CompLexity interviews Gootecks about multiple topics

Posted by Nate 'Nyoro' Young • July 18, 2011 at 12:12 p.m. PDT
CompLexity interviews Gootecks about multiple topics Darthozzen did a big favor by sending in CompLexity's interview with Gootecks where they discuss personalities in Street Fighter and eSports, the future of Cross Counter, and streaming of large events and one-man streaming.

If you want the whole interview, you can check it out here. You can also take a look at a snip of the interview below.

Adnan: In StarCraft 2 we have very popular streaming personalities like Destiny. He starts his stream and immediately he hits 5000 people.

Ryan: I think that we could be doing the same thing!

Adnan: Do you think there’s room for a personality like Destiny in fighting games? He didn’t necessarily have the greatest skills, but a huge personality.

Ryan: I think that as long as you’re better than a majority of your audience, you’re fine. Or is he like really bad?

Adnan: No, he’s grand masters level. It’s just that he hasn’t won the major tournaments so he gets a lot of hate.

Ryan: Doing big things, people are always going to talk shit about you. You could be the best player on earth, and people would still say “he’s only the best because so and so doesn’t have time”. Just because you have haters doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be doing what you’re doing.

As an outsider to StarCraft, when I was trying to play StarCraft and learn, I couldn’t get past silver league. So when I watch StarCraft, anyone I watch is way, way better than me! So if they’re remotely interesting, and I think it’s interesting and follow along, I don’t care about his real skill level. Best or someone in the top ten percent doesn’t matter to me.

Comments

Oroku_Saki said on July 18, 2011 at 12:19 p.m.

"I don’t care about his real skill level. Best or someone in the top ten percent doesn’t matter to me"

This! This is why I enjoy CrossCounter. If they improve their skills, that's all well and good, but it's their personality and interaction that I love about them.

ManaSamaSRK said on July 18, 2011 at 12:28 p.m.

AYYYE ADNAN! Lol anyways, pretty decent interview.

roarmonster said on July 18, 2011 at 12:28 p.m.

ten percent is a bit much. Although I do watch Crosscounter for their personalities, Mike Ross is undeniably really, really good. Same goes for Combofiend, and I wouldn't really be able to stand Fchamp if it wasn't for his skill.

Skill does matter, it's entertainment but people are also watching it to step up their game and learn along with the players.

They should have had Cl0ckwork in Complexity instead of Fchamp, but I guess Clock only plays one game now :(

HabinoBR said on July 18, 2011 at 12:31 p.m.

They just need our friend Mike "5000 people watching the stream" Ross to grab more viewers. Oh, and Chris Hu and Yipes for the commentary

h00dRaTT said on July 18, 2011 at 12:32 p.m.

I wish I had someone to spoon at night :(

Inquisitor said on July 18, 2011 at 1:22 p.m.

A lot of talk about personality. No, you can NOT only so far. Daigo isn't the best and most known Street Fighter of all time because he's so mad fun to watch in interviews and on stage etc. He is the best because he can read and adapt to the opponent like no other can.

So cut the crap about personalities. Not everyone can be as lovable as Gootecks and Mike (And I honestly mean that) but you'll never reach the legendary status that is Daigo Umehara.

ricefarmer said on July 18, 2011 at 2:08 p.m.

Ett said on July 18, 2011 at 2:21 p.m.

That was a pretty boring in interview.

FChamp said on July 18, 2011 at 2:38 p.m.

Haters gonna hate.
PS you're a scrub!

JasonLee said on July 18, 2011 at 2:43 p.m.

FChamp said on July 18, 2011 at 2:58 p.m.

Say what you want to say about me but you're just a hateful scrub if you're gonna bash a guy like gooteck. Have you ever met him? No I bet you haven't because a nobody like you don't have the balls or skills to come out to tournaments, beat us, and say it to our faces.

SeQuarnD said on July 18, 2011 at 3 p.m.

WHAT CHAMP IS THE BEST!
and Gootecks is okay at SSF4: AE i want to see him in action on SF3:3S:OE

Spacecacti said on July 18, 2011 at 3:02 p.m.

Hey FChamp! Why does everyone hate on your attitude? Did you do something mean?

SeQuarnD said on July 18, 2011 at 3:03 p.m.

hey it's Champ. great play man with Sim. can't wait to see more videos. I'm a Sakura player and i have a problem dealing with Sim any tips?

