Skullgirls demo in the works, has two playable characters and other features - trailer for Double

Posted by Jonathan 'Catalyst' Grey • April 6, 2012 at 9:59 a.m. PDT
The PlayStation Blog ran down some new information for the upcoming release of Skullgirls (April 10-11, 2012), and they uploaded this trailer for Double.

They also noted that the demo version of the game will offer these features:

• Two Characters, Filia and Cerebella.
• An abbreviated Arcade Mode, with three AI battles.
• Local versus play, limited to duo teams.
• Four tutorials.
• Practice Room

Tip from JesseRobles and an anonymous reader.

Comments

Frost said on April 6, 2012 at 10:02 a.m.

Interesting. I'm not sure about buying it yet but this might help me decide.

zUkUu said on April 6, 2012 at 10:07 a.m.

yeah, 1/4 of the game fully playable x) jk jk^^
actually gonna try it out, I'm very sceptical about this game, mainly due to the awkward character theme.

SnakeX said on April 6, 2012 at 10:15 a.m.

This is a smart move, gives more people a chance to try it out before they commit to buying it.

NyuBomber said on April 6, 2012 at 10:17 a.m.

First day buy for me.

And now after seeing what I assume to be Double's level 3 with the PEW PEW PEW super, she's officially too sick.

Might have to expand TEAM PAINCOCK to TEAM DOUBLEPAINCOCK

AnaboliChris said on April 6, 2012 at 10:20 a.m.

First day buy!

poopygamespoop said on April 6, 2012 at 10:22 a.m.

FlynnChop said on April 6, 2012 at 10:30 a.m.

Seriously. Catalyst, anything you can do here?

FlynnChop said on April 6, 2012 at 10:32 a.m.

If enough people support this game, we might get some more content down the road.

Day one buy for me- Hope this game works out.

Chauvinist948 said on April 6, 2012 at 10:33 a.m.

@5 its a lvl 5 super :)

Kawalorn said on April 6, 2012 at 10:34 a.m.

#5 The "Pew Pew Pew" as you called it is actually lvl 5 and it might me a little ghard to get that much meter. ;) Still one of the most origial supers ever. :P

poopygamespoop said on April 6, 2012 at 10:38 a.m.

JesseRobles said on April 6, 2012 at 10:43 a.m.

Thanks for taking the news!
Day one buy for me too. I'm extremely excited and I wish the best for this project and hope that it keeps growing! :D

gtfopanda said on April 6, 2012 at 10:45 a.m.

Having demos out is always great, good stuff.

FlynnChop said on April 6, 2012 at 10:48 a.m.

Seriously.

ArykheartX said on April 6, 2012 at 10:55 a.m.

.... i assume they are talking about the ps3 is getting a demo because if 360 isnt getting a trial like most arcade games do there is something fishy

trufenix said on April 6, 2012 at 11 a.m.

Can't release an XBL game without a demo. Part of the rules. Still, yay for Skullgirls. Go Reverge!

Nader886 said on April 6, 2012 at 11 a.m.

first day buy for me also. got my ms points waiting right now.

icejohn said on April 6, 2012 at 11:01 a.m.

seriously only 15$ plus a demo if your not sure? people have spended over 100$ on games like SF4,MvC3,SFxT,and BB.why would anybody not at least give it a shot?

sarif2soon said on April 6, 2012 at 11:08 a.m.

DOUBLE IS TOP TIER!!1!one1!11!
reminds me of seth and shang tsung :P

xanderglz said on April 6, 2012 at 11:11 a.m.

WellRoundedFighter said on April 6, 2012 at 11:15 a.m.

From what I played... It's a very solid fighting game. Definitely makes you think about what you're doing as far as attacking opponent safely. You will get punished very easily on moves, if blocked.

Cammystrike said on April 6, 2012 at 11:31 a.m.

What's there to be unsure about? It's 15 freaking dollars! That's nothing, you won't miss it. Even if it's not your cup of tea, you're still helping out guys that made this game for the community, and not strictly what's in your wallet.

