Tips for performing Street Fighter 4 series moves on a keyboard

Posted by Jonathan 'Catalyst' Grey • April 9, 2012 at 8:23 a.m. PDT
Error1 has a new video up for the keyboard (or possibly Hitbox) warriors out there who have struggled with various special moves in the Street Fighter 4 series. He breaks down some of the "gotcha!" moments you can come across while performing these specials and what you can do to get your inputs recognized.

Tip from Rafael2487.

Comments

Oroku_Saki said on April 9, 2012 at 8:30 a.m.

After my friends played BlazBlue insanely on the PC I don't think they found SF4 difficult anymore. I never had that issue that bad as I was originally more PC focused.
I think I should buy a hitbox or make one with exactly how I want the buttons to be placed.

Kawalorn said on April 9, 2012 at 8:46 a.m.

I don't need tips. :P I can do every move on my keyboard and even extended combos in BlazBlue and such... I'm actually VERY bad at playing fighting games on pads (tried in MvC2) and never tried an Arcade Stick.

NiteRider said on April 9, 2012 at 8:52 a.m.

Hitbox its a great opcion if you used to play with a keyboard

suprez said on April 9, 2012 at 8:59 a.m.

The only very difficult thing to do on keyboard it's 720. Outside of it I am myself better with keyboard than with pad. Like ahy controller it's require practice.

E_v_e_n_t__S_c_r_u_b_8P said on April 9, 2012 at 9:40 a.m.

Do players actually use keyboards in tournament play?

azik21 said on April 9, 2012 at 9:48 a.m.

Should i make a tip video for buying a TE stick instead of playing a keyboard??

Aqua said on April 9, 2012 at 9:51 a.m.

i do! i placed at least top4 in all tournaments i went to (even even won 2 of them). it was funny how two times i was in the grand final with another keyboard warrior.

BUUUUT it's kind of irelevant, since i'm representing a very very small scene in a random European country, basically nowhere in terms of fighting games.

i play on this thing btw: http://basgrospoing.fr/images/sticks/... (modded Hori Real Arcade Pro 3)

Villest1 said on April 9, 2012 at 12:09 p.m.

Interesting stuff.. I couldnt imagine playing on a keyboard. I was pretty close to buying a hitbox but decided I didnt really wont to go through the whole learning process again. Im fine with a good old arcade stick.

bullitt23 said on April 9, 2012 at 7:40 p.m.

@6 no only if you either really want a stick or certian techniques are impossible or close to impossible, if it works dont fix it and dont buy into the notion that you need a stick unlesss you personally want to

i208khonsu said on April 9, 2012 at 8:08 p.m.

Having played and competed on a keyboard in A2, SFIV, MK, SFxT, etc... for the past 6 years I have to make a few corrections, sorry :(

Left, Down, Right, and Up should be assigned to S, D, F, and Spacebar respectively.

Also not all keyboards are mushy like Error1 says. Most performance keyboards focus on lighting fast response on the button down event, but don't give much consideration to the button up response. This is why the input sticks for a moment as the video describes. The HHKB Light 2 is cheap and is the fastest keyboard I've ever used. Just as fast as an arcade stick or hitbox. It's even faster than the HHKB Pro so don't waste the money like me x_x

Finally all keyboards ghost, even performance keyboards. The only difference regarding performance gaming keyboards is they make sure WASD does not ghost with any other button. this may or may not be optimal considering whatever your button layout may be.

JIHADJOE said on April 10, 2012 at 4:20 a.m.

If you're going to be playing with a keyboard, it's very important to understand how the keyboard works if you want to avoid dealing with problems like ghosting and delayed key releases (a by-product of ghosting).

This site explains neatly how a keyboard works:

Anyways the basics of it is you want diodes on your keys to avoid ghosted inputs. Most gaming keyboards will have these, but normally only for specific "gaming" keys, which would be WASD, spacebar and maybe your arrow keys and 1,2,3,4,5.

As much as possible you want to map your buttons to those keys to avoid sticky inputs. The problem is using WASD for arrows means your punches and kicks get mapped to diode-less keys.

Because of this, I've tended to prefer using the arrow keys (and maybe spacebar) for directional inputs, and then QWE/ASD for my buttons. It's counter-intuitive if you're used to a stick/joypad layout, but it maximizes the use of your gaming keys. In my case, I started gaming on PC way before I had my first console, so I've always been used to using the arrow keys with my right hand.

If having arrows on your right hand is too much of a hurdle, try finding a keyboard that has a gaming numpad. You can use WASD for directions and then the numpad for buttons.