Marvel vs. Capcom 3's producer talks characters for possible sequel

Posted by Jonathan 'Catalyst' Grey • March 6, 2011 at 4:19 a.m. PST
Marvel vs. Capcom 3's producer talks characters for possible sequel AndriaSang.com translated a 4Gamer.net post talking with Marvel vs. Capcom 3's producer, Ryota Niitsuma, and he discusses characters he'd like to see in a possible sequel. Here's a cut.

Niitsuma first responded that he's a personal fan of the Vampire/Darkstalkers series, and he'd really wanted to put more character from the series in MVC3. He'd also like to put an additional character from the Mega Man series.

Asked about what franchises he'd like to include, Niitsuma mentioned Rival Schools. He'd wanted to put characters from this classic Capcom franchise into MVC3. However, this didn't happen for a couple of reasons: going by popularity, the selected characters would end up being Hadouken/Shoryuken style characters, and the series isn't all that well known outside of Japan.

Other characters Niitsuma had wanted to include in MVC3 were Venom and Gambit from the Marvel side.

Also, more of the interview was translated by Professor on the MMCafe.com forums, spotted via IPW, and Ryota dishes some info on the spectator system, among other things.

Ryota: "We threw in all the elements including ranking match, free match, rankings and the lobby, but we couldn't add in a spectator mode.

4Gamer: "Was it because of technical issues?"

Ryota: "That's correct. This title is a 3-on-3 and the game speed is very fast, so the volume of communication data is larger than in SSF4. Even if we added in all those kinds of systems, they'd be no good if the matches were full of lags.

4gamer: "Looking at it from the outside, we'd assume that throwing in the mode would have been easy since you guys have already done that in SSF4, but it's apparently not."

Ryota: "No. But I thought so in the beginning too (laughs)."

Comments

MistaKoo said on March 6, 2011 at 4:28 a.m.

Someone remind me, is Akira a shotoclone?

Also who cares about people outside Japan!11

OffDaCh3n3y said on March 6, 2011 at 4:33 a.m.

Which Akira? From Rival Schools?

brasssmunkye said on March 6, 2011 at 4:35 a.m.

if you're playin' against tron, you can have tea and crumpets.

MistaKoo said on March 6, 2011 at 4:35 a.m.

Yep Akira Kazama, IIRC she plays totally different.

mp91 said on March 6, 2011 at 4:39 a.m.

some character didn't make it because of their lack of popularity!!!! yeah right, cause modok, dorm and other new characters was such a fan request, they're a nice add thought

OffDaCh3n3y said on March 6, 2011 at 4:42 a.m.

Batsu was the Ryu of Rival Schools

Endgame said on March 6, 2011 at 5:05 a.m.

#5 Styles of gameplay is a priority over popularity, remember that.

Don't want every character having the same exact moves but with different names.

MALDA said on March 6, 2011 at 5:10 a.m.

Kurow said on March 6, 2011 at 5:16 a.m.

Ok so he want to make Super Marvel vs Capcom 3???? OK that is good.

zombiebrian said on March 6, 2011 at 5:20 a.m.

I'd prefer'd if they actually finished the game the first time around but i look fwd to paying another £40 for something i should have got this time around.

LordTerminal said on March 6, 2011 at 5:57 a.m.

Oh c'mon Niitsuma. Don't pull that old gimmick again. I'm getting real sick of hearing the haters on YouTube saying stuff like "Capcom only cares about money" and crap like that.

Just get those characters out for DLC. Or are you trolling again because if you are, please stop that. It's only making things worse.

EDGEucator said on March 6, 2011 at 6 a.m.

As long as Hyper MvC3 is $40 , i don't give a f**k lol.

Give us 【MEGAMAN X 】& 【BB HOOD】 also.

(And spectator mode , even if it lags.)

Ex_Ein said on March 6, 2011 at 6:18 a.m.

Edge no f*ck that, f*ck bb and f*uk X you know why? Because you're advocating spending 40 dollars

two capcom charaters:jin(I want that taunt once more) and BoF:dragon quarter ryu

Two Marvel charaters: SG and warmachine

Ex_Ein said on March 6, 2011 at 6:21 a.m.

