Persona 4 Arena continues landslide victory with GameTrailers 2012 fighting game of the year award

Posted by Nate 'Nyoro' Young • December 20, 2012 at 7:43 p.m. PST
As the end of the world and the year draws to a close more websites have been issuing their best fighting game of the year awards. GameTrailers is the latest company to step up to the plate and in their video presentation have given Persona 4 Arena the best fighting game of 2012 award. You can watch their video breakdown below.

This is an unprecedented series of victories and near-universal consensus on the best fighting game of 2012. Destructoid, GamesRadar and Spike's Video Game Awards have all awarded Persona 4 Arena for this distinction.

Leave your thoughts as to this pattern of successes. As a reminder, Persona 4 Arena was highly praised upon release by a large number of outlets.

Comments

kupowns said on December 20, 2012 at 7:46 p.m.

A game that's not even out worldwide wins the fighting game of the year...

Hypermarth said on December 20, 2012 at 7:49 p.m.

Yo Arcsys get this game to Europe!

KingKong said on December 20, 2012 at 7:50 p.m.

Persona what? never heard of it. Europe is pretty far from the rest of the world

CrimzonWolf777 said on December 20, 2012 at 7:52 p.m.

LOL @ "end of the world"

spotlesseden said on December 20, 2012 at 7:58 p.m.

nobody plays fighting games have a job in Europe. No need to release the game over there. Spain has a 25-30% unemployment rate right?

HooliganComboFTW said on December 20, 2012 at 8:14 p.m.

Welp gonna bet Atlus is gonna have field day with another trailer out bragging about all its awards like with P4 Golden

TioClone said on December 20, 2012 at 8:16 p.m.

P4A is incredible, so glad I support it. Lethal Elevator Attendant all day!

Benify said on December 20, 2012 at 8:18 p.m.

Ginta36 said on December 20, 2012 at 8:26 p.m.

Im Sorry Harada san.

alphagen said on December 20, 2012 at 8:38 p.m.

It better be at EVO with all this hype. I think i mite start playing it again. I just hate losing to one button bullsh-t.

TheDeadTexan said on December 20, 2012 at 9:03 p.m.

Great game. No contest, really.

Villest1 said on December 20, 2012 at 9:16 p.m.

glad I decided to snatch up a copy of this game, cant wait to play it.

DandyCheeks said on December 20, 2012 at 9:22 p.m.

Every other fighting was either an add on or a game that's just like the old ones. P4A definitely deserved this.

yoshisixtyfour said on December 20, 2012 at 9:50 p.m.

<- this avatar should explain how happy i am this won.

chrishipop5 said on December 20, 2012 at 10:17 p.m.

I like Persona 4 Arena, but it was too accessible. I mean the 1-button mash made the play feel...cheated. I know there are combos, but why learn em when you can just mash A. Maybe it's me being (ign)orant. lol who knows.

Shiragaku said on December 20, 2012 at 10:22 p.m.

lol I felt the same way when I first started. Why learn combos as Chie when you can mash A? Why learn to block high low when you can mash DP?

However, you have to learn that you cannot rely on those nooby mechanics if you want to get better. You have to break the habit, and then the game becomes something completely new and amazing.

Rainierman said on December 20, 2012 at 10:25 p.m.

:( No funny thumbnail?

Echo01 said on December 20, 2012 at 10:27 p.m.

P4A, the game us Europeans will never get to play.

garbage said on December 20, 2012 at 10:53 p.m.

Public Service Announcement: Auto Combos in P4A are really bad. If you think they are good, you are a scrub. If you are losing to them, you are a scrub. What they do is give the actual scrub (an RPG gamer out of his comfort zone) something he can mash out so he can do some damage and not look like a total fool. For real fighting game players, they aren't something you should really ever think about and if you complain about them you're just broadcasting that you have no idea what you're talking about.

Additional Fun Fact: Kanji can actually punish many auto combos on block for free for about 60% by just mashing super during the string.

Boogityboy said on December 20, 2012 at 11:09 p.m.

Spacecacti said on December 20, 2012 at 11:38 p.m.

ONE BUTTON REVERSAL! IT'S REVOLUTIONARY!

SevenDaggers said on December 21, 2012 at 1:19 a.m.

Can we please get this game already?!?! F..K

spectaa said on December 21, 2012 at 2:30 a.m.

edrigo said on December 21, 2012 at 2:41 a.m.

the fracture is huge these days

BUYACUSHUN said on December 21, 2012 at 2:49 a.m.

I find it funny since i see a lot of complaints that the game is good but definitely needs some work. That right there seems like a reason not to win. But these things usually don't go by votes of the public

FearfulSymmetry said on December 21, 2012 at 3:44 a.m.

P4A is a lot of fun, but in hindsight I really don't see it as a better product than TTT2. Personally was much more satisfied with that purchase.

inb4 viral.

SuperStraightFighter said on December 21, 2012 at 3:50 a.m.

Being in Australia, we got the Europe curse as well, seriously release the god damn game already...

EnglishKidChin said on December 21, 2012 at 4:48 a.m.

Game gorgeous, and plays great..... Well deserved....

Do yourself a favor and watch the anime series before u play this game and prepare to fall in love with the characters.
In terms of the auto combo, I never use it... Jumped right into the trials and never looked back.
Great for the casual gamer.... To the pro they do minimal damage and leave u open.... Learn to adapt.
I <3 persona arena! Great Job Atlus. I pray "Mitsuru" goes down next EVO. Props to "Teddy" for almost taking it!

Hackstermatrix said on December 21, 2012 at 5:16 a.m.

