Ono has idea for Alpha 3, Sven talks tournament rules, Mega Man

Posted by Jonathan 'Catalyst' Grey • May 2, 2011 at 12:41 a.m. PDT
Ono has idea for Alpha 3, Sven talks tournament rules, Mega Man Capcom employees made a few more posts on various social channels. Yoshinori Ono is first up, talking very briefly about Alpha 3, mentioning a Triple Upper version. SFA3 Double Upper, as it's called in Japan, is known as Street Fighter Alpha 3 MAX here in North America, so if you take Ono's words at face value, it sounds like he wants to do another iteration of the Alpha 3 series.

Svensson discusses the rules for tournament organizers seeking permission from Capcom to run events, which he covered previously.

I hope in a couple of years, you make Street Fighter Alpha 4 — KingQuaka.

Ono: Ummm, Alpha 4... I have [an] idea for Alpha 3 ↑↑↑ Triple upper! :P

Would I require official license to run a tournament for a Asian New Years celebration? Every year the Hmong do a New Years celebration around October - November depending on the area you live in.

I have been planning for years to start doing video game tournaments as part of the entertainment they have at the Hmong New Years since they always have sport tournaments why not a video game tournament. We will be charging competitors an entry fee but all the money from the entry fee will be given to the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners.

Me and the people helping gain nothing from the tournament. So would I still have to acquire a official lincense? — Houa

Svensson: From what you've described, the odds are you'll be OK Houa.

Christian Svensson and Seth Killian also went over Mega Man's popularity, which doesn't directly deal with fighting games, it's more about the core titles from that franchise, but considering he was a very popular suggestion for Marvel vs. Capcom 3, this might shine a little light on the scenario. Hit the jump to check that out.

Why is it that Capcom Japan believes that Mega Man isn't popular in North America? I assume they have sales numbers to back up their claims, but it's a very well known property even if it doesn't sell well. — Blues1990

Svensson: Relative to Japan, North American sales of MM titles is historically lower (though MM9 and MM10 were significantly higher in NA than Japan). Another complicating factor is the fact that the demographic for MM there is much younger than it is here. My suspicion is that it's due to the fact that for years, MM in Japan has been promoted in the weekly Kuro comics magazine, which is younger skewing and the Battle Network/Starforce series was also aimed as a much younger demo than Classic, X or Zero franchises, so we tend to get some mismatches across the brand.

We know it's a popular brand in NA, but perspective is all relative.

Seth Killian: It was my quote so I should try and provide a little background...

As Sven mentioned, MM sales in Japan are typically higher, so there's that.

Beyond sales however, it's largely a cultural impression issue. I think most Capcom Japan staff view MM as a fairly "Japanese" character (as opposed to, say, Frank West). I think Americans often assume that because something is popular in America, everyone else probably likes it too. In Japan, it's usually the opposite — the more "Japanese" something might be, the less they would expect it to be popular elsewhere.

It's less to do with any reality and more to do with "this is a very Japanese thing, therefore foreigners won't be as interested in it." That's true for some Japanese things (*cough* natto *cough*), but not true for other things, like the Blue Bomber. It's easy for everyone to love a cute, tenacious, and pure-hearted hero with such fun enemies. Although just to make it even more complicated, MM is much less popular in Europe than he is in N. America. Of course Europe is just wrong about this :P, but different strokes for different folks...

Sources: Unity Boards, Yoshinori Ono's Twitter.

Comments

Jarkyttaa said on May 2, 2011 at 12:46 a.m.

Sounds like SFA:3 online to me, if anything. Which would be terrible. SFA:2 was by-far the best in the series, in my opinion, except that it was missing some of the best characters from A3.

Grimmjow316 said on May 2, 2011 at 12:54 a.m.

SFA3 FTW just release a special bundle of A2 & A3 online it would be awesome (know it's tough since it would take forever)

EDGEucator said on May 2, 2011 at 1:23 a.m.

Agreed.

Cinderkin said on May 2, 2011 at 1:29 a.m.

If they did release an online version of Alpha I hope it's nothing like MvC2 for psn xbla. I love MvC2, but I bought it on live expecting the full game with online capabilities. Instead, I got every character unlocked, and nothing to play but online really. I hope 3rd Strike online is a full fledged game, and not just an online experience. We have GGPO for that. Give me more than just Online. I want the full package.

