Updated: Fight breaks out at tournament, 3 week ban instituted

Posted by Jonathan 'Catalyst' Grey • March 29, 2011 at 9:40 p.m. PDT
Updated: Fight breaks out at tournament, 3 week ban instituted Updated: Noel Brown wished to say some things about what went down, his thoughts have been added into this story.

During the Break Weekly #101 tournament, a fight broke out between Noel Brown and Eric "Smooth Viper" Arroyo. The stream announcers and people running the tournament denounced what happened, and both players were reportedly banned from these events for three weeks. After the tournament ended, Noel apologized on the stream.

Because Noel threw the first punch, he was disqualified from the tournament, but Arroyo was allowed to continue. According the commentators, if this happens again a lifetime ban will be instituted.

Real life violence at tournaments has been very rare in our community, but sometimes people let emotions get the best of them and stuff happens that shouldn't. The tournament organizers were very quick to react, though, and clean up this situation.

One of the commentators also said that the owner, Chris Cotty, works very hard to keep The Break going, and it's very difficult to keep arcades running in the USA, so please do what you can to support this organization that reacted quickly and handled the situation.

Here are Noel Brown's thoughts on the situation. Note: These are Noel's thoughts alone, they've only been edited for grammar and foul language.

Noel Brown: First of all, I have no beef with Smooth Viper or anything and we actually hang out outside of tournaments. I know the video shows one thing but only the people there saw how it really went down. First of all, Erik loses first round to 10star... and everything is sweet.

No one says anything to him for losing or anything. Then I play Felix from Philly and of course Erik is talking [crap] cause I'm losing and he's saying how he hopes I lose and join him in the losers bracket.

Now this part doesn't affect me at all. So I end up losing and I shake the guy's hand and all and I turn around and I see Erik take the stuff I took out of my pocket at the beginning of my match so the stick would sit flat on my lap and he puts it over his head and slams it to the floor and yells something else.

Now I talk [crap] so I don't get when someone else does it but I never take it to the point where I'm touching someone or their stuff. After that happens Mike Infinite calms me down and I just go up to Erik and say, "If you say anything to me or touch any of my stuff again, I'm going to [mess] you up," and I just walk away.

So Liston, Chris Matrix and Josh Wigfall all lose and Erik doesn't say a damn thing to them and I'm like oh everything must be good. Then I play and again, I'm about to lose and what do i hear over my loud ass music? Erik again talking [crap]. Now in my head I'm thinking, "Everyone else lost and he didn't say nothing. He must think I'm a [wuss] or something and I'm not gonna do [crap] cause hes bigger then me," so I end up losing and I shake Damien's hand.

Then I walk over to Erik and punch him in the face and we start fighting. That's what happened. It wasn't a sucker punch because I told him before that I would do it if he bothered me again and it wasn't because he talking [crap].

It's cause the he decided to single me out out of everyone else that was there cause I guess he felt as if I wouldn't do or say anything. Erik and I talk [crap] to each other all the time and we never get close to fighting or anything. It's just the fact that he threw my personal belongings on the floor and I was clearly angry about it and instead of just leaving me alone he continued to keep going even after I told him to stop. If I'm the bad guy for this then who cares. I'm sure other people would have done worse if someone slammed their [crap] on the floor.

Story originally mentioned by MarkMan and Zombiebrian.

Comments

MilnerWins said on March 29, 2011 at 9:43 p.m.

"COME ON GUYS,SETTLE THIS LIKE MEN.... IN GAME!"

Speakertag said on March 29, 2011 at 9:43 p.m.

Noel Brown's Level 3 X-Factor was broken as hell, I think we need to nerf it.

brenttiscool said on March 29, 2011 at 9:43 p.m.

lol noel brown seems like a wimp im surprised he threw a first punch

t0fu said on March 29, 2011 at 9:43 p.m.

ROCKET PUNCH!!!!

PropLeXed said on March 29, 2011 at 9:44 p.m.

X factor Noel Brown.

SaintAvi said on March 29, 2011 at 9:44 p.m.

Noel was charging his TAP the entire game then released the final TAP after shaking hands, FADC'd and then teleported.

Novacane said on March 29, 2011 at 9:44 p.m.

Anyone capture the fight on camera? i wanna see it!

terror said on March 29, 2011 at 9:44 p.m.

i see fights at tournaments all the time

dmbrandon said on March 29, 2011 at 9:45 p.m.

