Ono interested in Street Fighter crossover with Mortal Kombat

Posted by Catalyst
January 29, 2012 at 5:56 p.m. PST
Ono interested in Street Fighter crossover with Mortal Kombat A Street Fighter crossover with Mortal Kombat is something fans have been asking about for a long time, and recently Yoshinori Ono confirmed his interest on Twitter. Ono added that it would be difficult to do, though. He also talked about a Marvel vs. DC title he talked about in the past, but said making it would be "impossible."

Christian Svensson and Seth Killian also jumped in to update users on the PC release of Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition v2012 and respond to a query regarding if you can disable the glow of gems in Street Fighter X Tekken, among other topics.

Will we ever see a Mortal Kombat vs. Street Fighter? It's a cross over we've always hoped for. — DanDaveTaylor

Ono: Ummm, it's so hard. But I have interest in it ;D

Will there be another status update for PC SSF4 AE v2012? — Eternal

Svensson: I suspect the next update will be when it clears quality assurance and we begin the propping process, which is still a couple weeks away.

Are there any plans for an all inclusive costume pack for all of the alternate costumes released for SFIV and SSFIV to date? — Rob

Svensson: [...] Unfortunately, there won't ever really be one. They will stay sold as complete packs for each era of the game.

Will there be an option to disable character flash/glow when activating gems in Street Fighter X Tekken? — N0 One Special

Seth Killian: So far as I know, there's no option like this apart from simply turning down the brightness on your screen. I think the idea was to make it clear that the gem was active (and clear when it ends), hence the flashing. Hope it's not going to be a problem for you down the road.

How is the Marvel vs. DC project going? — AriesWarlock

Ono: Hahaha~ it's my dream, but it's impossible. ;P

Some responses from the Unity Boards.

Comments

vsDenjin said on January 29, 2012 at 6:02 p.m.

that thumbnail, haha.

ryu's like, 'woah... nice headband'.

DeezeeKujaku said on January 29, 2012 at 6:03 p.m.

Dumbest idea ever... Street Fighter fans don't want Street Fighters to be fatalitied, and MK fans don't want to give up their Fatalities.

DeezeeKujaku said on January 29, 2012 at 6:04 p.m.

MK Vs DC was a prime example of how MK can't cross over with ANYTHING. Do it with Killer Instinct and call it a day.

kupowns said on January 29, 2012 at 6:05 p.m.

Great, another troll from Ono...

h1tm0nl33 said on January 29, 2012 at 6:05 p.m.

@3 why not do like Street Fighter X Tekken and Tekken X Street Fighter then have one with MK gameplay and gore and one with SF Gameplay?

codename_yun said on January 29, 2012 at 6:06 p.m.

sf vs kof made sense

mk vs tekken would've made more sense than sf vs tekken imo..

SakuraKasuganoFan said on January 29, 2012 at 6:08 p.m.

i dont think SF x MK is a good idea because i dont think no one wants to see their favorite charcter from SF get decapitated or split in half...if they ever do one its going be MK vs DC all over again which sucked imo -.-

NvhA said on January 29, 2012 at 6:08 p.m.

Oh please no, Ono. FFS..

J said on January 29, 2012 at 6:10 p.m.

DO NOT WANT.

Keep your crappy MK out of my SF please.

deltawhite said on January 29, 2012 at 6:11 p.m.

Marvel vs. DC has to happen. Unfortunately, Disney and Warner Bros. probably won't let it happen any time soon.

h1tm0nl33 said on January 29, 2012 at 6:12 p.m.

Like i Said have Nether-Realm Studios do Mortal Kombat VS Street Fighter and have Capcom make Street Fighter VS Mortal Kombat simple as that then they both have there creative control intact.

OSM said on January 29, 2012 at 6:12 p.m.

No thank you.

Tensa said on January 29, 2012 at 6:14 p.m.

please dont do sf vs mk just make cvs3

Gameplan said on January 29, 2012 at 6:14 p.m.

Oh god, Ono strikes again. Thanks but no thanks. Better focus on a new Darkstalkers, CvS3 or start working on SFV for the next gen consoles.

J said on January 29, 2012 at 6:17 p.m.

