Project M 2.5 demo now available for download - adds Zero Suit Samus, Squirtle, Diddy Kong and Ivysaur, balance tweaks to current roster and more

Posted by Steven 'Dreamking23' Chavez • December 29, 2012 at 1:22 p.m. PST
The 2.5 demo for Project M, a Super Smash Brothers Brawl community-made mod on the Nintendo Wii that adds various tweaks for a more serious and balanced experience, has now been released and is available for download. The latest version is jam packed with updates adding 4 new characters: Zero Suit Samus, Ivysaur, Squirtle and Diddy Kong, new design changes to the current roster, engine optimizations and much more.

Be sure to visit this page for instructions on how to download and install the latest Project M demo.

You can check out the full list of updates for demo 2.5 here.

Click images for larger versions

Tip by an anonymous submitter.

Comments

hokuwokk said on December 29, 2012 at 1:33 p.m.

Been real dry on news lately huh ? ._.

jelaninoel said on December 29, 2012 at 1:35 p.m.

you know your game has failed us when we have to fix it...

rakuko said on December 29, 2012 at 1:36 p.m.

i'm really sad they released Zamus before Samus.

Creeper said on December 29, 2012 at 1:50 p.m.

@jelaninoel Melee-audience-centric balancing aside, a lot of the ideas they had for Project M are stuff I think should've been in Smash to begin with. Wario has a heavily Wario Land-inspired moveset, Donkey Kong's dash attack is his Donkey Kong Country roll which can go off ledges and be jumped out of (allowing for a fast approach to edgeguard, while retaining the otherwise limited mobility of such a heavy and strong character), etc. Nintendo needs to step it up.

Dreamking23 said on December 29, 2012 at 1:51 p.m.

@ #1

News isn't slow today man. Just trying to keep things interesting for you guys.

SpiceyChicken said on December 29, 2012 at 1:54 p.m.

@#2

Because players are the devs, right? Melee and Smash players in general can't seem to let things go. They have to tinker around and make mods on an already fun party game.

LordProsper said on December 29, 2012 at 1:55 p.m.

The moveset changes they've made to some of the characters are pretty amazing, IMO.

jelaninoel said on December 29, 2012 at 1:58 p.m.

@#6 Melee was a fun party game. a fun competitive game too so.....

etherHATESether said on December 29, 2012 at 2:02 p.m.

This mod is godlike. GTFO haters.

mrpowerhouse said on December 29, 2012 at 2:02 p.m.

Is this for the Wii or PC? I couldn't tell, sorry.

Dreamking23 said on December 29, 2012 at 2:06 p.m.

@ #10

It's a mod for the Wii. Sorry 'bout that. Added it into the story.

mrpowerhouse said on December 29, 2012 at 2:16 p.m.

No problem, thanks! :)

Jevali said on December 29, 2012 at 2:16 p.m.

I wish these guys would just say the differences in the mods for each character rather than just the general intro description. Assume we've played brawl

UncleBibby said on December 29, 2012 at 2:55 p.m.

The way that the brawl community puts together these giant projects and actually makes good progress on them sort of amazes me. It's the equivalent of the SRK forums teaming up to make a full-game mod of SSF4, which probably wouldn't ever happen. It really shows how dedicated some of these Smashers are.

BumblebeeCody said on December 29, 2012 at 3:11 p.m.

Damn I've been watching this for a while now. Probably will download it!

Rainierman said on December 29, 2012 at 3:15 p.m.

Woah, thanks Eventhubs for reminding me. I think it's very nice that you mention this. It is news worthy in my opinion.

But that aside, I think you should add somewhere that you don't need to modify your Wii at all to play this. Just an SD card and the original game. That way people won't shun it just for being a mod.

AndreyCout said on December 29, 2012 at 3:16 p.m.

Maybe that's because SSF4 doesn't need a giant patch to completely change the way the game works because it's fine as it is. Unlike Brawl.

But some people do mod the game's balance. See Error0001 mods, for example... he completely changed how a lot of the characters play. Just not for the better, it's more like a fun experiment.

Benify said on December 29, 2012 at 3:25 p.m.

Terios said on December 29, 2012 at 3:53 p.m.

