Metacritics' Marvel vs. Capcom 3 scores, fighting game comparison

Posted by Jonathan 'Catalyst' Grey • March 7, 2011 at 12:21 a.m. PST
Metacritics' Marvel vs. Capcom 3 scores, fighting game comparison Marvel vs. Capcom 3 has been out for almost 3 weeks now and many of the major websites have posted their review of the game.

Metacritic, a site which aggregates review scores from websites, has nearly 70 of them in their database for the title. It averaged out to a 85/100 rating, among critics, so far.

To give readers a barometer for how the title performed, a chart was built with recent Capcom fighters included, but also a couple of other EVO tournament games, Tekken 6 and BlazBlue: Continuum Shift.
# Game Avg. Score Score, Platform #1 Score, Platform #2 Release
1 Street Fighter 4 93.5 94/100 PS3 93/100 X360 Feb. 2009
2 Super Street Fighter 4 91.5 92/100 PS3 91/100 X360 April 2010
3 SSF2T HD Remix 87.5 87/100 PS3 88/100 X360 Nov. 2008
4 BlazBlue: Continuum Shift 86 87/100 PS3 85/100 X360 July 2010
5 Marvel vs. Capcom 3 85 85/100 PS3 85/100 X360 Feb. 2011
5 Tatsunoko vs. Capcom 85 85/100 Wii - Jan. 2010
7 Marvel vs. Capcom 2 83.5 85/100 PS3 82/100 X360 July 2009
8 Tekken 6 79.5 79/100 PS3 80/100 X360 Oct. 2009
9 Street Fighter II' Hyper Fighting 76 76/100 X360 - Aug. 2006

After checking this out, do you agree with Marvel vs. Capcom 3's placement on this chart? How do you think it stacks up with the games above and below it? Leave a comment below with your thoughts.

Comments

ShadowKnight28 said on March 7, 2011 at 12:22 a.m.

Let the crying and whining begin...

kakattekina said on March 7, 2011 at 12:23 a.m.

85 seems pretty generous considering how unfinished the game is

Struggs said on March 7, 2011 at 12:36 a.m.

Dead on. For the average person MVC3 seems unfinished, the fighting is good, but there's a serious lack of modes and just not as much polish on the final product as the SF4 games.

The review scores are a good reflection of this. There should have been more meat on the MVC3 bone and it would have been right up there with SF4. Spec mode, better online options, not so many bugs in the online play, etc.

SF4 raised the bar when it came out, so the review for it is right to be high, by the time MVC3 came out everyone expected more and got let down. 85 is a good score... not great. Most reviews complained about the lack of options and buggy online play, so it's something Capcom should work on and should get right the next time out of the gate if they want a higher score, not something patched in later or added as DLC.

his1nightmare said on March 7, 2011 at 12:42 a.m.

This list withstands all effects of logic.

monkeydhugo said on March 7, 2011 at 12:47 a.m.

good to know

MisguidedAngel said on March 7, 2011 at 12:53 a.m.

Yeah, 85 seems generous even. The games above it are definitely superior games in almost every sense. Don't get me wrong, I still love Marvel; but it does feel unfinished.

Oroku_Saki said on March 7, 2011 at 12:58 a.m.

Super MvC 3:Heralds To True Perfection [>_>] should be number 3, if Capcom ever decides to make it.
Good info to know.

MrPavy said on March 7, 2011 at 1:07 a.m.

yes imo mvc3 seemed rushed if capcom Added more familiar characters and make the online a little better/

1.mvc3 isnt as hype as 2 imo

2.instead of being infinite'd we got xfactor so anyone and their grandma can pull off 100%

3.the cast on the marvel side is alittle boring

4.online sucks

Phynx said on March 7, 2011 at 1:09 a.m.

The only thing I disagree with is BB:CS being higher.

cvs said on March 7, 2011 at 1:14 a.m.

I agree with BB:CS being higher.

CHMOD said on March 7, 2011 at 2:03 a.m.

