Clip of Tokido's Marvel vs. Capcom 3 online matches

Posted by Jonathan 'Catalyst' Grey • March 9, 2011 at 1:44 p.m. PST
Some footage of Tokido playing Marvel vs. Capcom 3 was uploaded to YouTube. The video quality is bad, like something you'd see circa 1993, if the clip had mud spilled on it, was slightly burned, and recorded with something akin to a Game Boy Camera. For those of you who can see through the fog, you'll get a glimpse of Tokido playing some MvC3 online ranked matches.

After watching the clip, what do you think of Tokido's abilities in MvC3? Leave a comment below with your thoughts.

Tokido will be at Final Round XIV this weekend, and Team Sp00ky will be streaming the action, so readers might be able to get a much better look at Tokido in MvC3 then. There will also be many other top notch competitors showing up at the event, and coverage will be provided here on the front page of the website.

Submitted by Hitenryu. Footage from SMOAI2010's YouTube page.

Comments

Reznov said on March 9, 2011 at 1:53 p.m.

From what I am able to observe, tokido should stick with SSF4

Struggs said on March 9, 2011 at 1:56 p.m.

What do I think? I think Justin Wong should money match Tokido and give him 1 million to 1 odds, bet his car, job, apartment, everything... Tokido will end up owing Justin a lot of money.

SmoothJK said on March 9, 2011 at 1:59 p.m.

Do we know when this video was recorded? Because if it's recent, he's in trouble at Final Round.

Struggs said on March 9, 2011 at 2:01 p.m.

March 5 2011 is what it says at the top of the video. EXPOSED!

evanslemmon said on March 9, 2011 at 2:01 p.m.

that's the worst video i've ever seen. with like 20 minutes of nothing and all the text across the screen. wow.

Catalyst said on March 9, 2011 at 2:04 p.m.

The video should automatically skip to the 20:40 time mark, when the action starts, if it doesn't jump to that point.

Donchilio said on March 9, 2011 at 2:11 p.m.

Were people really expecting Tokido to be GDLK at a game he only just started playing 2 weeks ago?
It's not like he has any Marvel 2 experience either.

Though, I find it surprising he's up for money matches at final round. Maybe he has some tricks up his sleeve.. @_@

orderofmerlin said on March 9, 2011 at 2:30 p.m.

I'm just happy that Tokido is trying out new stuff. helping promote the game in Japan. hope he can influence the other top Japanese players to play

Sharpie84 said on March 9, 2011 at 2:30 p.m.

He's gonna get lit up, but I'm not sure what else to expect... will be more interesting how he does at EVO after time to figure stuff out. He's starting out way behind the curve.

redfactor said on March 9, 2011 at 2:52 p.m.

LOL He sucks, Like really he does!

ChessDragon said on March 9, 2011 at 2:54 p.m.

This is what Tokido said about this video a few days ago on his blog:

"I'm scrub in that video.
You can expect a little bit more (σ・∀・)σYO."

As seen here http://tokidoki77.blog138.fc2.com/blo...

BlankaBeast said on March 9, 2011 at 3:02 p.m.

tigers blood, WINNING!
child birth, WNNING!

Tokido...DUH

DarknessFallz said on March 9, 2011 at 3:07 p.m.

"puh-rayah tweww win-su"

BalrogWill said on March 9, 2011 at 3:15 p.m.

Why does he have Akuma on his team? He never plays Akuma!

Swag said on March 9, 2011 at 3:17 p.m.

Will we able to see DSP vs Tokido?

Rekkaken2468 said on March 9, 2011 at 3:18 p.m.

as of now, he sucks. but he may get better as time goes on considering he hasn't had much experience with the game.

yes4me said on March 9, 2011 at 3:22 p.m.

Tokido should play money match against Sandford Kelly. I think they are about the same level.

TheSquirrelMaster said on March 9, 2011 at 3:54 p.m.

I wana see daigo play mvc3

SHOGUN said on March 9, 2011 at 4:07 p.m.