Stay_Free said on May 2, 2011 at 1:44 a.m.

fück alpha 3, that game is balls.

now alpha 2 gold...

kirbykirbykirby said on May 2, 2011 at 1:46 a.m.

capcom needs to make a game better than mega man 2 and 3 because those are the most popular in the series and they came out so many years ago. look at mario how different his games are but they feel classic at the same time. why cant capcom do it? =/ i know they have the legends series, exe and others that are very different but the original mega man deserves a huge game that every one would keep an eye out for and not just his fan base.

ihira said on May 2, 2011 at 1:51 a.m.

^ what exactly do you mean when you say 'full deal'.
Does psn xbl MvC2 not have traditional arcade mode w/ endings, versus mode, training mode, etc?

SomeDude said on May 2, 2011 at 1:52 a.m.

Kinda suprised to read that Capcom Japan considers MM 'a fairly Japanese character',because to me there isn't really Japanese about MM.

Tho I never played the network/starforce games but i'm sure it's more anime-ish or something along those lines.

cvs said on May 2, 2011 at 1:55 a.m.

lol @ the broken game called sfa3

Grimmjow316 said on May 2, 2011 at 2:10 a.m.

A3 was fun as hell so was 2.

Sektah84 said on May 2, 2011 at 2:29 a.m.

Alpha3 Haters Smh. Best sf game screw you Haters!!! I'll def take it online a-ism sagat!!!!! Alpha 3>ssfiv &3rd strike.

EDGEucator said on May 2, 2011 at 2:56 a.m.

Moses:"Let God's hater's hate."

J said on May 2, 2011 at 2:59 a.m.

Lol @ people speculating about a new version of Alpha. Do you really not know Ono by now?

Lavama said on May 2, 2011 at 3:41 a.m.

I'll fight some with Katana. ;)

And besides, A3 actually has Cammy. Never got to try the A2G version. (Sakura's in both. No complaints.)

old_school_rival said on May 2, 2011 at 4:33 a.m.

No more Alpha games plase, I'm sensing Street Fighter overkill. If capcom make anymore fighting games they need to bring back Pocket Fighter.

therealist1991 said on May 2, 2011 at 5:35 a.m.

@ #15

if capcom makes anymore fighters they need to be of
the following games

1.Capcom Vs SNK 3 / SVC Chaos 2
2.a new Rival Schools/Project Justice
3.reattempt Capcom Fighting All-Stars
4.Captain Commando / Final Fight

SoundwaveButcher said on May 2, 2011 at 6:03 a.m.

Mega Man supposedly not that popular in USA,then again we get Shuma Gorath a character not popular at all and what about Viewtiful Joe,Spencer,Amateratsu they are unrecognizable by regular casual players and they got nothing going for them,combined they have like 6 games,compare that to all of Mega Man's games over the years.

Capcom with their BS stories...im getting tired of this crap.

Dr_Robotnik said on May 2, 2011 at 7:21 a.m.

#16, those are very good idea's, but I for one would like to see a street fighter vs x-men 2, with marvel 3's button scheme, actual moving & voiced beginning & end cutscenes, and a rival system like SF4 (lol @ the thought of rufus thinking that ken masters sent sentinel after him).

#17, do you honestly think that marvel 3 was made for casuals?

mrAE3 said on May 2, 2011 at 7:41 a.m.

@#17
I agree with you 100%. It seems that Capcom does whatever Capcom thinks is good. They say they listen to fan input, but in reality, they hardly ever accept any ideas from their own people (i.e. Darkstalkers 3, Hugo and R. Mika in SSF4). That's probably why Inafune left, among other reasons. Not having Megaman in MvC3 was just plain stupid IMO.

ffboi7 said on May 2, 2011 at 7:53 a.m.

Nice they finally answered my question! Guess that New Years tournament is a go xD

MALDA said on May 2, 2011 at 9:25 a.m.

MALDA said on May 2, 2011 at 9:34 a.m.

Raven said on May 2, 2011 at 9:57 a.m.

I really wish Capcom would stop dumbing down their fighters. MvC3 looks stupid with X-Factor, I'm still reluctant to buy it. lol

As for Alpha 3, I'm sure it's a nice game, but I'd rather Capcom focus on new things....

Stay_Free said on May 2, 2011 at 10:11 a.m.

Sorry, you've arrived to the modern age where your next door grandma is more important to game developers than you are. So expect shortcuts, comeback mechanics and piss easy to master gameplay from fighters in the future too.

Also the guy who wanted SVC2 needs to kill himself ASAP.

Stay_Free said on May 2, 2011 at 10:16 a.m.

Oh yeah, and A3 isn't much more broken than A2 is really. But A2 is still more fun to play than A3 and it's artificially larger roster created with the ISM's, which fails anyway because there's no reason not to use anything but V-ISM, and bad music (very important!)