And just incase you're wonder: I'm only thinking of shuma so in total if all 4 of my selections got in id only use 25 dollars

Ex_Ein said on March 6, 2011 at 6:30 a.m.

Saito and everyone else
I think when Niitsuma says sequel I think he actually means MVC4 which will take another 2 and a half years of actual dev WHEN HE GETS THE GREEN LIGHT and that will probably be a while since marvel is going to be busy seeing how the movies go.

Lavama said on March 6, 2011 at 6:41 a.m.

Hey, people who don't want to buy Hyper MvC3.

Here's a key word. SEQUEL. NOT UPDATE. SUPER STREET FIGHTER 4 IS AN *UPDATE*, I REPEAT, *UPDATE*. Besides, why would Capcom bring the Street Fighter tradition over the MvC3 when they can do like they used to and spit out new ones every year reusing the same old Character Models?

zombiebrian said on March 6, 2011 at 6:42 a.m.

I dont think so EX_Ein i wouldnt be surprised if they are already at work on a new version of mvc3 there were rumors even before the release of this game that this was only the first release. Lets face it mvc3 feels unfinished and has allot missing so its screaming for a update.

As for dlc i dont think capcom likes that direction. I wouldnt be surprised if AE came out on a disc tbh

genesiskhan said on March 6, 2011 at 6:59 a.m.

rival schools would have been awesome and it was extremely popular between me and my friends although they were all asisan lol but its a great game and i would love to see the principal or batsu or even tiffany and her boyfriend roy would be awesome and about the spectator mode rofl about how they thought it would just relate hey i think we all did but it sounds as if there wont be any so s$%# talkin gonna be the main stay in lobbies oh well

MALDA said on March 6, 2011 at 7:04 a.m.

J said on March 6, 2011 at 7:09 a.m.

Akira/Edge would have been AWESOME.

Basically anyone from Rival Schools except Batsu (and Kyosuke maybe, he was in CvS2 already).

Existent said on March 6, 2011 at 7:11 a.m.

@zombiebrian
There isn't enough content to justify a disc release. 4 characters and sound tracks doesn't add up. DLC is the only solution.

RedRapperSux said on March 6, 2011 at 7:31 a.m.

They are really milking this fighting game resurgence. With releasing basically unfinished games and making you pay for characters that should have been already on the disc. (From my knowledge... two already are.) AND hinting at sequels ontop of all the fighting games already announced??? Why is this okay?

kirbykirbykirby said on March 6, 2011 at 7:47 a.m.

It would have been nice to have rival schools and powerstone characters since it is a capcom fighter. I hope they do make an mvc4 in like two years and really represent both companies better. They really depended mainly for this game to sell by just putting the number 3 at the end of the title. Everyone knows this game doesn't feel complete especially the online mode.

Adamjoseph64 said on March 6, 2011 at 8 a.m.

I think people need to stop over reacting with him mentioning a sequel. If Capcom has already started adding more characters to MvC3 as DLC then they are not saving them for a new game, as they would hold them back to put in the new game instead.

Capcom has also started adding new modes with Shadow mode and the titles hint at a Events mode being added as well so this will be a game that by the end of the year will probably have 4 or 5 new modes through DLC.

Capcom probably will release a game of the year edition (or something similar to that, "Tournament Edition" has a nice ring to it) that will include all the DLC characters, modes and patches to the game, but a sequel would just annoy the fanbase and their next game fighting game (Darkstalkers?) would be ignored by the fans waiting for the Updated version to come out a year later, leading to poor sales.

I'm starting to waffle so I'll sum it up: Lots of DLC, Goty edition but no sequel as it annoys the fanbase, Darkstalkers.

zombiebrian said on March 6, 2011 at 8:03 a.m.

@Existent
Who said 4 chars and sound track is all there adding?
Were talking more chars, more backgrounds, more music, more modes and with any luck a better netcode. If hes talking about a significant sequel it will be on disc

SmokeRulz said on March 6, 2011 at 8:03 a.m.

Batsu for DLC!

Please? ;_;

Mangosentennial said on March 6, 2011 at 8:03 a.m.

MVC3: Arcade Edition lol

Adamjoseph64 said on March 6, 2011 at 8:10 a.m.

