Super Battle Opera 2012 stream confirmed to be pay-per-view

Posted by Nyoro
July 28, 2012 at 9:19 a.m. PDT
Super Battle Opera 2012 stream confirmed to be pay-per-view Beast Note has recently discovered from watching a pre-Tougeki tournament interview that the stream this year will require a purchase and take place on Nico Douga, the same as last year.

This goes against the previous statements made from official sources that the stream would be free. It is unknown why this charge has been applied, but a possible reason could be clashes of opinion between the higher-ups at Tougeki or the fact that SBO is under the umbrella of a larger organization known as Game Summer Festival 2012 that may have demanded this.

Given how difficult it is for Western spectators to purchase points because of Nico's closed system, this is not a good sign for those who wanted to watch SBO 2012. The poor performance of the stream last year also does not serve as encouragement.

Please leave your thoughts below on Tougeki, its stream, and its potential revenue options to offset a free stream.

Comments

HolyGhost said on July 28, 2012 at 9:28 a.m.

Simba_v7 said on July 28, 2012 at 9:28 a.m.

My whole world is shattered.

TedTesty said on July 28, 2012 at 9:30 a.m.

The free to watch pre-SBO 5v5 will be more interesting to watch than this anyway.
So eh, not a big deal I guess.

JAgamer said on July 28, 2012 at 9:33 a.m.

Kurow said on July 28, 2012 at 9:38 a.m.

The stream sucked last year and people got scammed so no thank you I will save my $8.95

Zure said on July 28, 2012 at 9:44 a.m.

inb4 everyone uses a proxy

Existent said on July 28, 2012 at 10:02 a.m.

Anyone who wants me to pay a fee just to watch a stream can go f*ck themselves. Maybe it's harsh but that's how I see it.

GokaiGreen said on July 28, 2012 at 10:04 a.m.

tequilasauer said on July 28, 2012 at 10:14 a.m.

Yet again, SBO's inability to get with the emerging trends and times will only push them further away from success. Speculation for the last few years was that this tourney was going to end any year now and it really looks to be true this time.

Danny__Darkside said on July 28, 2012 at 10:32 a.m.

If EVO was like this then i would def pay because it would be so worth it, but that isnt the case right here.

SpicyBurrito said on July 28, 2012 at 10:48 a.m.

Through their actions the SBO organizers have made it clear that international prescence, participation and viewership is completely irrelevant to them.

The prime example being last year's treatment of the U.S and Kuwaiti qualifiers as opposed to the last minute Japanese qualifiers.

There's little reason why international viewers should continue to support SBO when they clearly hold such low regard for the international community.

FGC news outlets should stop promoting SBO stories outright and international gamers should boycott SBO qualifiers until SBO shows SOME sort of commitment to the international community.

hismit said on July 28, 2012 at 10:49 a.m.

Wow bad news. So the free stream this year is just a rumour.

We doomed again.

Outgoingspark said on July 28, 2012 at 10:55 a.m.

SBO is making a terrible choice with moving with this. Do they really believe people, especially gamers, will pay to watch this?

okay said on July 28, 2012 at 11:23 a.m.

I won't miss SBO if there are no more in the future.

Ittouryoudan said on July 28, 2012 at 11:54 a.m.

I'll wait for the youtube archives if I seem even a bit interested.

So sad.

illness690 said on July 28, 2012 at 12:10 p.m.

Mistah_JKno said on July 28, 2012 at 12:45 p.m.

They can watch Evo for free but will charge for SBO? Thats kinda weak bro, I hope people don't actually pay for that.

tequilasauer said on July 28, 2012 at 12:47 p.m.

Honestly, though, who gives a crap. Best of 3 single elimination? Skip it anyway. It's barely worth watching for free, much less paying for it. I paid the fee for EVO because I wanted to support a great tournament, Spooky, and the community as a whole, but this is definitely not worth it.

niggardly said on July 28, 2012 at 1:38 p.m.

zxzxz said on July 28, 2012 at 1:38 p.m.

the problem is.. i bought it last year. -- And it was the most pathetic stream i've ever seen. 99% of the matches were off stream. and they clearly didn't give a f about the viewers. so..