The one week I don't go. :(

Oroku_Saki said on March 29, 2011 at 9:46 p.m.

Wow, that was a real Salty Suite huh¿ Which Eric Arroyo is this¿ The only Eric Arroyo I know is a game developer, works with Bungie. Is this the same guy¿

dmbrandon said on March 29, 2011 at 9:47 p.m.

Eric Arroyo is Smooth Viper

Mit said on March 29, 2011 at 9:48 p.m.

Anyone know what caused the fight? Did Smooth Viper lame him out or something?

Telvanni said on March 29, 2011 at 9:48 p.m.

You know Smooth has a broken leg, right?

zombiebrian said on March 29, 2011 at 9:50 p.m.

smooth viper was apparently talking trash to noel, noel had warned him so when noel lost he reacted.

dmbrandon said on March 29, 2011 at 9:50 p.m.

He commented about Noel being on Jwong's dick, or something. Noel lost a huge lead, popped x-factor, and bodied him.

JJOR64 said on March 29, 2011 at 9:52 p.m.

Kinda curious, but why was this posted?

terror said on March 29, 2011 at 9:54 p.m.

you have respect for noel brown for raging at a video game and hitting someone? okay

surprised at no bionic arm jokes... where are all the trolls! :(

umad said on March 29, 2011 at 9:54 p.m.

noel X-factor level 1 bionic arm. it didn't even last 10 seconds.

boobee_cakes said on March 29, 2011 at 9:55 p.m.

They see me trollin'

They Ragin'!

Oroku_Saki said on March 29, 2011 at 9:57 p.m.

Whoah! That stream is somewhat cool. That character called "10stars" has a somewhat mean team. His X-23 is quite interesting to watch.

Woozle316 said on March 29, 2011 at 9:58 p.m.

The Samba De Amigo game was damaged in the fight! What next? Viva Pinata?!?! #Kappa

geni said on March 29, 2011 at 9:58 p.m.

well now that I read it better, i guess it was stupid that he punched him for losing the match. I thought he punched him for talking trash, if this were the case than I stand to what I said earlier

BlackHart said on March 29, 2011 at 9:59 p.m.

Chris from the Break Arcade is a merciful and great owner

"he told me to say that" Kappa

dhcwhat1 said on March 29, 2011 at 9:59 p.m.

noel brown is the new gabby j of the sf community :] yay!

JanTheMan said on March 29, 2011 at 10 p.m.

That's why we have fighting games... no need for real life violence...

Oroku_Saki said on March 29, 2011 at 10:01 p.m.
RandomDP said on March 29, 2011 at 10:01 p.m.

Anyone have footage of this? I love seeing nerds go at it face to face.

We're bringing back the Mahvel hype baby!

geni said on March 29, 2011 at 10:03 p.m.

@ terror
I hate you

akillyz said on March 29, 2011 at 10:06 p.m.

just send the sentinel force in...
they would take care of everything.

Hitstick said on March 29, 2011 at 10:06 p.m.

(This comment was removed by a moderator.)

Sakura said on March 29, 2011 at 10:07 p.m.

^ F&*% You!

Sakura said on March 29, 2011 at 10:08 p.m.

oh...nvm lol

geni said on March 29, 2011 at 10:10 p.m.

@#27

lol funny but very true

Aftermath1349 said on March 29, 2011 at 10:11 p.m.

Wait... Noel hit SV first because SV lost? Am I misunderstanding this or is this the dumbest things I've heard in awhile?

Catalyst said on March 29, 2011 at 10:14 p.m.

For those wondering why this was posted:

News of this fight was going to get out regardless. I'd rather have people know the facts of the situation, know the people involved took appropriate action and dealt with this quickly.

A lot of rumors and bs information get spread out there, and IMO it's better for people to know what took place instead of reading a lot of potentially false and bad info about the fight.

SSJ3X said on March 29, 2011 at 10:14 p.m.

Kind of unfortunate this happened, but like the article says, sometimes emotions can run very high in tournament play.

It's partly the reason why you don't see a certain "darkprince" in tournaments anymore. He's permanently banned I believe.

zombiebrian said on March 29, 2011 at 10:14 p.m.

no noel hit him after noel lost, cause sv was talking sh!t to him

SnakeX said on March 29, 2011 at 10:14 p.m.