A Capcom produced Marvel VS. DC would be godlike though.

Whengameswerefun said on January 29, 2012 at 6:18 p.m.

lol yo this would be crazy I don't even know how this game would turn out.

R4HU1 said on January 29, 2012 at 6:20 p.m.

I'd buy any Street Fighter related game.

Otter_of_Death said on January 29, 2012 at 6:20 p.m.

Mortal Kombat is by far my favorite fighting game franchise, and I would GLADLY give up fatalities to see MKvsSF. You wouldn't guess it, but most of us MK types don't prioritize fatalities as high as you think.

People think we're all gore hounds, but that's mostly only true at the scrub level. In truth, we're all just a bunch of guys who really like John Carpenter and Lord of the Rings.

Gameplan said on January 29, 2012 at 6:20 p.m.

@16 Agreed, but pretty much impossible from a licensing stand point. :(

J_Tier said on January 29, 2012 at 6:21 p.m.

Don't like SF anywhere near MK.

On another note, Marvel Vs. DC would be of interest.

shin_ono said on January 29, 2012 at 6:23 p.m.

street fighter with a bit of blood and gore? this could be good :D

triplefierce said on January 29, 2012 at 6:25 p.m.

Horrible idea, but they should go ahead and make it already. I won't buy it, but at least all this teasing and speculation will cease.

If anything, I'd like to see a KoF, SF, VF, TK crossover. Im not even joking.

Halos said on January 29, 2012 at 6:25 p.m.

Street Fighter X Mortal Kombat
Marvel X Detective Comics

these 2 games should have been made over 10 years ago

JrockEclipse said on January 29, 2012 at 6:25 p.m.

MKVSDC was a complete fail and waste of time...

at least MK VS SF would be something people actually want!

h1tm0nl33 said on January 29, 2012 at 6:28 p.m.

I couldn't buy Marvel VS DC...because I would die of an Awesomeness Overdose upon it's announcement.

Otter_of_Death said on January 29, 2012 at 6:29 p.m.

@ 25

In fairness, the game sold great. It wasn't good from a gameplay standpoint, but that's because Midway was going bankrupt and rushed development to get quick revenue.

Actually, that's why MK4 through MK7 were so bad as well.

EMP_FrontpageMonster said on January 29, 2012 at 6:30 p.m.

I feel like this has been on the front page at least 4 times within the last 2 years

drunkendan said on January 29, 2012 at 6:33 p.m.

Ono does/says anything

Fans; STOP TROLLING

on a serious note I wouldn't but MK vs Sf (I do not like MK at all) but a lot of people would

Chronoless said on January 29, 2012 at 6:33 p.m.

I would spend money for Marvel vs DC.... hell I'll even buy your super/Ultimate/AE/20xx version too

drunkendan said on January 29, 2012 at 6:37 p.m.

pfft all mks are rushed. Even the new and 3 back had horrible hit detection. Heck the first mk was one fighter(all had the same animations and basic moves) one special move for each and then a few fatalities. And for Sonya it was the same template just did half damage and took more damage but was not faster at all(good design)Hell even the character design is copy paste. We make fun or SF for Ken, Ryu, Akuma, and Sean but try to find a character who doesn't fit into one of the copy paste characters in MK.

MilnerWins said on January 29, 2012 at 6:38 p.m.

Super Ultimate Hyper SF x Namco x DC x Marvel x WWE x SNK x Tatsunoko x KoF x Soul Calibur x Final Fight x Rival Schools x Bloody Roar x Virtual Fighter Arcade Championship Edition 2014 HD Remix - I would consider

but yeah no Mortal Combat thanks. keep your decapitating E.Honda fantasies to yourself

MilnerWins said on January 29, 2012 at 6:38 p.m.

Kombat*

Dr_Robotnik said on January 29, 2012 at 6:40 p.m.

I'd be interested ON THE ONE CONDITION that it is made completely in the style of Street Fighter and is nothing like Mortal Kombat, which is for 10 year olds who want to look kool.

shadow050 said on January 29, 2012 at 6:42 p.m.

the mugen video already taught us that scorpion will beat ryu's arse lol. he'll need akuma to rescue him just like in that popular youtube video lol

BLAFY said on January 29, 2012 at 6:43 p.m.