Well at least they know their BnB's. Mago seemed decent at it as well. That was Mago right? Anyways, yeah give them a little bit more time and we'll see how the top Japanese guys do. For all we know that probably wasn't even them and whoever edited this thing pulled footage of some other guys playing. We'll see come this weekend at FINAL ROUND. Can't wait! He didn't have THAT much experience with BlazBlue either and he placed first for that at, I want to say it was Season's Beatings, but I think it was West Coast Warzone. Whatever tournament it was that he did the infamous Akuma pose after bodying Clakey D at SSFIV.

Donchilio said on March 9, 2011 at 4:13 p.m.

@SHOGUN That was So-Cal Regionals.
You're also mistaken about Tokido having little experience with Blazblue. Believe it or not, he was actually the #1 Japanese Blazblue player at one point.

sojiki said on March 9, 2011 at 4:17 p.m.

man game looks bad lol

SHOGUN said on March 9, 2011 at 4:20 p.m.

Ah ok I stand corrected.

gam3fr33k said on March 9, 2011 at 4:35 p.m.

free

BlackHart said on March 9, 2011 at 4:50 p.m.

Marvel is USA

CMAyhem said on March 9, 2011 at 4:52 p.m.

@Donchilio
dude u gotta be kidding...
compared to Kaqn, Tora , Shadow and that guy that won SBO
tokido is not THAT GOOD in blazblue.
i mean he is good, but there is 10000000 better players than him there.

DemonDethchase said on March 9, 2011 at 4:59 p.m.

dude the picture in that SUCKS!!! Come on guys! You're from Japan! You should have higher quality recording equipment than whatever relic you're using for this video!

Donchilio said on March 9, 2011 at 5:06 p.m.

@CMAyhem
Like I said "at one point".
From what I've read, he was considered to be the #1 Japanese Blazblue player before SBO 2009. Obviously he isn't any more.

andyknigth said on March 9, 2011 at 5:23 p.m.

Please anyone, were there one combo kills in mvc2, please if there are point 2 videos out for me or almost kills. Thank you.

Alfrebaut said on March 9, 2011 at 5:59 p.m.

He's just barely better than Gootecks. Which still isn't very good. He needs a couple of sessions with Mike Ross, then graduate to a couple of sessions with Justin, then maybe he'll level up to tournament level. Though he IS playing Sent, so even if he doesn't know what he's doing, he'll be fine.

MALDA said on March 9, 2011 at 6:02 p.m.

xShonuffx said on March 9, 2011 at 6:27 p.m.

I don't think thre is enough high quality good players in Japan to level up his skill, I think he will level up big time when he plays at Final Round and see's how seasoned players play. Then he will get better. But for now I expect him to do moderate, we will see.

HukGuay said on March 9, 2011 at 6:30 p.m.

video doesnt shower player skills. just shows how much japanese players dont care about the game and think scrub level is all you need to play to win.

umad said on March 9, 2011 at 6:35 p.m.

just look up infinites. there are tons.

ozkar99 said on March 9, 2011 at 6:36 p.m.

well yeah tokido sucks at mvc3 but then again, look at his played matches, right now its the same as any guy with 0 experience on mvc3 picked a controller and tried to play.

mdef7611 said on March 9, 2011 at 6:54 p.m.

@28 yeah dude...watch any ft 10 match and you'll find at least 3 instances per set of mag mashing launch on a snapped player....sigh i hate ppl who have no idea what they are talking about

RandomJohn said on March 9, 2011 at 7:03 p.m.

Tokido plays like Justin when he first picked up the game. Or maybe Tokido is pulling a fast one to make U.S. think he sucks when he comes to Final Brawl?

crispylinks77 said on March 9, 2011 at 7:09 p.m.

I don't think you can say that because he never had MvC2 experience, he isn't that good in MvC3. I never played MvC2 before and I have a 83% win pct on MvC3.

It's the type of games that a person is good at. Tokido, Mago, and Daigo are better at slower type games like SF, while Kaqn, Dora, Shounen, and Shadow (and me included) are better at faster type games like BB and MvC.

shinshom said on March 9, 2011 at 7:14 p.m.

hope he is better now then in this vid....

MrPavy said on March 9, 2011 at 7:43 p.m.

lol i laughed so hard when he lost to ammy and yelled like there was a spider on him

melflomil said on March 9, 2011 at 8:24 p.m.

wow that's the same team i use in MvC3 dante,x23 and ammy..wierd

MANDINGO said on March 9, 2011 at 8:56 p.m.