Damn, I lost some respected for Noel Brown after reading this.
I know trash talking can quite often get pretty damn heated at tourneys...but come on, take out your aggressions in the game, don't be the jack ass that causes a scene.

geni said on March 29, 2011 at 10:15 p.m.

from my understanding SV was talking trash to noel. I am going to guess that Noel warned SV to stop. Noel lost his match and in anger and relation he punched him

dmbrandon said on March 29, 2011 at 10:16 p.m.

It's the first rule: Never take it out of the game.

Realpolitix said on March 29, 2011 at 10:20 p.m.

Smooth Viper puts the team on his back.

terror said on March 29, 2011 at 10:20 p.m.

starts 1hour and 23 mins in

Oroku_Saki said on March 29, 2011 at 10:20 p.m.

Why wasn't this stream on the front page¿ Damn, 10stars just did a Dante combo that was pure STYLISH.

tktktk43 said on March 29, 2011 at 10:23 p.m.

Noel is needs to work on his temper.

dmbrandon said on March 29, 2011 at 10:25 p.m.

And his doom.

shannaro1992 said on March 29, 2011 at 10:25 p.m.

Sigh... I'm quite saddened about this. But emotions can really get the best of you sometimes.

Oroku_Saki said on March 29, 2011 at 10:25 p.m.

Sentinel wants his brother to be unpatched/unbanned from the Break Arcade.

h00dRaTT said on March 29, 2011 at 10:32 p.m.

This is marvel. This is the start of all that old marvel thug crap all over again. The community just got a step down.

JK THIS IS MAHVEL BAYBEE!! LIVE FOR THIS ****

geni said on March 29, 2011 at 10:35 p.m.

I cant hear it but what did SV say to noel

h00dRaTT said on March 29, 2011 at 10:36 p.m.

R.I.P. Samba De Amigo Machine

General_Awesomo said on March 29, 2011 at 10:36 p.m.

Noel Brown just apologized now.

dmbrandon said on March 29, 2011 at 10:37 p.m.
Meskiukas said on March 29, 2011 at 10:39 p.m.

About time we had some popoffs.

geni said on March 29, 2011 at 10:40 p.m.

@#54

lol

yode said on March 29, 2011 at 10:43 p.m.

YOUTUBE VIDEO:

NOEEEL BIONIC ARM BROOOWN!!

h00dRaTT said on March 29, 2011 at 10:47 p.m.

http://www.justin.tv/jaxelrod/b/28260... for the full fight scene, including the broken Samba De Amigo NAOMI machine

geni said on March 29, 2011 at 10:52 p.m.

R.I.P Samba De Amigo

Malice said on March 29, 2011 at 10:53 p.m.

The day I'm not at The Break and this happens. Amazing.

And don't forget to check out 8wayrun.com.

cvs said on March 29, 2011 at 10:53 p.m.

This is what happens when you trash talk,which in a community like the capcom one,happens 24/7. I guess you gotta do what you gotta do at times.That's what trash talking leads to.

Douchebag said on March 29, 2011 at 10:55 p.m.

What the $%@*!?! Is competitive play really that goddamn serious? And people wonder why the fighting game community is regarded as an immature, socially defunct motley crew of humorless asswipes destined for lifelong failure (only succeeded by the MMORPG community, of course). At the end of the day, it is a VIDEO GAME. Nothing to break out in menstrual rage over.

geni said on March 29, 2011 at 10:57 p.m.

@CVS

this is very True After Watching the Video, I honestly don't blame Noel for punching SV ( broken leg or not) you Don't talk trash unless you can back it up. was Noe wrong for what he did? yes but I don't blame him either, I say he had every right to do what he did

h00dRaTT said on March 29, 2011 at 10:57 p.m.

When you do anything competitively, it's more than a game. It's serious(to the player), and if the player's emotions are in the game things like this can be the result.

Douchebag said on March 29, 2011 at 10:58 p.m.

By the way, I commend the organization sponsoring the tournament for defusing the situation to the best of their abilities. It's a shame they had to clean up the mess of wannabe poseur tough guys.

NWAndroid said on March 29, 2011 at 11 p.m.

So let me get this straight. Smooth Viper has a boot on his busted left leg. He gets swung at and his hair pulled. All because he was talking trash, starting up a NY/Philly debate?

Keep it classy and stay free Noel.

Triforce said on March 29, 2011 at 11:02 p.m.