SFXT could have won if Capcom devs were more than Chimpanzees and didn't release a game with so many problems, totally inexcusable release. Too late now.
P4 is not better than TTT2, but I think as a new game that is in fact good it needs the award much more than TTT does so we can have sequels.
At the very least Skull Girls (LMAO!) not winning is more than enough for me.

JiCi said on December 21, 2012 at 5:19 a.m.

Is anyone surprised? That game tops everything. It has great controls, fluid gameplay, balanced roster, is quite faithful to the source material, is actually a follow-up to P4 and is perfect for newcomers. The other fighting games are extremely discriminating for newcomers (it's like you need to play other figting games before these ones), have probably the worst communities of elitists and egotistical big shots and are usually popular only because they are long-running series, not because the game is fun. These games can be as broken as crap, but if they're long-running series, they get a pass; someone comes up with a new IP with a balanced roster and mecanics, everyone shunts it for the broken game. Case in point: Tatsunoko vs Capcom is far more balanced and entertaining than Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3... but guess what game got more popular...

Here's my opinion on why the other games didn't win:
- TTT2 is far too complex for newcomers
- SC5 is lacking key characters, like Talim and Zasalamael, and has a weak story
- Skullgirls desn't distinguish itself that much from other fighters; it lacks something unique to it
- UFC Undisputed 3 can't rival against traditional fighters

So yeah, P4A deserves to win. Guilty Gear and BlazBlue kept the 2D genre alive with good results, and passed it on to Persona 4.

Now, if we could only get a sequel...

godfist314 said on December 21, 2012 at 5:21 a.m.

I admit this game looks awesome and I know it has tons of features that other released FG's in 2012 didn't have but...I'm just not that interested in this game. I don't know what would make me interested, but I could be swayed I suppose. Anime style fighting games have never really held my interest other than perhaps Guilty Gear XX series (somewhat anyway).

BumblebeeCody said on December 21, 2012 at 5:25 a.m.

Maybe if it was RELEASED IN EUROPE, WE WOULD KNOW!

Tensa said on December 21, 2012 at 6:16 a.m.

P4a is better than ttt2 imo it has that easy to pickup but hard to master like sf4/umvc3 I can see the new bbcp following p4a hopefully arc and atlus can do something else with the p4a like a sequel lol

TaoTuna said on December 21, 2012 at 6:35 a.m.

19&30 pretty much say it all.

Whengameswerefun said on December 21, 2012 at 6:39 a.m.

I'm sorry for me it is TTT2 I just have a lot more fun with and I ended up selling my P4 in the long run.

OhYouDontSayThat said on December 21, 2012 at 6:53 a.m.

they have to award some other games awards to be fair, or else marvel would just win everything.

ButterKnife said on December 21, 2012 at 7:46 a.m.

Persona was okay, but Soul Calibur 5 is much better. I think Skullgirls and even DoA5 were better.

Persona got dull after 2 weeks. The characters aren't as gimmicky and diverse as Blazblue.

TaoTuna said on December 21, 2012 at 7:57 a.m.

You have to look at it from an objective standpoint. What is new about TTT2 honestly as opposed to P4(which is an entirely new fighting game)? the only other game that really had a chance was sfxt.

If there was "Random game of the year award" UMvC would take the cake...always. I think the only other games that would come close is "Paper/Rock/Scissors Turbo edition", or maybe "HeadsorTails Quarter Remix".

Zentsurugi said on December 21, 2012 at 8:04 a.m.

People need to buy and play this game! It truly is AMAZING!!!

darkneji said on December 21, 2012 at 9:29 a.m.

The flaw in that logic is that basically, any successful established franchise would have no chance of winning unless it Completely reinvented itself which, in doing would more than likely bring even more backlash on it for that sole reason.

Essentially that's like saying only new games/series have a chance.

TTT2 (tekken) has been evolving steadily over the course of it's series life. It is a far different game now than it was in T3 or even TTT1 for that matter. But the fact that all of those changes didn't happen at once excludes it from being "new" enough to win?

Even between T6 and it's current incarnation, a lot has changed. P4A is definitely a great game, but I would have liked Tekken for the title.

No disrespect intended if at times I came off a bit harsh.

StriderZero92 said on December 21, 2012 at 9:33 a.m.

the game's not bad imo. its a good game. but not best of the year =/ Blazblue still appeals to me way more than this game. imho, this game just appeals to people who arent 'real' fans of the fighting genre. especially to the Persona Fans. this game is too easy, & just has less depth than most of its competitors.its a casual's game basically. still cool. but its got that casual feel to it

Ravellino said on December 21, 2012 at 11:17 a.m.

Persona *__*

Tensa said on December 21, 2012 at 11:21 a.m.

@41 yesh I like BB more but bbex didn't feel new now I know bbcp is gonna really good with all the changes but gotta give it to p4a for now

Kairosbland said on December 21, 2012 at 1:33 p.m.

lol people who bitch about the DPs in game.

They're high risk, if they're baited, you're boned. You cannot one more cancel or one more burst them even on block hit, and the only way to make them "safe" is by burning 50 meter and using a super.

drillbit777 said on December 21, 2012 at 1:40 p.m.

Great, now if Atlus can get Persona 5 on the way then i'll be happy. I wonder if Persona 5 will pick up after Persona 4 Arena or start of fresh

IAMSKINJA said on December 21, 2012 at 2:42 p.m.

Persona 4 Arena confirmed for Europe in 2027

TheDeadTexan said on December 21, 2012 at 6:30 p.m.

You do know Marvel came out last year right?

P4A just won best FG from IGN as well.

xsgwesdfgwe said on December 22, 2012 at 3:06 a.m.