Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition tiers from Arcadia

Posted by Jonathan 'Catalyst' Grey • May 31, 2011 at 11:08 a.m. PDT
Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition tiers from Arcadia Arcadia Magazine has posted new tier rankings for Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition. These are May 2011 listings, and include Evil Ryu and Oni, the most recently unlocked fighters.

If you're not familiar with Arcadia Magazine, they're the people who host the Super Battle Opera (Tougeki) tournament every year in Japan, and they've also made a number of guides over the years for Capcom fighters published by their parent company Enterbrain.

Tiers are constantly debated and changing as new knowledge is discovered and approaches to match ups evolve, so as always, read over the list with this in mind. If you have feedback, please feel free to leave a comment below.

S
Yun, Yang, Fei Long
A
Zangief, C. Viper, Sagat, Akuma, Cammy, Makoto
B
Ken, Chun-Li, Balrog (Boxer), M. Bison (Dictator), Adon, Sakura
C
Abel, Dee Jay, Ibuki, E. Honda, Seth, Cody, Guy, Vega (Claw), Rufus, Ryu, Blanka, Dudley, Dhalsim, Juri, El Fuerte, Guile, Gen, Gouken, Rose, Oni, Evil Ryu
D
Hakan, T. Hawk, Dan

From Alebielsa24 and 等級6 天 via Twfighter.

Comments

Jarkyttaa said on May 31, 2011 at 11:10 a.m.

I'll be really interested in seeing how Zangief fairs as time goes on. I suppose people in Japan have figured out how to optimize his game without the mix-up pressure he had in Super, but it seemed like a pretty big nerf to me at the time.

TrollHawk said on May 31, 2011 at 11:11 a.m.

Capcom goes from one of the most balanced fighters of all time to an s-tier s*** show.

I'm going to play BlazBlue where stuff makes sense.

JDM98Ferio said on May 31, 2011 at 11:14 a.m.

The tiers will change once its out in the masses. No big deal here...

Shinebox said on May 31, 2011 at 11:16 a.m.

The list seems very rushed. Oni and Evil Ryu right next to each other? Unlikely.

Wardog said on May 31, 2011 at 11:17 a.m.

Guy&Cody are C.. I can live with it. i can't wait to test out Guy buffs.

mfinnegan73 said on May 31, 2011 at 11:21 a.m.

I feel they need to have more grades because half the cast is C rank and it seems like characters that got a bunch of buffs like Deejay are the same, and T hawk went lower and all of of his moves got buffs

Thirtyfour said on May 31, 2011 at 11:21 a.m.

Just watch dudley go to top of the C rank when I release my AE tutorial

Oh my GOD.

geni said on May 31, 2011 at 11:22 a.m.

Sigh rose is Ass now

Kurow said on May 31, 2011 at 11:23 a.m.

Evil Ryu is trash but Akuma is A??? can someone explain?

Evil Ryu is basically Akuma with better Ultras and no air hadoken and less dive kick options..

Probably Evil Ryu health is worst than Akuma's...

BisonBetterBeGoodInSSF4 said on May 31, 2011 at 11:25 a.m.

Ryu with Gen??? yea ok there. his damage output may have been nerfed but hes still got the tools to be way more effective then Gen. plus he got his to U1 back. im no pro so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but i think this list is a bit rushed.

kshein said on May 31, 2011 at 11:26 a.m.

this is just off what people having been playing at the Arcade when the actually DLC gets released the list will change it always does so calm down

BlackBlazeQ said on May 31, 2011 at 11:26 a.m.

People have NOT had time to figure out Evil ryu and oni akuma so I would take thier ranking with a grain of salt. Heck since AE machines dont have a training mode I would take all the ranking with a grain of salt till the game has been on consoles for a long time....... Cant wait for AE

SmokeRulz said on May 31, 2011 at 11:27 a.m.

Hooray for Makoto!

@#9
Actually they have the same health and stun. There's likely other differences in their attacks that aren't totally known yet.

In the end, give it a couple months post-DLC and this list will change.

BisonBetterBeGoodInSSF4 said on May 31, 2011 at 11:27 a.m.

Akuma has a vortex were ER doesnt. what makes Tokido so effective is Akumas non stop pressure once an untech-knockdown is applied. ER can do combos like Akuma but his playstyle is a little off from Akumas. plus not to mention his teleport is a pile of balls.

ibLeo said on May 31, 2011 at 11:27 a.m.

@2:

We'll miss you.