Also forgot to mention what's more important about this story to me: The fact that both the producer of the game AND the fans want Gambit and Venom in MvC3. With the producer and fans pushing for the characters Marvel will more than likely give the go ahead to put them in. Hurray for Venom and Gambit!

And for all the fans wanting Megaman X Nitsuma noting that he wants one more Megaman character in the game is a very good sign that he could get the go ahead as DLC.

Wardog said on March 6, 2011 at 8:20 a.m.

What about the Onimusha series? there's alot of sweet characters in that game.

LearningFast said on March 6, 2011 at 8:23 a.m.

Pure BS Super Marvel vs Capcom 3 will have spectator mode believe it

JEABOI said on March 6, 2011 at 8:23 a.m.

Possible sequel? Now I know I wasted 74.99 on a collectors edition of an incomplete game.

naters said on March 6, 2011 at 8:25 a.m.

I don't think batsu is gonna be in mvc3 mainly because I remember when they did have an interview with this guy they said that they were tryin to keep some of the characters sperate in this game meaning like some characters are only for tvc while others are only for mvc3 so maybe we might see him in tvc2 if it's even made :/

47drift said on March 6, 2011 at 8:41 a.m.

A sequel? To a Capcom Vs game? When they already said a large amount of DLC is possible?

How low can you go, Niitsuma?

Existent said on March 6, 2011 at 8:55 a.m.

@zombiebrian
Who said that they -are- adding anything else? There is nothing to indicate that. If there is it's news to me.

z0j0227 said on March 6, 2011 at 9:12 a.m.

Much rather than a sequel, I'd rather have it all as dlc this time around if possible. Sorry, but I'm one of the advocates of it. I think in this day and age, thats how you extend the life of a game. DLC and patches.

I just don't like the implications of a sequel and the game isn't even a month old. It sounds like they just thought of some stuff and were like "Hey, you know what we should've done..."

L said on March 6, 2011 at 9:37 a.m.

Strictly technically speaking, the fact that MVC3 is "fast" doesn't mean spectator mode is impossible. The same number of button presses and joystick motions get translated fine in SSF4.

I bet they developed themselves into a corner with the approach they took and shot themselves in the foot. Pretty disappointing.

orderofmerlin said on March 6, 2011 at 9:44 a.m.

I'm just happy that we're still getting fighting games. It's been ten years so I don't really mind if they keep giving us new things.

what would really be bad is if Nitsuma suddenly announced that mvc3 didn't sell well enough and this is the end of the road. lol

so yeah, no complaints here. =3

mndy said on March 6, 2011 at 10:04 a.m.

Maybe I'm overreacting, but I really hope that quote isn't implying that there will never be spectator mode in Marvel 3. Last I heard there were plans to patch it in "sometime soon" after release. I don't mean to sound ungrateful, but I kind of want to know how soon.

The game is great, but having no spectator mode absolutely kills hype. Let's say my friends and I can't get together, so we decide to just play online. Two of us can have an awesome match and everyone else has to watch two player cards knocking together. It does not get more anti-hype than that.

Hotdiddykong said on March 6, 2011 at 10:20 a.m.

Creativity and styles of gameplay Comes first, Popularity comes second
"Waste of slot" is little kid talk, nobody is a waste of a slot, especially if they are NOT clones, and have their own creative moves, *cough*Modok*cough*

Grimmjow316 said on March 6, 2011 at 10:50 a.m.

Man you should see SRK trashing him over spectator mode considering COD has it an a ton more crazy sh!t is going on. This game took a stop backwards in some areas it feels like if it were sf4 when it first came out don't get why there's no replay channel neither.

freshprince said on March 6, 2011 at 10:51 a.m.

Put shoma from rival schools!! And also the girl from Dino crisis!!

icejohn said on March 6, 2011 at 10:51 a.m.

Venom and Gambit baby

Ether said on March 6, 2011 at 10:54 a.m.

I might just wait for Street Fighter X Tekken, or should I just wait for Super Street Fighter X Tekken?

SpinningBirdKick said on March 6, 2011 at 10:55 a.m.

Wow! I never realized how many professional network fighting game developers we have on this site!

Remster said on March 6, 2011 at 11:14 a.m.

@13 Troll? Or you really want to pay $25-40 for a palette swap

Zero254 said on March 6, 2011 at 11:28 a.m.

