Sven wishes Tatsunoko vs. Capcom 'caught a little more fire'

Posted by Jonathan 'Catalyst' Grey • January 28, 2012 at 5:48 p.m. PST
Sven wishes Tatsunoko vs. Capcom 'caught a little more fire' Chiming in once again on the Unity Boards, Christian Svensson talked about Tatsunoko vs. Capcom's UAS sales performance on the Wii. While stating he wasn't dissatisfied with how it performed, he wished the game caught on more with a broader audience.

He also went on to explain why Marvel vs. Capcom 3 was announced so shortly after TvC came out, what Seth's role at Capcom is and responds to a fairly robust request from a fan to continue the Street Fighter 4 series.

Are you happy with how Tatsunoko vs. Capcom performed? I don't think Capcom ever released official numbers on its sales so I don't know how well it did. — Eternal

Svensson: Investor Relations has never released official numbers. Let's just say the performance was not near to any of the Street Fighter 4s or Marvel vs. Capcoms and leave it at that. I wished it would have caught a little more fire than it did (and the game being as good as it was, really deserved it) but I'm not dissatisfied with the North American performance in the end.

What was the thinking behind announcing Marvel vs Capcom 3 only three months after the release of Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars? While it is true that TvC and MvC3 were on separate systems, it still was a direct competitor for a player base and Marvel was an established fighting franchise both with fans and the FGC tournaments. — Eternal

Svensson: Frankly, for the majority of the people who bought either title, it's a completely different audience given the disparate demographics of the platforms upon which those games reside. While I love the FGC, in terms of raw numbers purchased, even if TvC had been adopted more widely by the competitive community, I don't think it would have moved the needle appreciably for it in terms of broader acceptance. Secondly, it takes about 10-12 monthsish for a marketing cycle on a big game to build the awareness it needs to be successful. That Captivate was planned early in the process the right window for MvC3 (even before we'd managed to get everything done to bring TvC Westward).

Hit the jump for more.

Did Seth Killian get fired? I haven't seen him around lately. — Tuan

Svensson: Seth is just very busy, and he does do a lot for Street Fighter X Tekken.

That said, in addition to being a front man for many of our fighting games, he's also in charge of all of our community development strategy across the West. That means his grubby mitts are busy with giving feedback on current and future product plans, marketing plans and all sorts of other things that keep him out of the public eye.

How about a new last version of Street Fighter 4 for 25th anniversary? Which has:

• All the Street Fighter cast from SFxT.
• More stages, character-specific ones.
• One more ultra and super for every one.
• New Anime prologues and endings and a gallery mode for them. — Strugler

Svensson: I don't even know what to say to this request...

Comments

Tensa said on January 28, 2012 at 5:51 p.m.

main problem it was on the wii

Brosephski said on January 28, 2012 at 5:52 p.m.

I personally bought the game and believe it is better than Marvel vs Capcom 3. Still, it is on the Wii... so I barely played it.

SadisticSamurai said on January 28, 2012 at 5:53 p.m.

PSN & Xbox Live Arcade release Capcom. Dont act like you dont know how to whore your games!

Roll_tier said on January 28, 2012 at 5:56 p.m.

I really wish this game got more attention. tvc is a fun game, and pretty balanced. I enjoy playing it and the roster is quite fun. plus roll doesnt suck in that game

tequilasauer said on January 28, 2012 at 5:57 p.m.

Everybody knows the reason it didn't do well. It was a terrible decision releasing that game on a system made only to sell first party titles. Why any outside company ever decided to try and release anything on the Wii is beyond me.

Hell, release the game NOW on XBL or PSN and I'd get it.

Cloukyo said on January 28, 2012 at 5:58 p.m.

That final ridiculous question haha

roknin said on January 28, 2012 at 6 p.m.

Love Wii, really I do, and I hoped that the game would bring more fighters to the Wii.

