely gonna kill the GG hype when it gets release

and oh god that tease =-=

8bitSuperhero said on June 4, 2012 at 2:20 p.m.

If it were simply a darkstalkers shirt I wouldn't have any clue (Easter egg or whatever) but because it specifically says what it says, it's a hint ;)

doublef said on June 4, 2012 at 2:24 p.m.

Capcom, if you're reading this, do NOT let Ono handle Darkstalkers. What he did with SFxT was unforgivable, and you know it.

Give Darkstalkers to the MVC3 team. That's all I ask.

maxs2d2ace said on June 4, 2012 at 2:28 p.m.

*waka waka waka*

Grim said on June 4, 2012 at 2:30 p.m.

@# 12 doublef How would the mvc3 team working on darkstalkers be any better? that would probably be worse if you ask me.

Kalyx_triaD said on June 4, 2012 at 2:31 p.m.

- I'm convinced that the SFxT/SF4 team's been working on Darkstalkers for some time now. If not this E3, next year we will see something.

- GG coming to XBL/PSN will do very little, as it will likely not be supported by all the people crying for GG. It will not be a challenge to anything except other digitally released games, and even then it has a steep hill (MvC2 and HDR did really well).

ya_boy said on June 4, 2012 at 2:33 p.m.

T-shirt is a lie.

Ex_Ein said on June 4, 2012 at 2:37 p.m.

@12 he wasn't director, he had no control over the directors decisions just the money coming in which the executives coose how much and where to use it.

Now with that said I trust ono with a producers role on ds4 and would jack that shirt from that kid.

baiken said on June 4, 2012 at 2:39 p.m.

Capcom boss: "Darkstalkers are not dead!?!? Ono, go fix that!! -"Yes sir!" -goes to make gem comeback mechanic locked on disk...

cadnexus said on June 4, 2012 at 2:41 p.m.

I'm guessing, Darkstalkers 4 is probably going to be revealed sometime this week as a secret reveal at E-3. If this game looks anything like Street Fighter 4 like the models etc, it's an instant NO BUY.

Iammanchild said on June 4, 2012 at 2:48 p.m.

Ex_Ein said on June 4, 2012 at 2:49 p.m.

Baiken, that's the battle directors and main directors decicison

halo said on June 4, 2012 at 2:49 p.m.

same for me cadnexus. I got bored to death of the SF IV/SF X T graphics. I NEED to see something entirely fresh.

HooliganComboFTW said on June 4, 2012 at 2:49 p.m.

Dam the ono hate is strong here lol. there was such high praise for him on SFIV series but sfxt came and those lovers turned into vultures. If Darkstalker 4 were to come out rather have ono do it then the marvel 3 team if Ono is gonna make something similar to the SFIV success and cuts down the gimmicks of Sfxt

Kamehamehadouken said on June 4, 2012 at 2:50 p.m.

Oh wow, "Darkstalkers are not dead" is on a t-shirt! Must mean there's going to be a new game or something. Capcom trolls you guys far too easily.

Azuregum said on June 4, 2012 at 2:53 p.m.

DarkStalkers won't be dead until Ono and Dimps put the nail in its coffin.

MidniteVanguard said on June 4, 2012 at 3:01 p.m.

The Yoshinori Ono hate is so stupid. The guy is the entire reason Street Fighter is alive again in the first place. You're going to blame him for CORPORATE decisions? Get your head out of your butts.
And the idea of Darkstalkers being given to the MvC3 team.. Eugh, absolutely terrible.

apotropaic_puppet said on June 4, 2012 at 3:14 p.m.

I agree! I don't want to see a beefy Morrigan model like ALL the females SF4, or see Demitri with a large mouth like Ryu and Ken have. XD

gtfopanda said on June 4, 2012 at 3:17 p.m.

@ #22

Pretty much everybody has had enough of that steroid garbage by now, they basically used the same sh*t for SFxT.

CE_Dictator said on June 4, 2012 at 3:29 p.m.

Hahahahaha you haters make me laugh, seriously. Yeah, like when a person makes a game that didn't meet your lot's expectations, you guys are like 'oh this guy's crap', 'he needs to leave' 'he ruined the game' etc. Apparently, those people haven't never heard of the word, 'experience'.

bahamutknightzero said on June 4, 2012 at 3:40 p.m.

The hate is rather confusing. Ono gets a ton of hate for rather petty reasons yet Niitsuma keep getting passes despite the intentions he had for Marvel 3 (and how things could've been a bigger mess if he and his team had their way)?

OSM said on June 4, 2012 at 3:44 p.m.

No longer hyped for Darkstalkers after SFxT. I just flat out do not trust or believe in Capcom to do a good job to make a worthy successor to Vampire Savior, let alone an actual Darkstalkers game everyone will enjoy.

