Posted by Steven 'Dreamking23' Chavez • December 6, 2012 at 3:51 p.m. PST
Updated: Recap of our first monthly EventHubs chat session - covers some important questions, future of the site and much more Update: If you happened to miss the chat session earlier today, our favorite IRC overloard Kuei has posted the entire log from the event. While the entire log is a giant wall of text, FatMus2 went through and recapped some of the more important questions that were asked.

On December 4, 2012, we here at EventHubs held a live chat session on our IRC channel at 12 Noon PST / 7 p.m. GMT. Catalyst, SFilp, TheUncharted and myself will all be in attendance.

This chat session was to field any questions you had for us, whether it was about the Fight Tracker, future of the site or any other subjects.

Since the turn out was pretty good, we will be conducting them once a month so long as we get participation from the EventHubs users. We have no set dates yet, but we will let you know once we have decided.

Question 1). ZombieBrian: When do the forums get a design update?

Catalyst: Currently we are working on the Fight Tracker, but we will work on adding an option to implement the new design layout and also keep the old one.

Question 2). OmegaZero: What Kind of updates will the Fight Tracker get?

Catalyst: The next thing to be launched is a stats page which shows the most popular games in the community. We're not sure when the Character data (ie the characters each player uses) will be launched but it's being worked on.
TheUncharted: Characters should be coming some time in the near future.

Question 3). Kewlname: Will there be a way for people to add their PP to the skills section in the Fight Tracker?

Catalyst: The main concern is that there isn't actually a way to make sure the data entered is accurate. We are considering looking into pulling data off of the XBL/PSN servers but that's a long way off right now.
SFilp: We thought with PP constantly changing it wouldn't be a good idea having users edit it all the time.

Question 4). Tokime: Will there be a way to differentiate active and inactive players in the Fight Tracker?

TheUncharted: That's coming in the near future. We will have a way to identify who is active and who is on 'standby'.

Question 5). SlapMyAssAndCallMeSally (yeah that was actually his name ): Can we have the option for different color schemes? I miss the old black and blue.

Catalyst: We have a lot of requests for this and this will be addressed in the future.

Question 6). Random Anonymous mib: Will there be a feedback system for the Fight Tracker? For example if I want to meet SFilp and it turns out he's a shady guy, it'd be nice to warn people.

Catalyst: Yes. We won't unveil plans for that just yet though.

Question 7). PandorasCrate: Will there be a search function to search for members by name?

Catalyst: We want to add something like that in the future. But for now you can use the site's existing search feature to search for users by name; type in their name and the profile should come up.
TheUncharted You can type in the url http://www.eventhubs.com/profile/ and then put in the profile name at the end. (for example http://www.eventhubs.com/profile/SFilp )

Question 8). PandorasCrate: Does EH have merchandise?

Catalyst: Merchandise is coming.

Question 9). USAtlas: What do you think Fighting Games will evolve into in the next 8 years?

DreamKing23: I feel the community is growing stronger, and if we can get to the level of competitive gaming to the likes of StarCraft we'll be around for a long time.

Question 10). USAtlas: How did EventHubs begin? Was it just you and then people started jumping on board?

Catalyst: At first it was just myself and a few family members. Nyoro came to the site a few years later, and then DreamKing23, SFilp and TheUncharted came a few years later.

Question 11). FatMus2: Where are you guys based?

Catalyst: Most of us are in California while Nyoro is on the East Coast.

Question 12). FatMus2: What game do you guys main and who are your characters?

DreamKing23: SSF4AEv2012 and I'm EventHubs' best Dudley player!
SFilp: UMVC3 and I play Spencer/Frank/Vergil.
Question 13). ZombieBrian: Can the timing for these chat sessions be varied for convenience?

Catalyst: Yes.

Question 14). _SilentBob_: Empire Strikes Back or Return of the Jedi?

Catalyst: Empire all the way.
DreamKing23: It's been a long time since I've seen them but I gotta go with Empire.

Ideas that may be considered for the site
Analogos: How about in the Fight Tracker players can put their preferred playstyle? (For example rushdown, zoning etc.)

FatMus2: A new section on the Main Page that deals with content not directly related to the games. For example the main news page could deal with content such as match videos, combo videos, tournament streams, interviews, trailers, release information, guides etc. while the new section would deal with Fan Art, parody/comedy videos etc.

DreamKing23: A monthly EH lobby that will be streamed, where the games are changed up each month.

Shoutouts to Zombiebrian for the idea, Kuei for the logs and FatMus2 for the recap.

Comments

RA_MO said on December 2, 2012 at 8:10 p.m.

But the time I spend with my fellow FGC members is what I live for <3.

