Guy Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition guide updated

Posted by Nate 'Nyoro' Young • July 17, 2011 at 1:52 p.m. PDT
Guy Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition guide updated The Arcade Edition guide for Guy has been updated by myself here on EventHubs.

Guy was a difficult character to write for due to his unusual moveset. If you can get past his unusual jump and odd normals, he is actually quite a capable and underplayed character. His defense is weak, but his mid range poking game is excellent. Here's a piece from the guide.

Guy is a great poke and punish character with ambiguous crossups, an overhead, and many baiting maneuvers. He also has a good punish game with his slide and Shoulder attacks. Guy can be played flexibly, but the best style to use is simple calculated rushdown.

Guy's problems are when he needs to get pressure off of him. His only good reversal requires EX and can never be made safe. His floaty jump also hinders his approach as it is very easy to anti-air with normals. Lastly, Guy's walkspeed is also below average, hurting his throw and approach game.

If you notice any typos, feel free to post about them in the comments.

Comments

HabinoBR said on July 17, 2011 at 1:59 p.m.

Finally a Guy guide :D Bunshinryu lives

DeadlyMoves said on July 17, 2011 at 2:10 p.m.

Great guide.. But event with all the buffs he got in AE, i still think there wont be many guy users out there

halli11 said on July 17, 2011 at 2:59 p.m.

i have had street fighter for about a week now and i main guy im having loads of fun with him but is it true that he is like lowest tier like bottom five or was that only in super i never had super just bought arcade when it came out so is he higher tier in AE?

fireinthehole said on July 17, 2011 at 3:07 p.m.

I have played Guy for a while back in SSF4 but I decided to drop him due to the fact I had a hard time pulling off wins against many characters online, especially against the S-Tiers back in SSF4. I remember trying to beat Honda or Guile using Guy in SSF4 felt like trying to punch down a brick wall with my bare hands.

But that's not the case in AE. In AE, I have a much easier time pulling off wins online against Fei-Longs, Yuns, and Yangs now in AE than I had against the S-Tiers of SSF4.

With these things in mind, I think that more people will be using Guy in AE. Back in SSF4, there people who wanted to main Guy because they thought that he was a cool character, but they ended up picking someone else because Guy had very hard times winning against certain charcters.

gtfopanda said on July 17, 2011 at 3:18 p.m.

@ 3

Guy low tier? Bottom 5? You better step up your game man, just because a character is underused it doesn't necessarily mean he's trash. Also, the fact that most people ignore is game is a huge pro.

ado said on July 17, 2011 at 3:25 p.m.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

halli11 said on July 17, 2011 at 3:30 p.m.

never said guy was trash and i was trash with him im new to street fighter and i do allright with guy in ssf4 he was bad i have heard i was just wondering if he had gotten any buffs in AE

zUkUu said on July 17, 2011 at 3:34 p.m.

guy is one of the most, if not THE most underrated character in AE. all it needs is a gamerbee for guy who plays him to his fulliest and the world will see how incredible good this character is.

KMasters said on July 17, 2011 at 4 p.m.

Balloon said on July 17, 2011 at 4:33 p.m.

I actually think Guy is somewhat overrated. He generates a lot of excitement when people watch good ones in action, and it lets people forget or ignore about some of his more serious flaws. It's not for no reason that he is put in the bottom half/bottom third of every tier list, no matter who creates it.

On topic, this guide is good and in-depth, but some bits are a little incorrect or outdated. In the comments, Who is Alpha links to his guide on the Eventhubs forums, which is more "dedicated", for lack of a better term. Not knocking Nyoro, who put a lot of work into this and made Guy very presentable. But Alpha's is really no joke.

Spacecacti said on July 17, 2011 at 4:35 p.m.

@4 You are the greatest troll, hands down.

Bushinryuken said on July 17, 2011 at 4:43 p.m.

There's no trolling there. As Guy in AE it's WAY easier to fight Yun, Yang or Fei Long than it EVER was to fight just about any of the charge characters in Super. That's what he is saying and it is completely accurate.

Nyoro said on July 17, 2011 at 4:46 p.m.

@KMasters, the frame data is being updated soon. We have a new format for it.

Balloon said on July 17, 2011 at 5:30 p.m.

@12:

Agreed. I'd rather face a Yun than an E. Honda or Guile.

Balloon said on July 17, 2011 at 5:32 p.m.

@12:

Agreed, I'd rather face Yang than Guile. At least, I have better luck there.

fireinthehole said on July 17, 2011 at 6:03 p.m.

So do you have any good reasons for calling me out as a "troll"?

I mean, any legitimate reasons other than the fact that you're an idiot scrub who doesn't know what you are talking about???

fireinthehole said on July 17, 2011 at 6:14 p.m.