MK VS SF, I can't wait to see how fat Liu Kang will look!!!

EVERYONE VS EVERYONE 2020

ricefarmer said on January 29, 2012 at 6:44 p.m.

Otter_of_Death said on January 29, 2012 at 6:45 p.m.

@ 27

MK1 was kinda an accident in history. I don't really hold it accountable for its faults, especially given how early in the genre it came about.

As for MK2, yes, it recycled a lot of animations and art designs, but that game pushed it's memory limits to the brim. There were actually a handful of characters who never saw the light of day because of that.

MK3 was came out prematurely because they wanted the release to coincide with the MK film. Hence, why UMK3 is treated as the official version. I strongly consider UMK3 a competitive success to this day.

draw2 said on January 29, 2012 at 6:45 p.m.

I think capcom should just make another Street Fighter and give it a dark and final story with really good intros, endings, and rival cutscenes. keep and refine the current engine...add a few more of the characters people want or didn't see get in (e.g. remaining Alpha3 & 3rd Strike cast)

Of course it'll take ages to balance and what not...
but there's already a current cult following of Alpha and 3rd Strike loyal players...and just like Vanilla it bought a lot of old players back to the scene.

h1tm0nl33 said on January 29, 2012 at 6:49 p.m.

The story would be epic if set during SF Alpha-2 and MK 1-3 Akuma Kills Tsung Cyber Dan(poking fun at Cyber Sub-Zero) Kill guile instead of Charlie Ect Ect think about the possibility's

drunkendan said on January 29, 2012 at 6:54 p.m.

#40 Street Fighter Retcon edition. Huh this sounds familiar COUGHmk9COUGH

h1tm0nl33 said on January 29, 2012 at 7 p.m.

Yeah because Street Fighter never Retconed anything Ever COUGHGouken,Gen,Bison are aliveCOUGH yeah Nothing at all.

EDGEucator said on January 29, 2012 at 7:04 p.m.

I'd buy NetherRealms version. Not Capcom's.

drunkendan said on January 29, 2012 at 7:05 p.m.

Street fighter has retconned just not As much. Like everything that has happened ever. It would be like if an established comic company took their line of characters and rebooted them all after 30+ years of continuity COUGHdccomicsCOUGH.

Otter_of_Death said on January 29, 2012 at 7:06 p.m.

But prior to MK9, I would still say MK has the more consistent story. I actually really like the story up to MKD (MK6).

drunkendan said on January 29, 2012 at 7:06 p.m.

netherrelms version will be great. It will have all the animation quality of Tekken 2. Just like MK9. Or as I called it Mortal Kombat Trilogy Hd Retkon edition

drunkendan said on January 29, 2012 at 7:07 p.m.

I point at that side games (which are..well were canon and retconed a number of things) and laugh

uguumachine said on January 29, 2012 at 7:12 p.m.

I don't want a Marvel vs DC, because there aren't enough decent DC characters. Just give me a pure Marvel fighting that is more like MvC1.

and SFvsMK just makes me laugh. I like the characters and the world of MK, but it doesn't mash with SF at all.

Otter_of_Death said on January 29, 2012 at 7:14 p.m.

Well, one standard the old-school MK fans use to define canonical/non-canonical is if the game was produced by both Boon and Tobias. Special Forces (one of the worst games of all time), was exclusively a Tobias' project, and he disowned it pretty quickly after the fact.

I actually don't know which creators worked on Mythologies: Sub-Zero, but so far all the main MK installments have corroborated MKMS as canon (MK9 especially, really).

Boon however did do a lot of work on Shaolin Monks, but the official story writer for MK (John Vogel) was not present on the project, so most of us don't recognize that game as canon.

drunkendan said on January 29, 2012 at 7:14 p.m.

correction there are not a lot of good well known DC characters. But that is preference :P

Honestly I would love to see DC and Marvel have a Vs. game.

drunkendan said on January 29, 2012 at 7:17 p.m.

there is a difference between word of god and pretending it didn't happen. Boone did work on Sub-zero. And unless they literally say it isn't canon it was like it or not. You know Sonic fans while stupid are lucky that 06 retconed it's self i the end. So it LITERALLY didn't happen. I'm sorry the fact that one of the worst games of this gen retcons it's self amuses me to no end.