I love the franchise and characters to death, but I'd rather not see them touch it now. Capcom has enough of a bad reputation on their heads as it is.

SuperiorTech said on June 4, 2012 at 3:46 p.m.

totally hype about seeing Jon Talbain as a 3d model. but for all who are unsure, when and if darkstalkers 4 is released dont buy day one. others will get it and post all the pros and cons. do your research first people that way you can avoid another SFxT fiasco.

SuperiorTech said on June 4, 2012 at 3:55 p.m.

@30 Marvel and the corporate suits at Capcom crapped on MVC3. and UMVC3 could've been a much bigger and better game but Corporate Commander got his hands on that too. the same thing happened with SFxT. it was the suits not Ono and Niitsuma.

SuperiorTech said on June 4, 2012 at 3:58 p.m.

or lets just blame everything on Ricky Spanish........... Ricky Spanish!!!!!!!!!!

maxs2d2ace said on June 4, 2012 at 4:04 p.m.

i totally agree with bro. darkstalkers is my fav capcom franchises. it was dark and over the top but capcom is lately been releasing games that makes me shake my head. >_> if darkstalkers came back i fear it would be nothing worth getting exciteded about. i imagine ono making it a sf cone with crapy backgrounds,dall story(like always), same graphic as sf, and lame @@@ gimmicks. believe mii, im one of the biggest darkstalkers fans there is. i want darkstalkers to be something that people will remember like sf4 and not something like sf x tk

MALDA_IS_BACK said on June 4, 2012 at 4:39 p.m.

hell yeah now this made my day.

N0_0NE_SPECIAL said on June 4, 2012 at 4:53 p.m.

what does dimitri say when he uppercuts? I hear "RIBOFLAVIN"

xShonuffx said on June 4, 2012 at 4:55 p.m.

@29 Ummm, your missing the whole point.

bahamutknightzero said on June 4, 2012 at 5:02 p.m.

@33 Nice try "Angry Joe".

Kamehamehadouken said on June 4, 2012 at 5:05 p.m.

Lmao he says "demon's craddle".

GigaGilgamesh9 said on June 4, 2012 at 5:08 p.m.

SFIV is awesome. SFXT is not. Hmmm.... I think the ONLY person I trust to make Darkstalkers is the SF team though. If the MvC3 team got there hands on it they would probably leave out Demitri and put in terrible characters nobody wanted. lol

Typhoontimmy said on June 4, 2012 at 5:12 p.m.

Soooo this is likely Capcom trolling.
Most likely this means Darkstalkers is dead and anyone who believes otherwise is a stupid child in dumb hat.

Megaman poster in MVC3 as my proof.
Megaman Legends 3 cancelled as proof.
Megaman X Zero alt costume in MVC3 as proof.
Megaman in SFxT also submitted as proof.
Capcom hates you.

Megaman is dead.
Darkstalkers is also dead.
SFxT is dead, stop playing it.
Capcom hates you.

MALDA_IS_BACK said on June 4, 2012 at 5:12 p.m.

^

So true

MALDA_IS_BACK said on June 4, 2012 at 5:13 p.m.

My comment was for @41 not @42

Typhoontimmy said on June 4, 2012 at 5:14 p.m.

new Edit button feature

htownboss23 said on June 4, 2012 at 5:26 p.m.

remaining characters in mind for this game evil ryu, oni, feilong, c.viper, alex, and deejay for sf side then devil jin,devil, true orge, armor king,feing wai, and bruce irvin sagat need him as a tag team partner and new stages

baiken said on June 4, 2012 at 5:32 p.m.

Come on capcom, give the development to Reverge labs and mike z along with 3 millions for development. You can handle the marketing and distribution. Get the game this franchise deserve.

Typhoontimmy said on June 4, 2012 at 5:46 p.m.

Capcom hates you.

Megaman fans got fat cosplay Megaman, no MML3, and new Darkstalkers is gonna suck.

It's obvious they don't care what fans want.

icejohn said on June 4, 2012 at 6:02 p.m.

lol

uguumachine said on June 4, 2012 at 6:07 p.m.

all that ono hate is stupid.
yeah, they dropped the ball with SFxT, but you must be full on retarded to believe they can't learn from their mistakes.

DORMWORM said on June 4, 2012 at 6:20 p.m.

Actually i would love to see every model look like the Beefed up Sf4..

its unigue to me, plus they always been beefed up why change it now when the graphics are far more advanced...
i cant stand skinny Ryu's...bring on the JUICE!

NFI said on June 4, 2012 at 6:32 p.m.

I want that shirt!

DivinePhoenix69 said on June 4, 2012 at 6:32 p.m.

Finally!its about time another capcom gem got the spotlight lol.too much sf imo,let it rest for awhile after the whole 25th anniversary celebration.im kinda worried though,seeing as how sfxt turned out,capcom are likely to screw this up as well.i really hope they prove me wrong though:/.