@4:Yeah, it seems quite rushed. On top of Evil Ryu and Oni being put in a quite obvious "I don't know how they work" position (bottom of C-Tier but not so low as obvious whipping boys like Hakan, Hawk and Dan), the C-Tier in general is quite crowded, as if the maker of the list only bothered putting effort into deciding who went into A- and B-Tier. S-Tier is bandwagon stuff and E-Tier can't possibly have been investigated enough.

THE_GODDAMN_MASTER said on May 31, 2011 at 11:30 a.m.

So apparently, Cammy is in the same tier as Akuma and Makoto, and ABOVE KEN.
I think that speaks for itself.

kingofthesharks said on May 31, 2011 at 11:31 a.m.

watch a this get a bazillion comments

anyways, imma still play ibuki. and my viper won't be A tier until I implant bionic fingers into my hands. I'm glad offensive characters rule the day a little more this time around.

WinstonChurchill said on May 31, 2011 at 11:33 a.m.

lol @ #9

kdavis851 said on May 31, 2011 at 11:40 a.m.

^^Cosign

Grimmjow316 said on May 31, 2011 at 11:41 a.m.

List is quite rushed also I have a hard time believing that Ken & Bison are Bs while Cammy is A... Also funny how some of the buffs some characters got still didn't move them up.

goukibuki said on May 31, 2011 at 11:43 a.m.

^ Well its a tier list. No one was buffed in a bubble. Others were buffed too. So if T Hawk is below Guy and they both get buffed, T Hawk will still be below Guy.

Somone has to be at the bottom.

ChunLi said on May 31, 2011 at 11:46 a.m.

I didn't really keep up with the changes for Fei, but can someone explain why he's so much "stronger" in AE that he's on top?

Trini_Judoka said on May 31, 2011 at 11:48 a.m.

@#1 and @ article.
Gief in A tier is just so dam laughable. Because he does well vs the twins doesn't mean he belongs there.

WinstonChurchill said on May 31, 2011 at 11:49 a.m.

7 days bitches!!

Von_Kunlun_BOOF said on May 31, 2011 at 11:52 a.m.

Dgaf about Oni being low.

He's still sick as f*ck and I'm still using him.

gtfopanda said on May 31, 2011 at 11:55 a.m.

Rufus and Sim C tier, sure.

Tomiwa11 said on May 31, 2011 at 11:55 a.m.

seriously i dont understand why sakura is suddenly seen as a higher tier - her changes in ae seem useful, but largely unrevolutionary to me (i mean stuff like double hits on air hurricane kick is nice, but not game breaking)
as sum1 whos mained sak since vanilla, i feel like sak has always been beast but people are only just realising in ae when shes got her buffs

Ex_Ein said on May 31, 2011 at 11:58 a.m.

Yeah it's clear alot of people aren't trying to figure out something new with Oni and Evil Ryu's new attacks.

It's funny to see Gen slowly creeping his way up the teirs

Ex_Ein said on May 31, 2011 at noon

Tomiwa11
The thing is in high level tournament play the buffs while not game breaking they give her tools that are useful for high stun combos

Brillz said on May 31, 2011 at 12:04 p.m.

Sakura: she was a good character both in super and vanilla, but she had alot of bad matchups, and alot of those characters were top 10 and frequantly used in tournaments. Now that those characters are less used and nerfed, and sakura got buffs she is more viable in tournaments. Also, a lot of the Japanese never had access to her cause they played vanilla arcade.

Oni/evil ryu: C tier is not bad, look how much of the cast that is there. Expecting them to place higher than characters like rufus, sim, abel, honda +++ is expecting to much. Neither oni og evil ryu has anything revouloutonary they bring, they are just average characters.

Short version, C tier is good/avaerage, anything below/above is unbalanced.

yunandyang said on May 31, 2011 at 12:05 p.m.

yang is $-tier, but ken is only B tier...ken is low A tier

SakuraOwns said on May 31, 2011 at 12:07 p.m.

@27 giving her a fireball that she can actually use is a pretty significant buff. Plus she is probably rated too low on this list.

TheShotokan said on May 31, 2011 at 12:09 p.m.

RedPantyAddict said on May 31, 2011 at 12:10 p.m.

People have to see that B and C are very close to each other. Also A and B are close too!
It goes kinda like
S
- (maybe even closer like 1 1/2 "-")
A
- (maybe even closer like a half "-")
B
C
D

You know what I mean?
C and Bs can compete with no probs against each other also can A and C's. But it's tough as a C character.
Also A character have a good shot against the S characters but it's also tough.