But the online on Ninty systems is butt, and Wii is certainly no exception. Honestly, I think that's a large reason the game didn't do well... although, unfamiliarity with Tatsunoko by most was an issue too. A lot of my friends weren't even willing to TRY the game because of the obscure (in their eyes) cast.

That said, I'm glad it was brought over, and I thank them for that. I fuggin loved it, and if I can ever wrestle a group of people to play, I'll try to get games in. Yatterman-1/Doronjo team! <3

Eternal said on January 28, 2012 at 6:02 p.m.

O hey, I posted that question on unity a bit ago. Surprised to see it here after this long.

portalsofmadnes said on January 28, 2012 at 6:03 p.m.

TvC is a dam fun and balanced game,too bad it was on the Wii.It deserved more sales/attention/hype than it got,you just dont release fighting games for wii.

Graphf said on January 28, 2012 at 6:06 p.m.

Ex_Ein said on January 28, 2012 at 6:06 p.m.

@Sadistic, you know they'd most likely have to re-license all the Tatsunoko characters right? and unlike Marvel Tatsunoko characters (especially in America and Europe) have their rights owners spread out over many companies. That plus without much intrest in the west, I doubt the money they'd spend re-licensing them for digital release and tweaking the online for XBL and PSN services like pulling up the other persons XBL/PSN profile and sending a message as well as Mic support(which takes a good while unless you want a buggy game/netcode) would make a noticeable profit that would be worth capcom's time and money in the end.

Summoner said on January 28, 2012 at 6:13 p.m.

...if he wished it to catch more fire than he should have released it for Xbox 360 and PS3 to say the least, otherwise he should have known what he's screwing with...

Truegamer said on January 28, 2012 at 6:15 p.m.

TVC SHOULD BE PORTED!!!
to PSN & XBLA
TVC Cant go out like it did on Wii...

kirbykirbykirby said on January 28, 2012 at 6:16 p.m.

Its not being on the wii that made it not get the attention it deserved..its the fact that they announced mvc3 and then noone cared about it. They killed the game without giving it a chance. There are more wii's out their than xbox and ps3. Im a nintendo fan but i got xbox and ps3 for street fighter and other capcom fighters. Im atleast lucky enough to play still play tvc with friends. Oh and mega man volnutt is awesome

R4HU1 said on January 28, 2012 at 6:17 p.m.

@1 - YEP! That's the honestly the only problem. I wanted to buy the game for PS3 and was disappointed when I found out it was only on the Wii. Many Capcom fans will buy the game JUST because it has Capcom in the title. I still don't think it would've sold well compared to MVC or SF or the upcoming SFxT (we know that's going to KILL). However, I would have bought the game because of it's unique art style and different game play. I probably won't buy it now because you jerks killed MVC by making it looks like TVC, maybe if you guys didn't have trollno mess with people and not make such consumer repelling decisions, it would still be a viable idea to release the game on PSN/XBL (assuming everything is fine and dandy legally).

tl;dr huehuehue

ChunLi said on January 28, 2012 at 6:18 p.m.

Again, was already stated, main problem was that it was on Wii.

The bigger issue was porting the game onto a console.

The biggest Pro *and* Con was that the specs for the Arcade version best matched the Wii.

Pro: little/no problems porting it.
Con: It was for Wii, which isn't a plus in any sense because:
(A) Not everyone got a Wii compared to the PS3/360 and
(B)The few that bought a Wii, more than likely aren't fans of fighting games.

For me, I was one of the few who liked fighting games and had a Wii, so of course I was able to play it with *two* other friends, but that was it.

I remember reading an article that said that if they were to make TvC for PS3/360, they would've had to completely build/remake it from the ground up.

Smart decision to save time and resources.

Bad decision in marketing and overall lifespan.

TvC would've been *way* more accepted and probably *still* be in the tourney list if it was on next-gen systems instead.

Summoner said on January 28, 2012 at 6:19 p.m.

#15 if it were released on later stages that wouldn't change much...roster in TVC is plain terrible and is very small...

noodalls said on January 28, 2012 at 6:22 p.m.