SeQuarnD said on July 18, 2011 at 3:04 p.m.

Champ is nice and talks trash and they can't beat him. i know why.

mfinnegan73 said on July 18, 2011 at 3:10 p.m.

Gootecks is actually really good he usually top 16 in every tournament and really only loses to very good players. He is very lame and should use different characters in marvel but in SF4 he is only loses to the best.

VojjE said on July 18, 2011 at 3:30 p.m.

Hating on gootecks is like spitting Santa in the face. He's a solid player with great footsies and a good head. I love all the work he's doing for the FGC and hope he will continue with it for a very long time.

Taxattack123 said on July 18, 2011 at 3:37 p.m.

Say what you want about Gootecks' skill, but his endeavors to expand the community and make it even bigger is a huge help to the SF scene, which makes him a very important member of the community. Having fun and interesting personalities (like gootecks himself, ross, combofiend, Skisonic, ect.) brings life into the community and makes it more appealing to outsiders, giving it the potential to be bigger. At least that's what I think. (I really don't think Gooteck's is that bad at playing anyways, he's just too much of a gentleman :P)

Taxattack123 said on July 18, 2011 at 3:38 p.m.

Gootecks could kill me in SF, anyways :(

ricefarmer said on July 18, 2011 at 3:44 p.m.

shaosam said on July 18, 2011 at 4:29 p.m.

Fighting games will never be as big as StarCraft because the community is too insular...everyone is suspicious of "corporate" sponsors and opposed to "selling out"...nobody is willing to reach out to casual players or "scrubs" in order to get more people in the games, it's the whole "MLG vs FGC" debacle. FGC needs to grow the eff up.

roknin said on July 18, 2011 at 5:01 p.m.

Wow... I didn't realize so many people questioned Gootecks' skill level. That's pretty damn absurd.

Dude does awesome work and is helping to get the community recognized. And at least from what I've watched/seen, he's got great personality. Just because he's not the loudest personality doesn't mean he has none.

sola said on July 18, 2011 at 5:09 p.m.

So many haters. It gets old.

just keep doing what you're doing Gootecks/Mike/FChamp/Combo...

ado said on July 18, 2011 at 5:11 p.m.

@21 and i think thats exactly what gootecks n mike are trying to change

these guys are literally traveling the world to get the FGC exposure and theyre like the only ones to do so, lets hope it grows

Wolfeyes187 said on July 18, 2011 at 5:24 p.m.

Gootecks doesn't ride Mike ross's coattail. It's a dynamic duo. I enjoy Mike Ross a lot more with Gooteks and visa versa. I met Mike Ross at Final Round and It wasn't the same. SO... big ups to the both of them. They make each-other better

Raven said on July 18, 2011 at 6:19 p.m.

Can't you guys shut up about your hate for F. Champ? Sure, the guy is cocky. But he has spirit and I love that about him, no matter what, he deserves respect for the hard work he puts in to be good at the game. He's a player, not an entertainer.

Gootecks/Mike Ross are running a show, obviously you need personality if you're going to run one. It's not all "skill" or all "personality," the true answer is "it depends on the situation." In entertainment, it's personality. In tournaments, it's skill.

Gootecks recognizes the "scrubs" and says that if SF is to grow, they need recognition too. The very people in this thread talking crap are the people Gootecks wants to get involved into the community. Instead of offering advice and recognizing the heart of things, all you see is the surface and take it for face value.

I didn't know this website's target audience was five year olds, my bad.

codename_yun said on July 18, 2011 at 7:25 p.m.

i kinda like that they lose a lot on their shows, it shows humility. and also because i lose a lot too lol :[

JasonLee said on July 18, 2011 at 7:40 p.m.

Inquisitor said on July 18, 2011 at 8:04 p.m.

Why the hell is everyone all of a sudden trying to defend Gootecks that EVERYONE supposedly hates on? I see only one real hate comment here. Made by JasonLee. Saying Gootecks is dull doesn't count.

To be clear. My post was not at all a hate comment. I just disagreed to a statement he made and argued against it. I love this duo and how they've evolved the community.

So stop saying everyone's hating. I'd almost say you're trolling.

JasonLee said on July 18, 2011 at 8:12 p.m.

Oroku_Saki said on July 19, 2011 at 12:11 a.m.

"The White Knights saw...."

For some reason, every time I see "White Knights", I think of a bunch of Ryu characters.