I wish you luck on that day and I hope there will be more things like this to come

zUkUu said on December 2, 2012 at 8:44 p.m.

I almost feel that they are unneeded as you all do a great job reading suggestion mails, and answer questions in the comments already. still a greater input from different sources at the same time might be rewarding.

Vandylizer said on December 2, 2012 at 9:04 p.m.

As long as you guys make sure to announce these chat sessions each month, I'm sure you will have a great turn out each time.
This is another excellent idea from the Eventhubs staff. Good stuff!

Ermapume said on December 2, 2012 at 9:36 p.m.

I might just tune in to this.

Villest1 said on December 2, 2012 at 9:54 p.m.

Great idea.

analogos said on December 2, 2012 at 10:27 p.m.

cool idea. at least until the kappa army arrives.

KissofPoison said on December 2, 2012 at 10:35 p.m.

As nice an idea as this is, I find it oddly timed and a little contradictory of you wanting to better this site.

You are basically having this mid-day while some may be in school, where others like myself will be at work. Given only a half hour I would find that this may not be as productive as it could if scheduled at a time more people could attend.

PandorasCrate said on December 2, 2012 at 11:46 p.m.

Oh man... our IRC home is going to be invaded. lol. Well, it'd be nice to have some more people in there from time to time. New faces n'such.

zombiebrian said on December 3, 2012 at 12:12 a.m.

I dont know who came up with this idea but that guy is the best guy ever i should buy him a pint of three

zhanba40 said on December 3, 2012 at 4:32 a.m.

korosuuu said on December 3, 2012 at 5:14 a.m.

For u it was the chat session that changed ur life...
but for me it was tuesday.

CoNr said on December 3, 2012 at 5:24 a.m.

In the future any chance having one of these at a time that caters for the UK & European residents?

FatMus2 said on December 3, 2012 at 6:16 a.m.

@9 You sly dog you.

I'm gonna have to spend some overtime freeloading the Uni's internets for this :D

jessicahutchins said on December 3, 2012 at 8:33 a.m.

Undead_Hayabusa said on December 3, 2012 at 8:46 a.m.

Can anyone tell me what this is in EST?

rakuko said on December 3, 2012 at 9:07 a.m.

@15: EST is PST +3 hours, so 3 PM.

this sounds cool, too bad i'll be in class :(

Wolfz said on December 3, 2012 at 9:55 a.m.

I won't be able to take part, but please, someone remember them to keep the post about the major that is happening as the first one on the site. It would be SO helpful.

KissofPoison said on December 3, 2012 at 10:10 a.m.

Being unavailable is a recurring theme.

Catalyst said on December 3, 2012 at 12:18 p.m.

@Zombiebrian

Sorry about that, we should have credited you in the story for the idea. That's been fixed.

BUYACUSHUN said on December 3, 2012 at 1:58 p.m.

I reach home around that same time maybe i'll be able to check in on this discussion thing.

KissofPoison said on December 3, 2012 at 11:50 p.m.

I would have thought a subject as important as this they would address our concerns over timing a little more promptly and effectively. However it seems as though it shall be passed over.

zombiebrian said on December 4, 2012 at 1:41 a.m.

Kissofpoison This is the first of a monthly series of chats id assume then next time it will be a different day and another time. You gotta remember that although this site is mainly US orientated its not entirely, and cat and co all have there own lives to run this around.

I can see by your message your annoyed but next time i guaruntee someone else will be left disappointed by the timing. Cant please everyone

iwowoisdjio said on December 4, 2012 at 3:42 a.m.

KissofPoison said on December 4, 2012 at 5:35 a.m.

I'm not annoyed but why have it at a non-optimal time. They are already limiting themselves on the kind of input and ideas they can acquire by scheduling it at such a bizarre time where few can be present.

Especially with this being the first, and most importantly to be used to gauge interest of future production of such an event, you would think one would want it to be at a time when the maximum number of people could be present. How can they gauge interest effectively, if it's not at an effictive time to do so.

FatMus2 said on December 4, 2012 at 8:14 a.m.

I actually don't think it's such a bizarre time if most, if not all, of the admins are going to be present at the same time. As ZombieBrian says they have their own lives to schedule this around, and you also can't please everyone. If this was done at a later time for US people then other members may not be able to make it. Also don't forget it may be a monthly event so you can always come back next month if they decide to schedule at another time.
Also you can contact Cat or the admins anytime you want through the new messaging system. It's not as if if you don't show up you'll never get to provide your input. Them being in the chat is just for them to have a more personal touch with the EH community.

