Update: Marvel vs. Capcom 3 Event Mode patch, Sentinel's health nerfed

Posted by Jonathan 'Catalyst' Grey • March 22, 2011 at 3:08 a.m. PDT
Update: Marvel vs. Capcom 3 Event Mode patch, Sentinel's health nerfed Updated: It's been confirmed that Sentinel's health has been nerfed. It's about 910,000 now — down from 1,300,000. Sentinel has a bit more stamina than Spider-Man now (900,000), but less than Wolverine (950,000). There may be other changes in the patch as well, time will tell. As they're discovered, they'll be reported here on the front page of the website.

If you find any other changes, feel free to leave them below as a comment.

Users who start up Marvel vs. Capcom 3 today will be prompted at some point to download an approximately 1 megabyte update for the game on Xbox Live or 23 megabytes on PSN. The update contains Event Mode, along with some other balance changes.

Event Mode won't go live until March 25, 2011, and it contains a series of special challenges. Completing these challenges will unlock various titles, which are detailed in the Brady Games strategy guide, on page 397.

There may be other things offered in this mode as well, but so far Capcom has been very hush hush about what will be opened up.

Going by the available titles, there are 50 challenges in event mode for players to take on.

Contributions to this story by Gun_Fu_Projekt, Kagajh, SnakeX, 4120u, keyzerjose, Smexymillz, J, F1ameBlade and Desk.

Comments

Catalyst said on March 22, 2011 at 3:13 a.m.

@Apathetik

No. Nothing of that sort yet. I'm assuming when Capcom patches the online play, it's going to be something larger than a 1 megabyte update.

The only thing I know about the online play is Capcom is aware of the issue and looking into it.

DumbDLC said on March 22, 2011 at 3:23 a.m.

maybe its things like custom sound track and other crap that should have been in the game

Lavama said on March 22, 2011 at 3:32 a.m.

Hmmm, Event Mode sure does sound familiar...

Oh well! I can't wait to try it out!

crispylinks77 said on March 22, 2011 at 3:33 a.m.

Meh, unless it's spectator mode, I don't really care for any updates that Capcom might put into the game.

I feel like these "events/challenges" are merely just to keep people preoccupied in the hopes that they forget what's important (i.e. spectator mode).

I don't know. I love this game, but sometime, I feel like just watching others play instead of actually playing myself. I would like to see how others play this game and just enjoy watching it instead of getting salty over having to wait at the back of a 3-8 player lobby after a loss.

nakallo said on March 22, 2011 at 3:40 a.m.

it is 23mb not 1.

sNsKid said on March 22, 2011 at 3:59 a.m.

I'm surprised that the patch is Live already.

Hakansoilbarrel said on March 22, 2011 at 4:48 a.m.

(Woah 1 Megabyte, it must be *snicker* on the disc already!

*snicker*)

genesiskhan said on March 22, 2011 at 5:25 a.m.

@1 i dont think they will improve or change on any playability and or fixing characters its just the way the game is so we all have to deal for now. looking foward to new content but whatever happened to just unlocking something. now we have to buy or download everything later if these modes were there from the get go it would have been the total mvc3 experince. but they have to dish it out in segments y go thru the effort. maybe the content could have been a deciding factor for some people to actually be interested.

genesiskhan said on March 22, 2011 at 5:26 a.m.

in my case i wish they would just put about ten new characters. one should be anti sentinel even though i think jill does a good job of that. and spectator and recording matches thats whats missing to me.

J said on March 22, 2011 at 5:27 a.m.

I wonder if the challenges have special parameters.

Maybe challenge 50 is a match against 3 lvl3 X-factored Sentinels, or another "dramatic mode" battle like the cosmic heralds from the story mode but with Wesker and Jill at the same time.

genesiskhan said on March 22, 2011 at 5:28 a.m.

@13 actually that would be the best way to do it sorta like soul calibur and there tower

mavfan619 said on March 22, 2011 at 5:31 a.m.