I feel like this when I read this list.
Disagree or agree with me. I wanna hear feedback anyway :D

Vulcan said on May 31, 2011 at 12:10 p.m.

Watching tournaments are going to be just like vanilla SF4 days. But instead of all Sagat, it will just be Yun and Yang.

I can't wait.

JustIceRei said on May 31, 2011 at 12:11 p.m.

I gonna hate having to do even more work as Claw to win like I do, I think the only buff I got was a better crouching MK frame-wise and chaining an EX Crystal Flash with a crouching MP but seriously, I don't use Crystal Flashes. Sigh...

CStrike said on May 31, 2011 at 12:23 p.m.

I have not had access to AE could someone explain the major differences in what makes Yun better than Yang? Iirc Yang's divekick can cross up? Also did losing the command ultra nerf bison or did his normals take a hit as well?

darko_p86 said on May 31, 2011 at 12:24 p.m.

what, hakan and dan still on the bottom? figures! and there i thought that ono and his side-kick battle director would have learned from the interview in which daigo, mago, and another top player all admitted that Hakan was the worst.

and why cant they give something to Dan that makes a lot more people use him?

SAMURAI said on May 31, 2011 at 12:24 p.m.

I don't play Ryu but it hurts to see the face of Street Fighter so low in the tier list. It's ridiculous. Ryu deserves to be somewhere on top of the list.

SAMURAI said on May 31, 2011 at 12:26 p.m.

And Dan is still on the bottom after all these years. Give him atleast a decent fireball.

goukibuki said on May 31, 2011 at 12:28 p.m.

@ SAMURAI

He ended up around the same spot at the end of the SF3 series. it really isnt new ground for him.

And don't feel bad for him. Atleast he got to taste the top for more than 2 years.

Kirbyfan66 said on May 31, 2011 at 12:34 p.m.

Dan is much better than bottom; he's easily mid. Shame nobody uses him, this giving him the bottom spot.

Kirbyfan66 said on May 31, 2011 at 12:34 p.m.

Mid being anywhere in the C tier, dope

ibLeo said on May 31, 2011 at 12:36 p.m.

Ryu is so low in the tier list because nobody ever has trouble finding a Ryu to practice beating.

BisonBetterBeGoodInSSF4 said on May 31, 2011 at 12:37 p.m.

he was A teir in Second Impact with his ridiculous double Denjin. how could he go from decent (Alpha) to crazy (SF2) to the best (SF4) down to poop (SSF4 AE) to crazy again (SF3 2nd Impact) to absolute horrible (3rd Strike) lol. seeing as how he is the face of SF youd think he would be the best char, but to each his own i guess.

Bcknsty said on May 31, 2011 at 12:38 p.m.

@7 Naw we gonna get dudley his own rank Classy

ButterKnife said on May 31, 2011 at 12:41 p.m.

I really hope this game isn't as unbalanced as early reports seem to suggest.

SSF4 was almost perfect except for a few characters (Like Hakan, Guy, Makoto, Gen, and maybe Juri) being a little underdone.

Dr_Robotnik said on May 31, 2011 at 12:42 p.m.

there's no way hakan & t. hawk are better than dan.

Jarkyttaa said on May 31, 2011 at 12:51 p.m.

@TheShotokan: How much have you played the game? It feels like most of this is pretty much pure speculation based on some videos from Japan and the change log, but people fail to recognize how changes to one character affect the standing of all other characters, too. While not quite the same, this is pretty similar to people arguing about how Dudley was going to be S tier in Super or how Gouken shouldn't be allowed in tournaments in vanilla because he was going to be too strong. It's pretty undeniable that the twins and fei are pretty strong, but most of this info is coming out of Japan, where 2 of the top 3 players have been using those characters since the launch of AE. If Mago switched to Makoto for AE, I'm sure there's a chance people would have her on S-tier at this stage.

enagamer said on May 31, 2011 at 12:52 p.m.

bbcs2>ssf4 ae

BlankaBeast said on May 31, 2011 at 12:56 p.m.

They only have S and D right IMO

THE_GODDAMN_MASTER said on May 31, 2011 at 12:56 p.m.

@49: I don't see HOW it's similar. AE has been out for several months in Japan, and nothing like that happened with Super or regular SF4.
And we didn't have tournament players outright stating that Dudley and Gouken were the best of their respective versions, unlike AE.
So the analogy really doesn't work.

RedEther said on May 31, 2011 at 1 p.m.

@50 don't kid yourself.

Cammy ranked A what? I don't see any cammy players over 60k in ae.