85 is really good, I didn't really expect it to place that high considering the various hitches that need to be rectified. Although some may not agree with BB:CS getting a higher score it's a much more complete game but I will give MVC3 sometime to catch up as it's still young. Overall MVC3 is a fun game just can't seem get consistent online matches, which is my major gripe with the game...10 min to find a ranked match is too long.

Buttery_Scoop said on March 7, 2011 at 2:25 a.m.

^ Ya, I lose my excitement for the game every time I want to play online. I don't want to have to wait till 4AM just to find consistent ranked matches.. the game itself is a blast tho.

lechugosoxo said on March 7, 2011 at 2:27 a.m.

Yeah SF4 did a general comeback in 2-d fighters so it takes the cake, while 3 years latter mvc3 gets here and we receive a very unfinished game. It is very cool i agree, maybe more people are playing it rather than ssf4, but it doesn't mean it beats sf.

I seriously think that Mortal Kombat will be the true street fighter competitor, since the first time i saw MK trailer i knew we had the 90s coming back.

And i hope sfxtekken to be as good as ssf4. 85 is the exact score for the game.

SchmidtNurFace said on March 7, 2011 at 2:28 a.m.

Im on the fence. BBCS and SSFIV are both re iterations of a previous game so of course they are more polished and have a high score, the first gen of the two titles were like rough drafts. MvC3 atm yeah I believe deserves that score but that doesn't mean that it cant be made right. We have patching for that. MvC3 isnt MvC2 just like every street fighter is different its a new game. I do believe x factor is a good idea but needs to be adjusted to make it more viable in the tournament sense, (Its just a little crazy maybe loose the damage boost and keep everything else the same.) I do feel most characters are us able which is amazing and yes I would love a spectator mode but online play for fighting games has never been that great even with the best internet connections. So adding that would possibly make the game un playable in larger rooms. So all in all lets hope that in the long run they patch it up and play doctor so we can see this game become a 10/10. =)

Shadoken said on March 7, 2011 at 2:39 a.m.

VF4 - 94
VF5 - 89

4 must be lucky number for SF and VF series lol....

Grimmjow316 said on March 7, 2011 at 2:39 a.m.

surprised SSF4 got a lower score than SF4 should be higher.

holmes15688 said on March 7, 2011 at 3:29 a.m.

xShonuffx said on March 7, 2011 at 3:56 a.m.

@16 SFIV was the first Street Fighter game to come out after a very long time and it did very well but when you come out with an update you expect it to have the same features and more. Instead some features were opted out over others so it got a lower score.

Also people need to stop associating the ratings with characters. There are like 40 characters; and im sure they are all different enough to satisfy the average gamer. If you look at the negetives of these reviews, the primary beef was that it did'nt have enough features to keep the average gamer interested.

You can cry "legacy" and "Depth" all you want but if the game don't have enough bells and whistles to matter, all the DHC's and Frame Advantages won't save MvC3 from a low score.

SaikyoRyu said on March 7, 2011 at 4 a.m.

I think MVC3 is generally an awesome game, unfinished true, but there's only one real flaw I care about. It's too fast! It's like Starcraft 2 the fighting game only everything happening on one screen.

I've only watched a few online games on this site 'cause I feel a bit unwell and totally overwhelmed with everything happening on screen. Even playing it myself it can be overwhelming trying to do everything at once.

SSF4 and SF4 are better in that regard. Sure people say it's so slow, but you can play a lot faster and do just as well and have a ton more fun.

MVC3 is better input wise tho. It's a LOT more friendly to newbies (dragon punch motion aside) since most things are quater circle attack or quarter circle attack attack. The super inputs make like so much easier. It's also got an awesome array of characters (which is why I bought and still play it).

All it needs is to be a bit slower, have a vs AI mode (NOT in training) and (from what I hear from this site) better online.

Sol_Badguy said on March 7, 2011 at 4:11 a.m.