#12 a lot of the cast beats Sentinel... You don't need a dlc specific to anti Sentinel just better blocking and punishment.

Gun_Fu_Projekt said on March 22, 2011 at 5:46 a.m.

They nerfed Sentinel's health. It's under 1 million now. I did a combo on him with Doom that was 950,300 and it depleted his health completely. Let me get some conformation on this guys. Hit the training room up.

Gun_Fu_Projekt said on March 22, 2011 at 5:47 a.m.

Confirmation* Sorry for the misspelling.

SnakeX said on March 22, 2011 at 5:49 a.m.

Nearly half the cast is anti-Sentinel. You should look into that instead of whining for more characters that can beat him...when there's already plenty already in the game that can do that.

J said on March 22, 2011 at 5:56 a.m.

Going from 1.3 million to less then a million is a pretty serious nerf, IF it's true.

4120u said on March 22, 2011 at 6:14 a.m.

Gun_Fu_Projekt is right, 962k combo ko'd sentinel.

SnakeX said on March 22, 2011 at 6:24 a.m.

I just ran some quick tests on Sentinel as well...It looks like he's at 900k now. A 937k combo kills him.

InitialR said on March 22, 2011 at 6:25 a.m.

keyzerjose said on March 22, 2011 at 6:31 a.m.

Hey I thought it was trolling too, its no lie, he has 900ish. anyone else get nerfed? maybe jean isnt as powerful now?

mavfan619 said on March 22, 2011 at 6:32 a.m.

I wonder if the Sent health change is the only change they've made? Also while yes with Sent's damage output his health was pretty high it seems in many ways they are going to be very proactive with balance changes. The complainers got their wish, #12 your DLC came true the character is nerf hammer.

SnakeX said on March 22, 2011 at 6:33 a.m.

Okay, so I tried going even lower, and an 876k combo also kills Sentinel. So...he went from 1.3mil to 850k, that's a pretty major drop that I don't think even he deserved. o_O

trauma213 said on March 22, 2011 at 6:34 a.m.

i would rather capcom just fix the glaring problems with the game in an effort to make it playable rather than release a bunch of half assed modes and crap that nobody will play for more than 10 minutes.

InitialR said on March 22, 2011 at 6:43 a.m.

InitialR said on March 22, 2011 at 6:45 a.m.

J said on March 22, 2011 at 6:49 a.m.

I really hope this is a bug or something. Sentinel does NOT deserve a nerf like that.

InitialR said on March 22, 2011 at 6:52 a.m.

GrimXD said on March 22, 2011 at 6:57 a.m.

although i agree that thats an enormous nerf. something was needed for such a dominating character. but this is overboard. it should have been damage reduction not such an enormous health nerf. but i understand high damage/low health characters as well. i feel it should have been the other way around

Boogityboy said on March 22, 2011 at 7:03 a.m.

J said on March 22, 2011 at 7:06 a.m.

The only thing they needed to nerf on Sent is his X-factor damage boost, imo. This is too much.

InitialR said on March 22, 2011 at 7:12 a.m.

GrimXD said on March 22, 2011 at 7:13 a.m.

@34 i wanna go down in the books as to having never played sentinel once. my team is and has always been HULK/Skrull/Dormammu

inb4 sentinel scrub using complainers

SnakeX said on March 22, 2011 at 7:16 a.m.

I messed around a bit with a couple other characters' stamina and so far only Sentinel is the only noticeably different one. I think Wesker may have lost about 50k, but my eyes may have been playing tricks on me...it's hard to do an exact amount of damage, heh.
Also, I did one more damage test on Sentinel before moving on, and he dies from 876k as I mentioned above, but doesn't die from an 862k combo...so he's somewhere between there.

Those glitches are not a big deal. Why you ask? Because they are impractical, not something you can readily abuse, and NEVER happen in actual match.
It's smart on Capcom's part to prioritize things like buffs and nerfs over glitch fixes because buffs and nerfs have a more direct and immediate impact on the game.