Otter_of_Death said on January 29, 2012 at 7:24 p.m.

@ 51

To me it seems the reverse is true. If the creators don't claim it as canon, then it's not. I mean, think of it like this: Jade was confirmed alive in MK6; she gets stabbed in the brain in Shaolin Monks... are we to believe that they retconned Jade surviving MK2 in the events of MKSM only to re-retcon her back to life in MK7? It just doesn't add up. It seems pretty clear to me that Shaolin Monks wasn't meant to be canon.

And I agree, Mythologies Sub-Zero is pretty much canon.

MALDA said on January 29, 2012 at 7:24 p.m.

Von_Kunlun_BOOF said on January 29, 2012 at 7:25 p.m.

As much as I love both games, I just couldn't handle characters like Sakura being ripped limb from limb. There are only a few characters in SF that are violent enough to make it in, but just those few. (Akuma, Bison, Gen and Vega are the only ones that really come to mind)

VenomRanger said on January 29, 2012 at 7:25 p.m.

Capcom should make a fighting game out of those Jap/american icons that some dude made in the SFIV art style.

MALDA said on January 29, 2012 at 7:26 p.m.

T3rror said on January 29, 2012 at 7:27 p.m.

I don't see how it would be hard to do a MKvSF. People who like MK are not crazy about gore and fatalities as much as others seem to think. MKvDC proved that with its selling over 2 million.

MALDA said on January 29, 2012 at 7:28 p.m.

drunkendan said on January 29, 2012 at 7:29 p.m.

so if the creators do not say it is canon then nothing is canon huh...EVERY GAME IS IN IT'S OWN CANON NOW

and yes they did do that much retconing with Jade. then again considering you can kill every fighter going through story with the if they never say directly it is canon then every character has died in every gsme

RHayabusa said on January 29, 2012 at 7:30 p.m.

Sounds interesting - but I'll be scarred for life when scorpion tears out Sakura's spine :(

TheMasterPlayer said on January 29, 2012 at 7:32 p.m.

so there's no possibility of marvel vs DC at this point in time? that's fine for now.. with all these great vs fighting games coming out in the next few years.. I'll have plenty to play around with.. But for the love of fighting games.. MARVEL VS DC absolutely needs to happen, even if it takes another 10 years, lol.. well maybe not that long...

MALDA said on January 29, 2012 at 7:33 p.m.

Otter_of_Death said on January 29, 2012 at 7:33 p.m.

Obviously if a game is part of the main series, they wouldn't need to say "this game is canon." I was applying that standard to the side games. If we take the reverse logic, every Star Wars novel made after 1985 becomes canon in the Lucas' mythology.

drunkendan said on January 29, 2012 at 7:38 p.m.

I am pretty sure Lucas doesn't even know what is canon anymore

Asmiliz said on January 29, 2012 at 7:41 p.m.

I would rather see my favourit SF characters cut in half then seeing them make that stupid face between fuertes legs in his 2nd Ultra. or getting raped and proppelered on by hakan.

And MK fans see their characters decapitated, They dont have a problem with it, why do you guys? And if you win, you wont have that problem anyway so see it as a motivation.

I especially like that a lot of the Guys who said that said that "people" wouldnt like to see that. Speak for yourselfes, not for people who you never met and dont know. How ridiculuss is that?

Asmiliz said on January 29, 2012 at 7:46 p.m.

And for the SF fatalities. Dont you know its ono? Hes gonna make a joke out of it, like Dan accidentaly running scorpion over wich breaks his neck or rufus talking the other guy to death. MKs characters have a lot more to loose if Ono is creating Fatalities...

drunkendan said on January 29, 2012 at 7:52 p.m.

those fatalities are hilarious imo

honestly though It's bot the seeing characters I like get killed that bugs me I honestly don't care it's just I don't like MK in general. That being said They probably should make it. I think from a business prospective it would do well since a large number of people want it. I may not buy it but I know a lot would like it

drunkendan said on January 29, 2012 at 7:52 p.m.