Yea back in SSF4, I had the worst trouble with online Honda and Guile when trying to use Guy. In SSF4, those two characters had tools which made their turtle-style defense almost impenetrable for a lot of online Guy users.

SSF4-ChunLi and SSF4-Dictator were also hard tough fights for SSF4-guy, though not as hard as Guile and Honda. But for some reason, I never seemed to have too much trouble against SSf4-Boxers online when using Guy. Though that's just me and it's probably because I just happened to run into more scrubby boxers online.

Matter of fact, Guile and Honda are still hard matchups for Guy in AE. But just not as hard as they were in SSF4 because the combination of nerfs created more holes in their defenses in addition to Guy's buffs now allows Guy to get in much easier than it was for him back in SSF4.

Bushinryuken said on July 17, 2011 at 6:39 p.m.

Yeah, I completely agree with you #17. That's why I REALLY don't like when people talk about how "balanced" SSFIV was. They had no idea what it was like playing as Guy against ANY of those charge characters you mentioned. It definitely didn't feel like a balanced game at all from our perspective. It can still be tough at times, but I definitely feel like the Boxer matchup is much better because of him not having a free runaway headbutt and because of our 3F cr.LK. Glad to see others felt the same way I did in SSFIV.

samuraix025 said on July 17, 2011 at 7:11 p.m.

as a guy main since alpha up til now I'll like to answer #3's question, in SSf4 guy was the top low tier. guile and honda were nearly impossible. in AE Honda match is in my opinion 6:4 in guy's favor mostly due to honda's hit-able box being moved on head butt. Deejay plays just like guile now with a better AA so that match up is harder now.

samuraix025 said on July 17, 2011 at 7:22 p.m.

also cata target Mp>Hp whiffs on crouching shotos and smaller fighters, on hit even with ryu ken akuma and dan. because of that MP>run slide should be used on hit, or stop on block. the timing takes practice though.

zUkUu said on July 17, 2011 at 8:07 p.m.

rose next please. wtf that guide is from vanilla sf4 O_O

Wardog said on July 17, 2011 at 8:13 p.m.

Alright! about time,lol... i agree with people who said about Guy having trouble in SSFIV againts Guile and E.honda. also i hated when some of his moves go over players head.

tokyobassist said on July 18, 2011 at 2:06 a.m.

Guy's gimmicks are legit if you actually know how to play him. He's my main in every game minus Alpha 3. He definitely got improved but charge characters like Chun & Bison still frustrate me that's why I use Cody & Yun to help me out on bad matches.

nebbiez said on July 18, 2011 at 4:33 a.m.

@Nyoro

I've noticed a few mistakes in there. Just off the top of my head, the input for the overhead is forward + MP, and you can no longer cancel standing MP into MP hozanto (only LP and EX work now).

I've spent a while comparing the Super and AE frame data for Guy and would like to contribute some bits and pieces to your guide if I may? What would be the best way of contacting you?

Nyoro said on July 18, 2011 at 12:20 p.m.

Nebbiez, the best way is to tell me in these comments (I read all of them). After I make the fixes, I credit each person who took the time to find typos or contribute their own notes.

By the way, nice catch on those.

Existent said on July 18, 2011 at 1:51 p.m.

I guess I'll make some corrections too. Run Stop after TC is zero frames on block, it's completely safe. And Ex Run Stop was omitted. I mention it because the guide says that Ex Run is a bad choice on wakeup, when it's a legitimate option if you use the Stop due to its armor .

nebbiez said on July 18, 2011 at 3:44 p.m.

The EX run slide is projectile invincible right from startup up to the last active frame. This is probably his most significant buff against projectile characters whom he struggled against before, most particularly Rose. If Rose has her orbs and does a soul spark, she can eat a free EX run slide every time. Also useful against Dhalsim's yoga catastrophe and many other projectile ultras depending on the situation.

samuraix025 said on July 18, 2011 at 3:49 p.m.

TC>run stop is not zero frames its minus 2

Existent said on July 18, 2011 at 3:53 p.m.

No, it's not. It's zero.

Existent said on July 18, 2011 at 4:02 p.m.

My mistake, it's -1.

samuraix025 said on July 18, 2011 at 4:47 p.m.

unless it changed with AE. i know in super, chun li's super can catch a run stop, and her super has a 2 frame start up, but can be safe against rog's lp making the run stop - 2.

Raven said on July 18, 2011 at 7:41 p.m.

I think of Guy as the great warrior hidden amongst the cloud of other, more intuitive fighters. Guy requires work, execution practice, and solid knowledge if you don't want to die against charge characters.

But...why would you compare Yun/Fei to Guile/Honda in terms of difficulty? Charge characters are defensive monsters and turtles, a rush down character's worse nightmare. Yun wants to get in on you...so getting in on him won't be hard at all. It's the keep out or keep away characters that present difficulty of the highest degree.