I'd rather pay 40 dollars for a new game than 40 dollars for 8 characters and no new modes as dlc.

zombiebrian said on March 6, 2011 at 11:41 a.m.

@Existent

The article were commenting on hints strongly at a sequel it'd be a pretty crappy sequel if it had none of these things and if there really gonna charge us £5 a pop per char id prefer to have it on a disc and only cost a fraction of the price.

cvs said on March 6, 2011 at 12:08 p.m.

So,4 marvel vs capcom games but only 2 (3 if svc chaos counts to you which it does for me) capcom vs snk games?

Existent said on March 6, 2011 at 12:10 p.m.

What are you talking about? The article is about MvC3. You said that you wouldn't be surprised if AE came on a disc, and I responded to that.

MetroidG said on March 6, 2011 at 12:10 p.m.

i want a tvc2 first because I still like the tvc style with mega crash and tatsu cast. I'm alright if they decide to make a super mvc3 because that's basically what all genre's seem to do. Especially shooting games like call of duty.

Ex_Ein said on March 6, 2011 at 12:11 p.m.

@zombiebrian
Unless it's offical don't believer rumors remember the first few leak list like that people like Spider-woman were suppose to be in the game? Anyway It feels complete to me(I only play Arcade mode,Mission Mode and Ranked mode, I'm thinking of buying Shadow mode 1). I got my squads and feel like the only real person I'm missing is Shuma OH WAIT! *holds up 5 dollars*

@Remster
Last time I checked:
Neither Jin or Shumma are a Platte swap nor have I seen any character play like Jin or Shuma so far in MVC3.

RYU from >Breath of Fire:Dragon Quarter< DEFIANTLY isn't like any character in the game, the closest would be probably Dante(because he can change into an alternate visbable form that makes him faster and stronger, but unlike Dante he only can use his claws, dragon's breath)

Squirrel girl is basically going to be the deadly Joke character to go against Deadpool's Zany-ness, especially if they play up their relationship from the comics(she hates him, he wants her to the point he has boxer shorts with her face on them) like they did with Steve(Cap) & Tony(The IRON MAN pilot), Ororo & Erik, Phoenix & Wolverine

that's 20 bucks for 2 new and 2 returning characters that play like no one else

NOW WAR MACHINE, while in the last 3 marvel games that Ironman and or Warmachine have been in(Marvel Super Heroes, MVC1,MVC2) and in the beginning of the second movie they made him basically a black Iron Man with a high low projectile. In the comics War Machine has changed so much and has a vastly different arsenal that he utilizes on such a regular basis it's kinda hard to call him anything like Iron Man this include Machine guns mounted within his upper arms(Never used in Marvel vs Games yet), Chain gun on his shoulder(Never used in Marvel vs Games yet), and also they haven't used his bad ass ability to now absorb machinery on to his own body thus being able to make this:
or This

thats my 25 dollars!

Weaponx said on March 6, 2011 at 12:16 p.m.

http://www.destructoid.com/frank-west... Might be new characters in MvsC3.. worth checking out?

zombiebrian said on March 6, 2011 at 12:47 p.m.

I was suggesting in addition to mvc3.2 being on disc that ae might turn up on disc. You focused on that hence the confusion.

zombiebrian said on March 6, 2011 at 12:49 p.m.

@weaponx the guy who posted has apparently posted fakes before so imma say fake

fineyoungcanibal said on March 6, 2011 at 12:51 p.m.

Ya lets talk sequels when they can't even put out a complete game to begin with. F'ing capcom man... Like hell I'll be buying another update/dlc sold as a full game like ssf4 did.

Andyford12 said on March 6, 2011 at 1:12 p.m.

I stopped listening to niitsuma. After everything that went on before the games release hes a giant troll in my eyes. And his shadow clone is bad lol

terror said on March 6, 2011 at 2:05 p.m.

soooo no spectator mode?

DestinyZX1 said on March 6, 2011 at 2:05 p.m.

"and the series isn't all that well known outside of Japan."

That's BS. I loved Rival Schools. Niitsuma is even more douchy than I thought.

Though I would prefer Ono as we know he admits to trolling but its fun.

Raiden365 said on March 6, 2011 at 2:35 p.m.