MALDA said on May 2, 2011 at 10:22 a.m.

xShonuffx said on May 2, 2011 at 10:46 a.m.

@26 SNK has come a long way from the Neo Geo days. With their new engine for KOF XIII I would love to see a SVC2, it wasn't bad i just felt it was held back for some reason.

I think they would deliver well with a SvC2 and it would be nice to see the street fighter characters in 2D again.

Reality is, SNK is currently in direct competition with Capcom so I don't forsee a partnership long after SFxT.

They would probably make a Nintendo x Capcom before that im afraid.

The_Killah29 said on May 2, 2011 at 10:49 a.m.

I don't understand why EXE/Starforce was considered childish, they could kill all the other Megamen. And X fans should be happy they got Zero, and should be trying to get MegaMan.EXE in the game instead.

Hakansoilbarrel said on May 2, 2011 at 10:59 a.m.

(A child in tights killing things is Japanese, think about it.

Interesting perspectives here, tho)

The_Killah29 said on May 2, 2011 at 11:12 a.m.

Seriously, EXE is the best choice.
-X had his spot taken by Zero. Zero has a MMX colour.
-Volnutt is in TvC and should stay in TvC too. Tron is repping Legends and he's also in her ending.
-Clasic. "can't make a movelist". He had enough time in MvC1 & 2.

As for Starforce, he should be a costume for EXE. Plus EXE seems like the one Capcom likes due to the fact that they gave him more powers and abilities than all the other MegaMen. They also gave his game series a propper ending, plus he got a multi-season anime too. As for X, Capcom killed him, volnutt only has 2 (soon to be 3) games. So EXE/Starforce is the MegaMan Capcom likes, so the rest of the fans must see that logic. The only way X would get in is only due to fan demand.

Jerry said on May 2, 2011 at 11:17 a.m.

What? The only difference between the PSN/XBL version and DC/PS2/Xbox versions were that in the DC/PS2/Xbox, you'd have to unlock the characters and PSN/XBL has online. Other than that, the DC/PS2/Xbox versions really had nothing.

It's common knowledge by now that MvC3 was made more for casuals than hardcore players, hence the TvC style layout.

SNK has been in competition when they made CvS/SvC. Heck, there were even tensions between the two companies because Capcom felt Ryo was a direct ripoff of Ryu, so they made Dan to parody him. Despite that, the two still worked together to produce CvS/SvC.

Anyway, I can't wait for Alpha 3. I've been requesting that game for a long while. People act like 3S wasn't broken. Yet, people still request that, too.

Jerry said on May 2, 2011 at 11:23 a.m.

You really think EXE is a better choice over X or Classic? Really?
Color doesn't mean anything. Just because Zero has X's color doesn't he's out of the question.
I agree. Keep Volnutt.
What do you mean by "can't make a movelist?" He did just fine in MvC1 and 2. What does "had enough time in MvC1 and 2" even mean? Ryu and Chun Li were in every single Vs. games. Did they have enough time?

Jerry said on May 2, 2011 at 11:26 a.m.

Oh yes, I forgot to mention, you really want
over
REALLY?????

MetroidG said on May 2, 2011 at 12:17 p.m.

@therealist1991
I agree we need those games man. I've been waiting on a rival schools 3 and a big budget attempt at a capcom fighting all stars game.

kirbykirbykirby said on May 2, 2011 at 12:19 p.m.

I still can't believe mega man was left out of this game. Wacky choices

The_Killah29 said on May 2, 2011 at 12:26 p.m.

@34/35

My arguements are all valid.
As for classic's "Can't make a moveset", Niitsuma even stated that fact about him.

My logic speaks for itself. EXE is the one Capcom likes. Why else would they put Zero in over X? Seriously, ask yourself that question.

And yes I chose the first pictured MegaMan over the second pictured MegaMan. problem?

The_Killah29 said on May 2, 2011 at 12:29 p.m.

@34/35

Plus all X fans can really say about him is that he's cool looking, but he's just angsty.

mavfan619 said on May 2, 2011 at 12:39 p.m.

Arguable A3 is my favorite pure SF (no cross overs etc...) game, I know A2 is supposed to be better but I prefer A3. Would love to see it on my PS3.

Jerry said on May 2, 2011 at 12:55 p.m.

Niitsuma said Sentinel wouldn't be in the game. Look what happened.
How the hell can they not make a moveset for Classic when he was just fine in MvC1 and 2 and Dante has 40+ moves?
I'm not saying they should put in X over Zero, I'm saying they should put in X over EXE. He's just more... badass.

old_school_rival said on May 2, 2011 at 12:56 p.m.