J said on March 22, 2011 at 7:17 a.m.

InitialR, you DO realize different people were asking for different things right? Personally, I didn't see the need for a nerf at all (except for maybe a x-factor damage nerf, but only if you absolutely have to nerf something).

Bringing his health down to 950k (just tested it, 19 overheads from Joe kills him) was not necessary.

Boogityboy said on March 22, 2011 at 7:21 a.m.

InitialR said on March 22, 2011 at 7:27 a.m.

InitialR said on March 22, 2011 at 7:33 a.m.

SnakeX said on March 22, 2011 at 7:40 a.m.

To be fair InitialR, you have to look at it from a match-up perspective too, since a good chunk of the cast could easily handle Sentinel before. Even though I generally dislike Sentinel and have never played as him myself, I still think a 450-500k nerf is a bit overboard.

J said on March 22, 2011 at 7:43 a.m.

Wesker, Tron and Phoenix seem the same. I could be wrong about Sentinel though, but he has between 900,001 and 950,000 health now. SnakeX, are you positive you killed Sent at less than 900k health?

GrimXD said on March 22, 2011 at 7:50 a.m.

@40 InitialR
your qoute is CLASSIC and true

"Sorry Sent users, it is time for you guys to actually learn how to play."

qoute of the DAY

SnakeX said on March 22, 2011 at 7:57 a.m.

Yeah, I've been doing it by combos in training mode with everything set to default, and his health bar is completely gone at under 900k.

InitialR said on March 22, 2011 at 7:59 a.m.

sidechar said on March 22, 2011 at 8:03 a.m.

So has they fixed the American Infinite?

Hakansoilbarrel said on March 22, 2011 at 8:09 a.m.

(Sentinel got nerfed? It really is the apocalypse...)

smashingme said on March 22, 2011 at 8:13 a.m.

Infinite is still there.

Cammystrike said on March 22, 2011 at 8:16 a.m.

Never played Sentinel myself, since it was my goal to never board that train. But even so I have to admit that's a pretty epic nerf. Maybe reducing his health to 1.2 million or 1.1 million would have been reasonable. But then again he does have a lot more options then the other heavy hitting high health characters like Tron and Hulk. I already foresee a lot of people dropping him now that they won't be able to just throw out unsafe things, and clutch out a win for no reason. Also the tournament scene should be a lot more interesting now that people may actually start playing other characters.

MrPavy said on March 22, 2011 at 8:18 a.m.

sentinel gets beat by most of the cast hell even chris redfield gives him lots of trouble.but the nerf was huge lets see if capcom will actually patch online

Endgame said on March 22, 2011 at 8:20 a.m.

#49 I don't think everyone will drop Sentinel though, because his assist is still pretty useful.

InitialR said on March 22, 2011 at 8:22 a.m.

stubbs said on March 22, 2011 at 8:24 a.m.

His assist just got alot worse.

Many beam super DHCs will now just kill him outright. Low health a spammable assist does not make.

Aqua said on March 22, 2011 at 8:25 a.m.

how can you nerf the health of the biggest target in the game? you can hit him from every angle possible, instant overheads, unblockables.. and now you can kill him basically in 1 combo, lol

Capcom should've let the game sink in, then patch whatever was really OP. instead they listened to a bunch of overreacting scrubs, gg :D

SnakeX said on March 22, 2011 at 8:28 a.m.

@InitialR
It only nullifies fireball type projectiles, not beams or multi hit ones, and it's not exactly a walk in the park when trying to nullify bullet projectiles either. That's why no one ever talks about it really. It's really only good against brain-dead fireball spammers, and Sentinel already had more than enough ways of getting around them to begin with, as I'm sure you're aware.