Rival Schools not popular outside of Japan? Is he kidding? That's one thing you'll remember Capcom for.

lmarshalljr04 said on March 6, 2011 at 2:45 p.m.

LMAO, I guess i made the right decision to NOT buy MVC3 when they are going make MVC3: Championship Edition anyway...

Utils said on March 6, 2011 at 3:05 p.m.

Shoma from Rival School'as would have been perfect.

Him said on March 6, 2011 at 3:12 p.m.

Of course he wants to make a sequel. Even I wouldnt try to complete a work that isnt mines.If Iwas Ono, I would've canned the MvC3 project when Keiji left Capcom and work on something thats entirely his. Much respect to you Ono, I know you know we dont like the game, so Keep up with that real sequel....We are waiting

NWAndroid said on March 6, 2011 at 4:40 p.m.

Two things I've learned from the internet.

1. Everyone knows more about developing than developers.
2. When you wish for things they should come true. And if they don't come true, the appropriate reaction is to rant and rave after you've bought the product (knowing full well what you were buying).

Shoutouts to the internet.

Sektah84 said on March 6, 2011 at 4:57 p.m.

hyo and deigo from rival schools were to of my favriote characters heres hoping they make it as dlc but im sure mvc3 part 2 will happen eventually capcom knows how to milk its franchise and the said part is ill purchase it

Shazaam1205 said on March 6, 2011 at 4:59 p.m.

Unless I'm mistaken, they did promise us more DLC characters and spectator mode. This post makes it seem like those aren't going to happen, or, if they do happen, that it will be in a sequel that won't be out for a few years. It feels like we've been sold an unfinished product, which is why people are upset. Hell, I'm upset. They're making it harder for us fans to defend them as a company.

NWAndroid said on March 6, 2011 at 5:08 p.m.

The game has been out roughly a month, and you bought it. It sucks, but it is what it is. You spent money on potential, not the actual game. I don't remember spectator mode being promised by anyone (I will gladly accept proof), just that they were attempting to find a way to get it to work.

Wishes aren't guarantees. Just like there's no guarantee that a sequel is coming, and if it did there's no guarantee it'll have spectator mode.

Flashy said on March 6, 2011 at 5:17 p.m.

Magma.Dragoon.

Hours said on March 6, 2011 at 6:42 p.m.

Rival Schools characters would be excellent additions. It doesn't have to be Batsu, and I'd actually prefer it be someone else anyway.

Akira would be the obvious popular choice, but there are tons of interesting RS characters they could add like Hayato, Kyoko, Nagare, Roy, Yurika, etc.

The series deserves a lot more attention.

mcfizzle said on March 6, 2011 at 7:03 p.m.

Spectator mode excuse is the same crap capcom fed you all when SF4 came out without real lobbies. Yet people still buy the excuse. If MvC3 sells well enough spec mode will come in a new release. They just didn't get around to it is the reason its not there not the rubbish about lag. All it should be sending is inputs. Its not data intensive at all.

From a business persective its not a critical feature because SF4 did well enough without it. As evidenced by half the ppl here not everyone cares. If Super MvC3 gets green lit it will be a feature to advertise.

mndy said on March 6, 2011 at 7:21 p.m.

"When Marvel vs. Capcom 3 releases in just under two weeks, the game will not have spectator mode. Players in player matches with lobbies of up to 8 people will not be able to watch the game taking place as they wait their turn. This is said to be remedied in the very near future, but still. Another feature that players would and should expect is the ability to record and save videos of their matches. This ain’t happening. And this may or may not be remedied (ouch!)."

orderofmerlin said on March 6, 2011 at 7:52 p.m.

I was thinking. you know what would make a sequel an instant purchase?

if it had new stages, more "balance", more modes (replay channel, and spectator mode, tournament mode), and most importantly more characters to the roster.

for Capcom side as long as we get Strider Hiryu and some kind of megaman and Ryu from Breath of Fire.

then Venom(or whichever symbiote character they decide upon), don't mind which other Marvel characters as long as we get more Marvel chicks.

if the mvc3 sequel gets all of this then its a no brainer purchase for me.

mag44 said on March 6, 2011 at 8:16 p.m.

@63, Him:

...

.. Are you brain damaged, or are you actually this retarded?

BATZARRO said on March 6, 2011 at 8:35 p.m.