FlynnChop said on April 6, 2012 at 11:53 a.m.

I think if you had a grasp on poopy's post-history throughout various topics, you might have a better understanding of why I'd go there so quickly.

For my part, I do try and respect people's opinions even if they're against mine.

But yeah, if half what I hear about this game from FGC big-namers is true, this game is going to be epic. My only complaint is that with the limited roster, 3v3 seems... meh. Lots of partial mirrors.

Pretty impressive that it's in there, I guess, but it doesn't seem entirely necessary.

holycrapsfxtisbad said on April 6, 2012 at 12:12 p.m.

holycrapsfxtisbad said on April 6, 2012 at 12:13 p.m.

duckmouth said on April 6, 2012 at 12:38 p.m.

Some real geniuses in the comment section today...

I love the art style, yet to be convinced by the gameplay. A demo is very welcome!

JesseRobles said on April 6, 2012 at 12:38 p.m.

You can have 1 vs 2, 1 vs 3, 2 vs 2, 2 vs 3, 3 vs 3, etc.
So, I really have no problem with that. I think it somehow adds even more replay value.

Geniuzz said on April 6, 2012 at 12:43 p.m.

Day 1 purchase. Period.

xanderglz said on April 6, 2012 at 12:46 p.m.

bullitt23 said on April 6, 2012 at 1:20 p.m.

TBH i was Never was too hyped or interested in Skullgirls, if the demo is good enough, it might be worth my purchase.

Good move by them to get fence sitter like me into trying the game and possibly buying it

Dan_CiTi said on April 6, 2012 at 1:30 p.m.

This game looks fun, I love how Double is a mix of Venom or Pyron in her liquid-y animation, but gameplay wise she is like Seth, Shang Tsung/Shao Kahn with how she has the moves/becomes other characters essentially. Though I have heard that her copied moves/techniques are not absolutely identical frame & hitbox wise at least.

HyperCombinationFinish said on April 6, 2012 at 1:57 p.m.

I don't get the hype for this game.

Phynx said on April 6, 2012 at 1:58 p.m.

These guys are doing everything they can to make a great game. I really hope they're sucessful.

FlynnChop said on April 6, 2012 at 2:41 p.m.

The fact that it's just the 2 guys is impressive as hell.

fdhfdhf said on April 6, 2012 at 4:19 p.m.

Ex_Ein said on April 6, 2012 at 6:47 p.m.

And still not hyped...small character selection kills all hype I have for this game especially as beside ms. fortune I have no actual desire to play this, I would play Double if she didn't do moves of some alternate versions of preexisting characters with a few "new"(read:deleted) moves

BUYACUSHUN said on April 6, 2012 at 7:17 p.m.

LETS GOOO CEREBELLA. PLEASE FGC GOD DONT LET THIS GAME DISAPPOINT

Ermapume said on April 6, 2012 at 7:49 p.m.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to love this game but I absolutely agree that the with the small roster the team-based function of this game will be repetitive. If you have a 3v3 match with no identical characters then that's 66% of the roster right there. I'm just hoping the additional characters will come sooner than anticipated so an otherwise bang-up game doesn't get shafted.

HooliganComboFTW said on April 6, 2012 at 9:13 p.m.

The small roster to me on initial release won't be a problem lol as long as everything else looks polished. the early tekken and street fighter games had a similar roster size and the fact that they have many empty slots indicate that this game will look complete when all the dlc characters are out of the way. a demo with decent amount of gameplay with the full game at only $15 is such a good deal. honestly not trying this game just makes you a hater since they have a FREE demo yes i know a word we rarely hear in fgc

Ex_Ein said on April 6, 2012 at 10:02 p.m.

Hooligan combo, difference is street fighter was one of the first of it's kind in all of it's aspect, Tekken was the same thing. Modern Fighters usually don't have that small of cast. Also...for 15 dollars you can get games with a lot more content on PSN and XBLA including 3S: Online Edition.