@ 16 while it would be nice to see those games return I'd like to see Pocket Fighters return before any of those games simply because it was a fun parody. With three SF4 games, MVC3 and TXSF on the way. A bit of light hearted action is what's needed, Power Stone 3 would be good to see as well.

Jerry said on May 2, 2011 at 12:57 p.m.

Pocket Fighters is on PSN.

xRELLIKx said on May 2, 2011 at 1:10 p.m.

dont get me wrong, i love alpha tons too....

but i'd much prefer capcom giving other fighting franchises more attention. sf4>sup>ae>sfxt>sf3o>mebe sfa 3???

kinda makes you think 'saturation' no?

Dr_Robotnik said on May 2, 2011 at 1:18 p.m.

@21, what I meant by that is that MVC3 is no more casual than viewtiful joe or okami. just because it doesn't use the traditional button scheme doesn't mean that it's casual.

Jarkyttaa said on May 2, 2011 at 1:19 p.m.

@43: When PSN is back up in another 2-30 days, I'll be sure to check that out.

old_school_rival said on May 2, 2011 at 1:22 p.m.

@ 43 I didn't even know it was on network, I rock the ps one version. But I'm referring to a completely new game, from this moment I'll dub it Super Pocket Fighter Arcade Edition.

JanTheMan said on May 2, 2011 at 1:40 p.m.

DRAMATIC BATTLES FTW

thefighter01 said on May 2, 2011 at 2 p.m.

not all but some japan ppl don't like U.S.A why you think they get everything first we 2nd to them addin no mega man its like no ryu and if they want higher rate's start sellin those games over here

thefighter01 said on May 2, 2011 at 2:06 p.m.

@46 psn is gonna be back up this may 3 when you sign in you gonna download a new update with a free 30 days plus members for free and free games from sony to pick from and also for ppl who paid for plus and Qcity music both get a other 30 days on top of it as a sorry from sony everything gonna be back up just not the playstation store your friends and trophy are gonna be fine aswell

Model_M said on May 2, 2011 at 3 p.m.

...now thats mega balls.

knuxpyro56 said on May 2, 2011 at 3:06 p.m.

You guys dont seem to know about MegaMan.
X is cool. He is awsome, has a cool scarf. and can sumon hadokens and shoryukens.
EXE however has more arsenal of weapons, the abilitie to actually take a soul, and the ability to turn in to the strongest Gods of the Internet(Gregar and Falzar). Not only that but do you guys want to see Lan rollerblade into the stage when Mega Man flies in and they both become MEGAMAN EXE!?!?!? its amazing the story, plus unlike X, EXE characters all have one secret street fighter move that many of you all dont know about.

Personally I dont care which version of MegaMan gets in as DLC but right now its a tie between X and EXE and second is Classic.

Meety said on May 2, 2011 at 3:24 p.m.

Here's to hoping that another Alpha game comes out and still haves Ingrid. It was no fair that she was on PSP and I had a PS3.

LightningBS said on May 2, 2011 at 3:32 p.m.

Lot of sad trolls in here

Speaking of which, Vintage Ono

Phoenixrising77 said on May 2, 2011 at 5:19 p.m.

Just wondering why in the hell does Capcom have such a hard time with releasing sequels? Instead, they release re-iterations of a game that has already been made. As we have seen with the Street Fighter series. Whats next?? MVC 3: Super, Turbo, Hero edition? LOL. UGH, this is the exact reason why I don't buy fighting games from Capcom until atleast a good year after. For sh!ts sake, they will probably re-release it with little to no added features and add only a couple of new characters.
I called it from the start that Arcade Edition would be released as DLC and unfortunately I was right. But the worst part? The characters they added were another pair of shoto's that are basically clones of existing characters. And the "new characters" are a pair of twins that are similar in play style.
I highly doubt that any other characters will be added and it is just unfortunate that some of the really interesting characters were not picked over "the clones". Epic fail Capcom...... And I do mean EPIC.

The_Killah29 said on May 2, 2011 at 7:44 p.m.

Thanks for supporting me.

As for the Lan rolerblading in, check my fan movelist on unity and you only see Lan for 2 seconds on a small tv screen. :3

ChunLi said on May 2, 2011 at 7:47 p.m.

Last I checked, X only had a scarf in Command Mission...y'know...the game that failed.

X has alot more going for him than you clearly give him credit for.

therealist1991 said on May 3, 2011 at 6:40 a.m.

#26/Stay_Free

Should go eat a D!ck ASAP.