I'm not quite sure about this but...

...Maybe BBH and Iron Fist ARE in.

crispylinks77 said on March 6, 2011 at 9:33 p.m.

Someone should ask them when they will fix spectator mode.

Utils said on March 6, 2011 at 10:40 p.m.

Fake.

Utils said on March 6, 2011 at 10:41 p.m.

I mean, it looks like someone took a BBH toy and shooped it in.

crispylinks77 said on March 6, 2011 at 11:10 p.m.

@ 70

I agree with you. Sadly most of the people here are either stupid or very rich to the point where they don't care :(

I'm getting bored of MvC3 solely on the fact that I can't watch other players play and/or showoff my skills ;)

umad said on March 6, 2011 at 11:13 p.m.

spectator was too punchy to make it.

crispylinks77 said on March 6, 2011 at 11:13 p.m.

The buying point for a sequel will depend soley on price for me. If it's over $30 then no FREAKING way. I'm tired of Capcom just stealing everyone's money.

Also it better have roughly 10 new characters and SPECTATOR MODE.

crispylinks77 said on March 6, 2011 at 11:14 p.m.

But actually, I'd pay $15 right now if they just fix spectator mode. That's the only thing I really want.

Grimmjow316 said on March 7, 2011 at 2:20 a.m.

like i mentioned above they took a huge step back now more people should be weary of SFxT.

oh well time to wait for MK

Skaz9000 said on March 7, 2011 at 5:08 a.m.

I really wish to see more Rival School characters too, but can understand the problem with character selection in VS game. The most recurring characters are shoto clones; Batsu, Kyosuke (very vaguely), Hinata (apparently similar to Sakura of Street Fighter) or in the case of the former two, have already appeared in VS games.

Still, there is a wide selection of characters with unique play styles to choose from: Akira, Roberto, Chairperson, Tiffany, Momo, Nagare ...

Personally, I'd love to see a whole new Rival Schools release, but it might be hard to get attention for it among these big-name crossovers ...

NWAndroid said on March 7, 2011 at 5:24 a.m.

There's no source, though. Dualshockers doesn't mention who told them that, if anyone at all. They just say it. Unfortunately (because I actually would like to rip Capcom for breaking promises) there isn't anything to indicate they were adding the feature for sure. Also, I think this would be a key feature promise that would be mentioned to more established gaming media outlets, not a site like Dualshockers.

If anyone has a direct quote or something from sites like Dtoid or even SRK or iPW, then I'd gladly jump on the bandwagon.

NWAndroid said on March 7, 2011 at 5:24 a.m.

Sorry for double post but

This. This. This.

hellmetal789 said on March 7, 2011 at 5:47 a.m.

"they'd be no good if the matches were full of lags."

the matches already are full of lag!!!

Raven said on March 7, 2011 at 6:47 a.m.

I don't think Capcom made an announcement saying this game doesn't have spectator mode...they just released it and people found out as they played (much to their discontent).

BFPhony said on March 7, 2011 at 6:54 a.m.

Venom, Gambit, and a megaman character? How convenient that the creator wanted to include characters that everyone else seems to want but apparently could not.

Oh, and instead of putting a Hadouken style Rival School characters, he includes Akuma... a Hadouken clone. There's plenty of non shoto characters in that game like Hyo or Kourow

I really hope its a sequel as in new vs series, like somebody else vs Capcom. Not MvC3.2, with all new features that somehow skipped the current version.

Kurow said on March 7, 2011 at 8:36 a.m.

I wish they could add powered akira, daigo or Kurow in MvC3...

cvs said on March 7, 2011 at 12:10 p.m.

That's what a livestream is for crispylinks,to "show off your skills" thats the best anyone can do for now is live stream there fights.

lmarshalljr04 said on March 7, 2011 at 12:31 p.m.

Let it go.. It's the internet

Gamer09e said on March 7, 2011 at 8:09 p.m.

All i want is Elektra to get some Redemption, and she be perfect for this game.

CONTENDER said on July 3, 2011 at 12:37 p.m.

I'm really hoping they add GHOST RIDER for marvel and for capcom should be, Wayne from Lost Planet. They should also put Strider Hiryu back. GHOSTRIDER is a badass character! his something new and never been in the mvc series.