Gouken Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition match highlights from Stiffler2100

Posted by Jonathan 'Catalyst' Grey • June 30, 2011 at 12:30 a.m. PDT
Stiffler2100 posted a short compilation of SSF4 AE match highlights showing some of the ambiguous cross ups, pressure tactics and counters Gouken can do.

Comments

Von_Kunlun_BOOF said on June 30, 2011 at 1:14 a.m.

Culture aspects of the costumes aside,I still think that bigass bead on Gouken's head is dumb.

Nice video though! :p

PierceHinchon said on June 30, 2011 at 1:33 a.m.

Very true, I spent my extra points on the costume after AE, and the bead is stupid:P

diddysinatra said on June 30, 2011 at 1:42 a.m.

Loving seeing mah dude Gouken in the spotlight here so much more! Pre-AE, I NEVER saw anything on Gouken. There isn't even a revised guide here for Gouken yet...

PierceHinchon said on June 30, 2011 at 1:45 a.m.

I'm always posting Gouken s--t:P Been maining since sf4, there's a guide on the forum and is updated with links to Gouken videos all the time.

diddysinatra said on June 30, 2011 at 1:50 a.m.

@PierceHinchon Yeah, the forums stay up to date with Gouken, but in terms of the actual official guide here...I'm pretty sure its the same guide from Vanilla...Original 10 trial challenge mode instructions and all...:'(

I've been maining GK since SF4 as well, still no good at him though...can you believe I almost never stun people? Pathetic...(mope mope mope)

PierceHinchon said on June 30, 2011 at 1:54 a.m.

We play different styles I'm assuming, I'm more reckless rushdown:P but when I zone stuns never happen.

bagel_bytez said on June 30, 2011 at 2:11 a.m.

very effective gouken, well played

Catalyst said on June 30, 2011 at 2:50 a.m.

Revised Gouken guide coming up very soon. Stay tuned.

BlackBlazeQ said on June 30, 2011 at 3:13 a.m.

Looking forward to it Catalyst!! Lot a great setups but unfortunatly some of the stuff is gimmicks that wont work well in high level play. It will work well online fighting players who have no idea how to fight gouken and they will be free to goukens gimmicks.

I love playing gouken and I try and stay away from his gimmicks and play as solid as I can. I also use to be reckless rush down with gouken that style of play with gouken will get you killed fast fighting a smart player. I feel gouken is about patience and the being the calm before the storm as refering to goukens damage output lol. Greatvid!!

PierceHinchon said on June 30, 2011 at 3:19 a.m.

You're correct, quite a lot of this stuff doesn't work at higher level play, but some of the more practical resets do, like the balrog one, if you can predict a shoryuken/any anti air, you can use the air parry to protect yourself, also the cross ups that land behind are quite safe. Also the hit on balrog before the stun was a 4 frame safe jump, which at high level play would work. That's the problem with Gouken though, most of his gimmicks are useless at pro level which leaves him with less options not making him tournament worthy at evo at least :(

BlackBlazeQ said on June 30, 2011 at 3:19 a.m.

@1 I was never a fan of that costume. I personally prefer Alt 1 from vanilla. Thats all I ever wear lol.

diddysinatra said on June 30, 2011 at 4:23 a.m.

I've never been one to use Gouken's gimmicks online, maybe that's why I don't fare so well :/ I've never learned them. I try to play solid, but I lock up when pressured in rushdown, and rushdown is AE. I'm not sure what strategies to employ or what's "smart" with Gouken, so I'm looking forward to that guide too, Thanks for the heads up Catalyst!

DarkDream said on June 30, 2011 at 4:36 a.m.

Yo Pierce. Good shiz, but I found a Gouken by the name of Mr.Unequivocal that's better than both of us.

Dude linked cr. lp x2 into cr.lk into lk tatsu fadc ultra 1 during a match. Shiz was crazy.

RandomJohn said on June 30, 2011 at 10:12 a.m.

Gouken still sucks and I'm about to quit on him after playing him for so long in reg SSFIV. Playing him online is too difficult considering the lag. Go figure. I have PSN.

@ Darkdream:

Find me that link of the match and I'll believe you. From my understanding, you can't combo gouken's tatsu after two hits on the ground. It won't even let you. Also, don't find me a match in vanilla because for all we know, it could have been a hacked version of the game.

Sinisterslam said on June 30, 2011 at 11:22 a.m.

Gouken not tournament worthy at evo? Ofcourse he is, just dont think your going to be doing these mixups, you may be able to get away with one or two, but not for long. He's a zoning character, but he has rush down capabilities. His fireball is fast as hell, if you train people not to jump with his air fireballs, you can keep people grounded. if they jump, remember your counter is a 1 frame link, if they jump over a fireball, usually they wont empty jump, but try to hit.

Existent said on June 30, 2011 at 4:36 p.m.

There aren't really any ambiguous crossups here. The dive kick can't crossup.

PierceHinchon said on June 30, 2011 at 10:25 p.m.

Seriously? The dive kick can't cross up? Haha...It can.

Novacane said on July 1, 2011 at 5:08 p.m.

They made Gouken a bit harder to use in AE now for some reason....Might be because i have to get used to the new counter button placement..OR maybe because the counter dont come out as fast anymore? hell idk i gotta go check...

Mr_Unequivocal said on November 4, 2011 at 9:39 p.m.

That was a nice vid. If anyone want to have some Gouken train. I'm alway ready. Hit me up on Live and my gamertag is Mr Unequivocal of course. Lol