Thanks for the article. It's really a blast to play. I hope Sonic is more fun in this release. I went to Falcon in the last one.

You can also add custom textures to your characters through your SD card. Used to be you needed a modded Wii until they figured how to boot Gecko OS through the stage builder.

Timic83 said on December 29, 2012 at 4:19 p.m.

you can get it on your PC with dolphin if your computer is good enough

okay said on December 29, 2012 at 4:23 p.m.

Project M is the only reason why I still turn on my Wii.

UncleBibby said on December 29, 2012 at 4:24 p.m.

@AndreyCout

Brawl doesn't need a patch. If it crashed when you turned it on then it would need a patch.

And when you compare one guy giving blanka balls to every character in SSF4 to a whole bunch of people teaming up to re-make Brawl from the ground up, it sort of shows how different the two game's communities are.

Don't get me wrong, I like SSF4 more than I like Brawl, but the Brawlers are more dedicated (sometimes to the extent of being slightly autistic).

BumblebeeCody said on December 29, 2012 at 4:30 p.m.

@UncleBibby #22
That's the way 'clouded' Capcom players are now. They all seem to throw out the word 'patch' without realising maybe they should get better at the game. I don't want to learn how to beat Sentinel so I'll ask for a patch. Smash Bros Brawl has no patch says you need to man the eff up if you want to be a certain character because the game is set in stone.

Eff metaknight though Kappa

lordrockman said on December 29, 2012 at 4:32 p.m.

I dont see the point in this "mod" i don think the ssb series are made for tournaments and modding it like this to please melee fans.... no

I for one will not get this and am against this if you want melee play melee if you want brawl play brawl

mrdrofficer said on December 29, 2012 at 5:02 p.m.

Ugh. This thread's haters are disgusting.

The future of gaming, whether it's esports or Ouya or next gen, is in less titles but with more backend support from developers. We don't need another fighting game like CapvCap, we just need them to yearly support the ones we have. But the entertainment climate is in flux, thus cool guys like these do what they can't expect developers to do. It's the same DIY attitude that started punk, bitpop and even esports ten years ago. This is great news whether you care about Smash or not because it is the community taking the power away from companies and giving power over your hobby to the players. I hope we see this in other fighters.

GeoKenshin said on December 29, 2012 at 5:05 p.m.

Stay free haters. Mad because Marvel's not getting updated?

This is an extremely solid overhaul of a good engine with bad mechanics. They fixed the input lag that was built into the game for christ sakes? Do i see any of you modding Marvel to nerf doom missiles or Morrigan? No. Let the people who enjoy this enjoy it and target your malcontent elsewhere.

DynaDASH said on December 29, 2012 at 5:12 p.m.

@#18
MetaKnight isn't nerfed, actually, he was given mods to suit a skilled player instead for n00blets who press B and fly beneath the stage to win by time-out.

Project M is for skilled players who want to have fun being capable of performing like a true fighting game, not a platform shooter.

KaboomKid said on December 29, 2012 at 5:20 p.m.

@24 ...And if you want to play Project M, play Project M!

That's where you were going with that comment, right? I really hope so.

Lavama said on December 29, 2012 at 5:46 p.m.

Aaaaaaaand my Blue Tooth reciever became jammed... So, er, how the hell do you get it out without opening the Wii?

Rainierman said on December 29, 2012 at 6:54 p.m.

Opening the Wii? :S Seriously I insist, the main post should be updated so it mentions you don't need to make any changes (permanent or not) to your Wii at all.

You just delete custom stages, insert the SD, and voila, the game will load it, and it will be gone once you turn it off.

Frankly, I love both Melee and Brawl, and I can't wait to try this. It looks fun.

lordrockman said on December 29, 2012 at 8:48 p.m.

@28 no i wasn't you missed the point completely!!!

urbanlime said on December 29, 2012 at 8:50 p.m.

Since this is a Smash topic, one thing I was surprised with when I first heard of the competitive Smash scene was the high technical skill required in Melee. Smash can hold its own as a fighting game, despite it not looking like a Capcom game or any of the other 2D/3D fighters out there.

kirbykirbykirby said on December 29, 2012 at 9:10 p.m.

If only there could be a way to fix the horrible online as well

BrightNoa said on December 30, 2012 at 12:09 a.m.