Fenrir said on June 4, 2012 at 6:53 p.m.

Eh let the haters hate.Personally if Darkstalkers makes a come back I hope the they put in the four Red Earth characters in the DS series (like with SF and Final Fight). It would nice to see those characters get some love too.

kaka said on June 4, 2012 at 6:56 p.m.

i will only support a new darkstalkers if the original team is involved in the art direction. i don't want the big feet and too cartoony feel like how they did street fighter 4. atmosphere is extremely important to me

f1ip said on June 4, 2012 at 7:35 p.m.

DONT LET ONO TOUCH DARKSTALKERS, LET NITSIJUMA DO IT!!! ONO IS GONNA RUIN EVERYTHING!!!

UncleBibby said on June 4, 2012 at 7:39 p.m.

If the new Darkstalkers is made by Ono and the SF team, than I'll be happy. If it's made by those MVC3 guys, I doubt I'll like it.

I hope the new Darkstalkers has 3D graphics, with skinny characters being REALLY skinny and beefy characters being REALLY beefy. Darkstalkers is all about cartoony exaggeration. Anyone who thinks it's "dark" or "gothic" for Victor to grab people with his butt is brain-damaged.

Rahavic said on June 4, 2012 at 7:57 p.m.

I just want Rival Schools 3 before I die :*(

H3XxMAjiN said on June 4, 2012 at 8:03 p.m.

@51 of course capcom wont learn. they blame others for their mistakes. remember the whole cannibalistic market talk.

GokaiGreen said on June 4, 2012 at 8:15 p.m.

R4HU1 said on June 4, 2012 at 9:46 p.m.

So is this what Ono is working on now that he's not a part of SFxT?

JELIFISH19 said on June 4, 2012 at 10:19 p.m.

The steroid look and big feet came from SF3. It wasn't brand new in SF4. Ono was continuing aesthetically where SF3 left off. You can even see it in the stages.

OrochiRemy said on June 4, 2012 at 11:11 p.m.

I hope it will be better/as good as the previous ones and that Hsien-ko and B.B.Hood will be in it.

portalsofmadnes said on June 4, 2012 at 11:12 p.m.

Let the MvC3 team handle it.they already proved they can do it with morrigan,felicia,and hsien ko.

G0dmqsteR said on June 4, 2012 at 11:47 p.m.

If they ever release it, they must release it with no DLC at all. Everything should be unlocked IN GAME to make up for SFxT especially, MvC3 and SFIV. When will someone ever release a complete game, is it too much to ask?

Dark Souls was the only complete game in recent memory with absolutely NO DLC...

Batsu said on June 5, 2012 at 12:01 a.m.

Capcom's trolling. We all know they're fags in heat, thus unable to create such an awesome game.

Rahavic said on June 5, 2012 at 1:26 a.m.

@66 There's nothing wrong with free DLC expansions on action games and rpgs bro, take it easy there big guy.

G0dmqsteR said on June 5, 2012 at 1:42 a.m.

@68 DLC just gives them an excuse to not sell a complete game, that's the problem.

Killerbee said on June 5, 2012 at 1:59 a.m.

can't wait for Morrigan <3

capcomdointhingsright said on June 5, 2012 at 3:47 a.m.

Kind of off topic.

But in the future I hope Capcom release balance patches as free upgrades.

They can still charge for new characters/costumes/stages/colours or watever, but if the balance updates are free downloads then people won't have to buy a new copy of the game every 9 months.

I think this would do a lot to improve capcoms image with casual gamers because the 'vanilla' version of the disk would never get outdated.

sdgdfgwe said on June 5, 2012 at 4:06 a.m.

Super_Honda said on June 5, 2012 at 5 a.m.

Hmm, I knew about this for a long time because remember when Capcom said that they are not going to make disc updates for SFxT? When you think about it, that's the reason why a lot of DLC is there for SFxT. For example, 12 DLC characters are going to be released in a few months time (unless you got them by hacking the game) and it is likely that the free balance patch will come out very soon after the 12 characters will be available. So people should be fine with that because if you haven't got the DLC characters, you can still face them online.

To be honest, I prefer disc updates because I like to physically own a game, not having a file (DLC), which is intangible. It's good for the main SF series but for Marvel series and other crossover games like SFxT, they shouldn't have any disc updates of those games but release them on DLC. Disc updates are obviously made for the hardcore market and companies like Capcom knows that they are not going to make a lot of money out of it.

Don't get me wrong, DLC is fine but I'm not always a big fan of it though and since DLC is a service, they are intangible. On-disc DLC has caused a lot of controversey but for me, I hate long download times and big memory files as they waste my time and they take a lot of my memory space. Since Capcom made AE 2012 as a free balance patch, I'm pretty sure that they can do the same thing for SFxT. Sorry for a long post.

capcomdointhingsright said on June 5, 2012 at 5:29 a.m.