BlankaBeast said on May 31, 2011 at 1:01 p.m.

I take that back only S right IMO

darko_p86 said on May 31, 2011 at 1:04 p.m.

Jarkyttaa

all this complaining makes me think, maybe people are worried that like having to deal with a lot of Sagat's in vanilla, they'll have to put up with getting used to Yun and Yang's super's bshing them around.

Temtt said on May 31, 2011 at 1:07 p.m.

Yes, that list seems quite rushed. Rufus C? Really?

Also, tier lists mean nothing. I mean Zangief is supposed to be s**t-tier (according to the Eventhubs tier list) in HDR but SnakeEyes still won Evo. If that doesn't tell you something...

Hafucken said on May 31, 2011 at 1:07 p.m.

Kung Fu bitches

Tabris said on May 31, 2011 at 1:09 p.m.

All Sakura needs now is EX Otoshi to be an overhead and I'll be very happy.

shadow050 said on May 31, 2011 at 1:17 p.m.

sorry, but no wway in hell am i gonna sit here and actually are believe ryu and honda is now only C tier... just not happening.

that, or i'm seriously gonna have to back and review the buffs and nerfs of all the other characters...

this list will change, drastically, without a doubt.

powderedtoastman said on May 31, 2011 at 1:21 p.m.

@#53
just cause cammy is being played as much to your standards doesnt mean she cant be consider good. Looks like more higher ranked ken players than cammy yet a tier under.

@#56
Rufus is a solid character with a solid gameplan but he doesnt have anything special going for him really. Amd lol @ eventhub tier list. And snakeyes skills far exceeded the limitation on his character choice.

crispylinks77 said on May 31, 2011 at 1:23 p.m.

Is Cammy really still that good? I know Sako has been getting a 90% win pct with her but it's Sako! I wanna see some footage.

enagamer said on May 31, 2011 at 1:24 p.m.

@53 how can you think boring and unbalanced ae is better than cs2. I don't think you should kid your self

okay said on May 31, 2011 at 1:25 p.m.

The buffs for AE were good, but most of the nerfs were unnecessary.

caruga said on May 31, 2011 at 1:30 p.m.

These are what they want to pretend the tiers are. Raise up the characters people are unhappy about.

Super_Shoto_Fighter_4 said on May 31, 2011 at 1:33 p.m.

I think I'm the person who likes the balance changes here. This version seems more balanced than super and I agree with everything Capcom has done. The tier list looks fine. There are a lot more mid tier characters than there were in super so I think that it's shaping up well to be the best version.

ContentBlock said on May 31, 2011 at 1:38 p.m.

all these nerfs and buffs just ruined this game. how is the brothers and fei long stronger than saget akuma, and bison. they still couldnt even add bison's cross-over to his devil reverse and skull drive. wtf. thank god for bbcs2

Ex_Ein said on May 31, 2011 at 1:40 p.m.

Atleast it's not like Third Strike

FlawlessMatador said on May 31, 2011 at 1:40 p.m.

@62 I guess you don't understand what an opinion is. No matter how much you want it to be true it's just your opinion.

Rekkaken2468 said on May 31, 2011 at 1:50 p.m.

didnt think oni & evil wud be dat low. but wow at makoto, she made a pretty big jump. i hoped dat t.hawk wud of gotten higher up. he's pretty under-rated.

Sasuga said on May 31, 2011 at 1:50 p.m.

There you go. Half the roster is on C.

Get the other half there too ;)

logic_boi said on May 31, 2011 at 1:52 p.m.

Cammy consistently ranks top 10. Daigo, Mago, Tokido, now Arcadia but there doesn't seem to be anybody that uses her at high level play in AE. I would like to say that's going to change once I get my hands on it, but you know...

yunandyang said on May 31, 2011 at 1:52 p.m.

poongo(seth) won an ssf4ae tourney...akuma can use srk and air fireballs.....guy got buffed and adon was buffed..this game is focused on how to beat the twins+fei..ssf4 was all about turtling .. AE is about rushdown

Genuserx said on May 31, 2011 at 1:55 p.m.

Oh please everyone, don't think that just because yun is top tier that people are going to pick him. Theres still going to be an infestation of shoto and guile scrubs playing online. You all fail to realize that Yun is a bit harder to play..... Think of it like this: Rufus was supposed to be extremely powerful, yet we never saw him on online play. Don't complain about Yun being in tournaments either, when most of you probably won't enter a tourny....... Its a blessing that those 3 are top tier, because now we won't have a bunch of tier whoring people playing since the characters actually take skill....