*not

Jebus said on January 29, 2012 at 7:55 p.m.

capcom, is now a company of trolls they have lost all respect

Unknown_Unknown said on January 29, 2012 at 7:56 p.m.

Lol, why do people keep talking about fatalities like Capcom would incorporate that into their game? Lol. Has Capcom gone full 3d for SFXT? Anyways, Sonya vs Cammy? Akuma vs Scorpion? Raiden vs. Bison? I'm down.

shadow_shogun said on January 29, 2012 at 7:56 p.m.

Two of my favorite games in one? Yes please! Ono... make it happen.

drunkendan said on January 29, 2012 at 7:58 p.m.

#jebus
capcom does something some fans don't like

fans get butthurt and call them trolls

Seth facepalms

This is the cycle of every news involving capcom. Am I incorrect?

XxRagingxDemonxX said on January 29, 2012 at 7:59 p.m.

Omg, Frozen Hadokens and Sonic Booms. My dream might come true. Dont give me that mugen shyt either. No Mugen char. can live up to MK Sub-zero. I wonder if they will allow it to freeze M.Bison's Teleport move, when its able to be hit by something.

i208khonsu said on January 29, 2012 at 8:02 p.m.

WTB Pocket Fighter vs Puzzle Kombat PST

RunningWild said on January 29, 2012 at 8:04 p.m.

SyckEndings said on January 29, 2012 at 8:19 p.m.

Rather would see SF x Killer Instinct..

aaron_mag said on January 29, 2012 at 8:22 p.m.

No. Keep fatalities away from Street Fighter. Do not want.

Bonymac23 said on January 29, 2012 at 8:24 p.m.

PLEASE TELL ME THIS IS A JOKE..SMFH

Roknows said on January 29, 2012 at 8:35 p.m.

I have mixed feelings about the idea
I grew up playing both MK and SF
I'm more of a SF kind of guy but I don't mind seeing somebody head being ripped off
There's a lot of riff raff from people saying they wouldn't buy the game but I'm sure most would anyway.
I always wanted to see Ryu Vs Lu Kang, M.Bison vs Shao Kahn Chun Li vs Sonya just think of the match ups.
I'm sure the Gameplay would be good but I'm not too worried about that its just the storyline. I bet that would be crazy
People say capcom probably wouldn't go for it but hell they got games like resident evil and dead rising so I'm sure they could come up with something interesting.

Just think Ryu using a shin shoryuken and knocks Lu kangs head off or actually seeing what goes when the screen goes black during the raging demons...

theshredder39 said on January 29, 2012 at 8:35 p.m.

eh i wouldn't mind MK vs SF regardless of the lack of fatalities, i love both franchises equally and i personally found Mortal Kombat fun to play more than fun to find ways to brutally murder your opponent, i like the fatalities, but it's not what i played for

LK said on January 29, 2012 at 8:54 p.m.

The crossover with MK can happen, but only on one condition.

*drum rolls*

Street Fighter The Movie Game vs. Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3!

*head = officially blown*

"Mortal Kombat whoopsie sound"

Zarathos said on January 29, 2012 at 9:02 p.m.

Marvel vs DC can't even happen in comics now , let alone some video game .

And it's without even considering both being owned by giants such as Disney and Warner now .
If there was a chance of both mixing it out , it dissapeared the moment both had successful movies out this decade .

The original DC vs Marvel comics pretty much happened as both were hemorraging money , wont happen again before the same situation occurs .

PsychoCrusher said on January 29, 2012 at 9:04 p.m.

we have way too many cross over games now, I'd rather just see a return to street fighter, as in sf5, in the coming years after the hype of ae and sfxt has gone down. unless of course they were going to do CvS3 with blazblue style 2d art :)

drez1210 said on January 29, 2012 at 9:08 p.m.

I would rather see street fighter vs guilty gears. In full HD 2d glory

kaka said on January 29, 2012 at 9:13 p.m.

if marvel vs dc ever happen, you can expect over half the roster to be disappointing or characters the majority have never heard of

T3rror said on January 29, 2012 at 9:25 p.m.

@58 The game sold well even with people knowing there would be no fatalities and gore. People wanted to see MK and DC characters pitted against each other. Yes DC logo did play a part in it selling just like Marvel logo is doing for Capcom right now.