Review scores don't really matter for fighting games. Only good players would be able to give ideal reviews for fighting games due to experience and knowledge of the genre and the community, but there are almost none out there who do this for a living. Richard Li from 1UP is probably the only exception.

PSNmignon15 said on March 7, 2011 at 4:14 a.m.

@SaikyoRyu:
Marvel wouldn't be what it is if it was slower. I think the game goes pretty fast too, but obviously some people can handle the pace. I've only played Tekken 2 and 3 when I was young and Super was my first "serious" fighting game, so I'm not very experienced with fighters, but I don't really think MvC3 is too fast. It's very fast, true, but that's what makes it unique to me.

Maybe you just need to learn more about the game? :(

Paine said on March 7, 2011 at 4:16 a.m.

What the? Marvel is supposed to be fast. Learn to keep up really.

This game was lucky to get an 85. As stated before, it was rushed out the door. It is missing key features (some may call them spoils because of SSF4, but I consider them pretty standard, borderline necessary) like spectator mode and theater. Why I believe Blazblue deserves that spot is that it has a very good lobby; easy to skip over rather than fighting someone who is standing still or someone who forgot to click y the second they joined. The network code is god like and not once have I experienced delay. It felt a lot more complete than MvC3.

MALDA said on March 7, 2011 at 4:23 a.m.

PSNmignon15 said on March 7, 2011 at 4:28 a.m.

@MALDA:
That doesn't necessarily make it a good or bad game though. :D

mortal said on March 7, 2011 at 4:43 a.m.

SSF4 > SF4 in my point of view. Better balance overall.
MVC3, i'm just beginning it, it looks great but as said, unfinished, especially for the online, where it's just.. Crap
(not replay, no spectate, hard to find player.. the basics established by SSF4.

MALDA said on March 7, 2011 at 4:52 a.m.

Skaz9000 said on March 7, 2011 at 5:21 a.m.

Sounds about right, except SSF4 being lower than SF4. *Shrug*

I also agree about MvC3 feeling slightly unfinished and surprise at its rating. Guess this will keep the debate between MvC3 and TvC steady.

Baseless speculation ahoy!: Tekken 6 no doubt included in the list due to upcoming SFxT/TxSF, but BlazBlue ... Arcsys vs Capcom maybe?? /unrealistic hopes

LastRambo341 said on March 7, 2011 at 5:51 a.m.

LOL @ #3

85 IS a great score, a 70 is a GOOD score.

I think the game deserves a 9. Gotta love the complainers who call it an "unfinished game", lol

MALDA said on March 7, 2011 at 6:34 a.m.

Kenshiro said on March 7, 2011 at 6:34 a.m.

It is lacking the basics for online play. You might know that if you didn't play with yourself all the time.

SirDigger said on March 7, 2011 at 6:46 a.m.

my opinion is that all the sf4 titles are and will be more or less awesome, but always very good. Mvc3 will probably be about as popular as SF4 when our beloved "metagame" has developed a bit more, but only time can show.

gam3fr33k said on March 7, 2011 at 6:55 a.m.

Well to be fair... vanilla's online was pretty garbage compared to marvel and it's the highest rated. No replays, no lobbies if I remember correctly and you had to pay $40 to get those features. Still, I would think the stuff implemented in ssf4 would be a given at this point.

MALDA said on March 7, 2011 at 6:58 a.m.

MALDA said on March 7, 2011 at 7:01 a.m.

Combo_Knight said on March 7, 2011 at 7:11 a.m.

MvC2 should be on Top. [ IMHO]
MvC3
SF2THDR
Blazblue CS
SF2HF
T6
and
TvC

SF4 Vanilla doesn't need to be in those standings.

Teh_5_Point_Ohh said on March 7, 2011 at 7:29 a.m.

MVC3 is they just need to tweak a few things. I don't mind the knock down on ground and combo because you could do it in 2 just reduce the time that you lay on the ground. Nothing pisses me off more in this game than people who are late on their combos and still finish it. If you mess it up you mess it up no 2nd chance. They also should of kept tech-rolling idk why they didn't it would change the gameplay mechanics up and force people to know their stuff. I could drink a 2ltr soda through this delayed combo bs.