TvC to me was a game made for western players, half-filled with Eastern characters, for fighting game players on a system not recognised by fighting game players. It's a strange anomaly.

Summoner said on January 28, 2012 at 6:24 p.m.

it should have had more familiar faces to succeed, there're so much of great Capcom characters to choose from and there're sure much more from Tatsunoko as well, but yet they choose this...irrational...

Bleeble said on January 28, 2012 at 6:26 p.m.

I think everyone has said it best. The Wii is why TvC didn't do as well.

KIDGoggles said on January 28, 2012 at 6:27 p.m.

#2 comment basically cliffnoted this entire story.

shadow050 said on January 28, 2012 at 6:29 p.m.

if it was a wii exclusive i woulda had the damn game -_-

okay said on January 28, 2012 at 6:31 p.m.

I didn't feel like buying another arcade stick for 1 game on the Wii.

PainKiller said on January 28, 2012 at 6:37 p.m.

should have made the game for the 360 and ps3 then... sigh... not buying a wii son.

SpadeHand said on January 28, 2012 at 6:46 p.m.

What did they expect? It was a Wii exclusive and Speed Racer wasn't in it. Simple marketing.

Scourge739 said on January 28, 2012 at 6:48 p.m.

well
i just wish they could make a remake of tvc on 360 and ps3
with a better netcode

Xover92 said on January 28, 2012 at 6:48 p.m.

The problem was it was Tatsunoko & not many western people unless your a hardcore anime fan knows a thing about most of there characters, Now had it been Shonen Jump vs. Capcom & done right it wouldn't have matter which system it was, It would have done better than TvC & Possibly UMvC3 & SSF4 AEv.12.

JiCi said on January 28, 2012 at 6:49 p.m.

Of course, blame the console instead of the game itself...
Blame the ONLY console that keeps outselling both the PS3 and X360 combined...
The Wii sold so far above 90 millions units. There's AT LEAST 1/3 if not half of that number which is made of hardcore gamers, which is roughly the equivalent of the total numbers of PS3 or X360 sold on the market.

TvC has one MAJOR flaw, and believe it or not it's not the console: it's its release.

This game was thought unanimously to be bound to Japan forever, with NO chance of getting an international release. However, it did. Everything it's fine right ? WRONG ! The hype for this game was long gone by the time the US release was announced. Furthermore, fighting games were still trying to get back on track.

If Capcom would have planned an international release FROM THE BEGINNING, the game would have caught up pretty fast... but no, because apparently it's SO HARD to get the licenses from anime series that have been dead since the 80s.

BTW, at that time, you guys on the PS3 and X360 had SSFIV, the Wii had TvC, FAIR TRADE PEOPLE, you can't have everything.

So yeah, don't blame the Wii, blame Capcom for screwing up the release. The game comes up in Japan on one day, it comes in the US three days after and in EU seven days after that... is it already THAT hard to follow that rule ?!? Geez, don't wait 6 months between release, that's the worst way to kill hype.

Jebus said on January 28, 2012 at 6:49 p.m.

the wii wasnt the problem its that when it was ported we got the watered down butchered version

Model_M said on January 28, 2012 at 7:03 p.m.

What an idiot, another version of SF4? GTFO.

MadMetalSlayer said on January 28, 2012 at 7:04 p.m.

1st prob: Wii exclusive
2nd: i don't think alot of people are familiar with Tatsunoko stuff :/ i wasn't at least

BLAFY said on January 28, 2012 at 7:10 p.m.

THE Wii is the problem, and thats a fact. Sure the system outsells xbox and ps3, but no one really buy games for the wii. If it aint mario, zelda, or a party game it is not going to sell.

You can look up the top ten games since 2006 for each month when all the systems were out and see the same type of wii games get sold. On 360 and ps3 it varies (of course cod and halo) and its more of those titles. You will see 2- 3 tops of different wii games and the rest are ps3/360.

If this game was on all three systems then of course it would have sold better.