Murdurus said on July 28, 2012 at 2:14 p.m.

Who would want to go through the trouble of paying for the stream (which is an ordeal on its own) that has crappy quality and then the chances that the US players are going to be streamed is very unlikely? It really makes me wonder why US players even bother to take SBO seriously.

tequilasauer said on July 28, 2012 at 3:53 p.m.

I don't get your point. I cared less about the quality of the stream and more about supporting the FGC. I use an Ultrabook with a fairly small screen, the lower qualities were fine for me. I paid because I wanted to chip in. It was a good product and they delivered on what they claimed they would. I hope they can further monetize the industry a bit more to bring in even MORE high quality content and better pay the players. It's the only way the industry can be successful.

Yeah, I never paid for SBO last year but I had heard that it was pretty bad. It's amazing to me how good The Runback and Big Two have gotten and they're totally free.

spotlesseden said on July 28, 2012 at 4:02 p.m.

i paid them last year. The stream sucks. 90% of the matches are not on stream. I think they only show want to show daigo's matches. I will only pay if all the matches are on steam.

ponpon said on July 28, 2012 at 4:16 p.m.

No need to pay.

SBO sucks.

Boogityboy said on July 28, 2012 at 4:35 p.m.

Tensa said on July 28, 2012 at 6 p.m.

wow lol

tequilasauer said on July 28, 2012 at 6:14 p.m.

Also, let's face it, the American SF players will get bodied so there's no sense in watching for that. Watching high level SF players from other countries is great but not worth paying to see live. The Marvel play will be meh (probably not even as efficient or effective as what you'd see on the Runback) and we're all mostly interested because we want Justin to win this thing, but with 2/3 single elim, the odds of him getting randomed out by some derpy Hulk/Raccoon/Vergil type are pretty high.

yamazaki said on July 28, 2012 at 6:36 p.m.

tougeki is great because of 3rd and formely (unfortunately) 2X alone. i will admit the streams are kind of weak... i wish they'd put out dvds again. but at the same time, evo has been disappointing as well. with tougeki you don't get random one hit wonders in the top 8/16/whatever--and tougeki qualifiers for sf4 are always more exciting to watch than evo pools. marvel was really good at this past evo though.

ultimately, sf4 for tougeki isn't that great, because the japanese already have many tournaments with top level competition. 3rd strike at tougeki however, is still prestigous, as you actually get players from all over japan that don't normally make it out for example to the tournaments because they live in kansai, or kyushu, etc.

japanese commentary is way more hype though.

Chrisuchiwa said on July 28, 2012 at 10:54 p.m.

SBO sucks, for real SBO sucks. We saw all EVO and his road for free ( but I only subscribe at TS and LVL up ) and now we have to pay for a tournament with only some international players. I really wanted to see UMvC3 but no way, I will never pay for this.
So bad, really so bad.

lkjsdifosdfwe said on July 29, 2012 at 4:15 a.m.

JRXP2011 said on July 29, 2012 at 6:11 a.m.

Fack SBO. I will not be forced to pay. I'll just watch the highlight footage that comes out afterwards, which will be the only parts worth watching anyway. Stay free SBO, you will not have my fat american dollars.

Temtt said on July 29, 2012 at 6:19 a.m.

I absolutely agree! Tougeki is a must for 3S/ST fans!

linggglll said on July 29, 2012 at 7:07 a.m.

scytheavatar said on July 29, 2012 at 10:39 a.m.

Does anyone know how much the Japanese paid for the FIFA 2012 world cup? 7500 yen is 95.43 USD and I find it extremely hard to believe they paid half of that, for something that lasted 1 month and is watched by billions.