Hulk needs to be tweaked as well. His over-head smash has so much priority its not even funny almost invincible besides projectiles knocking him out of it. I could be behind hulk when he does it and it still hits me.

They also need to change the partner tag out input to just 2 buttons or have an option to your preference. This gets me killed when I say for the partner to come in but instead they come as an assist.

The_Rock said on March 7, 2011 at 7:34 a.m.

The worst SF's on top, typical. Am I shocked in this day and age of the scrub? Not at all.

RunningWild said on March 7, 2011 at 7:45 a.m.

Minkala said on March 7, 2011 at 8:06 a.m.

@The_Rock Lol cuz you're probly just soooo good right? How can anyone hate scrubs, it's free points boys.

InitialR said on March 7, 2011 at 8:07 a.m.

KautheLion said on March 7, 2011 at 8:27 a.m.

If you're gonna include Tekken then include Soul Calibur. The orignal has a Metacritic of 98 and SCIV still holds up with an 85. And what about Third Strike? 84.

Wolfeyes187 said on March 7, 2011 at 8:31 a.m.

I don't think mvc3 will get patched with the way the interviews are going. We may get dlc characters/shadow-mode but for better modes we may have to wait for the next game. Then all that dlc we bought will go right into the trash.

Batsu said on March 7, 2011 at 8:42 a.m.

List seems fine, except MVC2 should be right after SSF2T HD Remix.

LastRambo341 said on March 7, 2011 at 9:08 a.m.

Sorry #29 MALDA

MVC3 is a 9. Period

DarknessFallz said on March 7, 2011 at 9:32 a.m.

I agree that mvc3 got an accurate score I just disagree with sf4 being highest out of all those game if anything ssf4 should be higher than sf4, seems wrong even if the diff is 2 points with more content and some balance tweaks it deserved higher than sf4. Tekken is rightfully at the 2nd to last rung.

Sophrosyne said on March 7, 2011 at 9:35 a.m.

Much like it did from SF4 to SSF4, right?

MALDA said on March 7, 2011 at 9:42 a.m.

HypahVypah said on March 7, 2011 at 10:07 a.m.

Tekken 6 got such a low score on account of its unplayable netcode at launch. Same for KoFXII.

MvC3 should be no exception.

Great game, plays like a mentally retarded child with nubs for fingers online.

H3XxMAjiN said on March 7, 2011 at 10:38 a.m.

i happy about bb:cs. ark put a sh*tload of effort into that game's structure and balance. i say it should be of top

SJDevs said on March 7, 2011 at 10:49 a.m.

I think it's a pretty good spot.

SJDevs said on March 7, 2011 at 10:52 a.m.

I agree that it's a bit unfinished. Hopefully they Locke's Socks that game up!

The_Rock said on March 7, 2011 at 11:05 a.m.

/careface @ Minkala

Pig_Red said on March 7, 2011 at 11:06 a.m.

BlazBlue is a better mashfest than MvC3. The characters are awful, but it has a much better engine if you're into facerolling buttons until you get a 250-hit combo. It also has far superior online because it uses GGPO-style netcode. It should be rated higher than MvC3.

Wolfeyes187 said on March 7, 2011 at 11:08 a.m.

#47 Exactly like that.

AeriALs said on March 7, 2011 at 11:33 a.m.

Lol #19 sc2 is a joke compared to brood war speed wise. This game is slower than mvc2 as well, all made to cater to everyone sadly :(

MetalxHealthx said on March 7, 2011 at 11:35 a.m.

looks right to me tbh, only thing that surprised me was that SF4 was above SSF4 i guess it makes sense in sales but if this is a review SSF4 > vanilla only things it lost was gallery mode...
lol @ sf4 haters, people just love to complain. no matter what game there are always people who have nothing but negative things to say. be happy that there are a plethora of fighting games to play and quit b*tching, enjoy your sh*t and stop trying to hold others down.