Ironmonk said on January 28, 2012 at 7:11 p.m.

Don't put fighters exclusively on the Wii! I would have bought this game if it was on the PS3.

LongSky said on January 28, 2012 at 7:13 p.m.

Another problem with TvC was that not many would know about the Tatsunoko company. As Tatsunoko is a pretty much a Japanese only company now, where as Marvel is worldwide. Shame that it only lasted so long.

Jebus said on January 28, 2012 at 7:15 p.m.

if it used the motion control to its fullest it wouldve been better

Summoner said on January 28, 2012 at 7:16 p.m.

they better work on Capcom vs SNK 3 now that would be monsterous sells! oh and the roster not lesser than 50 please...

Eternal said on January 28, 2012 at 7:28 p.m.

I fully agree that being on the Wii was a BIG issue. However I also know that it couldn't easily be ported.

TvC was designed from the ground up to run on the Wii, even the arcade versions ran on modified Wii hardware. Capcom stated that it is more likely to see TvC2 on more consoles than a port of TvC1 because the amount of work required to port it would be nearly as much as a whole new game.

They'd have to recode the entire engine from scratch.

Stop asking for a PSN/XBarcade port. Not only are you asking for WAY too much size wise (the game isn't small, just because it is a Wii game doesn't make it an Xbox arcade game. It is like 5gbs) but it also simply too much work for Capcom.

Capcom wont even port Marvel 3 to the PC. And Marvel 3 was designed ON THE PC FIRST using MT Frameworks which is an engine designed specifically for ease of portability (every single other MT Frameworks game has been released on the PC) I doubt they'd ever put in the work to release something that takes as much work as remaking TvC for Xbox if they wont do something that easy for PC.

BLAFY said on January 28, 2012 at 7:32 p.m.

Not everyone knows Tats but everyone knows VS CAPCOM. Slap that on there and it will sell like hot cakes.

Everyone has the internet, and when people see game play of that game it makes people want to buy

Kamehamehadouken said on January 28, 2012 at 7:33 p.m.

How about asking Capcom if they're ever going to move beyond Versus fighters and Street Fighter. It would be real nice to see great fighters like Darkstalkers and Rival Schools be reborn.

MALDA said on January 28, 2012 at 7:47 p.m.

Phynx said on January 28, 2012 at 7:48 p.m.

I'd like to slap "Strugler" for suggesting that.

GodPride said on January 28, 2012 at 7:54 p.m.

The game did poorly because it was on the Wii and no one cares for Tatsunoko anymore.

TheMasterPlayer said on January 28, 2012 at 7:59 p.m.

how about a new 3d beat-em-up side scrolling title ala streets of rage on the genesis and/or double dragon,battle toads, final fight on older generation systems? C'mon make a new beat-em-up game Capcom!

mrsbonbon said on January 28, 2012 at 8:10 p.m.

tvc is my favorite fighter hands down. Even after I bought a 360 just to play marvel, sf4, bb and tekken I still went back to tvc. saki for liiiiiiiiiiife!

lowtier4life said on January 28, 2012 at 8:30 p.m.

If it wasn't on the WII it would have done well. nobody plays fighters on the Wii.

giantbass said on January 28, 2012 at 9:03 p.m.

agree with many posts that had TvC been on ps3 and 360, most likely sales and definitely exposure would have been better.

keebler said on January 28, 2012 at 9:08 p.m.

Is your post sarcasm? We got a version with extra characters compared to the japanese release.

And there was another poster saying that TvC should have been on a ps3 or 360 because "not many people have a wii"...I really think that some of you just pull things out your butt without actually having any clue lol. The wii is practically a cultural phenomenon that is known by literally everyone and millions upon millions are in households. The problem with TvC was simply that it was a true fighting game, and one that really didnt cater to a wiimote. Smash Bros, DBZ Tenkaichi, and Naruto are the only other widely played fighters on the wii, and those all have simple controls that a wiimote can pull off.

Jerry said on January 28, 2012 at 9:10 p.m.