MANDINGO said on March 9, 2011 at 9 p.m.

crispylinks77 said on March 9, 2011 at 9:11 p.m.

@ MANDINGO

This is coming from a guy that can't even tell the guy on the left is Tokido. Take your head out of your ass.

As for my 83% win pct, it doesn't matter if the game has only been out for a month. Sure we don't know EVERY single combo that each character can do, but we all have a very good grasp of what every character should do.

EnsignHiro said on March 9, 2011 at 10:04 p.m.

Tokido may seem or be pretty week in MVC3 now but i wouldnt sleep on his gameplay. You have to start somewhere even if you dont have a fast learning curve for whatever your trying to do. Also Everyone is different so this time thing may help to show us just how fast Tokido can learn new material for a new fighter type he may not be used to.

All in all looking foward to seeing japanese players who are trying to learn this and hopefully get to tourney level and maybe beat the infamous Justin Wong. I would get pretty excited seing as how this is US's strong point in fighting games.

bananainsaneface said on March 9, 2011 at 10:34 p.m.

@ crispylinks77 you know Tokido won a BlazBlue tourney right? He also won in Tekken. He is good at ALL types of fighting games. He also goes takes engineering at one of the worlds top universities IN THE WORLD. Basically Tokido WINS AT LIFE.

bananainsaneface said on March 9, 2011 at 10:35 p.m.

All Tokido needs is some experience against good players and with the Final Round tourney coming up he will be sure to level up his game.

bananainsaneface said on March 9, 2011 at 10:37 p.m.

Didn't mean to put world there twice. I edited it without proofreading now it looks super redundant. I wish we could erase posts but oh well you know what I mean.

PSNmignon15 said on March 10, 2011 at 3:14 a.m.

@bananainsaneface:
"All Tokido needs is some experience against good players"
That's exactly right. All players become better by fighting others who are better; that's why in a community the players have to carry each other forward. But Japan doesn't have much of a MvC2 community (if they even have any), so I think that Tokido pretty much just plays with people online.
Although Tokido did say on his blog that Japan are taking MvC3 seriously this time.

BTW, does anyone know if GodsGarden is a Japanese-only tourney? 'Cause if it isn't, I'd love to see some Americans getting invited to it.

SetsunaYuki said on March 10, 2011 at 3:45 a.m.

lol at every guys who think Tokido won't do anything with MvC3. Do you really think Tokido would post a video in which he did nothing ? It's just a trap and most of you felt in it.

sikemopko said on March 10, 2011 at 5:37 a.m.

I smell a troll... I have absolutely no mvc2 experience and I am better than that. Tokido is too good at fighting games to suck so bad and if there was a Japanese tourny player who would troll the u.s. Its tokido and I'm not a fan boy of tokido but he did tweet a while before mvc3 came out that he would be playing... Just watch he won't be as free as you think

CowboyBebopCrew said on March 10, 2011 at 7:38 a.m.

I think it would be hilarious if this were a troll. Watch him get into the lab and get ridiculous.

-JB

CowboyBebopCrew said on March 10, 2011 at 7:39 a.m.

On another note... does anyone know if Mago plays MvC3?

-JB

cvs said on March 10, 2011 at 12:49 p.m.

@50 Not too good at marvel vs series fo fighting games though.

crispylinks77 said on March 10, 2011 at 1:10 p.m.

@ 45

Lol I wont say that Tokido doesn't wins at life. His life is definately better than mine :D

But as for Blazblue, he won that in America. He even admitted in an interview that he isn't great at Blazblue, but America sucks at that game. I watched the stream and I can honestly say that I could probably beat Tokido. Not trying to be cocky, it's just the Blazblue tourney at EVO where Tokido won was total ass.

DarkCyclone said on March 10, 2011 at 6:28 p.m.

Who's he trying to fool? Tokido has played games such as Tekken and Blazblue at the highest level, and they are infinitely harder to pick up than this game.

Interesting how this video pops up right before he's meant to be at Final Round. My first glimpse of virtual sandbagging if I ever saw it. Wouldn't be surprised if he turns up beasting people