MetalxHealthx said on March 7, 2011 at 11:36 a.m.

there is* lol

JanTheMan said on March 7, 2011 at 11:48 a.m.

Lol... SF4 was mainly praised for it's artistic graphics and relaxed inputs, no reviewer mention Sagat and his OPness...

Scott610 said on March 7, 2011 at 11:56 a.m.

The reason SF4 is rated higher than SSF4 is because it was reviewed first. If SF4 received 9/10 upon being released, SSF4 would have needed a 10/10 to score better, which most sites are reluctant to give out regularly to maintain credibility.

For example, Ocarina of Time might have better reviews than later Zelda games which had more features because it was so groundbreaking.

Although I rarely go there anymore, Game Revolution gives an excellent primer to why it grades as it does:

"Also remember that all games are graded when they are brand new, and are judged based on the state of gaming at that time. We assume that most aspects of gameplay (especially sound and graphics) will improve over time, and we grade accordingly. Unlike movies, a sequel must be better than the original in order to receive the same grade."

MALDA said on March 7, 2011 at 12:39 p.m.

Dr_Robotnik said on March 7, 2011 at 12:49 p.m.

with the exception of vanilla SF4 being higher than super (which scott610 already explained why), this is perfect.

Cyb said on March 7, 2011 at 12:49 p.m.

I think 8.5 sounds about right. Game is pretty much barebones, with poor implementation of story, lack of extra features and different modes. Other significant issues are poor netcode and minor glitches. The complete game felt a bit rush in comparison to SFIV. I don't think we'll get a more complete version of MVC3 as it doesn't appear to be doing very good in terms of sales.

Sol_Badguy said on March 7, 2011 at 12:53 p.m.

I'm surprised it took so long for someone to bring that up, especially after all the comments made about why certain games should not have a lower score or why certain games should be at the top. Anyone who has followed reviews should know this, but many people here clearly do not. It says a lot, really.

ShinZero said on March 7, 2011 at 1:30 p.m.

My only problem with MvC3 is honestly the lack of spectator mode and replays. That should just be a standard for fighting games where the emphasis is online play. Capcom raised that bar with SSF4, I dont know how they could think fans wouldn't want it here too.

Other then that, I dont really consider this game "bare bones". It has everything ive ever come to expect from a fighter. The meat and potatoes of any fighter is right here. With a direct portal to competition. (My XBL experience has been great, fast match making and very little lag)

People who need a bunch of pointless fluff in their games should check out MK or stick with smash bros. Capcom started taking this crap out with vanilla SF4. Did you see time trial or survival mode in SSF4? No? Because the only people who did it, did so to boost achievements. There was an entire article on this very site about how to boost those achievements with Zangief.

Then they re-added the car crush and barrel mini-games with an option to turn it off because people get annoyed with that too.

Id much rather they focus on making the game play awesome (and it is) and leave out the fluff. Nobody cares about the fluff a month after release anyway. I mean, when was the last time you compared your car crush scores to your buddies online? Or did you just get the achievement and never bother again?

THawk said on March 7, 2011 at 1:39 p.m.

MvC3 deserves lower. Game is unfinished and to be honest... a major disappointment.

GeeK said on March 7, 2011 at 1:49 p.m.

I for one will never ever understand why the VF series don't get any love what so ever.

Geez, at least people actually hate SC... VF just gets completely ignored.

Ruiz said on March 7, 2011 at 1:50 p.m.

I'm not exactly understanding why everybody says that SSFIV should be higher rated than Vanilla. These scores are in respect to the content that the game offered during the TIME PERIOD that it was released. The fact that SSFIV is already based on original content (Vanilla) and was released over a year after is more than reason enough for the score to be lower. More content and features has to be released to negate the score. Considering that SSFIV is only TWO points behind Vanilla, it goes without saying that it delivered well on new content and features. The scores are fine, even the generous MVC3 score.