Wow @ how the guy on the mic is screaming, "IT'S MAHHHHVEL BAYBEEE!" and laughing and encouraging it...

Then the Samba machine is broken...whoops-insta-change

dmbrandon said on March 29, 2011 at 11:03 p.m.

It was an NY/philly debate, between TWO NY PLAYERS.

The maddest hype.

lordrockman said on March 29, 2011 at 11:06 p.m.

I KNEW there was something fishy about that noel brown idiot throwing the first punch if it was MY arcade he would be ban for life

RandomJohn said on March 29, 2011 at 11:07 p.m.

Noel Brown got angry over a freaking comment about his ability to beat Philly? Are you serious? Before I saw the video, I thought Smooth Viper was talking crap about his family or something. Noel Brown's a loser for fighting over video games.

geni said on March 29, 2011 at 11:10 p.m.

everyone seems to be on noel's case for the punch yeah it was bad but, lets not forget are we saying that trash talk is ok?

irrenmann said on March 29, 2011 at 11:15 p.m.

The "serious" statements condemning this action make me laugh, when they are from people who try to profit off of the game and its whole longstanding connection to thugged-out culture. Listen to the commentators laughing and cheering: "IT'S MAHVEL, BABY!" It sure is. So don't act like you're above it.

I will say this: sometimes men fight, and that's life (you can get it out and be friends afterwards, even), but how about taking it outside?

Mr_Clack said on March 29, 2011 at 11:17 p.m.

Karma:

Noel Brown Screams Bionic Arm then 2 weeks later.......

omegax9000 said on March 29, 2011 at 11:17 p.m.

So this was about who's city is more polluted?

kingofthesharks said on March 29, 2011 at 11:17 p.m.

everything you said describing the fighting community could be applied to Sports 10x over. At the end of the day, it is only a ball game, you could say, but everyone's human. Trash talking starts sh!t like this in a variety of situations from middle schools to professional events.

Ex_Ein said on March 29, 2011 at 11:19 p.m.

Salty 'FINAL' TAP whiffs and breaks defenseless GOOD SEGA game Machine

Johnry said on March 29, 2011 at 11:21 p.m.

If people talk sh1t, of course a fight is gonna break out at some point. That's just how Americans roll: If you talk sh1t, you'd better be prepared to defend yourself.
This wouldn't happen in Japan in a million years.

Hitstick said on March 29, 2011 at 11:22 p.m.

Johnry, internet/video game tough guy!

GenoZStriker said on March 29, 2011 at 11:23 p.m.

Well you've certainty done a good job spreading this throughout the entire internet. Maybe you should update the news that he acknowledges what he did was wrong and apologized?

xShonuffx said on March 29, 2011 at 11:26 p.m.

@75 ^^^ This

I was gonna say this. Sports have players fighting all the time. Especially Hockey, Baseball has fights, hell I've seen tennis matches where fights break out. People are human, people get upset especially when there is a lot of pressure on you.

Im not saying he was justified to punch him especially someone with a broken leg who can't fight back really. But everyone is acting like it's a big deal, let's move on and hopefully people will be more mature at these events.

If your mad just finish your ame and walk outside, scream out loud and count to 10. Man up.

Maxoplata said on March 29, 2011 at 11:26 p.m.

Eff that. Teach the idiots at tournaments that this isn't Xbox Live. You run your mouth IRL and you might get checked. Plain and simple.

peteystreet said on March 29, 2011 at 11:27 p.m.

LMFAO i remember in a recent interview Noel Brown stated "Im from newyork! we get hype we talk Shyt! thats what we do! but its for the hype" and all of a sudden when someone talk shyt to him he wants to swing at em. Damn hypocrite smh...!

chosenst said on March 29, 2011 at 11:27 p.m.

Bahahahahahaha. You run your mouth sometimes you get popped in the mouth. Was it the right time? Probably not. Either way it works itself out; you talk trash you get dealt with or if you do stupid stuff like try to assault someone in the middle of an arcade and you get banned. Hopefully both learn from this and one guy stops talking trash while the other stops sucker punching cripples.

dmbrandon said on March 29, 2011 at 11:29 p.m.

I thought that was SV apologizing?

Douchebag said on March 29, 2011 at 11:29 p.m.