It doesn't matter if the Wii outsold the PS3 and 360 at the same time because majority of Wii owners don't care for fighting games. The people who buy the Wii bought it for Mario, Wii Sports, etc. The fighting game fans are mostly on the PS3 or Xbox 360.

Jerry said on January 28, 2012 at 9:17 p.m.

By the way, the above post is the main issue for TvC: fighting game fans are all on Xbox 360 and PS3. Wii owners don't care for fighting games.

Hotdiddykong said on January 28, 2012 at 9:32 p.m.

As much as i love the Wii and Tatsunoko, i have to agree, but its not only because it was on Wii that it doomed it but the fact is, its a japanese game. US and other territories tend to treat them like sh*t unless they have to do with S*x or if its Luckily loved by how unique it is Like Ace Attorney and such.

@Jerry
No, dont talk, "Wii Owner's" care for Fighting games as much as others, its just the circumstances surrounding the game being on the Wii. Multiplatform gamer's like myself dont care what type of game is on what console, as long as its great, we'll care and play it. and its agreeable to all the gamers who own wii's that tatsunoko was one hell of an awesome game and it sucks it didnt get much attention.

kirbykirbykirby said on January 28, 2012 at 9:33 p.m.

ok so tvc didnt do so well in the states but what's all that talk about umc3 not selling well?

Dr_Robotnik said on January 28, 2012 at 9:34 p.m.

I loved this game. This was my favorite vs. Capcom, and it suck so hard died almost as soon as it began (also, my boy Joe was finally in a game again. I can't not love it). I loved the 2v2 as opposed to Marvel's 3v3. I loved how all of your tools like cross combos and baroque had a cost, as opposed to "CROSS COMBO CROSS COMBO CROSS COMBO X FACTOR I WIN" in Marvel 3. I loved how it was mostly a new cast and they didn't just blindly recycle characters (I'm looking at you, everyone ever in Marvel 2). I loved how they balanced the game to make it just the right amount of technical, with none of the basic mechanics being too hard to master, but still giving you your fair share of tools to work with. I just loved the game overall, and it was such a shame that it was for an unpopular console with characters that most Americans wouldn't recognize. *sigh*, such is life, I suppose.

mo123 said on January 28, 2012 at 9:40 p.m.

I'd buy more SF characters for SF4 any day. I don't see anything that's going to top SF4 for me coming soon and I don't want to see SF5 until the next gen comes. Still it's not going to happen...

Jerry said on January 28, 2012 at 9:42 p.m.

I'm talking about people who only own one console. You also have to keep in mind not a lot of people own multi platforms. Of course, the people who have both a PS3 and Wii are gonna buy both MvC and TvC, but people who own one probably have a PS3 for SF, MvC, KoF, etc. and won't care at all to buy a Wii just for TvC.

Dr_Robotnik said on January 28, 2012 at 9:55 p.m.

@51 why did you censor the word sex?

Rome_Himself said on January 28, 2012 at 9:58 p.m.

lies all lies.capcom used tvc as a beta to see if mvc3 can be succesful.tvc was never given much hope from crapcom

kara said on January 28, 2012 at 10:11 p.m.

TheDeadTexan said on January 28, 2012 at 10:55 p.m.

I love TvC to death. Had a great roster, no horrible comeback mechanics, mega crash to stop infinites, everyone had a level 3 hyper, great music, awesome balance, and the official stick was really nice.

I think it's a much better game than Marvel 3, but that's just my opinion. I still love Marvel, though. Despite all the issues I have with it.

TvC2 for PS360 or WiiU!

Janitor4290 said on January 28, 2012 at 11:37 p.m.

I am pretty sure TvC would have done great had it not been on the Wii. Why the Wii of all consoles???

BigFleccs said on January 29, 2012 at 12:44 a.m.

wii lol get real.

Metazoa said on January 29, 2012 at 6:06 a.m.