MALDA said on March 7, 2011 at 1:53 p.m.

Wolfeyes187 said on March 7, 2011 at 2:51 p.m.

Man I wish they would have put hulks son Skaar in mvc3. That would have been crazy. But yea, mvc3 should be about a 8 without spec and record.

spotlesseden said on March 7, 2011 at 3:42 p.m.

i think the 85 average is kind of high for mvc3.

sgb said on March 7, 2011 at 7:10 p.m.

I'm not sure HD Remix deserves high 80s when Hyper Fighting had under 80. A well done rehash is still a rehash. And yes, MvC3 seems to be heavily overrated. Looking at the whole package, it is pretty barebones compared to SSF4 and Blazblue.

umad said on March 7, 2011 at 7:14 p.m.

yes, the ratings pretty true.

brawl>>>MvC3

JELIFISH19 said on March 7, 2011 at 7:18 p.m.

SF4, the highest rated game on the list did not have the exact same features that MvC3 is "missing." DOA4 and VF5 both had replay options and DOA4 had lobbies. SF4 came out and didn't have those features that older games had but it still rated extremely high.

boulderabuser said on March 7, 2011 at 8 p.m.

Yes............... a game should get higher rating just because it includes a replay option and lobbies.

ajch22 said on March 7, 2011 at 8:32 p.m.

SF2 Hyper Fighting and MVC2 should be higher, people should consider that the technology during the time these games were made was very lacking, and they still manage to out stand among the other games. And I don't think that SF4 should be over SSF4, the second one is a literal improvement from the first one. MVC3 is meh, not a decade living game, but it has the essentials, good fighting capabilities, good online (though you need to be smart to get your matches quick) and a good set of variety when speaking of characters, though for a casual player, it could be considered really lacking in content (wouldn't be surprised if someone expected a homerun contest).

jdigitalseven said on March 7, 2011 at 9:21 p.m.

Capcom vs SNK 3 needs to be done 2.5D style....that may be fighting game perfection

jdigitalseven said on March 7, 2011 at 9:27 p.m.

LOL...SSFIV is not that much different from SFIV....plus they added the oddball SF3 3rd suck characters which have no connection to any other SF game...I'd rather have Hakan's wife as a playable character then any of those rejects....but cashcom had to appease the few SF3 fans who probably only like it because it had "hip" music. (Eventhough it tanked SF for years)

Gojiguy said on March 7, 2011 at 9:29 p.m.

TvC>>>>>>>>MvC3

RKW said on March 8, 2011 at 12:40 a.m.

Only played it for an hour or so at a local gaming centre, but a friend of mine had played for about 3 hours before me and he was pulling the combo's I see on the tourney streams.

Last few games he beat me with Sentinel using chip damage, X-factor and supers, I had lost the game about 20 seconds before I got KO'd.

Things I didn't like: Advance guard/X Factor/Starting with a full bar/100% combo's/Projectile spam.

Grimmjow316 said on March 8, 2011 at 1:50 a.m.

@umad....... I agree.... ow my pride :p

LastRambo341 said on March 8, 2011 at 6:14 a.m.

@MALDA #48

Then screw those people?

MALDA said on March 8, 2011 at 7:47 a.m.

Combo_Knight said on March 8, 2011 at 8:56 a.m.

MvC2>SF3:Third Strike>MvC1=MvC3 >>CvS2>>>>>>>>SSB:Melee>>Shaq fu>>SSF4>TvC>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>BlazBlue:CS>BlazBlue:CT>>>>>>>Brawl. That is my hierarchyMvC3 Needs, a little bit more Variety for it to shine like it's Older brother MvC2. And that's all I need. I don't need replays at all. Or a spectator mode for that matter. It makes the battles better because you can't prepare for your upcoming match by spectating from afar.

(better now that it's at the right place RofL)

LastRambo341 said on March 8, 2011 at 10:01 a.m.

MALDA