"No one can have any kind of fun ever. I am completely against fun. You are NOT allowed to have fun AT ALL"

Pretty much all I gathered from that.

Evilagram said on December 30, 2012 at 7:12 a.m.

I thought the point was that everyone plays the game (or mod) they like best and to support our friends who go to the extensive trouble of improving broken games like Brawl.

Y'know, like how everyone supported CPMA for Quake 3.

lordrockman said on December 30, 2012 at 8:02 a.m.

@35 who said brawl is a broken game? you are starting to treat it like a tourney game: limited!

Strider_Hien said on December 30, 2012 at 8:14 a.m.

Man,it would be awesome if they were people as passionate in the Marvel/SF community.

I think that can't be done with Capcom games,right? I'm assuming that is the console that permits all the "modding".

I do not own a Wii or any of the entries of the SSB series,but I loved this news bit.Developer ceased updates or patching? We can take matters into our hands....

xMalcolmx said on December 30, 2012 at 8:37 a.m.

Well since some of you guys don't know. The smash community treats this as a different game. They still play "normal" brawl as well as project m. Heck they still play melee at tournaments if there is enough demand.

SpinningBirdKick said on December 30, 2012 at 11:47 a.m.

Whoever took that screenshot of Squirtle should be President of the world.

Dravidian said on December 30, 2012 at 12:36 p.m.

Meh. I played project M before. I'm not a fan. It feels too much like melee (twitchy bricks). The only thing I really approved of was the removal of tripping. The speed increase was nice, though not necessary. I just didnt like the separation of characters at all (instead of complaining about Pokemon Trainer having to switch pokemon and fatigue, why not just make switching safer and remove fatigue instead of making three different characters and removing options -_-).

I thought some of the new moves were cool, though; most weren't.

But, hey, different strokes for different folks, right? I myself enjoyed Brawl+ much more than Project M. It kept the smoothness of Brawl, kept momentum, removed tripping, and made the game broken in a fun way. It is sooooooo much fun.

Ex_Ein said on December 30, 2012 at 12:56 p.m.

*look at the changes to the two characters I do play in brawl see they got barely jack I'm interested in or that is new* yeeeeeeeeah f**k this mod. it goes against its original creator's artistic vision and it doesn't do all to much new just make returning characters play more like they did in Melee and new characters play more like melee character.

Ihateweeaboos said on December 30, 2012 at 1:47 p.m.

This isn't a fighting game. You might as well post about Anarchy Reigns releasing for $30 or Fight Night Champion matchup predictions since those are far more fighting game related than this.

JiCi said on December 30, 2012 at 1:47 p.m.

Meh... Project M sounds more like fan rage than anything valable. It's like a bunch of salty Brawl-hating crybabies teamed up to make Brawl look more like Melee, including adding stuff that was removed from Melee in Brawl for good reasons.
- Recloned characters, like Ganondorf and Falco, when Brawl made them more unique. Yeah, like people liked clones back then...
- Re-inclusion of wavedash, which was the most broken mecanic in Melee.
- Removal of some interesting playing styles, like the PKMN Trainer.

Look, you wanna to know how to make Brawl better?
- Remove tripping
- Increase the gravity
- Make Water Gun and FLUDD better
- Make Final Smashes a gauge-using super move
- Make that 5 characters can edge-grab at once (3 typical characters and both Ice Climbers) to remove edge-guarding

Done, no need to go further...

niggardly said on December 30, 2012 at 1:59 p.m.

Ex_Ein said on December 30, 2012 at 3:08 p.m.

niggardly, your first statement is what I said when I heard of project M.
@JCI
they removed tripping first thing.

kirbykirbykirby said on December 30, 2012 at 6:15 p.m.

At least smash bros is dedicated to there Nintendo fans. Capcom should learn from that

Ex_Ein said on December 30, 2012 at 9:55 p.m.

@KKK/47 *looks at lack of recent DK, F Zero, NEW starfox, Snap 2 or Metriod game* WHAT!....

JiCi said on December 31, 2012 at 6:50 a.m.

That's good, but I didn't need all the other changes to the characters. Just make Water Gun and FLUDD better, that's all I'm asking.