I love the Wii, and I love this game, but I'll be honest. The reason it didn't catch on as much as it should've was because, as was previously mentioned, there aren't as many fighting game fans on the Wii (unless you count Smash as a fighting game). It also seems that everyone who is a fighting game owns a PS3 or 360 but not a Wii, so they just play the games on those consoles.

Had it been released on another console, it might have done better. Though, we wouldn't be lamenting it's unrecognized greatness if it did lol.

DORMWORM said on January 29, 2012 at 8:14 a.m.

ARE they playing stupid??
if it was on 360 or Ps3 it would have did huge #'s
it had the best character selection in my eyes but the wii controller made it feel so kid like...

Amerika said on January 29, 2012 at 8:27 a.m.

Besides the fact that the game was on the Wii the other major problem I have with it is I have no clue what Tatsunoko is. Just 0 clue. I have no love for the characters as I have no knowledge of them. I don't know if I'd get the game if it wa ported to the 360/ps3 tomorrow simply because at least half of the roster would be literally foreign to me.

mo123 said on January 29, 2012 at 9:08 a.m.

I think one of the biggest problems is that not enough people here have any idea what Tatsunoko is and their characters aren't well known here either. Tatsunoko is never going to compete with Marvel here in the US no matter how good the game is.

Plus the Wii, like a lot of people said, is just not the console of choice for the majority of fighting game fans. Does the Wii even have online capability?

Hotdiddykong said on January 29, 2012 at 9:11 a.m.

Just seriously, its because its Japanese, the game itself didnt do bad, it just didnt sell well outside Japan otherwise they were selling like hotcakes. EVEN if it was in 360/PS3, It would probably be near sales of MVC3, its just a Japanese game is all.l, I mean NOBODY knows who tatsunoko is unless you watch Japanese anime.

Anyways, they should make a sequel, Japan would love it obviously, making it for 360/PS3 and Wii U will most likely get more Attention, Hopefully, as I said its the whole Japanese thing

Murdoink said on January 29, 2012 at 9:38 a.m.

Capcom plz listen to #3

Dr_Robotnik said on January 29, 2012 at 10:16 a.m.

@64 They did Speed Racer. Maybe if they put him in, the game might've sold better.

mo123 said on January 29, 2012 at 10:23 a.m.

@68 They did Speed Racer and they didn't put him in the game? That is one character a lot of people in the US might recognize. I guess the game was made primarily for Japanese fans and ported here.

Dr_Robotnik said on January 29, 2012 at 10:43 a.m.

@69 they did add a few characters in the US version, so the could've easily added him, and I doubt Tatsunoko would've objected.

maelo2802 said on January 29, 2012 at 12:53 p.m.

Great game, sh*tty system choice and even sh*tier online.... Capcom did not think throughly about the decision to put it on the Wii ... regardless if it was already made on it. The game was unplayable online... and for someone like me that has no one to play with in person, it ruined the experience for me.

They should have kept the game mechanics for marvel... Baroque & mega crash were perfect. if only marvel had such balancing mechanics :(
either way like the one dude said Volnutt all day... o yea and Ippatsuman... i miss that game :(

Super_Honda said on January 29, 2012 at 1:30 p.m.

I've played TvC yesterday for the 1st time and I have to say it is a great game but its on a wrong format. I own a Wii and a PS3 and to release that great game on a Wii was a mistake. Apart from Smash (if you count Smash as a legit fighting game), fighting games aren't popular on the Wii as far as I know.

Dr_Robotnik said on January 29, 2012 at 2:25 p.m.

@72 Smash is more legit than Soul Caliber.

shyocity said on January 29, 2012 at 2:28 p.m.

people saying that the wii is NOT the problem don't get it... the wii sold so many consoles because parents and older people were buying wiis for themself, playing only like wii sports and wii fit and crap like that. not to mention the fact that not all people like fighting games, even those that bought more "hardcore" games. on top of that, the wii's online is complete trash, theres no replay value if you dont have a fellow hardcore fighting game partner. releasing a fighting game that isnt smash only on the wii is just stupid.