But he really wasn't that big of a hurdle as you make him out to be. Yes, he's got a ton of benefits, is a very powerful character, and is extremely easy to pick up, but you can't only look at it from just one side of the fence.
I'll mention it again, you have to consider his match-ups.
The most obvious example is Amaterasu, as she completely ruins Sentinel despite all of his benefits. And she's certainly not the only one. Wesker has a pretty easy time with Sentinel as well, as does Spencer. Same goes with Wolverine. And that's just the tip of the iceberg, really.

Sh3azu said on March 22, 2011 at 8:31 a.m.

That's a huge nerf. He wasn't that amazing anyway. So now Hulk will prevail, who annoys me more...

I wouldn't even be surprised if they put it back up.

SHOGUN said on March 22, 2011 at 8:31 a.m.

I dont think he really deserved that much of a vitality nerf. Maybe nerf super armor so it doesn't have so much priority, especially on jumping S. Let it trade at least. Slight damage nerf would have been good too. It's actually kind of odd they included this one character tweak in the patch.

Cammystrike said on March 22, 2011 at 8:32 a.m.

@51 His assist is good, but really easy to punish. With his health being so low now, two hail storms would be enough to kill him. So calling him out is a risk some people may think is too high to take. I've seen some people catch Sentinel as an assist and combo the hell out of him. Yet the damn thing still managed to walk away with it's life when any other character would have died.

EvilBowlOfCereal said on March 22, 2011 at 8:33 a.m.

Sentinel hp nerf seems a bit much. I would have just done something about the damage but whatever. Now maybe I can pick him without having to hear people crying about how OP he is.

Ahh who am I kidding people will still cry.

InitialR said on March 22, 2011 at 8:36 a.m.

JustIceRei said on March 22, 2011 at 8:44 a.m.

I approve of this update. Whoo!

chosenst said on March 22, 2011 at 8:45 a.m.

Pretty surprising nerf, although it won't deter me from using Sentinel in my team. For the most part, this will only affect the people who recklessly throw around their Sent and take for granted the fact he can survive a few combos before using their own random supers.

As far as spectator mode and fixing infinite's, be patient. This was an update that was free of charge, just like the shadow battle update. This shows that Capcom is still putting forth the developmental effort to help this game continue to grow, and people need to be happy with that.

iheartmota said on March 22, 2011 at 8:45 a.m.

@#60

Now the ammy vs. sent match is 9-1 instead 7-3 since ammy can just OHKO him and zoned him out. Horray for balancing.

Vulcan said on March 22, 2011 at 8:46 a.m.

Wesker's health SEEMS to be a bit lower, by about 50-100k. Doing more tests to see if I can confirm it.

InitialR said on March 22, 2011 at 8:48 a.m.

SnakeX said on March 22, 2011 at 8:51 a.m.

Are you really going to dispute that Ammy doesn't ruin him? She quite literally has all the counters she needs to put him down. She doesn't need to kill him in one combo. None of the characters that are good against him do. The fact that they have the tools necessary to counter his best efforts is enough.

John said on March 22, 2011 at 8:53 a.m.

I think they hit sentinel too hard, time will tell

SnakeX said on March 22, 2011 at 8:53 a.m.

Yeah, I was thinking its about 50k less. Not a huge deal for him but it's something.

SaintAvi said on March 22, 2011 at 8:53 a.m.

I think this makes sense, I scratched my head when I saw that Sentinel had more life than Thor, the damn god of thunder.

InitialR said on March 22, 2011 at 8:55 a.m.

orderofmerlin said on March 22, 2011 at 8:55 a.m.

I'm just happy that the MvC3 Capcom dev team is actively striving to make the game even better than it already is. Seth has been watching most if not all of the road to Evo tournaments.

I cannot wait to try event mode and get me some more titles. =)

Aninja11 said on March 22, 2011 at 8:58 a.m.

I agree, I think the Sent nerf was alittle too much; maybe 1,100K, but not way down to 950K-900K.