@GenoZStriker: Catalyst did acknowledge Noel's apology after the incident. Copypasted verbatim from description: "After the tournament ended, Noel apologized on the stream." There you go. Noel's still a douchebag, by the way. And that's coming from a douchebag.

Boogityboy said on March 29, 2011 at 11:30 p.m.

Malice said on March 29, 2011 at 11:34 p.m.

Here is the official match video.

rudedoggx said on March 29, 2011 at 11:35 p.m.

And here is the official Guile's theme video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPcDjb...

GenoZStriker said on March 29, 2011 at 11:36 p.m.

#85 Edit buttons do wonders to news. Too bad I can't edit mine when the news gets editted.

ElectricBlanka said on March 29, 2011 at 11:38 p.m.

I would have punched that dude, especially after hes been told to stop several times. Sometimes a good punch will knock sense into someone make him a better person in the future.

cvs said on March 29, 2011 at 11:39 p.m.

@90 Exactly,noel brown warned him to stop with the trash talking but smooth viper didn't.

Flipboy189 said on March 29, 2011 at 11:45 p.m.

It's not just a matter of emotions.

It's human nature. You put a bunch of rage induced players in a room and it's bound to happen.

Smooth Viper is obviously the instigator. He didn't have to talk mess. He could've just spectated.

Noel shouldn't have reacted that way so I hope his lesson is learned because violence is not the answer.

We all get pretty angry, no lie. Don't act like you've never been angry at a fighting game in your life.

Aquaman said on March 29, 2011 at 11:48 p.m.

R.I.P. Samba De Amigo

:'(

riku45 said on March 29, 2011 at 11:53 p.m.

not condeming his actions..just saying there is much worse that has happened in the land of gaming like the guy who tracked down a CS:S player and stabbed him because he got owned by him...I mean the guy spent 6 months trackign him down :S

Sturmgeist13 said on March 29, 2011 at 11:54 p.m.

YO IHZ MAHVEL BAYBEE!!!!!!

KizaruOfLight said on March 29, 2011 at 11:55 p.m.

Words are just words and punching a guy with a busted leg because of them is cowardly and immature. He most likely couldn't even defend himself. Fk Noel.

canabalistic999 said on March 29, 2011 at 11:57 p.m.

@92 FLIPBOY

well put i feel the exact same way , its human nature for something like that but still learn to control your temper wrong place and reason for that. And i admit i have felt the need to do that may of times online and offline but resisted lol

Boogityboy said on March 29, 2011 at 11:57 p.m.

dems00 said on March 30, 2011 at 12:01 a.m.

I think it's funny that almost all of these comments are along the lines of "WHO FIGHTS OVER VIDEO GAMES11!!!". These aren't just games to these guys and you guys are the same people who argue over sports and other things people are competitive with. This isn't just two friends fighting over a casual CoD match, this is two guys treating this as a job, sport, and a serious part of their life.

Also, people saying this doesn't happen in other scenes need to do some serious research on competitive gaming as a whole. There's been all sorts of fist fights and serious breakdowns from all the genres of competitive gaming.

Just because you think video games aren't a proper medium for great competition doesn't mean everyone else is as simple minded. Some of us treat this as a sport, hobby, and lifestyle all in one(no, that isn't me, I remain casual). Next time you get into an argument about a sport or something YOU do competitively remember your comments on this situation.

vsDenjin said on March 30, 2011 at 12:14 a.m.

I think the fighting game community in general just needs to be a little more professional. it isn't the biggest community, but it's growing. I just hope this doesn't affect that.

duckmouth said on March 30, 2011 at 12:21 a.m.

GUTTER TRASH

ATM_SPIDERTAO said on March 30, 2011 at 12:25 a.m.

wow if some stupid idiot was laughing while i lost at ANYTHING and calling me someone's BITCH and they were just a gaming nerd WITH a broken foot, i would take a swing at him too. you get made fun of by 3 types of people. people manlier than you, you take it like a champ and move on with your life. people your peers, well friends wouldn't diss friends anyway and peers keep it respectful cuz you're on the same level. but if someone lower than you talks that kinda smack, they need to be put in their place. it wasn't like noel was the instigator. can u imagine if it was some white guy calling a black guy a ni@@er? you'd all be up in arms. the insults were obviously way beyond noel brown's comfort zone. i'm 100% behind noel brown in this situation and i feel the ban should happen to both guys. if you talk smack and it's all in good fun, make sure the OTHER guy knows it.

Load more comments