KissofPoison said on December 4, 2012 at 9:33 a.m.

mid-day on a tuesday isn't bizarre? lol I don't know what kind of norm that is for others but thats crazy.

And you can't anticipate another FatMus, as this one is the decider for future ones.

Besides ideas are always more effective when able to be portrayed in a more conversational nature less broken up.

However I'm just stating my own opinion.

FatMus2 said on December 4, 2012 at 10:29 a.m.

I just realised the timing up there is wrong lol. There's an 8 hour difference between PST and GMT so it's going to happen at 20:00 in the UK.

And KissofPoison Tuesday midday is a little bizarre, but they're only going to be there for 30 minutes anyway so what kind of proper conversation are you going to get, what with there potentially being many other people who want to chat to them? I'm sure people can pop in during that time from mobile phones or tablets or computers or something. And I'm only being optimistic there'll be another because I don't see why they couldn't do it monthly. Also because it was mostly my own suggestion that zombiebrian built his idea around so yeah I wanna see this thing succeed :P

KissofPoison said on December 4, 2012 at 11:05 a.m.

I would just expect a more respectful approach of response. And yes this is a bizarre time. Thank you for agreeing, and it may not be that I couldn't pop in.... but I'm at work I don't have time to. Same for those who may be in class or whatever.

I just believe without criticism we can't grow. Besides how would they know this isn't an optimal time for something like this, if we don't voice such opinion.

Catalyst said on December 4, 2012 at 11:12 a.m.

@KissofPoison

This was the time that worked for the entire staff, we'll see about shifting it to a different day/time, but I'm not sure how easy that will be.

As the mods suggested, you can PM me or the entire rest of the team if you can't attend with any suggestions/questions you have.

Catalyst said on December 4, 2012 at 12:52 p.m.

Thanks everyone for showing up today. We're still discussing the questions/things we saw in chat today.

We'll try and schedule next month's chat session on a different day/time so different people can attend the next one.

zUkUu said on December 4, 2012 at 4:20 p.m.

can you post a recap? I'm not very fond of the idea to study that wall of text, just a quick outline what the EH-staff has gathered and think will be useful information for the future.

Also, do it on a weekend - that way everyone around the world has the chance to partake, even if it's in the night time for some. if you're mainly concerned about US / Europe then saturday 13-4 pm (us time) would appropriate for both (19-24 over here).

gtfopanda said on December 4, 2012 at 5:27 p.m.

I second zUkUU's request, a sort of recap would be great for those who couldn't join.

Astro_Notch said on December 4, 2012 at 6:05 p.m.

I third that request, but I feel like you guys are gonna tell us to stop being lazy and just read that wall of text.

karengossage6 said on December 4, 2012 at 8:20 p.m.

meioopsdfjwoei said on December 5, 2012 at 3:44 a.m.

FatMus2 said on December 5, 2012 at 5:48 a.m.

I've picked out the individual Questions and Answers for those who don't want to read through that massive wall. The main post is edited with the new list now if anyone still wants to check it out

zUkUu said on December 5, 2012 at 7:10 a.m.

@37 splendid!

gracielamiramontes30 said on December 5, 2012 at 9:34 a.m.

PandorasCrate said on December 6, 2012 at 4:20 a.m.

You go FatMus2! I'd read it just because you did it, but then I remembered I was in the IRC and got to experience it first hand xD

thegoldencat said on December 6, 2012 at 4:06 p.m.

Hell yeah dark site!

JesseRobles said on December 6, 2012 at 6:39 p.m.

Adding characters to the mix of these updates will put me in heat for months. Do it.

rebeccaadams15 said on December 6, 2012 at 8:21 p.m.

mrpowerhouse said on December 6, 2012 at 8:35 p.m.

Here's a question: Why don't you guys cover news of the top players' activities outside of the popular countries? I've sent tons of news tips of the FGTV guys' visit here in the Philippines months ago, including an epic USA vs. PH match, but sadly none of them got posted.

danny2times said on December 6, 2012 at 10:49 p.m.

I can't say enough good about the crew behind the best fg related site. You guys do such a great job with this site. Very laid back environment constant improvements that cater to each level of user interest. There's no " well we're better than the other guys" attitude like Some otheR are Known for lol. You all just bring an attitude that's welcoming and allow all of us to flame like psychos (with SOME rules of course) without the ban hammer flying.

What can be said really? Literally the ONLY site this guy loiters around!

cris25 said on December 7, 2012 at 3:20 a.m.

@Catalyst
please add Battle Royale in the News Filter

@SFilp
about pp in the user profile, it could be a PP Range, not an exact number. Something like 2000-3000PP.

uiweiosdfoi said on December 8, 2012 at 4:11 a.m.