And Wesker health was a tad too high to begin with, IMO. So him being at 1,000K is fine.

And they should raise Arthur's health a bit, IMO.

sprflyspdrguy said on March 22, 2011 at 9 a.m.

Thank you for paying attention capcom.

Otter_of_Death said on March 22, 2011 at 9 a.m.

Even though I don't believe Sentinel was broken, I'm not against this nerf at all. More than 30% of the tournament scene was using Sentinel as a crutch and nerfing the most common anchor character will lead to more lab-work on the other characters.

In other words, this game's potential is going to unravel faster now. If Sentinel was no longer viable, that would be a different story, but he clearly is.

But again: I don't believe Sentinel was ever broken. The only nerf he needed was his assist. The people were right about that.

InitialR said on March 22, 2011 at 9 a.m.

iheartmota said on March 22, 2011 at 9:01 a.m.

Cold star is your friend. Sj okami shuffle, frame advantage to punish sents b moves start up frames, easy ass instant overhead. If sent throws sent s like a dumb ass. It gets punish hard by ammy. Can get airthrown like a giant ragdoll.

and 5S is stupid punishible. Hell you can just okami shuffle right after its block and it will hit.

iheartmota said on March 22, 2011 at 9:01 a.m.

#@70

TehTy said on March 22, 2011 at 9:01 a.m.

There goes my "All health characters" team. Wanted to keep a team of all 1m up health. :c they did a little to much, and I agree with #72, around 1,100k.

Jarkyttaa said on March 22, 2011 at 9:03 a.m.

I really don't see them fixing the American infinite, at least I hope they don't. Despite being one of the easiest infinites to pull off in fighting game history, I don't see all that many people with Cap even on their team, let alone landing the infinite for any significant amount of time. There surely wasn't an outcrying of "You can't win without Cap on your team." I think the Sent nerf is fair. Perhaps a little drastic, but cutting his health down is completely reasonable. Characters like Hulk, Haggar, and Tron having large health pools make sense, as they need to use that health to get in, and some of them can't even do comparable damage to Sentinel once they do get in. Sentinel having as much health as he did seems more like some great oversight than anything else.

drebs said on March 22, 2011 at 9:03 a.m.

awww. guess im gonna have to improve my game :P i've lost track of the ammouont of games i've won because my Ryu and Dante, or my wesker and Wolverine has been killed but then sentinal has come in level 3 x factor and saved the day, but then i neither play the game competitively or know what im doing to a large degree (i dont even use assists!!!) so for people like me sentianl is a way of making sure that when i do lose i just dont lose that badly haha.

but i do love this game and its a nice break from SF which is a lot more methodical and defensive. its also more fun to play with my friends when they come over as none of them can play street fighter and get bored in ten minutes, they find this much more fun.

i guess on topic it doesn't really bother me and i rarely play online as i dont really know what i'm doing, waiting for a comprehensive tutorial from someone like vesper before i think about playing the game competitively. guess on the rare occasions i play online now i will just have to be a bit more careful and choice my launcher mashing moments more carefully :P

InitialR said on March 22, 2011 at 9:04 a.m.

iheartmota said on March 22, 2011 at 9:07 a.m.

If further proof is needed.

You can hard drive but okami shuffle is punishble by everybody anyway.

Endgame said on March 22, 2011 at 9:08 a.m.

#74 definitely a crutch. Most people didn't know much on how to use Sentinel besides his specials and that one basic combo.

Wesker's health wasn't nerfed. Still takes eleven Hadokens (100,000 each) to kill him.

hitmanr92 said on March 22, 2011 at 9:10 a.m.

This is what Capcom does.
First Publishes a crap full of underpowered and overpowered characters.
then for balance issues nerfs someone and buffs the other one in the hopes that people would wanna buy their crap.
they've been doing this from vanilla sf to the bs mvc3.
well, fcuk you capcom.

Mangosentennial said on March 22, 2011 at 9:11 a.m.