My point is that when it comes to fighters people love the idea of two series coming together they don't care if some changes are made to make it work. See CvS, SvC, Street Fighter X Tekken, Tekken X Street Fighter, Super Smash Bros, Marvel vs series

The only thing that some people seem to think is stopping MKvSF from working is fatalities and gore which has been proven already to not be a factor.

MINI said on January 29, 2012 at 9:30 p.m.

please let it be an option to turn down the glow effect of gems in STxT!

The glow ruins the beautiful character design when gems are activated!

shades_of_grey said on January 29, 2012 at 9:57 p.m.

I actually really dislike the gem glow/flashing myself. I get the idea but, I think they should've just kept it at making the gem icon glow/blink down at the bottom by your meter. This and dlc gems are my only big issues with the system.

shades_of_grey said on January 29, 2012 at 10:01 p.m.

And why do people keep asking for MK vs SF? I adore both games but that sh*t is not a good idea in my opinion. Remember MKvDC?

Batsu said on January 29, 2012 at 10:24 p.m.

Well there you go. Instead of Darkstalkers 4. This is what we'll get.

CHMOD said on January 29, 2012 at 10:46 p.m.

Yes....I'll finally get to see Chun li give head, awesome!!

gtfopanda said on January 30, 2012 at 12:42 a.m.

Jesus, no!

Don't want SF characters to have their spinal cord ripped!

NvhA said on January 30, 2012 at 1:07 a.m.

Get your Guro fix elsewhere. Don't ruin my pure love Chun Li fantasy.

EDGEucator said on January 30, 2012 at 2 a.m.

Lol , you high on that weed you kids smoke ?

Oh_my_f_god said on January 30, 2012 at 2:47 a.m.

ARE U SF FANS RLY SERIOUS?!
When you hear about MK, why don't you remember large mk community that was alive even when series was dead? Why don't you remember, that mk9 is competitive fighting game? Why don't you remember that MK1 was the only game, that took a lot of popularity from sf2 at early 90's?!
Why I read your whining, such as "No, Fatality, SF can't live through it", or "I r afraid of scorpion spine rip", and even "Don't ruin my Chun Li fantasy"?
Why you think that MK fans only like gore and violence? Do you ever know, how deep and beautiful the universe of MK is?
Fatalities and Violence are only additions for each character, that only reveals a part of their personality?
In fact, very few times there was canon fatality(even murder) in story of MK, I personally remember only Scorpion's spin rip on Sub-Zero at the very beginning.
You just don't want to see any further than your nose.
I am disappointed at you. }:/

MALDA said on January 30, 2012 at 4:56 a.m.

SonicFlashX said on January 30, 2012 at 5:41 a.m.

SF vs MK?

Zarathos said on January 30, 2012 at 6:03 a.m.

@#85

Then the fault would lies with the ones playing it , despite requesting it .

WHat would you expect to only see Batman and all its clones/spinoff , every superman of existence , the main xmen team , spiderman and the movies avengers ?

Of course there would be a need to counter balance with character that actually interest readers of the books , not just Marvel and DC pop icons from the 90 .

MrTrite said on January 30, 2012 at 6:50 a.m.

As a semi-MK-fan, I'd honestly be ready to give up fatalities. Maybe the MK side's Super Arts would resemble the X-Rays or something? That would honestly be enough.

Puchongo said on January 30, 2012 at 7:12 a.m.

ahhh, just make an all marvel game that contains like 60 characters or more. In reality alot of characters are gonna be somewhat similar but we don't care...thats just variety. Think about it, yun, feilong,pheonix and now wesker have all been broken characters...but if they had all had counterparts(the ken to ryu) this wouldn't be a problem or a character selection trend. Black Panther, Blade for mvc!! so what if they're similar...we're gonna pay you anyway, and it costs you less work....so to speak. Please Capcom, cough up the good stuff. Talk about something doable and that is actually gonna be scheduled for production or you're serious about developing.

NoremacX8 said on January 30, 2012 at 9:47 a.m.

"It's a cross over we've always hoped for."

Speak for yourself. The two DO NOT mix.

Load more comments