If you watch Shin Akuma's channel, you know how good Guy is. He requires work, like Gen, he has potential but its lost in the mainstream because he requires work. The more work a character requires, the less likely they are to get picked up.

Guy has the ability to get in with his Run/Slide and his corner pressure is one of the best in the game. Once you master Guy, you can wreck fireball characters and make them fall to your rush down techniques. Charge characters will always be hard, unlike zoners, they are hard hitting and usually strong "up close."

I also think of Guy as Dee Jay, both have great potential. It's a combination of their names not being as well known and the fact that they require craft to use well. A character can be underrated for many reasons, character quality is only one aspect. In Vanilla, Viper was slept on and saw as a "bad" character by many. That was until she started blowing people up in tournaments, and realized just how dangerous she was in the hands of a good execution layer.

I'd easily rate Guy as middle mid-tier, definitely no less. I'd place him right alongside Dudley, except his ability to get in looks a lot better in my opinion. The only way to really know how good he is, is to learn him and fight good players. Practice with him, learn his combos, his frame data, his baits and punishes, etc. Though, you'll quickly come to realize that in fighting games, player skill often outranks match-ups in a 2 to 1 / 3 to 1 fashion is not more (though not in all cases).

Raven said on July 18, 2011 at 7:44 p.m.

*if not more

Existent said on July 18, 2011 at 9:37 p.m.

Watch the beginning of this then.

nebbiez said on July 19, 2011 at 4:40 a.m.

@32 All a tier list is designed to show is which characters have the most/least matchups in their advantage. The trouble with Guy is that he is a gimmick character and most players have no idea how to do deal with him because they don't play enough good Guy players to learn the matchup. Guy is low in the tier list because compared to the higher tiers, he lacks consistent, safe, viable tools in an awful lot of situations. Sure some of his toughest matchups from Super have got a lot better in AE (particularly Rose and Balrog). I'd probably change those matchups, along with Honda (thanks to his nerfs), down to a 6-4 now rather than 7-3. I maintain that Guile and Deejay are both 7-3 matchups against Guy though. They have all the right tools to deal with Guy's offensive gimmicks.

But overall if you were to go and compare all of Guy's individual matchups, I'm sure you'll see why he is still considered a low tier character. He does have massive potential and you can kick all sorts of ass with him, but that largely is down to one of two things; getting lucky, or your opponent not knowing what to do in the Guy matchup.

DarkTiger2156 said on April 11, 2013 at 9:27 p.m.

I see alot of "He is a low tier/middle tier character." I use Guy as my main character. Here's a list of reasons WHY he is an amazing character and WHERE you can use him effectively:

1. Fireball characters (i.e. Ryu, Ken, etc.): there are at least 2 frames of weakness when a fireball character is launching his/her projectile at a character. There are 2 tactics that a Guy player can use that can open up a whole plethora of options: Hozanto, and the JumpFW+Hard Kick. The ordeal behind this is that Hozanto, especially the Hard Punch one, is a great way to close the gap just to rattle the opponent to start realizing that he has to either, a. perform a wake-up attack after being knocked back, or b. block often just because Guy is now in perfect position to start using his Bushin Gokusaken into other EX moves. He has the best way to combine his regular attacks into EX moves and into Bushin Hasoken/Bushin Goraisenpujin. Against fireball characters, once they try to launch that fireball, they have approx. .75 secs to recover before Guy makes damage, in which Guy is one of the few people who can close the gap in multiple ways.

2. Charge Characters (i.e. Honda, Guile, Chun-li): Guy's strategy behind this is to be patient. Guile, the best charge guy in the game, has alot of defensive counter moves while being able to be in a crouch position. But the issue is that Guy can open that guard with good cross-ups (i.e. Elbow Drop-->Target Combo (MP->HP)-->Bushin Senpukyaku (M)if Guile is crouched). Also, Guy can poke at a sitting character with a Run-->Shadow Kick to get close then play at him/her until she counterattacks to use Guy's ultra to get some big damage in.

Guy's only weaknesses are that:

a. He has no fireball of his own
b. He has a longer jump sequence, which makes him very vulnerable to aerial attacks and anti-aerial attacks.
c. His Run ability messes up alot of combos if you attempt to combo his ultra too many times. (It sometimes glitches into EX Run. :/)
and lastly, d. He has 3 openings in terms of counter attacks. First of them being after he lands his spin kick, the second during his LP, MP, HP, to HK combo, right after he attempts his HP portion, and then his third opening is when he does his Run. He has to wait .75 seconds before he can perform the next portion of his attack, leaving him unable to stop immediately and block if anything comes at him.

If any of this makes sense to you, then you should understand that Guy is a VERY dangerous character to play against if you don't know his strategy.