Oh my poor robot

InitialR said on March 22, 2011 at 9:12 a.m.

Catalyst said on March 22, 2011 at 9:14 a.m.

Just did some testing, pretty sure Sentinel has 910,000 health now, unless they gave him some weird number like 905,000.

Katharsis said on March 22, 2011 at 9:18 a.m.

The guys at Capcom play this game constantly to find balance issues and glitches, infinite combos, etc., as well as looking at the community and what other people are finding, and saying about the game.

If Capcom nerfed Sentinal to 950, 000 health, it seems dramatic, but they worked hard to put 37 other chars in the game, too. A nerf that size has more to it than just "people were complaining".

TheRakeClown said on March 22, 2011 at 9:23 a.m.

LOL don't care about the changes. Still gonna waste face with sentinel.

x_Who_Is_Alpha said on March 22, 2011 at 9:23 a.m.

This update made the strategy guide stamina rankings wrong now lol

old_school_rival said on March 22, 2011 at 9:26 a.m.

lol I can only assume now that those who pick sent will be the people that enjoy using him; as opposed to those looking for a shortcut to an easy win.

RandomJohn said on March 22, 2011 at 9:27 a.m.

Wow from what I've saw from people's experiements with Sentinel's new health, it looks like he has Akuma health or less unlike what the article states. I think it's better to nerf his damage rather than his health. People are still going to play the same way as before. Level 3 x factor Sentinel to perform a scrub comeback. I have yet to see anyone play Sentinel to its potential. Not necessarily "fancy" combos but extended combos to do more damage. EVERYONE does the same simple and VERY DAMAGING combo (launcher, three or four hits in the air, OTG rocket punch, hyper sentinel force) when x factored. I've seen extended combos from Sentinel but no one does them because that repetitive simple damaging combo is all it needs to win.

NEWkidCJ said on March 22, 2011 at 9:28 a.m.

I don't understand why they nerfed Sent when most use him becuase he had that high health for people like zero,dante,X-23, etc. Now teams with him will die out like my Zero,Dante,Sentinal team.

Thats wasn't smart on Capcom to do that.

InitialR said on March 22, 2011 at 9:30 a.m.

InitialR said on March 22, 2011 at 9:31 a.m.

Zentsurugi said on March 22, 2011 at 9:36 a.m.

Wow, that's a pretty big nerf. This basically made all the matchups that raped Sentinel like 8-2 or 9-1. Can't say it was really needed. I raped Sentinel with X-23 no problem. Well I guess Sentinel won't be killing as many scrubs online anymore. And for the people who know how to fight him he's gonna be no contest.

Quas said on March 22, 2011 at 9:36 a.m.

i don't even play sentinel and i think the health nerf was a bit too much....if his health is around spidey's health, that's kind of absurd. i understand how high is damage output is, but sent aint that scary anymore. i'm more scared of dark phoenix. i think they shoulda dropped his health to about a mil or 990k tops

InitialR said on March 22, 2011 at 9:39 a.m.

kirbykirbykirby said on March 22, 2011 at 9:39 a.m.

I don't even play online so no update for me lol

dreamcast1212 said on March 22, 2011 at 9:42 a.m.

Well, at least I still have Phoenix. :3

BluePepsi said on March 22, 2011 at 9:43 a.m.

delicious Sent spamming tears

boobee_cakes said on March 22, 2011 at 9:44 a.m.

As much as I hate Sent online because of lag, I don't think he deserved such a drop in health, should have had damage reduction instead.

He would have been a high defense, high priority, but normal-ish damage character. This would have balanced him out a bit.

Either way, I know this makes the scrubs sh!t their pants in excitement.

mp91 said on March 22, 2011 at 9:45 a.m.

All this sentinel nerf complains remind me of all the people complaining about ssf4 sagat, just like him sent had too much for him and now he's still decent, you'll just have to learn to use him
now if they could lower dante's damage,

Load more comments