I know exactly what you mean, its like capcom went overboard with the dlc in SFXT because they genuinely didn't want to do any disk upgrades and they paniked.

The funny thing is look at MVC3, SF4 & SFXT...
SFXT is the one that actually NEEDS a huge revamp on a new disk!

I'm not saying I support on disk dlc, all I'm saying is IF theres a 'Super' SFXT or 'Super' DS4 realease the balance changes for free so people with the vanilla disk can still play online with people who own the super version.

Same way people who bought vanila gears of war can still play online with people who bought the 'game of the year edition'.

drez1210 said on June 5, 2012 at 5:49 a.m.

Hope Ono is working on Darkstakers 4 n please keep it like sf4

gigantor21 said on June 5, 2012 at 7:14 a.m.

Maybe it just means that kid has a really awesome dad? *shrug*

Seriously, though, I'm not nearly as excited about a new Darkstalkers as I was when SFIV came out.

for_me_it_was_tuesday said on June 5, 2012 at 7:27 a.m.

hmmm darkstalkers what to exepect...... only a arcade mode and laggy online

Neoxon said on June 5, 2012 at 8:10 a.m.

I really don't care who works on DS4. I enjoyed the SF4 games, & I enjoyed the MvC3 games. Either Ono or Niitsuma would work (though Niitsuma would have less work since Morrigan, Felicia, & Hsien-Ko are already made thanks to UMvC3).

I just want the game to turn out good. If either of the directors is the way to go, I say go for it.

Kirin said on June 5, 2012 at 8:47 a.m.

Buy Darkstalkers 4 for $60.
Spend another $60 to unlock Morrigan.

Darkstalkers are not dead.
So are Capcom`s DLCs.

Caliostro said on June 5, 2012 at 8:51 a.m.

"Darkstalkers are not dead"

Good, cause SFxT certainly is.

22Travail said on June 5, 2012 at 8:53 a.m.

Everyone is crying about which Capcom director is better and what team should make the game. I say let Ono and Nitsuma direct the game and both of there teams come as one and make the game (or at least the best people in Ono and nitsuma team). The End....It will be the best fighiting game ever made!

Sasuga said on June 5, 2012 at 9:46 a.m.

"SFxT is dead, stop playing it."

Looooool.

Tensa said on June 5, 2012 at 10:53 a.m.

People really think ono or niitsuma is in full control over the game they produce? No at the end of the day capcom makes the final shots,now with darkstalkers 4? I hope its good,heck capcom fixed mvc3 with umvc3 so anything is possible also I agree with #81 let them both,I would like niitsuma's team to come up with a good art style and gameplay while ono's side could come up with modes for casuals and really solid online

htownboss23 said on June 5, 2012 at 11:53 a.m.

I will not stop playing SFxT its the best game of 2012 the world devil jin , devil kazuya, evil ryu, oni, jinpachi, seth and gill.

Dan_CiTi said on June 5, 2012 at 6:10 p.m.

It needs to be a PS4/XB420 game, this game needs to look and play gorgeously, please give it A LOT of time Capcom and do it right on all fronts.

Also, pretty sure everyone thought Street Fighter was "dead" too for years, then we got SF4. Goddamn you people take things way too seriously and are way too cynical and negative to the point where it is just sad.

Kuza21 said on June 6, 2012 at 4:02 p.m.

Well when you have an E3 like this one. You can't really blame them.

Chrisuchiwa said on June 7, 2012 at 4:19 a.m.

I need to play Dmitri and Donovan, it is all I need now. Please Capcom lets confirm this. Darkstallers 4, I am happy.

TheSwedishElf said on June 7, 2012 at 10:20 p.m.

Yeah, here's what I'd fully expect from a new Darkstalkers game by now...

- Underpowered characters all over the place with a few overpowered ones
- Godawful English voices
- Buggy online play
- Half the characters are on-disc DLC
- No Jon, even as DLC
- Felicia is suddenly canonically a nun for no reason and is made even stupider somehow
- Announcer and actors can't even pronounce half the names right--I can hear it now: HEE-SEN-KO! LIE-LITH! WHITE-ZILL! Q-DASH-BEE!
- Some stupid feature like gems that lets noobs and jerkoffs cheap their way to the top
- Infinite combos
- No Midnight Bliss or any other moves that require additional models and therefore additional work
- Jedah heavily censored or entirely removed
- Timeline tardery
- Character model mirroring despite Street Fighter 3 proving they didn't have to do that anymore over a decade ago

Celticlord said on July 13, 2012 at 9:08 a.m.

So true #88

QUANCRO said on October 2, 2012 at 2:47 p.m.

PLEASE I NEED SOME NEWS ABOUT THIS .. VERY SOON .. CANOT WAIT ANY LONGER..