THE_GODDAMN_MASTER said on May 31, 2011 at 1:56 p.m.

@72: Uh...no. I know you're a 3rd Strike fanboy and thus you're just recycling arguments, but SSF4 was NOT all about turtling.

JIHADJOE said on May 31, 2011 at 2:03 p.m.

Everybody wants kung fu fighting
The twins are fast as lightning

Existent said on May 31, 2011 at 2:03 p.m.

This is only a popularity ranking.

yunandyang said on May 31, 2011 at 2:05 p.m.

1. The character you are using?
2. The reason why you chose this character?
3. In a 3on3 tournament, what characters do you want to form your team with?
4. Reasons?

1. Main:Yun
2. Reason: fastest rushdown and can comeback anytime
3. sagat(comeback king), gief(anti rush down)
4. sagat is my zoner and gief is just strong

JanTheMan said on May 31, 2011 at 2:07 p.m.

I'm going back to Tekken...

Cyb said on May 31, 2011 at 2:23 p.m.

Haven't really kept with with the latest AE updates, but I as a player who mains gief, I am surprised he ranks so high after having some of his tools and wake up game nerfed. Quite a jump considering he was mid-tier in SSFIV.

Aqua said on May 31, 2011 at 2:25 p.m.

who still plays Cammy for her to be so high?

RedPantyAddict said on May 31, 2011 at 2:28 p.m.

I do play Cammy and Sakura but I'm just a random Swiss player. xD

Square_eyes said on May 31, 2011 at 2:34 p.m.

I'M not gonna complain about the tiers because I find all the top tier in AE a lot more interesting than top tier in Super. (and also because of Sagat's buffs :B)

Aluppoj said on May 31, 2011 at 2:34 p.m.

Sagat back with the big boys. Ryu has been nerfed to a pulp. Sucks.

MrPavy said on May 31, 2011 at 2:37 p.m.

Cant wait to make people cry about yun and yang online

caruga said on May 31, 2011 at 2:46 p.m.

@84: Shedding tiers.

MrPavy said on May 31, 2011 at 2:47 p.m.

Damn that was Early :P

MrPavy said on May 31, 2011 at 2:48 p.m.

but lets be honest here The same people whining about yun and yang will end up playing them too

Mr_Clack said on May 31, 2011 at 2:51 p.m.

People are going to be at the top? What do people want? The people they happen to like on top?

Aluppoj said on May 31, 2011 at 2:58 p.m.

Btw, Ono San tweeted today:

Tweeter: "Ono San, there are two empty slots on the select screen!" "Any more characters?"

Ono San: "I'm thinking about it." "Your Right!"

Guess what dudes. Two more characters coming!

CrossOvah said on May 31, 2011 at 2:59 p.m.

Gouki and Oni for ever xDDDD

Osbjorn said on May 31, 2011 at 3:01 p.m.

So true
just like sentinel

Suncent said on May 31, 2011 at 3:14 p.m.

link?

Rekkaken2468 said on May 31, 2011 at 3:15 p.m.

fei's been my main since vanilla. even if he ended up at the bottom in AE i wud still play him. i guess its just a fortunate thing for me dat he's on top ^_^

PainKiller said on May 31, 2011 at 3:19 p.m.

And most definitely 1 in 10 will actually learn how to use him for real.

Aluppoj said on May 31, 2011 at 3:19 p.m.

Idk how to post the link lol sorry. Just go to Ono's twitter account.

It's easy, google Ono San twitter and read the posts.

Aluppoj said on May 31, 2011 at 3:20 p.m.

After you read it, if you know how to post the link you should. This is BREAKING NEWS!

yunandyang said on May 31, 2011 at 3:21 p.m.

Yun vs Dan in Evo 2011 would mak ethis game more interesting, Yun vs Yun would be boring

RisingSun777 said on May 31, 2011 at 3:27 p.m.

Ugh, no one respects Dan. Better recognize the Hop Kicks, cause there coming for YOU

juanrock said on May 31, 2011 at 3:30 p.m.

i will still play as juri but it looks like i need a new main,since she didnt move on the tier, but at least sakura and makoto are strong now, and cammy looks like a good option too, my sagat is strong but i dont like using fireball heavy characters and fei-long is just too good to feel good using him.

THE_GODDAMN_MASTER said on May 31, 2011 at 3:34 p.m.

@98: I think Dan's ranking in D tier is due more to tradition than actual prowess. He's better than RYU, now, so expect to see a lot of those Dankukyakus in the future!

Load more comments